HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Quick look at next summer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2012, 06:29 PM
  #1
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,599
vCash: 500
Quick look at next summer

I know, a lot can happen in a year, but I just wanted to point out how good Buffalo will be sitting next summer. They have the following contract situations...

RFAs - Hodgson, Adam, Weber, Enroth. Only Hodgson might cost more than 2 mil per, and Adam and Weber aren't even needed.

UFAs - Roy (replaced by Grigorenko), Ellis (anyone), Regehr (McNabb), Leopold (Brennan), Sulzer (Weber). That's over 12 mil off the books, and only Sulzer might be worth re-signing.

So with over 7 mil in cap space this summer (after Ennis and Kaleta re-sign) and another 12 mil off the books next summer, and another likely increase in the cap ceiling of 4-6 mil, that would total about 23-25 mil. Take away the money to re-sign or call up other players and Buffalo should still have in the range of 18-20 mil to work with next summer, and won't lose anyone critical in the process.

Start making your UFA wish list now...lol.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:48 PM
  #2
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I'd throw Pysyk into that conversation as defensive replacement as all signs point to him likely being ready after 1 year in the AHL.

Keep in mind that the player's percentage of revenue may go down in the next CBA.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:00 PM
  #3
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Id consider re-signing regher

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:10 PM
  #4
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,082
vCash: 500
They have $11-12m to sign two players (Ennis and Kaleta) this summer, so $7 might be a bit conservative, as I don't see those two making $4-5m combined.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
  #5
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I'd throw Pysyk into that conversation as defensive replacement as all signs point to him likely being ready after 1 year in the AHL.

Keep in mind that the player's percentage of revenue may go down in the next CBA.
Yeah, I'd peg him in there over Brennan on the OP's list. Maybe it's because I don't like Brennan as much as most but I don't see a spot for him on the Sabres in the near future and down the line.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:26 PM
  #6
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
I like how a lot of people have already written off Luke Adam.

Just curious, what were those that have opinions of him late last October?

I guess I am willing to give the kid a chance to show me he isn't washed up at the age of 22.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
  #7
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I like how a lot of people have already written off Luke Adam.

Just curious, what were those that have opinions of him late last October?

I guess I am willing to give the kid a chance to show me he isn't washed up at the age of 22.
Well, he has plenty of room for improvement in his game and he needs to find his scoring touch again, so until he does both of those things, he's a non-factor.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:36 PM
  #8
AdamsApple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I like how a lot of people have already written off Luke Adam.

Just curious, what were those that have opinions of him late last October?

I guess I am willing to give the kid a chance to show me he isn't washed up at the age of 22.
Exactly what I was thinking. For a guy who a scored 50 goals in his last season of juniors and then was rookie of the year of the AHL, then scored a point a game for his first 20 last season in the nhl, Sabres fans were real fast to turn on him. Such a negative bunch...

AdamsApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:42 PM
  #9
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsApple View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. For a guy who a scored 50 goals in his last season of juniors and then was rookie of the year of the AHL, then scored a point a game for his first 20 last season in the nhl, Sabres fans were real fast to turn on him. Such a negative bunch...
That's probably because he was put in a favorable situation and failed to produce.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
  #10
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, he has plenty of room for improvement in his game and he needs to find his scoring touch again, so until he does both of those things, he's a non-factor.
Thank you, Mr. Obvious.

I guess young kids never lose confidence, or have a bad year, do they? Might as well throw him to the trash.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
  #11
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,380
vCash: 500
Don't worry all the good 13 UFAs (perry getzlaf edler etc) will all be re-signed to 10 year deals

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
  #12
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Thank you, Mr. Obvious.

I guess young kids never lose confidence, or have a bad year, do they? Might as well throw him to the trash.

Why are you trying to shove words in his mouth? ... He never called him trash... All he stated was truth. The kid is struggling ...as of now he hasn't made a place for himself .. doesn't mean he can't change it.

I think you're just looking to argue.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:51 PM
  #13
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,599
vCash: 500
I'm not writing him off, or Weber. I'm just saying that based on other players' potential, those two may not even be necessary to re-sign in the event they don't progress.

Topic is about how good their cap situation will be next summer. Let's not get derailed over Adam. If anything let's get derailed about what to do with that cap space.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:00 PM
  #14
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Why are you trying to shove words in his mouth? ... He never called him trash... All he stated was truth. The kid is struggling ...as of now he hasn't made a place for himself .. doesn't mean he can't change it.

I think you're just looking to argue.
No, actually, I think you are the one coming in with his chest all puffed out looking for a confrontation.

Go ahead and refute my statement that a lot of Sabres fans are looking to throw this kid to the curb. Anyone that has read these boards since the New Year knows that to be true.

I'd rather give him a little time before I call him a waste.....especially with the AHL season he had 2 short years ago.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:04 PM
  #15
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
No, actually, I think you are the one coming in with his chest all puffed out looking for a confrontation.

Go ahead and refute my statement that a lot of Sabres fans are looking to throw this kid to the curb. Anyone that has read these boards since the New Year knows that to be true.

I'd rather give him a little time before I call him a waste.....especially with the AHL season he had 2 short years ago.
Well, he was playing wing alongside career AHL'er Mark Mancari for most of his rookie season, so that may have had a lot to do with his scoring prowess.

He's not really capable of creating offense by himself at this point and needs to improve a number of things if he's going to stick in the NHL.
I'm not writing him off but I'm also not penciling him in for anything until he shows improvement.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:08 PM
  #16
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
No, actually, I think you are the one coming in with his chest all puffed out looking for a confrontation.

Go ahead and refute my statement that a lot of Sabres fans are looking to throw this kid to the curb. Anyone that has read these boards since the New Year knows that to be true.

I'd rather give him a little time before I call him a waste.....especially with the AHL season he had 2 short years ago.
How does he have his chest puffed out looking to refute your statement when he isn't even involved in the conversation other than to comment on how he perceived your response to jfb?

At any rate, I seem to recall a lot of Sabres fans in October who weren't overly impressed in evaluation of Adam despite being impressed with he and his line's success. And show me a line-up for 2013-2014, based on the premise of this thread, where he not only fits but fits above other options. The fact is, he doesn't right now and he has to work to prove he does.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:11 PM
  #17
Loungie
Registered User
 
Loungie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I'd throw Pysyk into that conversation as defensive replacement as all signs point to him likely being ready after 1 year in the AHL.

Keep in mind that the player's percentage of revenue may go down in the next CBA.
And armia? Even though he's a forward would he have a shot at the team?

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:12 PM
  #18
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,599
vCash: 500
Players like Getzlaf and Perry will be available, but I'd REALLY like Alexander Edler to join back up with his old partner Ehrhoff. In fact I predict this right here, right now. Edler is a Sabre next summer. Top four will be top notch.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:13 PM
  #19
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'm not writing him off, or Weber. I'm just saying that based on other players' potential, those two may not even be necessary to re-sign in the event they don't progress.

Topic is about how good their cap situation will be next summer. Let's not get derailed over Adam. If anything let's get derailed about what to do with that cap space.
OK, for that I apologize. I felt you were basically tossing Adam away when there still may be some nice potential and productivity with him. The way I look at it is I still think we can use size and toughness on the wing and I feel Adam has the potential to become a good 3rd liner in this league.

That is, assuming the Sabres envision him as a winger.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:13 PM
  #20
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungie View Post
And armia? Even though he's a forward would he have a shot at the team?
Wasn't even thinking. Armia, certainly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Players like Getzlaf and Perry will be available, but I'd REALLY like Alexander Edler to join back up with his old partner Ehrhoff. In fact I predict this right here, right now. Edler is a Sabre next summer. Top four will be top notch.
There's no way Getzlaf and Perry are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
OK, for that I apologize. I felt you were basically tossing Adam away when there still may be some nice potential and productivity with him. The way I look at it is I still think we can use size and toughness on the wing and I feel Adam has the potential to become a good 3rd liner in this league.

That is, assuming the Sabres envision him as a winger.
* For the purposes of this discussion, by "third line player" I mean that in the typical sense, not in the sense of "we are rolling 3 scoring lines"

See, this is the kind of disconnect between you and I imagine the majority of us. Of course he could become a "third line"-type player but there's absolutely no evidence to indicate that, so there's no evidence to currently believe much less bank on it. Virtually all of his weaknesses are things which should be strengths for 3rd line players: he's not physical, he's not good defensively, and his struggles with skating negatively impact him in transition.

Right now I view him as a scoring line or bust player. He was awful without Vanek and Poms to make use of his strengths.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:16 PM
  #21
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,599
vCash: 500
Maybe, don't want them anyway. I was just highliting some bigger names. I want Edler.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:17 PM
  #22
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
That's probably because he was put in a favorable situation and failed to produce.
True, but I think he's too young to give up on. Half a season, regardless of the situation, isn't enough to place judgment on a kid that's produced as well as he has at lower levels.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:25 PM
  #23
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,204
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
True, but I think he's too young to give up on. Half a season, regardless of the situation, isn't enough to place judgment on a kid that's produced as well as he has at lower levels.

He's got to improve in whatever way he can. If he's not scoring, his footspeed, d-zone coverage and backchecking are pretty much rubbish. He's large but not physical. The wheels came off about as badly as we've seen for a Sabre prospect in many a year, the fall from penthouse to outhouse was dramatic. That said, adversity is often a fine motivator. I'm interested to see if he's worked on his skating to the point that he's not laboring to keep up -- the easier he can get around, the less energy he's going to have to use getting into scoring position or getting back on the backcheck, the more he will be able to do it.

And it would be nice to see him do something a bit more like his training buddy Clowe and finish his checks. Stop being a *****, use the stocky build and rub a man out more than once a month. Again, something that would benefit from quicker feet and a more efficient stride -- getting there and being able to finish it without worrying about being slow to get back. So much of his game could improve if he can get a little bit (or a lot a'bit) more out of his skating.

He's thickly built, has a long reach and knows how to get into areas to score. We've seen that he knows what to do in tight. Can he pick himself up, dust himself off, and bounce back? It remains to be seen. At this point, he has to re-prove himself.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
  #24
dkollidas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
We'll see what happens, but Grigs pans out as a top-line center, and Myers really develops from a top-2/3 guy into a sure-fire #1, the next 10-15 years here could be really great. They could be the stars and have a great supporting cast around them (Hodgson, Ennis, Stafford, Armia, Gerbe, Girgensons, Foligno, Tropp, Catenacci, Vanek & Pominville- they'll be the old guys who sticks around and win one with us. Sekera, McNabb, Pysyk, Ehrhoff, Sulzer, Brennan) just need to find a successor to Miller... just in case.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:01 PM
  #25
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,095
vCash: 500
Personally, next summer, I'd like to see the Sabres focus on getting a top notch goalie prospect. IF Enroth or another kid in the pipeline doesn't show something impressive this coming season.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.