HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Stewart for Paul Martin

Old
06-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Chris Stewart for Paul Martin

There may have to be some additions made to sweeten the deal, or Pittsburgh take some salary back, but there is a basis for a deal there.

Maybe add Kennedy and a pick.

Stewart does not seem to fit Hitchcock's sytem very well. And St. Louis is loaded with wingers and just drafted Tarasenko who he expects to come over from Russia next year. Hitchcock also has specifically listed Pittsburgh's PMD as something he was looking to aquire for his team. Martin fits that system perfectly, as he showed in New Jersey, much better than he does Bylsma's system. Or if you do not like Martin, one of our younger PMD prospects instead. Stewart seems to fit what the Pens do much better than what Hitchcock does.

The trades and needs just seem to fit like the Gogo for Neal to Dallas trade fit.

As I said you can change the parts if you choose, or make an addition or a small salary dump if you want to even it out if needed, but it seems like the basis of a deal that could help both teams is there.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT

vCash: 960
Martin is seen as a cap dump right now IMO... Hes still got 3 more years at 5mill.

I think this trade would benefit Pitts way more than St. Louis. They have to sign some young D men in 2 years or so and having that 5mill cap hit from Martin could hurt them in the future.

Last edited by Peasy: 06-30-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Peasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:53 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Not just Blues fans even division rivals find this absolutely absurd. I guess Pittsburgh could throw in one of their top left handed D-men, whoever the top NHL ready one is and probably a draft pick probably 1st round.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:53 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I wouldn't say Martin is a cap dump if the guy was getting some attention during the draft. And if we added a prospect + Tyler Kennedy, St Louis could benefit greatly.

This would be a situation where they know Stewart isn't a fit on their team and he won't stay past another year. It looks like a very solid trade fit, but obviously there are some underlying issues that make the GMs hands be forced.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
Have fun getting flamed by Blues fans.

Martin is seen as a cap dumb right now... Hes still got 3 more years at 5mill.

Stewart>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Martin

All day, everyday.
You may be right that Stewart has the potential to be better. I have a feeling though that NHL GM's don't have such a tainted view of Paul Martin as HF posters. Just 2 yrs ago he was the most sought after UFA dman, and while he hasnt been great for Pittsburgh he was okay in the 1st year and just decent last year. Stewart was also a **** show last year and doesn't fit well with St Louis.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT

If anything i dont see Stewart getting traded until a few months into the season.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:56 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

By the way and I know they are under new ownership but the Blues aren't exactly a rich team. They don't take on parts they might not believe in. I don't think Martin is an outright cap dump, but taking on the kind of players it would take Kennedy being thrown out which does make this trade acceptable might not be realistic when it comes to the Blues.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:02 AM
HooliganX2

We have been over this 100 times the Blues DO NOT WANT MARTIN TK has no spot on the Blues Roster 0 room for him. The Blues do not want Kennedy.

Last edited by HooliganX2: 06-30-2012 at 01:07 AM.
HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:02 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
You may be right that Stewart has the potential to be better. I have a feeling though that NHL GM's don't have such a tainted view of Paul Martin as HF posters. Just 2 yrs ago he was the most sought after UFA dman, and while he hasnt been great for Pittsburgh he was okay in the 1st year and just decent last year. Stewart was also a **** show last year and doesn't fit well with St Louis.
When your desperate for D, you tend to overpay for UFA's and Paul Martin is prime example,just look at the Leafs they have a few. Pittsburgh is going have to contend with Martin, because no team in their right mind would take him and his contract.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
If anything i dont see Stewart getting traded until a few months into the season.
Like I said, going beyond Martin the Pens are loaded unlike any other team in the league with exactly the kind of PMD defenseman Hitchcock said he was looking for. Shero loads up on them like crazy, and now has Despres, Morrow, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Maatta among others as prospects, three of whom, Despres, Morrow and Dumoulin who could be playing in the NHL right now. Not all are of the PMD variety but quite a number are. On the team, Letang, Martin, Niskanen are all PMD. The Pens are as loaded with PMD as the Blues are with forwards. And Stewart likely will not fit Hitchcock's system.

So it seems the basis for a win/win deal is there somewhere is all.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Like I said, going beyond Martin the Pens are loaded unlike any other team in the league with exactly the kind of PMD defenseman Hitchcock said he was looking for. Shero loads up on them like crazy, and now has Despres, Morrow, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Maatta among others as prospects, three of whom, Despres, Morrow and Dumoulin who could be playing in the NHL right now. Not all are of the PMD variety but quite a number are. On the team, Letang, Martin, Niskanen are all PMD. The Pens are as loaded with PMD as the Blues are with forwards. And Stewart likely will not fit Hitchcock's system.

Why not offer a better PMD with potential than Paul Martin?

What youre saying, is basically me saying, Philly wants a shutdown D man for JVR? Why not give them Komisarek, hes exactly what they need! No GM with a brain would do that.

Paul Martin's contract is ugly, face the truth.

Old
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
I don't think the Blues have need for Martin

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HooliganX2

Quote:

The Blues are not trading Stewart for the players you don't want.....Please do a search before you start threads this has been shut down over and over again.....

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:11 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
after seeing what Michalek returned you think Martin will somehow return more?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Halpysback*

Orpik for Stewart is closer

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:18 AM
underslept
"well-informed"

No. Keep both of those players away from us.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:19 AM
BlueDream

Please stop. Just no, we don't want Martin.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:19 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:

Opinion and not fact. The Pens have a lot of nice D talent, quite frankly if they dump Martin which lets be clear he isn't clearly a cap dump in terms of talent but that is what it would be if the Pens were attempting to do it, the other teams know that. One of those three is going with him.

The Blues aren't a big budget team you have to make it worth their while. Every teams fans has a whole host of players that cannot miss the reality is we all know and certainly the GM know that half of these guys won't pan out. Otherwise the Pens would have the greatest D for the next century and I could just wait for the next waive of can't miss top 6 prospects in Detroit with a smile on my face.

The simple question comes down to who is more desperate, the Blues are not nearly as desperate to unload Stewart as the Pens are Martin and that is where your pretty trade hits a snag. The real question if your a Pens fan is why wouldn't you give up one of these guys if that is what it took? Because you cannot have it both ways.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
When your desperate for D, you tend to overpay for UFA's and Paul Martin is prime example,just look at the Leafs they have a few. Pittsburgh is going have to contend with Martin, because no team in their right mind would take him and his contract.
LOL. And that's why GMs were calling Shero about him at the draft right?

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Riptide

If the Pens don't sign Suter, and are content keeping Martin - with the right partner (someone more physical) and in the right system (something more structured) he'll excel.

Any interest in Niskanen? Anyway I'm certain that GMs hold a much higher value on Martin than HF, so I'm not particularly worried.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:40 AM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Orpik for Stewart is closer
Someone says this is in every single PIT-STL trade thread and no one pays any attention to it. This is the correct answer.

The St. Louis Blues will try to strike gold on July 1st, and if they miss then they're going to try to move Stewart somewhere for a top-4 defenseman. If Pittsburgh wants to bolster their right with another young power forward then Orpik is what goes the other way.

It's a pretty good match, and as far as the Blues go it gives them that big, physical, shot-blocking and crease-clearing defenseman to partner with Pietrangelo. I haven't heard any Penguins fans complain about possibly adding Stewart, so it sounds like a deal.

River City Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:45 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
LOL. And that's why GMs were calling Shero about him at the draft right?
There was a lot of speculation by the media that Pittsburgh had him on the block, but I don't recall anything about any GM inquiring about him. Do you have any proof to this.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:50 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
There was a lot of speculation by the media that Pittsburgh had him on the block, but I don't recall anything about any GM inquiring about him. Do you have any proof to this.
Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has it on “rock-solid authority” that the Penguins are not actively shopping defenseman Paul Martin.

The Penguins have, however, received expressions of interest about the 31-year-old, reports Molinari

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...opping-martin/

Old
06-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble View Post
Someone says this is in every single PIT-STL trade thread and no one pays any attention to it. This is the correct answer.

The St. Louis Blues will try to strike gold on July 1st, and if they miss then they're going to try to move Stewart somewhere for a top-4 defenseman. If Pittsburgh wants to bolster their right with another young power forward then Orpik is what goes the other way.

It's a pretty good match, and as far as the Blues go it gives them that big, physical, shot-blocking and crease-clearing defenseman to partner with Pietrangelo. I haven't heard any Penguins fans complain about possibly adding Stewart, so it sounds like a deal.
No it isn't the right answer at all and it does get attention just not of the positive variety. The Pens are not moving Orpik for Chris "Healthy scratch in the playoffs" Stewart, end of story. The Pens are loaded with skilled puck moving guys at the back, they aren't moving the best physical force they have back there, even if he hasn't been at his best in recent times. He's a huge part of the team, he's a huge part of the locker room, he isn't being traded for a guy who come crunch time his team decided they were better off without.

If anything I'd love the Pens to have another Orpik, not trade the one we have.

Last edited by Morozov: 06-30-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:55 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has it on “rock-solid authority” that the Penguins are not actively shopping defenseman Paul Martin.

The Penguins have, however, received expressions of interest about the 31-year-old, reports Molinari

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...opping-martin/
Like I said rumors from the media.