HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

J.J. Daigneault hired as assistant coach

Old
06-30-2012, 09:09 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
This board has got to be one of the worst to be a Mod...why this language crap keeps surfacing I have no idea...get over guys, it is a discussion board about hockey...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Habruti!

I am amazed that people whine about lack of experience in our coaching staff, this is retarded! Please have a look at Therrien, Gallant, daignault, lefebvre, jodoin's resume... This is a coachong staff that is as good as any other team in the Nhl. Therrien is not my favorite by far, but to his credit he is now surrounded by solid guys. I like that we have two solid coach in the NHL in lefebvre and Duresne, two defensive guys and the daignault who was a puck mover in the Nhl. If you look at the individuals only... Yes there is not much to chew on... But if you look at the entire team and what each guys bring to the table... It is quite an impressive team.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
This board has got to be one of the worst to be a Mod...why this language crap keeps surfacing I have no idea...get over guys, it is a discussion board about hockey...
I agree, but this crap is usually coming from the same posters, again and again, stirring **** up. They're just detrimental to any intelligent discussion some might have here... imagine if the 29 other teams, being in english places, wanted english first people only, ah man now that would be funny !

But, that french language issue is just a result of the inferiority complex Quebec people have, mostly. (I'm french first, coming from Quebec, and I'm ashamed to see that stupid crap going on and on... )

NOW, for Daigneault, from what I read, is an intelligent guy, passionate about what he does, and he has AHL experience, and worked with D prospects that had good potential, so I'm happy about his QUALIFICATIONS.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
I agree, but this crap is usually coming from the same posters, again and again, stirring **** up. They're just detrimental to any intelligent discussion some might have here... imagine if the 29 other teams, being in english places, wanted english first people only, ah man now that would be funny !

But, that french language issue is just a result of the inferiority complex Quebec people have, mostly. (I'm french first, coming from Quebec, and I'm ashamed to see that stupid crap going on and on... )

NOW, for Daigneault, from what I read, is an intelligent guy, passionate about what he does, and he has AHL experience, and worked with D prospects that had good potential, so I'm happy about his QUALIFICATIONS.
I am sick and tired too to talk about language issues. But I won't let anyone crap and bash my language and my culture.

This team has over 100 years of existence and its name is Le Club de hockey Canadien de Montréal... Not the "Habs". Not the CanadiAns. But it always had for the first 85 years of his existence a super blend of French and English Canadian players + some amazing Americans and some Europeans, my favourite being Mats Naslund.

Having some (not all) Francophones at key positions just make GOOD BUSINESS SENSE. Bergevin and Therrien are the ones who will have to face the medias (and then the fans) the most frequently over a hockey season - and off season too. A majority of people going to attend games at the Bell and paying big bucks to do so have French as their first language. The people watching games on RDS are in majority Francophones or Bilingual.

NOW. I was not overly thrilled when Bergevin and Therrien were hired. But Bergevin is proving everyday that he is a very clever hockey man. The guy has surrounded himself with a solid cast of advisors/assistants - and kept Timmins which prove once again last weekend that he is a top talent seeker. I am amazed by his top three picks, and I was kind of pissed off they drafted Hudon, another Corey Locke for me.
I like the fact that Bergevin - himself a product of many other organisations - has brought some talents that never were in the Canadiens'org before like Dudley, Mellanby, Lapointe and Gallant. Good to have different visions.

I would had prefer a guy like Groulx (from Gatineau) or Hartley over Therrien. But Therrien got experience and he is as good - or as bad - as 90% of the other NHL coaches. In three years, he,s gonna be gone. He's the type of coach needed on this team at this stage to re-boost them.

Since the end of the season and the beginning of the different processes to find a GM, his assistants and a new cvoaching staff for the Clubs in Montreal and Hamilton, it's always the same song: too many "French".... Of course it's too many, when you had none before. It's always suspicious. But just check at the ice level.... I see only ONE and he is almost a raw rookie: DD. Too many, I guess for some. And of course, he had a great year because he is playing with the two best wingers of the team...

But Mr Molson knows what he's doing and why. He knows his clientele, he knows his community, and he knows his family became nulti-millionaire throughout the centuries because the had French Canadians to work for them and buy their products in Montreal and in the province of Quebec.

My favourite players back then were Dryden, Robinson, Gainey, Mahovlich along with the Lafleurs, Lemaires and Cournoyers.

And today, I am still thrilled by our younger cast of Pacioretty, Subban, Price and DD. And I am really looking forward to see Galchenyuk, Collberg, Tinordi along guys like Leblanc and Bournival.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:10 AM
HomaridII

According to Dave Stubbs, who will write an article soon after having talked to Robinson ..

The habs did not interviewed Larry but did talk to him twice, he was available but Therrien chose J.J Daigneault.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:16 AM
HomaridII

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
I told Robinson some believe Therrien wouldn't be comfortable w/ coach of his stature as an assistant: "I'd have made him feel comfortable"

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:19 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I am sick and tired too to talk about language issues. But I won't let anyone crap and bash my language and my culture.

This team has over 100 years of existence and its name is Le Club de hockey Canadien de Montréal... Not the "Habs". Not the CanadiAns. But it always had for the first 85 years of his existence a super blend of French and English Canadian players + some amazing Americans and some Europeans, my favourite being Mats Naslund.

Having some (not all) Francophones at key positions just make GOOD BUSINESS SENSE. Bergevin and Therrien are the ones who will have to face the medias (and then the fans) the most frequently over a hockey season - and off season too. A majority of people going to attend games at the Bell and paying big bucks to do so have French as their first language. The people watching games on RDS are in majority Francophones or Bilingual.

NOW. I was not overly thrilled when Bergevin and Therrien were hired. But Bergevin is proving everyday that he is a very clever hockey man. The guy has surrounded himself with a solid cast of advisors/assistants - and kept Timmins which prove once again last weekend that he is a top talent seeker. I am amazed by his top three picks, and I was kind of pissed off they drafted Hudon, another Corey Locke for me.
I like the fact that Bergevin - himself a product of many other organisations - has brought some talents that never were in the Canadiens'org before like Dudley, Mellanby, Lapointe and Gallant. Good to have different visions.

I would had prefer a guy like Groulx (from Gatineau) or Hartley over Therrien. But Therrien got experience and he is as good - or as bad - as 90% of the other NHL coaches. In three years, he,s gonna be gone. He's the type of coach needed on this team at this stage to re-boost them.

Since the end of the season and the beginning of the different processes to find a GM, his assistants and a new cvoaching staff for the Clubs in Montreal and Hamilton, it's always the same song: too many "French".... Of course it's too many, when you had none before. It's always suspicious. But just check at the ice level.... I see only ONE and he is almost a raw rookie: DD. Too many, I guess for some. And of course, he had a great year because he is playing with the two best wingers of the team...

But Mr Molson knows what he's doing and why. He knows his clientele, he knows his community, and he knows his family became nulti-millionaire throughout the centuries because the had French Canadians to work for them and buy their products in Montreal and in the province of Quebec.

My favourite players back then were Dryden, Robinson, Gainey, Mahovlich along with the Lafleurs, Lemaires and Cournoyers.

And today, I am still thrilled by our younger cast of Pacioretty, Subban, Price and DD. And I am really looking forward to see Galchenyuk, Collberg, Tinordi along guys like Leblanc and Bournival.
Cool. Well said.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:20 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
According to Dave Stubbs, who will write an article soon after having talked to Robinson ..

The habs did not interviewed Larry but did talk to him twice, he was available but Therrien chose J.J Daigneault.
IF it is really the case......................

Maybe they just wanted someone younger and cheaper for the job ????

Old
07-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
I told Robinson some believe Therrien wouldn't be comfortable w/ coach of his stature as an assistant: "I'd have made him feel comfortable"
I don't know why but this made me laugh.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

If that's true I think they blundered.

Life span of an NHL assistant coach is usually 3 years or so. Age really isn't a factor if he is still up for the job.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Seriously? I'm disappointed......

Dave Stubbs
Robinson spoke w/ #Habs twice. He was available but not interviewed. Therrien chose Daigneault. Hunch: Larry's w/ an NHL team soon

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
This makes me feel sad. I like the J.J. hire, but Larry is such a better choice.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:46 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Wow, if Therrien really did pass up Robinson without even interviewing him, he's a bigger idiot than I thought.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Wow, if Therrien really did pass up Robinson without even interviewing him, he's a bigger idiot than I thought.
Probably doesn't want to be overshadowed.

Robinson would have been a fantastic hire.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

07-01-2012, 12:32 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Probably doesn't want to be overshadowed.

Robinson would have been a fantastic hire.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
"IF" is the word. I still doubt the source unless Robinson says it himself in front of a camera.

Why would Therrien refused such help ? Robinson doesn't want to be head coach, anymore , anyway. Bergevin is the boss. IF he wanted Robinson aboard, he will have imposed him to Therrien.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Didn't voice my opinion already...had a vacation to attend to with the family...sorry guys....priorities....., but as I wanted, I liked the signing.

1- I do like the incoming of ex-habs that know what it takes to play here. You have to like the sense of reality that having ex-habs brings to this team.

2- Those are ex-habs....but TALENTED ones. Proven ex-habs, not à la Houle or Tremblay at the time. Daigneault has paid his dues, ex-player and 6 years in the AHL...what's the next step if you don't really want to be a coach? Assistant coach in the NHL...here we go. Whther he's the reason or part of the reason for some of the Rangesr to have blossom the way they did, we never know. We think we know based on the fact that some like McDo were there but not a whole lot, and some were there on a longer period of time, yet he is part of the organizaiotn and as far as we know, you could have an impact on somebody short or long term.

3- Not that old, fresh ideas, that knew the old NHL and now perfectly well the new hockey and what is being asked to d-men.

Now, would I have wish to see Robinson? Surely. But I love how people are jumping to conclusions, so Robinson spoke to the Habs TWICE....but never was interviewed....okay so what does that mean? First time, was to solely say that he was available...and the 2nd time was to confirm it? Geez, they interviewed everybody in this world for every freakin job available and people don't think there's a good reason for a guy like Robinson to NOT be interviewed...and especially when you hear that they spoke to him TWICE? Again, how are those not considered interviews and if they weren,t....any chance something important was said in those talks that made them realized that he wasn't the man? And what if the first time it was us calling him to ask for his interest...and then the 2nd time was Robinson calling to inform them that he finally wasn't interested? I mean, we can hate a decision or prented that this or that scenario happened with the infos we have...but don't understand are down on Therrien and Habs for not interviewing Robinson, yet don't really think about the 2 "talks" they had together....Not 1....2. 1, you could solely sad it's a talk to know how both parties are seeing it. But Twice? It had to go further.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:47 PM
shutehinside

JJ is not in the same ballpark as Robinson. Robinson is a better coach than Therrien is so when he says he'd have made Therrien comfortable and still wasn't offered the job you know the best man wasn't taken.

This wasnt a franco/ Quebecer choice it was an insecure choice be Therrien. Take a guy who won't be a challenge to me.

Very disappointed.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
JJ is not in the same ballpark as Robinson. Robinson is a better coach than Therrien is so when he says he'd have made Therrien comfortable and still wasn't offered the job you know the best man wasn't taken.

This wasnt a franco/ Quebecer choice it was an insecure choice be Therrien. Take a guy who won't be a challenge to me.

Very disappointed.
Not sure what you're talking about here. Isn't it clear that Robinson has NO INTEREST in a head coaching job? Geez, there was talks about him retiring, and now he's a thread to be a head coach in Montreal? Makes no sense.

One thing people should consider. While we might not like it...if you don't feel you won't "click" with a guy, you choose another guy you will click with. We don't like a hire based on what we know and what we'd like from the outside....but just now take into consideration how people work with each other....And it's unfortunately a mistakes from us. Point again, is that there were 2 talks. Yet no interviews. Strange to be able to solely point the problem towards Therrien. And again, should I repeat....I am NOT a Therrien fan by any means.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Protest the Hero

Robinson was interested in returning

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...s-of-habs-post

Dave Stubbs conducted an interview with Larry Robinson, where he explains he was interested in returning to Montreal, either as an assistant coach, or possibly in some public relations position. Apparently the final decision was made by Therrien, to go with Daigneault.

Have to admit I'm pretty angry at Therrien. Robinson was dealing with Hurricane Debby at his home in Florida so he wasn't available for an in person interview, but you'd have to think his resume would speak for itself.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Et le But

I can't believe this team is basically being run by Michel ******* Therrien right now.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

You have to be kiddin' me...

Edit: Disappointed, but at the same time happy with Daigneault.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
hockeyfan2k11

This hurts. But as soon as Therrien was named coach, I knew Robinson wouldn't be back...which is one of the reasons why I wasn't happy with the Therrien hire in the first place.

We'll see how JJ turns out. He was a solid dman, lets hope it translates well into his coaching.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...s-of-habs-post

Dave Stubbs conducted an interview with Larry Robinson, where he explains he was interested in returning to Montreal, either as an assistant coach, or possibly in some public relations position. Apparently the final decision was made by Therrien, to go with Daigneault.

Have to admit I'm pretty angry at Therrien. Robinson was dealing with Hurricane Debby at his home in Florida so he wasn't available for an in person interview, but you'd have to think his resume would speak for itself.
Well, Therrien is the coach and if Bergevin hired him, it's because he has confidence in him, so if Therrien doesn't feel it with Robinson, than it's his choice and we got to respect that....

Yeah Robinson might have been a good choice, doesn't mean that Daigneault won't be, so let's wait and see...

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I can't believe this team is basically being run by Michel ******* Therrien right now.
Yeah crazy letting the head coach hire the assistant coaches. Don't they know decisions in Montreal are made by the fans?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
It's the coach's job to select his assistants. Don't really understand the problem here.