HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

P.A. Parenteau to the Sharks

Old
06-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Paperposts31

vCash: 500
P.A. Parenteau to the Sharks

How much would we have to pay P.A. Parenteau to come to the Sharks?

He made 1.25mill last year putting up a 67 point season and is due for a raise. There have been some rumors saying he wont be resigned by the Islanders.
He is a Rightwing and we are in need of wingers. I would have no problem giving him a Ryan Clowe contract of 3 years 10million.
A lot of people say that he had the season he had because of Tavares. Yeah, I think he definitely helped. But I think P.A. Parenteau does have natural skill sets that will help him excel in the NHL.

So what do you guys think?

Paperposts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:37 PM
KirbyDots

Would definitely like him on the Sharks, hopefully DW agrees. Have a feeling though that some GM will overpay for him. I watched a lot of Islanders games last season and don't think it was all Tavares.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:38 PM
express

he'll get overpaid, just like UFAs coming off big seasons always do.

look for something around $5M

express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperposts31 View Post
How much would we have to pay P.A. Parenteau to come to the Sharks?

He made 1.25mill last year putting up a 67 point season and is due for a raise. There have been some rumors saying he wont be resigned by the Islanders.
He is a Rightwing and we are in need of wingers. I would have no problem giving him a Ryan Clowe contract of 3 years 10million.
A lot of people say that he had the season he had because of Tavares. Yeah, I think he definitely helped. But I think P.A. Parenteau does have natural skill sets that will help him excel in the NHL.

So what do you guys think?
He is going to get more than 3.33/year and a longer term as well. I expect at least 4.5-5 per.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
I think he'll be at around 4m minimum, which might be an overpayment.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Paperposts31

Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post
he'll get overpaid, just like UFAs coming off big seasons always do.

look for something around $5M

Man I was hoping no one would take it that far to 5 mill. I could maybe agree with 4mill max, but it still seems a little steep IMO. You dont want another Leino problem.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Man I was hoping no one would take it that far to 5 mill. I could maybe agree with 4mill max, but it still seems a little steep IMO. You dont want another Leino problem.
Plenty of teams have space and who else is out there? Plus Leino's best season was 53 points, while as you said PA just hit 67.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Don't you think that if he was goign to sign for 3.333 he'd re-sign with the Islanders?

Or conversely if they don't want to sign him for that low that there's a reason.

He'll be getting 5 or so for 5 or so years.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
ichabod13

word on long island is that he and garth agreed on money but parenteau wants a 6 year deal.

take it for what its worth gang............

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Paperposts31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
word on long island is that he and garth agreed on money but parenteau wants a 6 year deal.

take it for what its worth gang............

Would you happen to know how much? I just hope he would for some reason want to come here and take less than what other teams offer. I would give him a long contract for less money.

I would love to see a Havlat Couture Parenteau line or something like that.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:00 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Anything over 3.5 is an overpayment for him. I expect he will be getting upwards of 5.5 million, he is not worth it at all though. Decent playmaker, but he isn't a first line winger on a playoff team.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:41 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Haha, what started the ignore list?

I just wish players would sign a short deal and prove themselves a little more, before they go on a limb and ask for like 4x what you made before.

like 2 years 3.3mill per year
after that talk about 5million
he sorta kinda did that.
he left the manhattan organization and signed with garth for one year for 600 grand.
and then he signed on for one more year for one and a quarter million.

if i was garth, id offer him 4 million for 5 years or 4.5 for 4 years.
i wouldnt even think of offering him a 6 year deal.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:56 PM
McTank

Seems like this years leino

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:01 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Seems like this years leino
If somebody signs him for the sake of signing him yeah it probably will come off like Lieno, if somebody needs a winger who can pass the puck and play on the PP then it might be a good signing.

It's hard to say with PAP, as an Islanders fan I will say their was a significant noticeable improvement in his play between 2010/11 and 2011/2012 so that's promising. On the negative side he does have his faults(ie not the greatest defensive player) and while I do think his talent did help him get alot of points their is always the question how much could he get without Tavares(ie is he a 40 point player or 60 point guy)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:02 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
I'll guess 4y/$16-$18m.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

I see 5.0-5.5. In that range, but nothing less, imo.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

This is free agency with a $70M+ salary. For better or for worse PAP will cash in for over 5 super large. Sure glad we had that lockout to keep ridiculous contracts in check. At least these guys aren't making NBA or MLB money. So maybe it's all relative.
5yr/$26M?

Rando Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Paperposts31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
This is free agency with a $70M+ salary. For better or for worse PAP will cash in for over 5 super large. Sure glad we had that lockout to keep ridiculous contracts in check. At least these guys aren't making NBA or MLB money. So maybe it's all relative.
5yr/$26M?

In that case I feel like sooo many players are due raises. IMO if you go to a new team with a new atmosphere, you have to prove yourself. Getting 3.5mill a year is doubling what P.A. made last year.
If your what you say you are, take it and run with it. But it is a sport and these days, certain teams will dish out the cash for players they really want. But isn't winning more important that just money?
Sometimes it frustrates me.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
In that case I feel like sooo many players are due raises. IMO if you go to a new team with a new atmosphere, you have to prove yourself. Getting 3.5mill a year is doubling what P.A. made last year.
If your what you say you are, take it and run with it. But it is a sport and these days, certain teams will dish out the cash for players they really want. But isn't winning more important that just money?
Sometimes it frustrates me.
I agree with you. Once in a while you do get that player that follows the edict of winning over money. But that's rare. In players defense when it comes to these owners/GMs that are willing to offers stupid money to players, owner Pegula and GM Feaster, for example. It's tough I'm sure for these players to refuse the sick cash. Throw in these agents that have the ear of these players, looking to line their pockets so they can re-plate their silver tongues. Madoff probably is sitting in a prison cell wishing he went into sport agency.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
5yr/$26M?
If Grabovski can get 5.5 mil, I'm sure Parenteau could. The Sharks certainly aren't going to pay him that much especially with a lockout looming. However, he would be a pretty good fit on this team. It's just not going to happen.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If Grabovski can get 5.5 mil, I'm sure Parenteau could. The Sharks certainly aren't going to pay him that much especially with a lockout looming. However, he would be a pretty good fit on this team. It's just not going to happen.
I'll defer to you on this, but I wonder just how good of a fit he would be. Seems like PAP is more of a playmaker rather than a goal scorer. Doesn't SJ already have a slew of those types of players? Elite/high end ones like that already in Thornton/Havlat. That's what always left my head scratching with the Heater-Havlat trade, as Heat has more the sniper mentality. Not disagreeing with you just curious.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I'll defer to you on this, but I wonder just how good of a fit he would be. Seems like PAP is more of a playmaker rather than a goal scorer. Doesn't SJ already have a slew of those types of players? Elite/high end ones like that already in Thornton/Havlat. That's what always left my head scratching with the Heater-Havlat trade, as Heat has more the sniper mentality. Not disagreeing with you just curious.
You're right that Parenteau is more of a play-maker but I think he has the requisite skill set to be a quality goal scorer on Thornton's wing as well with a good shot and a good nose for the net. We do have plenty of play-makers with Thornton, Havlat, and Clowe but Clowe's future may be in doubt and I don't think Parenteau would have a problem switching to more of a goal scorer type.

The Heater-Havlat deal was done to increase team speed. Heater was very slow likely due to some hampering injuries. Yeah, he is a goal scorer but he was declining rapidly and I don't think DW wanted to take the chance when he's eating 7.5 mil of his cap space.

Sharks might be in the market for a right-handed goal scorer to play with Thornton. If he's got wheels, it would be ideal. It would push Pavelski back into his natural center spot, maybe even be the catalyst for creating three scoring lines or at the very least give them more quickness in their top six that just had Marleau and Havlat (but injured).

But you're right that he's not the perfect fit due to his more play-making nature.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Paperposts31

Quote:
I can see where you are coming from. It would be nice to get more snipers on the team. We only have Logan, Pavs(who misses like a mofo) and Marleau. But if you add JT Heater and Clowe (those were our top 6 at the time with seto jumping up and down) Seto and Marleau were the only ones with speed. Havlat brought speed and that diversity. He can score but he can also make the play/pass.
I got frustrated seeing Heater get the puck and hoping his toe drag dangle worked. I almost see P.A. as a Havlat in a way. They can contribute in both areas rather than just one. If that makes any sense. (im typing fast)
But someone said P.A. can practice a little more on defense, and I agree with that. But he is young.