HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travis Moen re-signed for 4 years, $1.85M per year (modified NTC)

Old
06-29-2012, 10:32 PM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...673/story.html

“Until you play in Montreal, you don’t realize how amazing it is to play there, all the legends and history,” Moen said Friday. “Once you play in Montreal, you’re a Habs fan for life.”

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

What a guy...take a team full of him .

Quote:
“Until you play in Montreal, you don’t realize how amazing it is to play there, all the legends and history,” Moen said Friday. “Once you play in Montreal, you’re a Habs fan for life.”
Quote:
“We’ve rented in Montreal the last three years,” Moen said. “But with this contract, we may look to buy now. Something with a nice backyard.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz1zEyAvGxd

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Sure, but there's no big-s Solution out there in free agency so in my mind change has to happen incrementally with upgrades at any level possible. So far Moen is a meh signing, and Noke is a complete head scratcher.

This frustrates me like discussions about cap space, and how people sigh with relief when they know that there's enough cap room to keep all of our current players. Some fans don't want to keep all of our current players, we want *better* ones.
Not sure what you're getting at really..

Everybody wants better players, but free agency hasn't started and we're not in a position to make these amazing trades.
Moen was going to re-sign and the term is long, but the money is good, no reason to jump for joy, no reason to cry either. Noky is a right handed center good at faceoffs, we needed a 4th line center. Instead of signing a new one every year or trading picks, Halpern and Moore, might as well keep him.

But really, these guys are decent/good 3rd/4th liners, improving them isn't really the important part. We have to improve the top 6 and bring in better depth. We don't have to sign a superstar. Just make smart signings, like taking a risk on guys like Lats or Mueller that will likely come in quite cheap. If they pass their medicals, then the risk/reward is pretty interesting. Always can aim for the bigger names, but you know..I'm not even sure I'll be interested in knowing how much they'll be asking for.

Bergevin said in his post-hiring presser, there's a lot of work to do, and it's not going to take one year. He also said his philosophy in building a winner is through good drafting and player development. So, I'm guessing that it's what's gonna happen, so prepare to be patient buddy.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:56 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
We better be busy on July 1st or this team will be terrible again.
We won't be terrible if we are reasonable healthy. We have enough good players to be very competitive, but I agree, picking up a few more assets can certainly help.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
We better be busy on July 1st or this team will be terrible again.
This team isn't good enough to be in a position where being busy on July 1 will do anything to make this team less terrible (barring a unexpected Parise signing). You are expecting too much of the team if you think signing some mid-level players will cause significant improvements. This is the Flames way to management and I hope the Habs take it relatively slow. Take this team apart slowly and improve it piece by piece. Quick UFA rebuilds isn't a good strategy (see Gainey 09)

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Miller Time

like it.

4 years is a big commitment to a guy of his role/caliber who is already 30... but Moen's locker room presence, attitude & work ethic all give him intangibles that are of value even if his play falls off in the last year or two of the deal... and since he's not exactly relying on his skating ability or physical prowess as it is, I doubt we will see that much of a drop off during his term.

1.85M$ is a solid cap hit for what he brings to the table.

good signing Bergie!

hope I'm as happy with the Subban/Price deals

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:40 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
This team isn't good enough to be in a position where being busy on July 1 will do anything to make this team less terrible (barring a unexpected Parise signing). You are expecting too much of the team if you think signing some mid-level players will cause significant improvements. This is the Flames way to management and I hope the Habs take it relatively slow. Take this team apart slowly and improve it piece by piece. Quick UFA rebuilds isn't a good strategy (see Gainey 09)
I would like the team to not finish in the basement of the conference - I know that's alot to ask.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:42 PM
ROSSter

For me its playoffs or bottom. No 9th or 10th place finish. Id like the team to go for their best but recognize that their better years are in the future. Nathan Mckinnon would be nice.

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Undertakerqc

Awesome signing, Moen is a true warrior who performs well in the playoff. We need more of his time signed on sunday. (ie: Ott, Prust)

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSter View Post
For me its playoffs or bottom. No 9th or 10th place finish. Id like the team to go for their best but recognize that their better years are in the future. Nathan Mckinnon would be nice.
Fortunely, next year draft will net you quite a good prospect has next years draft is one of the best in years most scouts will agree. Even if you finish 9th or 10th. But he we are to miss the playoffs, the lower the better.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:49 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
Biggest snag in Moen's #Habs contract: his fax machine in Swift Current was broken. Had to drive to father-in-law's to receive it
Would not have happened to Laraque thats for sure

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

REALLY nice signing.. I was hoping for 2.3-2.7 1.8 for a guy like moen ? give me 5 more so I can fill my bottom six!!!!!

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:56 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with wanting better ones, I'm sure Bergevin wants better players too. The issue obviously is how to get them.

Are there bottom 6 wingers out there better than Moen? For sure. But the question is whether using up some of the little assets we have to begin with to upgrade a minor impact position like a 13th forward (Noke) or a 3rd/4th line LW (Moen) is worth it. Granted, I don't really get the Noke signing either but I'd imagine it's the 'depth center faceoff guy' we tend to give up a draft pick every season to acquire. To be honest, I wouldn't care too much if he was indeed our 13th forward since I'd expect him on the bench most of the year.

The Habs only just finished hiring the management group so I think we'll see more 'impact' roster moves soon. I'd like to think so at least...wouldn't make too much sense otherwise. I don't expect a major overhaul, other teams would have to actually want the garbage, but I'm confident we'll see something.
Who is "garbage"on the habs other than Gomez?

Even in an awful year Kaberle still put up good numbers and was consistently one of the best d-men on the team at moving the puck up.

Bourque has average dsomething like 24 goals a year since he became a fulltime NHLér. For 3.333 what more can you ask?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:57 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

I'm sure you're excited about the 240 hours of saved time next season you won't spend watching hockey games when you're so sure of the outcome

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

Even in an awful year Kaberle still put up good numbers and was consistently one of the best d-men on the team at moving the puck up.

Bourque has average dsomething like 24 goals a year since he became a fulltime NHLér. For 3.333 what more can you ask?
If you want to talk about career average for Bourque, might as well do the same for Gomez and then he'll be 'overpayed' but not 'garbage'. The reality though is that Bourque WAS garbage for us last year.

I mean I'm still giving him a chance to get back on track this year (the team should have much more of a clear direction hopefully), but it's a bit unfair to look at him and talk about 'career average' to say he's fine with the cap hit. If he plays like last year, he is not at all fine for the cap hit. I don't care about how much he produced 3 years ago.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
I would like the team to not finish in the basement of the conference - I know that's alot to ask.
We'll have to have a lot of bad things happen for that to happen again. As bad as last season was, we were only a couple points from not getting a lottery pick. It wasn't an easy feat. Overpaying a bunch of players in a quick fix attempt would be making the same mistake Gainey did in 2009. These 'quick fixes' depleted the prospect pool and left us with a lot of aging high cap hits. I'm not sure doing something similar again will undo this damage. I prefer a more calculated approach.

Quote:

Who among them will garner a positive return? I just can't see GMs lining up to acquire Kaberles and Bourques from us and be willing to give up assets that can make us 'better' as earl put it.

Like I said, "I don't expect a major overhaul, other teams would have to actually want the garbage, but I'm confident we'll see something." I certainly won't be surprised to see most of our 'garbage' still on the team at season's start. Hopefully they do something to elevate their values.

Some people are expecting major movements, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation with the way the team roster is set up currently.

Quote:

I'm sure you're excited about the 240 hours of saved time next season you won't spend watching hockey games when you're so sure of the outcome
Ok?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:11 AM
Zam Boni

Beatiful!
This makes me happy actually!!

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Those saying this team will still be a lottery team next year should put their money where their drama-queen mouth is.

Wanna bet a good $20? I say they'll make the playoffs. I won't waste my time trying to convince people but suffice it to say that the team was playoffs bound until that moronic coaching change.

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 06-30-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:49 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
Moen: ''Umm dunno, Maybe something around 3 year deal 2.5M per?''

Bergevin: ''Look in my eyes you sexy farmer. You will sign for 4 years @ 1.8M per''

Moen: ''I will sign a 4 year contract @ 1.8M per'' *zombie face

This post almost made me die..

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Awesome signing, Moen is a true warrior who performs well in the playoff. We need more of his time signed on sunday. (ie: Ott, Prust)
Steve Ott has two years left on his existing contract.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:22 AM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Let him mature first. As good (and big) as he is, his skill level is still not up to part with Desharnais or Plekanec. At that rate, what happens when you have Galchenyuk up with the Habs too? Obviously something will need to happen. As of right now, you have Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, White, Nokelainen, Gomez. All centres.

So he is 23yrs old, been in the league two full seasons now playing with third & fourth line pluggers at for the majority of that time & you feel he will mature & his game will elevate playing yet another year in that role???

I question you this, could Eller have had as many points as DD playing between Patches & Cole on a consistent basis for the majority of the season??? If no, then you would be saying the two wingers numbers were a product of having DD as their pivot & not the other way around. If yes, then the question that must be asked is, who would we rather go forward into the further with DD or Eller???

I know my answer to that question.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:18 AM
Team_Spirit
SAINT RADULOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
So he is 23yrs old, been in the league two full seasons now playing with third & fourth line pluggers at for the majority of that time & you feel he will mature & his game will elevate playing yet another year in that role???

I question you this, could Eller have had as many points as DD playing between Patches & Cole on a consistent basis for the majority of the season??? If no, then you would be saying the two wingers numbers were a product of having DD as their pivot & not the other way around. If yes, then the question that must be asked is, who would we rather go forward into the further with DD or Eller???

I know my answer to that question.
If Eller is better than DD, he's gonna outplay him and get his spot just like DD did Gomez, don't worry.

That being said, I remember an interview early this year with Cole and he basiclly said he **** his pants when he 1st played with DD. Cole and Patches had a careers years, and it's clearly because of DD crisp passes. IMO.

Anyway this is about MOEN

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
If Eller is better than DD, he's gonna outplay him and get his spot just like DD did Gomez, don't worry.

That being said, I remember an interview early this year with Cole and he basiclly said he **** his pants when he 1st played with DD. Cole and Patches had a careers years, and it's clearly because of DD crisp passes. IMO.

Anyway this is about MOEN

Agreed!

Successfull teams make players earn their spots and force management to make tough decisions. This ridiculous HF mentality of prospect worshipping and the need for change for the sake of change is mindless and frustrating to read.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:32 AM
HomaridII

Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro
Count me in among those who are skeptical re the 4yr deal at 1.85m per year. Habs better hope he's 3rd liner bcz 2much $ if hes 4th line

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro
Count me in among those who are skeptical re the 4yr deal at 1.85m per year. Habs better hope he's 3rd liner bcz 2much $ if hes 4th line
Moen usually plays a fair bit more than the average 4th liner with Pk work, playing more in case of injuries plus late in games with a lead.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote