HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Biggest Fears For July 1st?

Old
06-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
No Ennis for ryan. Roy + staff? for Ryan. Now we're cookin (;
Better yet how about Hecht and Boyes for Ryan? Or maybe Schiestel and a fifth.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:06 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

The Sabres acquire Jay Bouwmeester.

They sign Olli Jokinen to any deal.

Semin to a long term deal (Greater than 3 years)

Shane Doan for more than 3 years

Bobby Ryan becoming a Leaf.

Acquiring Stastny

The phrase "We feel he has enough experience to transition from wing to center" being used anywhere in connection with the Sabres.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Trading for Marleau/Stastny would be a bad idea IMO.
If we trade any of Ennis/Sekera/Foligno/McNabb for anything but a legitimate proven #1 center or a 1st line winger (i.e bobby ryan), I think that would be a step back as well.
I don't see us being very active in free agency honestly. signing a 4th line center like Dom Moore might be a good idea, other than that I'm not sure what we would/could do.
Marleau is clearly a proven 1st line forward and a fantastic player. I don't really want him at his age and contract at what he'd cost, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
-Signing Semin to a 6 year 6.5 per contract.

-
I wouldn't be upset with this but I'd prefer 4 years.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:08 PM
jfb392

- Paul Gaustad re-signed.
- Overpaying for "Plan B". We have some bad contracts. I don't want more.
- Selling the farm for help now. Sorry, I like the group of younger players we have and would like to build from within. When we need to add, we'll add. I want deft moves right now, the selling of the farm can come when they're actually ready to take the next step.
- "The Buffalo Sabres have decided to part ways with anthem singer Doug Allen. The environment he creates with his anthem renditions are not conducive to winning."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
'Buffalo has resigned Marc-Andre Gragnani"
I wouldn't worry about that.
His family openly hates Ruff and Marc also expressed his displeasure in his time here, so there's likely no chance of that.

And why is everyone against Jagr?
On a multi-year deal, yes, I don't like it.
However, a one year deal, even if it's fairly high salary, is a nice stop-gap and he was a great influence on Philadelphia's youth.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
- Paul Gaustad re-signed.
- Overpaying for "Plan B". We have some bad contracts. I don't want more.
- Selling the farm for help now. Sorry, I like the group of younger players we have and would like to build from within. When we need to add, we'll add. I want deft moves right now, the selling of the farm can come when they're actually ready to take the next step.
- "The Buffalo Sabres have decided to part ways with anthem singer Doug Allen. The environment he creates with his anthem renditions are not conducive to winning."

I wouldn't worry about that.
His family openly hates Ruff and Marc also expressed his displeasure in his time here, so there's likely no chance of that.

And why is everyone against Jagr?
On a multi-year deal, yes, I don't like it.
However, a one year deal, even if it's fairly high salary, is a nice stop-gap and he was a great influence on Philadelphia's youth.
Smart group of people.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:12 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Smart group of people.
I don't disagree, but they hate him for the wrong reasons (for apparently holding Gragnani back).
I haven't bothered to see what they've said about him not being qualified, likely ending his chances of ever holding down an NHL job.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:14 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

A bad trade is not something I foresee. An overpayment for a mediocre bottom 6 winger is a more likely bothersome option to happen.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Stop Winnin
Hope

Quote:
I don't disagree, but they hate him for the wrong reasons (for apparently holding Gragnani back).
I haven't bothered to see what they've said about him not being qualified, likely ending his chances of ever holding down an NHL job.
Do you have a link? I want to read this, it's so ****ing stupid. Lindy gave Gragnanny every opportunity to succeed, even after he made some mindblowingly stupid plays over and over, he kept feeding him minutes. It was unbelievable.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:47 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Do you have a link? I want to read this, it's so ****ing stupid. Lindy gave Gragnanny every opportunity to succeed, even after he made some mindblowingly stupid plays over and over, he kept feeding him minutes. It was unbelievable.
I made the mistake of continuing to follow him after he was traded and he'd always retweet his sister (@VanessaGragnani), who liked to complain about how he was mistreated openly, particularly right after he was traded.

She even cited his +/- when trying to argue that he was good, IIRC.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:57 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

And welcome to the buffalo sabres on a 5 year 30 million dollar deal, P.A Parenteau

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:01 AM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
I made the mistake of continuing to follow him after he was traded and he'd always retweet his sister (@VanessaGragnani), who liked to complain about how he was mistreated openly, particularly right after he was traded.

She even cited his +/- when trying to argue that he was good, IIRC.
She was also pushing for him to be in the young stars group on all star weekend

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I have a few fears for the 1st for Buffalo:

- Introducing the newest Sabre... Olli Jokinen!
- "Buffalo is pleased to announce the acquisition of Jay Bouwmeester."
- "Terry thought Jaromir would be a great addition to the team and on a multi-year deal we felt we had to bid for his services."
- Shane Doan on a three year deal.
- Paul, $4M/year, Gaustad.
- Kristen Huselius. At any price.

What are yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
-Signing Semin to a 6 year 6.5 per contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
-Jokinen or Gaustad.
-Radulov (don't think it will happen, but you never know)
-Semin for more than 4 years and more than $6M per.
-Jagr, at all.
- SIGNING DEREK ROY TO A CONTRACT EXTENSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of the above is enough to give me nightmares that would last the entire summer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
"We feel that getting a healthy and focused Ryan Miller is better than any player we could add in FA at this time. Plus, the competition that Grigorenko and Girgensons gives us at the center position automatically makes us a better team. Don't forget that when we were fully healthy, this team was among the best in the NHL. I can forsee us making a minor move, but right now I'm satisfied with our roster as is."

--Darcy Regier on July 8th........after making no moves up to that point.
...just like this kind of flip-flop rhetoric that Regier has often done in the past - and could do again - gave me many sleepless nights before. The scarier thought is envisioning him saying this on August 31, weeks before training camp begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
The Sabres acquire Bobby Ryan in return for Tyler Ennis and Brayden McNabb.
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Your biggest fear is my greatest wish.
I'm with you. If that's considered scary, I'm hoping to be terrified!

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Dr. Zoidberg

With the market value for free agents being significantly higher than anticipated, ownership decided to focus its resources on restructuring the front office. After much persuasion by the Pegula family, we are pleased to announce that Larry Quinn will be returning for his third stint with the Sabres. He will replace Ted Black as the President.

"We simply felt that Ted was too receptive to the needs of the players and fanbase as President," Pegula said. "This breeds complacency, so we determined that a change had to be made. Larry brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Sabres family, and has always been at the vanguard of proper organizational management."

"I am pleased to to return to the Sabres family," says Larry Quinn. "I am ever more determined to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo. My first priority will be to install a light blue ice surface at First Niagara Center. Additionally, we will henceforth be only offering one-year contracts for our players. With the addition of Russians through the draft, we feel that it is necessary to provide continuous motivation to our team."

"I am thrilled to be working under Larry once more," Darcy Regier said at the press conference. "I have always felt more comfortable when operating with severe limitations. With the scouting budget being reduced to $200, I am free to make decisions without the distractions of other individuals."

Last edited by Dr. Zoidberg: 06-30-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

I see them being in on Jokinen and Semin...

I also fear the dreaded, "We're happy with our roster as is."

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Sabretip

The signing of any over 35 players like Arnott, Blake, Samuelsson, Brunette or Langkow is a definite fear - not only because it would be a band-aid move of desperation but likely would mean that Regier isn't willing to deal any of the players it takes to land a marquee talent.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I see them being in on Jokinen and Semin...
The olive branch I cling to in hoping Regier does NOT pursue Jokinen is based on Regier's relationship and mutual respect of Feaster; if Feaster is handing everyone else huge raises yet is walking away from Jokinen, that should send up smoke signals to Regier.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I see them being in on Semin...
If the price is right, I hope so.

My biggest fear for not just July 1 but the entire offseason is that they won't add another legit scoring threat despite needing one.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Taro Tsujimoto

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
We are in good hands.
We're insured by Allstate?

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
With the market value for free agents being significantly higher than anticipated, ownership decided to focus its resources on restructuring the front office. After much persuasion by the Pegula family, we are pleased to announce that Larry Quinn will be returning for his third stint with the Sabres. He will replace Ted Black as the President.

"We simply felt that Ted was too receptive to the needs of the players and fanbase as President," Pegula said. "This breeds complacency, so we determined that a change had to be made. Larry brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Sabres family, and has always been at the vanguard of proper organizational management."

"I am pleased to to return to the Sabres family," says Larry Quinn. "I am ever more determined to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo. My first priority will be to install a light blue ice surface at First Niagara Center. Additionally, we will henceforth be only offering one-year contracts for our players. With the addition of Russians through the draft, we feel that it is necessary to provide continuous motivation to our team."

"I am thrilled to be working under Larry once more," Darcy Regier said at the press conference. "I have always felt more comfortable when operating with severe limitations. With the scouting budget being reduced to $200, I am free to make decisions without the distractions of other individuals."
Scariest post ever.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:10 AM
boots electric

On Gaustad resigning -- I wouldn't hate it if he came with the same price tag or a SLIGHT pay increase (to the same tune of the salary cap increase).

On Jokinen potentially signing -- I'm over my fear of him as a full-blown cancer after watching the teams he's parted ways with continue to struggle past his tenure. I'm now to the point where I genuinely feel like he's a decent player with god-awful luck. Assuming it was a short deal (2 years or less), I actually don't think it would be the worst thing to ever happen.

On Jagr potentially signing -- Why on Earth would anyone be afraid of this? I echo the sentiments of others above in saying that a long-term deal wouldn't be good, but for a single year contract, why the hell not?

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

That I'll roll out of bed. Brew a bunch of coffee, hang out all day, streaming wgr, reading hockey websites, watching NHLN, and we'll do nothing an it will be boring.

Not only boring, but what's worse than doing nothing AND watching the teams in the east we're competing against making improvements.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Wisent42

Mostly I fear parting with players I really like. Mostly the emerging young core. I know there are better players out there than Ennis, McNabb, Sekera, Foligno, Myers, Gerbe etcetera, but these are my guys and I want to cheer for them for many years to come.

Other than that, I fear that Regeir gets carried away by the demands and high hopes, but I don't really think he will. Last year he was like a kid who found himself locked into the candystore over night and ate all he could. I think he remembers how sick it made him.

I see that some fear picking up some veteran. Actually that is something I would like. We've got all these talented kids, so bringing in some experience and leadership wouldn't be bad at all. I would even say that it helps our future since veteran experience would be valueable in developing our youngsters.

Bottom line: I don't think this is a cup year, and I don't see a possible big deal out there that would make it so. I don't want Darcy to throw our future in the water just to make a splash.

Wisent42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Sabresfansince1980

My fear is a big splash for a player past his prime (like Sykora). I'm confident that won't happen though after Leino (who's still in his prime). I'm going to have fun watching where everyone lands, even though I don't expect Buffalo to be involved with much.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:50 AM
jayintro86

my big fear is parise to the bruins

jayintro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Imlach a cup

When the season starts if Tropp is still the best we can do for Vaneks wing I will be dissapointed.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote