HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils Financial Situation

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2012, 09:11 AM
  #26
guitarguyvic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
I have no idea who Bill Watters is. I just found it amazing how he said that with such certainty. Save my post for future reference, whichever way things turn out it will be interesting to look back on.

guitarguyvic is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:15 AM
  #27
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
Bill Watters was on Nhl home ice yesterday and said "Parise is going to the Kings. The Devils do not have the money to sign him or Brodeur. They just don't have it, no way no how."
I'm always confused when I see people saying this with such certainty. How does he have intimate knowledge of the Devils' finances? And how does he know what Lou's offers are?

I'm sure he doesn't realise that we are currently under the cap floor. If we can't pay Brodeur and Parise, we have bigger problems than just personnel.

Saugus is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 AM
  #28
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,926
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
I have no idea who Bill Watters is. I just found it amazing how he said that with such certainty. Save my post for future reference, whichever way things turn out it will be interesting to look back on.

Scottyk9 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:20 AM
  #29
guitarguyvic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Glad I could provide some comic relief.

guitarguyvic is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:25 AM
  #30
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta
 
Traitor Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 2,341
vCash: 500
Watters is a former Asst. General Manager for the Maple Leafs and is now a sports media guy.

Traitor Zach is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:28 AM
  #31
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,347
vCash: 500
They have to spend 9 million. Again HAVE to spend by NHL rules 9 million. That is just to reach the floor. And they have nearly a full roster signed already.

There is a budget, I think right now it is figuring out now it allocates and thus their is a priority order. It goes Zach, Marty, Poni, backup goalie (note I left Sal off because there is no roster room).

jkrdevil is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
  #32
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,926
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
They have to spend 9 million. Again HAVE to spend by NHL rules 9 million. That is just to reach the floor. And they have nearly a full roster signed already.

There is a budget, I think right now it is figuring out now it allocates and thus their is a priority order. It goes Zach, Marty, Poni, backup goalie (note I left Sal off because there is no roster room).
Don't you know we're gonna trade for the semi retired thomas and pronger to sit on the ltir

#islandersstyle

Scottyk9 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
  #33
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm sure he doesn't realise that we are currently under the cap floor. If we can't pay Brodeur and Parise, we have bigger problems than just personnel.
And if that's the case we would have already heard about an NHL takeover. Even Lou can't keep THAT a secret.

They have to spend at least $7 million or so (above minimum salary) on four roster spots just to get to the floor, you're correct. Capgeek currently has us at $45 million with twelve forwards - including Janssen and Boulton - and five defensemen not including Fayne's QO and Harrold who signed at about league minimum. So basically they have to fill out two forward and two goalie spots plus give Fayne a new deal or the QO with what's left.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:36 AM
  #34
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
They have to spend 9 million. Again HAVE to spend by NHL rules 9 million. That is just to reach the floor. And they have nearly a full roster signed already.

There is a budget, I think right now it is figuring out now it allocates and thus their is a priority order. It goes Zach, Marty, Poni, backup goalie (note I left Sal off because there is no roster room).
It's the hockey media. They're stupid.

Someone with a name is coming to the Devils. It could be Parise, it could be a "what the **** just happened" signing or trade. But someone is coming in, because they can't spend the amount they have on random junk, they're already too close to a full roster and just gave 3 forwards one ways, when you could make an argument only Carter should have gotten one.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:37 AM
  #35
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
And if that's the case we would have already heard about an NHL takeover. Even Lou can't keep THAT a secret.

They have to spend at least $6 million or so (above minimum salary) on four roster spots just to get to the floor, you're correct.
It's closer to $9M or $10M, of course though some of that will be allocated to Fayne who should be taking a roster spot if you don't have him with one.

But also Fayne got banged up and has surgery at an unfortunate time, he will not play for as much next year as he would have otherwise.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:38 AM
  #36
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,926
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
It's the hockey media. They're stupid.

Someone with a name is coming to the Devils. It could be Parise, it could be a "what the **** just happened" signing or trade. But someone is coming in, because they can't spend the amount they have on random junk, they're already too close to a full roster and just gave 3 forwards one ways, when you could make an argument only Carter should have gotten one.
Semin and Kostitsyn on two year deals we then trade with Tampa for Garon after Marty signs there

Scottyk9 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
  #37
Lateralous
New Jersey Devils
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Abington, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
If the Devils are forced to lose Zach and Marty because of finances then I hope JVB loses his shirt completely and is a panhandler in five years.
+1. Can you imagine how bad things could be if the Devils didn't get a 20+ million cash infusion from the playoff run?

Lateralous is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
  #38
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
And if that's the case we would have already heard about an NHL takeover. Even Lou can't keep THAT a secret.

They have to spend at least $6 million or so (above minimum salary) on four roster spots just to get to the floor, you're correct.
As far as the NHL takeover goes, unless something like Phoenix happens where they have to buy the team in bankruptcy you won't likely know. The NHL was running Dallas for close to a year when Hicks blew up until it became public.

Remember for the most part stuff like that doesn't leak unless it is intentional.

jkrdevil is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:40 AM
  #39
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,926
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I mean the only silver lining in this is. If the Devils really are that bad off and the NHL has to step in...the Coyotes proved with competent management those teams are not left to rot and they can compete.

Scottyk9 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:41 AM
  #40
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
It's closer to $9M or $10M, of course though some of that will be allocated to Fayne who should be taking a roster spot if you don't have him with one.

But also Fayne got banged up and has surgery at an unfortunate time, he will not play for as much next year as he would have otherwise.
Well yeah but I was already slotting in minimum salary for the four spots, so that's $2+ million. That was why I said $6-7 million above minimum salary. God help us if the only way they can do that is throw a lot of money at Fayne and Marty (or Moose), and call it a day with minimum salaried players elsewhere, though like I said if they were in such trouble they could barely make the floor the NHL would have already put its heel down.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:47 AM
  #41
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,319
vCash: 500
If we have to spend $9-10M (including the recent minimum $ signings) according to NHL rules there is no way we will be a cap-floor team.

So may as well make that about $15-16M.

Also, Carter may have been the only 4th liner that truly deserves a 1-way contract but I think the 1-way for 12-13 for Gionta is a 'thank you' for his awesome performance this past spring. It reverts to a 2-way for 13-14, so I think that says it all.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
  #42
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
If we have to spend $9-10M (including the recent minimum $ signings) according to NHL rules there is no way we will be a cap-floor team.

So may as well make that about $15-16M.
Why do the Devils have to spend above the cap floor? Other than the fact they won't be a very good team if they have to be cap floor (cause that means bye-bye Zach and at least one of the goalies).

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
  #43
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Well yeah but I was already slotting in minimum salary for the four spots, so that's $2+ million. That was why I said $6-7 million above minimum salary. God help us if the only way they can do that is throw a lot of money at Fayne and Marty (or Moose), and call it a day with minimum salaried players elsewhere, though like I said if they were in such trouble they could barely make the floor the NHL would have already put its heel down.
The floor for the Devils is closer to $59M. Keep that in mind. Kovy's overage.

Here's a roster.

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m)
David Clarkson ($2.667m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Mattias Tedenby ($0.875m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Steve Bernier ($0.750m)
Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Ryan Carter ($0.775m) /
Eric Boulton ($0.663m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)
Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fayne ($1.000m)
Peter Harrold ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Scott Wedgewood ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $47,666,666; BONUSES: $547,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $22,533,334


They have around $7M to spend on either a forward or a goalie. Or a little of each.
That's just to scrape the floor, no one scrapes the floor, it's probably closer to $9-10M.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
  #44
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,926
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Why do the Devils have to spend above the cap floor?
He's talking about actual dollars. Not just money that goes against the cap.

Click the salaries tab above the roster, lot of players on tail end of deals that are the most expensive part

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20

Scottyk9 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:52 AM
  #45
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
He's talking about actual dollars. Not just money that goes against the cap.
That's already there though...the cap number is $45 million but what they're spending is closer to $49 because of the Kovy salary bump. Either way they have to spend $9 million more to get to the floor but they don't have to spend any more than that.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
  #46
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Why do the Devils have to spend above the cap floor? Other than the fact they won't be a very good team if they have to be cap floor (cause that means bye-bye Zach and at least one of the goalies).
Because I'd be very surprised if Lou brought in minimum-paid players to fill the rest of his roster to fit the cap floor only.

Also, if that is the case, byebye Parise.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
  #47
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Because I'd be very surprised if Lou brought in minimum-paid players to fill the rest of his roster to fit the cap floor only.

Also, if that is the case, byebye Parise.
Let's trade for Gomez!

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 10:01 AM
  #48
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Because I'd be very surprised if Lou brought in minimum-paid players to fill the rest of his roster to fit the cap floor only.

Also, if that is the case, byebye Parise.
They can't, the roster I posted only has two open roster spots. They could go to 23, but they're not going to 23 with anyone who costs anything.

They are going to have to sign/trade for someone big. Big as in expensive.

Of course they could pull the turd move and trade for Gomez and buy back around $2M of Kovy's overage, but again, that's just a brutal move.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
  #49
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
They can't, the roster I posted only has two open roster spots. They could go to 23, but they're not going to 23 with anyone who costs anything.

They are going to have to sign/trade for someone big. Big as in expensive.

Of course they could pull the turd move and trade for Gomez and buy back around $2M of Kovy's overage, but again, that's just a brutal move.
I know they can't fill the roster with $500K players, I just meant "minimum-paid" in the sense they are paid exactly what is necessary to hit the cap floor.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 10:04 AM
  #50
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
I know they can't fill the roster with $500K players, I just meant "minimum-paid" in the sense they are paid exactly what is necessary to hit the cap floor.
I mean, still for 2 guys you're getting decent players. Looking at what Schnieder got paid. Even in the nutball scenario in which they bring in Luongo, they'd have money left over, considering some money would go back.

guyincognito is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.