HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travis Moen re-signed for 4 years, $1.85M per year (modified NTC)

Old
06-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Mathieu Darche ‏@matdarche52
Congrats to Noki and Moe on their new contracts!!
He's looking for a pity contract.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

If I had heard this before hearing about the cap increase, I might have been disappointed. Now, though, it gets a solid 'meh'.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:01 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Travis Moen in the future playoffs...........equals gold.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
He's looking for a pity contract.
That's almost like an ex saying "Hey, I heard you got a new girlfriend. Congrats, I am so happy you found someone! You deserve to be happy."

You know the moment she logs off, she's carving his face out of every picture yelling, "Why couldn't he come back to me? WHY!?"

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
gusfring

We better be busy on July 1st or this team will be terrible again.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
That's almost like an ex saying "Hey, I heard you got a new girlfriend. Congrats, I am so happy you found someone! You deserve to be happy."

You know the moment she logs off, she's carving his face out of every picture yelling, "Why couldn't he come back to me? WHY!?"
You sir, understand life.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
The team was 28th in the league. The season is over now. Take the same line-up with all the new staff. Do you think it's still 28th in the league? Isn't this team more talented than a 28th position team? I'm sure of it.
Also, add Markov to the line-up and this team is automatically better. He alone can move us at least 5 spots in the standings.

And it's not staue quo. At least not yet. There's also no indication we're going that way as it's just normal to re-sign a few players. Wait for Sunday before making such a statement. Chances are we're going to get at least one top 6 and one bottom 6 forward.

We don't need a complete overhaul. We need to clean the problems and add a bit of fresh blood. Keeping Moen sure won't make us a worst team.
You think you're sure, but it's a 28th place team nonetheless. Without serious changes on the ice I fully expect it to be in that vicinity of the standings next year. In any case the current roster is not competitive in the championship sense and if you ice this team for a hundred years it still won't be. Change at all levels is needed.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Plekanec is the centerpiece to that second scoring line. It's who they put on his wings that will make or break the line. Gionta can be one, but he could also create a perfect third line with Moen and Eller too.

However, Moen should strictly be used as a third line winger. I love his defensive game and his ability to be a physical presence that changes the pace of the game.
The problem I see with that theory is we all ***** & whine about how this team needs to get bigger & younger especially down the middle & here we have a 1st round pick, with size & skill, that we want to continue to bury on the third line with a bunch of pluggers.

If there is no attempt to allow Eller to mature into a top six player on this team, then it is time to quit all the whining & *****ing about this team never improving.

Eller needs to be giving the opportunity to prove his worth, not playing third line. There has to be a decision for the best of this teams future, either Plekanec becomes a $5 mill checking center or DD is not a core piece of the future & he must be moved aside, because he will never play a bottom six role in this league.

Who are the top six as it's stands now: Patches, Cole, Pleks, Gionta, Eller & Desharnias??? One of which is 5'7" 170 lbs & another that is 5'5" 170 lbs.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
The problem I see with that theory is we all ***** & whine about how this team needs to get bigger & younger especially down the middle & here we have a 1st round pick, with size & skill, that we want to continue to bury on the third line with a bunch of pluggers.

If there is no attempt to allow Eller to mature into a top six player on this team, then it is time to quit all the whining & *****ing about this team never improving.

Eller needs to be giving the opportunity to prove his worth, not playing third line. There has to be a decision for the best of this teams future, either Plekanec becomes a $5 mill checking center or DD is not a core piece of the future & he must be moved aside, because he will never play a bottom six role in this league.

Who are the top six as it's stands now: Patches, Cole, Pleks, Gionta, Eller & Desharnias??? One of which is 5'7" 170 lbs & another that is 5'5" 170 lbs.
Let him mature first. As good (and big) as he is, his skill level is still not up to part with Desharnais or Plekanec. At that rate, what happens when you have Galchenyuk up with the Habs too? Obviously something will need to happen. As of right now, you have Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, White, Nokelainen, Gomez. All centres.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
You think you're sure, but it's a 28th place team nonetheless. Without serious changes on the ice I fully expect it to be in that vicinity of the standings next year. In any case the current roster is not competitive in the championship sense and if you ice this team for a hundred years it still won't be. Change at all levels is needed.
Like I said, having Markov is a serious change. Not enough to be a cup contender, and no, the actual team won't be a cup contender...but it's not gonna be a bottom 5 team. There are too many good elements on the team ; Price, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Cole, Subban, Markov...

While I agree that changes are necessary, I can't see a problem with Moen re-signing. He won't be a game changer, but he's a good role player.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Just getting Markov and Gionta back are serious changes. All star d-man and 25-30 goal scorer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:18 PM
HomaridII

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
Biggest snag in Moen's #Habs contract: his fax machine in Swift Current was broken. Had to drive to father-in-law's to receive it

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Just getting Markov and Gionta back are serious changes. All star d-man and 25-30 goal scorer.
Yeah I forgot Gionta. When you substitute Darche with Gionta and Campoli with Markov, you know you're gonna be better.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:20 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
There's just something about Darche that annoys me. He can't skate, he can't shoot, he can't hit (oh lord he can't hit) but he just seems to be everywhere. Interviews, Habs promo videos, advertisements, ice-time. If or when he takes up coaching I feel like he'll never shut up.
Peter Regin disagrees

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
If the presence, or lack thereof, of Moen is considered 'serious' then you know the team is in trouble. I think you are giving Moen too much credit. Changing up bottom line players isn't going to change much if anything. Bergevin has yet to make any roster move that be deemed 'serious'. We'll see how he handles the top 6, top 4, and Price. THAT's where the most important parts of teams tend to lie.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Yeah I forgot Gionta. When you substitute Darche with Gionta and Campoli with Markov, you know you're gonna be better.
Even with no additions, there is a lot of room for improvent inside the team.

Markov gave us nothing last year.
Gionta can give us 5x more if he can stay healthy
Eller took a step, he can take another.
Plekanec should be better wirth better linemates.
Bourque played the worst half season of his career, he can be 5x better.
Diaz and Emelin were rookies, I can see them taking a big step.
Kaberle played with a poor fit in Campoli all year, if he shows up in better shape and you give him a good stay at home partner(Salvador) he acn be much better.

If you make 3-4 solid additions(2 solid ones and 1-2 depth players) would also go a long way.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:39 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Travis Moen resigning here long term.......means a whole lot in terms of what direction this team must be going.
I can hardly wait to see the next. "Confirmed with Link"

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Great news, Travis is well liked by the guys in the room. Awesome news to start the weekend

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I really hope we sign Prust, or another player who can play and fight. We need to help insulate Moen and White so they don't have to fight all the battles with Bourque kinda helping if someone goes after him. Noks can handle himself, but not really well.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
We better be busy on July 1st or this team will be terrible again.
Thing is the rest of the East is also getting stronger and the top teams getting even better. It sucks but the way I look at it another bad year will just make things better down the road and will make us competitive for years after

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
If the presence, or lack thereof, of Moen is considered 'serious' then you know the team is in trouble. I think you are giving Moen too much credit. Changing up bottom line players isn't going to change much if anything. Bergevin has yet to make any roster move that be deemed 'serious'. We'll see how he handles the top 6, top 4, and Price. THAT's where the most important parts of teams tend to lie.
Sure, but there's no big-s Solution out there in free agency so in my mind change has to happen incrementally with upgrades at any level possible. So far Moen is a meh signing, and Noke is a complete head scratcher.

This frustrates me like discussions about cap space, and how people sigh with relief when they know that there's enough cap room to keep all of our current players. Some fans don't want to keep all of our current players, we want *better* ones.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:08 PM
HockeyF3ind

Very happy to have Moen at that cap hit. He most certainly could have gotten 2 mil on the open market with the cap increase, perhaps not for 4 years tho. Its a good value contract and we need big bodies like moen who hit, block shots, and pot the occasional goal.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
Biggest snag in Moen's #Habs contract: his fax machine in Swift Current was broken. Had to drive to father-in-law's to receive it
So that's why Bergevin had to boost the initial 1.8 to 1.85M, Moen needs to buy himself a new fax now.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I really hope we sign Prust, or another player who can play and fight. We need to help insulate Moen and White so they don't have to fight all the battles with Bourque kinda helping if someone goes after him. Noks can handle himself, but not really well.
Well if Prust has any dreams in Montreal ,he best come correct .

He can't demand more than Moen ,and get it here.

If Montreal is a place you like to play Prust, love to have you .

1.2 million max

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-29-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Sure, but there's no big-s Solution out there in free agency so in my mind change has to happen incrementally with upgrades at any level possible. So far Moen is a meh signing, and Noke is a complete head scratcher.

This frustrates me like discussions about cap space, and how people sigh with relief when they know that there's enough cap room to keep all of our current players. Some fans don't want to keep all of our current players, we want *better* ones.
There's nothing wrong with wanting better ones, I'm sure Bergevin wants better players too. The issue obviously is how to get them.

Are there bottom 6 wingers out there better than Moen? For sure. But the question is whether using up some of the little assets we have to begin with to upgrade a minor impact position like a 13th forward (Noke) or a 3rd/4th line LW (Moen) is worth it. Granted, I don't really get the Noke signing either but I'd imagine it's the 'depth center faceoff guy' we tend to give up a draft pick every season to acquire. To be honest, I wouldn't care too much if he was indeed our 13th forward since I'd expect him on the bench most of the year.

The Habs only just finished hiring the management group so I think we'll see more 'impact' roster moves soon. I'd like to think so at least...wouldn't make too much sense otherwise. I don't expect a major overhaul, other teams would have to actually want the garbage, but I'm confident we'll see something.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote