HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Old
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
51 points in his 2nd season at the ripe old age of 21, isn't consistent? He can certainly stand to improve his skating but what were you expecting in his 2nd season? 70 points?

Stepan isn't a superstar player.

Edit: Only 3 players his age or younger were in the top 30: Tavares, Karlsson and Seguin. We can all agree he isn't in that class. Then from 60 down it was Ryan O'Reilly, Landeskog, RNH and Taylor Hall. In the top 90 that's 7 players that out produced Stepan at his age or younger. The only guy that wasn't a top 10 pick was O'Reilly, who was a 2nd round pick as well. Stepan is just fine in the development process.
51 points at his age is nice, but that doesn't mean he should be completely immune to criticism. I'm not saying he can't develop into a consistent player. I'm saying right now he has a tendency to disappear, not just points-wise, but his game as a whole. For somebody who has such great playmaking instincts, he'll go long stretches without doing anything noticeable in the way of creating chances. A lot of that has to do with the fact that he doesn't move well and really needs to work on his skating. Hence my comments.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Edge

As a playmaker, Stepans numbers would be higher if we had more finishers. As we (hopefully) add finishers, his numbers will increase. He's not going to be a bit time goal scorer, the +/- 20 goals he is scoring now, is most likely what he will be producing for his career. However, in time, they'll be aided but the 40 some odd assists he could add.

I think the only reason we are having this conversation is because Stepan isn't going out and scoring a ton of goals. But that's not his strength, nor should that be the expectation.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
Gee thanks, didn't realize that. However, I just watched a different player than you during the year because during the regular season he looked fine to me.

How about this, his game log is pretty consistent. Here in 10 game stretches the amount of games he had a point or more. This is a ridiculous exersize as it is just point totaling but shows he was fairly consistent.

Games # w/ point +
1-10 3
11-20 5
21-30 6
31-40 4
41-50 4
51-60 4
61-70 5
71-80 3

I don't see an inconsistent pattern there.

Back on topic...........Skjei
Yeah you're welcome. Had I known you'd be so touchy about Stepan's production I would've refrained from posting. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
Yeah you're welcome. Had I known you'd be so touchy about Stepan's production I would've refrained from posting. I'll keep that in mind for next time.
Great maybe next you opine on a topic you have no clue about, try and do the same. At least put a disclaimer on your post.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:44 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Great maybe next you opine on a topic you have no clue about, try and do the same. At least put a disclaimer on your post.
Um, I come to a Skjei threat to read about another player?

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
51 points at his age is nice, but that doesn't mean he should be completely immune to criticism. I'm not saying he can't develop into a consistent player. I'm saying right now he has a tendency to disappear, not just points-wise, but his game as a whole. For somebody who has such great playmaking instincts, he'll go long stretches without doing anything noticeable in the way of creating chances. A lot of that has to do with the fact that he doesn't move well and really needs to work on his skating. Hence my comments.
Yes, I didn't disagree with your opinion about his skating. It definitely is holding back his potential. I suspect during exit interviews " skating" was written ten times in his weakness column. I think I read he is really working on it and his conditioning.

I think the playoffs he mirrored the rest of the team. The style of play left nothing in the tank. I thought he was fine for this stage of development.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Fanned On It

This is off topic, but Stepan's got a good enough shot to be a goal scorer it's just creating the space to score that's the hard part for him. He's better at creating space for OTHERS to score via a perfect pass or something like that. But don't underrate his wrist/snap-shot. Kid can shoot.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:03 AM
BlessThisMess513

How do you pronounce his name? Right now I'm thinking it as "Skay" or "Skee"

BlessThisMess513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
How do you pronounce his name? Right now I'm thinking it as "Skay" or "Skee"
It's pronounced Shea like the stadium.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Don't know if its been posted yet. Found it pretty funny.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Haha Samuelsson is a beauty.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote