HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

How dirty do Pegulas hands get?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
  #1
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
How dirty do Pegulas hands get?

In regards to the roster?

How involved is he in decisions, suggestions, etc?

Does he give specifics as to what he wants changed, does he just say "make a move", or are things brought to him before they are done....?

Obviously nobody knows exactly.. But he had a hand in Ehrhoff, Regher, and the Richards chase last year....

Now he's given us the Hockey Heaven, goal is to win the cup stuff... He's commissioned a daily radio show on the Sabres flagship station, he's gotta deliver SOMETHING right?

I was thinking, specifically about the radio show, and the coverage Sunday. I'm an out of town fan so I listen on the iPhone app when I can... I can assure you most markets don't have a 2 hour daily hockey show, and most markets are live and local on Sunday...

Terry can't let it be boring and do nothing... What will they talk about all day Sunday?! What will Kevin Sylvester talk about all summer?


I'll hang up and listen.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:59 AM
  #2
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,258
vCash: 500
Everything I've read or heard suggests he is very involved. Now does that mean he has final say over trades and UFA targets? I have no idea but he is certainly very involved in the process.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
  #3
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Everything I've read or heard suggests he is very involved. Now does that mean he has final say over trades and UFA targets? I have no idea but he is certainly very involved in the process.
I think so too.... Which prompted the second part. It's his team and his product, do you think he mandates something be done?

I feel like we'll rarely ever be quiet on the big hockey holidays (deadline, draft, July 1st)

I know if I was a superman owner I would want action.... Particularly when the team isn't great yet.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
  #4
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I think so too.... Which prompted the second part. It's his team and his product, do you think he mandates something be done?
Mandates? I'm not sure about that. But he certainly gives Darcy every tool at his disposal to get players. Does that mean Darcy is on the hot seat if he doesn't get players with those tools?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:00 PM
  #5
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
I hope it's something like:

TP: "Darcy, tell me who you want? Money's there. I'll do whatever you need me to do."
DR: "OK, XXX is the player we're targeting. A and B are the issues. Can you convince him to do C and come here?"
TP: "No worries."

I hope it's not:

TP: "Darcy, get player X and Y."
DR: "But they don't fit our plans..."
TP: "Darcy....."


I think it's more scenario one.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
  #6
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Well, I have a friend who is a bathroom attendant, and he told me...

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:22 PM
  #7
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Everything I gather from what Pegula says leads me to believe that he wants to be in the loop of everything that's going on, by which I mean he wants to know every consideration that is being made and why. I don't think he has much input. Maybe he asks about a specific guy or a type of guy and the fellas give him a rundown of their thoughts, but I sincerely doubt he tampers in any way with hockey decisions.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
  #8
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I hope it's something like:

TP: "Darcy, tell me who you want? Money's there. I'll do whatever you need me to do."
DR: "OK, XXX is the player we're targeting. A and B are the issues. Can you convince him to do C and come here?"
TP: "No worries."

I hope it's not:

TP: "Darcy, get player X and Y."
DR: "But they don't fit our plans..."
TP: "Darcy....."


I think it's more scenario one.

Yeah, it's probably the first one.

Even if it's the second one, getting Ehrhoff, Regehr, signing that Myers extension as well as drafting both Gs were really good to great GMing.

Maybe he plays a lot EHM?

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
  #9
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
My only thought on Hockey Hotline is my slowly burning rage that the Grig and Girg interviews from earlier this week have not been posted on wgr550.com

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:08 PM
  #10
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,092
vCash: 500
Pegula is as much a fan (if not more) as any of us here. And most of us here, while we may disagree from time to time, are still pretty knowledgeable about the Sabres/rest of the league. Obviously it's good to let the guys who have been in the business handle most of the hockey decisions, even if Pegula makes a suggestion I'm willing to bet it's something reasonable that many of us would have made ourselves.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:16 PM
  #11
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
How dirty do Pegula's hands get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
In regards to the roster?

How involved is he in decisions, suggestions, etc?

Does he give specifics as to what he wants changed, does he just say "make a move", or are things brought to him before they are done....?

Obviously nobody knows exactly.. But he had a hand in Ehrhoff, Regher, and the Richards chase last year....

Now he's given us the Hockey Heaven, goal is to win the cup stuff... He's commissioned a daily radio show on the Sabres flagship station, he's gotta deliver SOMETHING right?

I was thinking, specifically about the radio show, and the coverage Sunday. I'm an out of town fan so I listen on the iPhone app when I can... I can assure you most markets don't have a 2 hour daily hockey show, and most markets are live and local on Sunday...

Terry can't let it be boring and do nothing... What will they talk about all day Sunday?! What will Kevin Sylvester talk about all summer?


I'll hang up and listen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Well, I have a friend who is a bathroom attendant, and he told me...
I hear Pegula changes Gerbe's diapers...

As to the bolded: Tangible Intangibles.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:22 PM
  #12
Layne Staley
Registered User
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,843
vCash: 500
I hope his daughter watched the playoffs this year and really likes Zach Parise

All I want is Parise here.Give him 70 million, whatever it takes.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
  #13
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
As to the bolded: Tangible Intangibles.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
  #14
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
How dirty do Pegula's hands get?
It's a hook... Gotta get them views.


Quote:
As to the bolded: Tangible Intangibles.
Like a guy who is 5'9" but plays like he's 6'4"...?

Me, I prefer untangibles

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:46 PM
  #15
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 16,510
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Short answer: as much as he wants. He's a fan who bought the team. He's living the dream we all have.

How involved would YOU be?

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
  #16
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Short answer: as much as he wants. He's a fan who bought the team. He's living the dream we all have.

How involved would YOU be?
Ennis-Hodgson-Karate Johnson

involved

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:19 PM
  #17
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
ImpressedDAHagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,672
vCash: 500
he will have a great summer. check out that great wall of china slide. linsanity !

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:45 PM
  #18
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,211
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Like's been said, I believe he's as involved as wanting to be in the loop and knowing what decisions are being made and why. I view it more as a learning experience that a micromanaging overlord because his input is probably limited.

Terry's a smart guy and wants to learn. He wants to be informed. I don't think it hurts to have him engaging his GM so long as he trusts his GM to make the calls

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:31 PM
  #19
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,948
vCash: 500
Awards:
Devine mentioned in one segment on Sylvester's new show that Pegula is involved in the scouting from the standpoint of wanting to see what it takes and wanting to make a difference for the scouting department.

Edit -- link

He specifically states Terry isn't doing the scouting, but is trying to bring what he did successfully in business to the scouting staff (finding out how they do their job, what they think they need to do it better).

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:23 PM
  #20
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,612
vCash: 500
Yea, I think it's cool that as an owner, he's acting like a (dream) supervisor really. Someone who wants to see you do your day to day motions of work. Ask and observe how your job could be more effective or enjoyable. Then, provide those things. I like it.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:11 PM
  #21
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
An example of being a little bit involved in the hockey operations is I think they said that the Sabres draft combine was actually something he brought up to Darcy

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:39 AM
  #22
jayintro86
Registered User
 
jayintro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cheektowaga
Country: United States
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
My only thought on Hockey Hotline is my slowly burning rage that the Grig and Girg interviews from earlier this week have not been posted on wgr550.com
Kevin Sylvester said during the Kaleta Interview (posted on sabres.com) that they are working on something to produce for MSG that involved Grigorenko or Girgensons that he couldn't talk about.

If you wanna watch it, the talk of Grigorenko starts at 14:55. My guess they are saving the video for that project.

jayintro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.