HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In The Game: Broad Street Boys Trading Cards

Old
06-29-2012, 08:14 PM
CouterVille

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
Couter, did you get any of these cards?
Haven't bought anything locally, as I live in CC now, but I was in a group break on another site, that just happened. I'll post the results when the host posts them.

Some pretty nice stuff, without anything enormous.

CouterVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:16 PM
CouterVille

Btw, if anyone has any questions about this set or cards in general, feel free to ask. I know entirely too much about this hobby.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:04 PM
pughater

From watching a few 10 case breaks looks like 1 or 2. Orange signature cards. 2-4 prime jersey cards. 1 or 2 rare or ultra rare cards such as trip,etc mem stickwork, papercuts. Correct me if I'm wrong

Btw I was skeptical when I first started this thread if 1. If anyone would be interested in getting these cards 2. If anyone wanted to talk about them..

Thank you everyone for making this fun

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:18 PM
CouterVille

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughater View Post
From watching a few 10 case breaks looks like 1 or 2. Orange signature cards. 2-4 prime jersey cards. 1 or 2 rare or ultra rare cards such as trip,etc mem stickwork, papercuts. Correct me if I'm wrong

Btw I was skeptical when I first started this thread if 1. If anyone would be interested in getting these cards 2. If anyone wanted to talk about them..

Thank you everyone for making this fun
I see you live in MontCo. Do you have a shop(s) that you go to?

Old
06-29-2012, 10:21 PM
pughater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouterVille View Post
I see you live in MontCo. Do you have a shop(s) that you go to?
sportscard playground is the only place that i go to that reputable. be dealing with them forever now. ive been to other places such as knuckleball and a few others they left bad tastes in my mouth. then you have bc sports and stuff but they are overpriced and their people dont know anything about the cards.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
As a local card collector, just want to put in a plug to buy it from Media Cards and Sports in Media (on Baltimore Pike). They'll have the best price in the area, guaranteed, and the owner is the nicest guy in the world. Plus, it's a little old-timey card shop.

BC and Carl's are overpriced and Carl is a miserable *******, for way too many reasons to list (DO NOT BUY FROM Carl's).
Carl wasn't that bad, I've dealt with worse. I couldn't get a price from the place in Media yesterday or today, but Carl had them for 100 and BC said 125 (and they were coming in Saturday).

As for the Monto area I worked at BJ's Sportscards in Hatboro and I think he (Bob) said it would be 110 a box, give or take 10 bucks (even though all these places knew how much they paid for the stuff no one would give a set price). That's usually where I would buy my stuff if I were to buy anything (note: this is the first hockey cards I've purchased in 10 years but I also buy MTG cards so I always try to buy local). I haven't been to Knuckleball in years. He had awesome auctions.

Last edited by turkinaa: 06-29-2012 at 10:58 PM.
turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:55 PM
pughater

sportscard playground said they are selling bsb for 100

Old
06-29-2012, 11:01 PM
CouterVille

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Carl wasn't that bad, I've dealt with worse. I couldn't get a price from the place in Media yesterday or today, but Carl had them for 100 and BC said 125 (and they were coming in Saturday).

As for the Monto area I worked at BJ's Sportscards in Hatboro and I think he (Bob) said it would be 110 a box, give or take 10 bucks (even though all these places knew how much they paid for the stuff no one would give a set price). That's usually where I would buy my stuff if I were to buy anything (note: this is the first hockey cards I've purchased in 10 years but I also buy MTG cards so I always try to buy local). I haven't been to Knuckleball in years. He had awesome auctions.
I've had years of history with Carl (since I was a little kid). He is a bag of ******, and I would NEVER buy from him out of principle.

Media is super-scatterbrained. He is just such a guy (Jim), and almost always has the best prices around, that I would go out of my way (drive an extra 15-20 min) to go to his shop.

True or False: BJ's either packsearched themselves or allowed customers to packsearch? (If you don't want to air publicly, feel free to PM Me)

Old
06-29-2012, 11:16 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
I've had years of history with Carl (since I was a little kid). He is a bag of ******, and I would NEVER buy from him out of principle.

Media is super-scatterbrained. He is just such a guy (Jim), and almost always has the best prices around, that I would go out of my way (drive an extra 15-20 min) to go to his shop.

True or False: BJ's either packsearched themselves or allowed customers to packsearch? (If you don't want to air publicly, feel free to PM Me)
I don't plan on going back to Carl's, I only went because I knew he had the stuff in stock for a price I was okay paying. I've always passed the Media place and wanted to go in, but he didn't open until like noon or something. He seemed very nice.

As for pack-searching, I don't know what would go on when I wasn't working there but I know that I haven't done it and I've never seen him allow a customer to do it while I was there as far as I can remember. Of course I haven't worked there for 6 years and I didn't work full time so anything is possible. I always suspected though that card companies tried to prevent this by adding the thicker stock cards to throw the weight off as compared to just being able to either weight or feel packs by hand (which was quiet possible to do when memorabilia inserts became a big thing, the packs themselves were thicker and less flexible - I once bought a box of baseball cards and I was able to tell which packs had inserts in them.) Side note: I do know that the prices for packs were always higher and it was cheaper to buy the box per pack. Most customers, especially the regulars, would stick to boxes as compared to packs.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:28 PM
CouterVille

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
I don't plan on going back to Carl's, I only went because I knew he had the stuff in stock for a price I was okay paying. I've always passed the Media place and wanted to go in, but he didn't open until like noon or something. He seemed very nice.

As for pack-searching, I don't know what would go on when I wasn't working there but I know that I haven't done it and I've never seen him allow a customer to do it while I was there as far as I can remember. Of course I haven't worked there for 6 years and I didn't work full time so anything is possible. I always suspected though that card companies tried to prevent this by adding the thicker stock cards to throw the weight off as compared to just being able to either weight or feel packs by hand (which was quiet possible to do when memorabilia inserts became a big thing, the packs themselves were thicker and less flexible - I once bought a box of baseball cards and I was able to tell which packs had inserts in them.) Side note: I do know that the prices for packs were always higher and it was cheaper to buy the box per pack. Most customers, especially the regulars, would stick to boxes as compared to packs.
Yeah I had a few bad experiences at BJ's, which is why I asked. I strongly suspected them/someone of having packsearched some open boxes. I also heard from other people who suspected the same.

I'd just say to call Media beforehand, as he is not very reliable (they also moved "upstairs")

Btw, if anyone cares, here is the results (with pictures) of our 7-box group break:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/2900299-post58.html

Old
06-29-2012, 11:36 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Yeah I had a few bad experiences at BJ's, which is why I asked. I strongly suspected them/someone of having packsearched some open boxes. I also heard from other people who suspected the same.

I'd just say to call Media beforehand, as he is not very reliable (they also moved "upstairs")

Btw, if anyone cares, here is the results (with pictures) of our 7-box group break:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/2900299-post58.html
I've always been a fan of opening boxes more than going for single packs - except when it came to MTG then I liked to go for the last pack in the box. My best hockey pulls, however, came from boxes I would buy from conventions as compared to any stores regardless of which store. I'm also terribly sorry that you had a bad experience there especially when I know that stores like that one depend on repeat business and I apologize.

Those are some nice pulls (especially the rafters and orange variant) and I'm a tad surprised so many sign guy sigs.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:38 PM
pughater

that one emblem card is awesome looks like you got all three sign man cards

Old
06-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Beastieboy

found on youtube - some kid doing a box break (last 2 minutes of video). I don't think he knows anything about the Flyers. I believe he calls them "Road Street Bullies." Given the price it is hard to believe someone would buy these without being a Flyers fan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1pemc1ENrI

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:03 AM
pughater

yeah i saw that one. not very man videos

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23649591

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23647686

i found these 2 also. believe this guy is around the philly area. he does a master case

Old
06-30-2012, 12:04 AM
pughater

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-LeClair...item3cc82ad42c

one guy managed to get 3 stick work cards

Old
06-30-2012, 12:43 AM
pughater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLml...4&feature=plcp

Old
06-30-2012, 08:51 AM
turkinaa

I can't watch any of them, I'm afraid it'll make me depressed and jealous.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Flyersguru

Already own 3/4 of the autograph checklist.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:28 AM
pughater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D55yy...1&feature=plcp

Old
06-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Bryzard of Oz

Very cool, but man is that different from what it was like as a kid. Open up the box and there's 1 'pack' in a plastic case.

I really like those nameplate cards with the letter from the name bar. There's a handful on ebay already.

Bryzard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:32 AM
pughater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Already own 3/4 of the autograph checklist.
Damn u got all those cards already?

Old
06-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughater View Post
Damn u got all those cards already?
Trying to build the set.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Flyersguru

Lost out on the Favell, Forsberg, and Jagr auto's this morning.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:56 AM
pughater

Man your going to be spending a lot of money. Dont you have 2 boxes with mezi coming monday

Old
06-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Hextall4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Lost out on the Favell, Forsberg, and Jagr auto's this morning.
Sorry bro, I sniped them at the last few seconds, there is another Jagr ending though.

My 20 case is waiting at home, if I'm lucky I will get back next weekend to bust it. Great hits everyone.

Hextall4GM is offline   Reply With Quote