HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils Financial Situation

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 09:11 AM
guitarguyvic

vCash: 500
I have no idea who Bill Watters is. I just found it amazing how he said that with such certainty. Save my post for future reference, whichever way things turn out it will be interesting to look back on.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
Bill Watters was on Nhl home ice yesterday and said "Parise is going to the Kings. The Devils do not have the money to sign him or Brodeur. They just don't have it, no way no how."
I'm always confused when I see people saying this with such certainty. How does he have intimate knowledge of the Devils' finances? And how does he know what Lou's offers are?

I'm sure he doesn't realise that we are currently under the cap floor. If we can't pay Brodeur and Parise, we have bigger problems than just personnel.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
I have no idea who Bill Watters is. I just found it amazing how he said that with such certainty. Save my post for future reference, whichever way things turn out it will be interesting to look back on.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:20 AM
guitarguyvic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Glad I could provide some comic relief.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Watters is a former Asst. General Manager for the Maple Leafs and is now a sports media guy.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:28 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

They have to spend 9 million. Again HAVE to spend by NHL rules 9 million. That is just to reach the floor. And they have nearly a full roster signed already.

There is a budget, I think right now it is figuring out now it allocates and thus their is a priority order. It goes Zach, Marty, Poni, backup goalie (note I left Sal off because there is no roster room).

Old
06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
They have to spend 9 million. Again HAVE to spend by NHL rules 9 million. That is just to reach the floor. And they have nearly a full roster signed already.

There is a budget, I think right now it is figuring out now it allocates and thus their is a priority order. It goes Zach, Marty, Poni, backup goalie (note I left Sal off because there is no roster room).
Don't you know we're gonna trade for the semi retired thomas and pronger to sit on the ltir

#islandersstyle

Old
06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm sure he doesn't realise that we are currently under the cap floor. If we can't pay Brodeur and Parise, we have bigger problems than just personnel.
And if that's the case we would have already heard about an NHL takeover. Even Lou can't keep THAT a secret.

They have to spend at least $7 million or so (above minimum salary) on four roster spots just to get to the floor, you're correct. Capgeek currently has us at $45 million with twelve forwards - including Janssen and Boulton - and five defensemen not including Fayne's QO and Harrold who signed at about league minimum. So basically they have to fill out two forward and two goalie spots plus give Fayne a new deal or the QO with what's left.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:36 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post

It's the hockey media. They're stupid.

Someone with a name is coming to the Devils. It could be Parise, it could be a "what the **** just happened" signing or trade. But someone is coming in, because they can't spend the amount they have on random junk, they're already too close to a full roster and just gave 3 forwards one ways, when you could make an argument only Carter should have gotten one.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:37 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
And if that's the case we would have already heard about an NHL takeover. Even Lou can't keep THAT a secret.

They have to spend at least $6 million or so (above minimum salary) on four roster spots just to get to the floor, you're correct.
It's closer to $9M or $10M, of course though some of that will be allocated to Fayne who should be taking a roster spot if you don't have him with one.

But also Fayne got banged up and has surgery at an unfortunate time, he will not play for as much next year as he would have otherwise.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
It's the hockey media. They're stupid.

Someone with a name is coming to the Devils. It could be Parise, it could be a "what the **** just happened" signing or trade. But someone is coming in, because they can't spend the amount they have on random junk, they're already too close to a full roster and just gave 3 forwards one ways, when you could make an argument only Carter should have gotten one.
Semin and Kostitsyn on two year deals we then trade with Tampa for Garon after Marty signs there

Old
06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Lateralous
New Jersey Devils

Quote:
If the Devils are forced to lose Zach and Marty because of finances then I hope JVB loses his shirt completely and is a panhandler in five years.
+1. Can you imagine how bad things could be if the Devils didn't get a 20+ million cash infusion from the playoff run?

Old
06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:

They have to spend at least $6 million or so (above minimum salary) on four roster spots just to get to the floor, you're correct.
As far as the NHL takeover goes, unless something like Phoenix happens where they have to buy the team in bankruptcy you won't likely know. The NHL was running Dallas for close to a year when Hicks blew up until it became public.

Remember for the most part stuff like that doesn't leak unless it is intentional.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

I mean the only silver lining in this is. If the Devils really are that bad off and the NHL has to step in...the Coyotes proved with competent management those teams are not left to rot and they can compete.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:41 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
It's closer to $9M or $10M, of course though some of that will be allocated to Fayne who should be taking a roster spot if you don't have him with one.

But also Fayne got banged up and has surgery at an unfortunate time, he will not play for as much next year as he would have otherwise.
Well yeah but I was already slotting in minimum salary for the four spots, so that's $2+ million. That was why I said $6-7 million above minimum salary. God help us if the only way they can do that is throw a lot of money at Fayne and Marty (or Moose), and call it a day with minimum salaried players elsewhere, though like I said if they were in such trouble they could barely make the floor the NHL would have already put its heel down.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:47 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

If we have to spend $9-10M (including the recent minimum $ signings) according to NHL rules there is no way we will be a cap-floor team.

So may as well make that about $15-16M.

Also, Carter may have been the only 4th liner that truly deserves a 1-way contract but I think the 1-way for 12-13 for Gionta is a 'thank you' for his awesome performance this past spring. It reverts to a 2-way for 13-14, so I think that says it all.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
If we have to spend $9-10M (including the recent minimum $ signings) according to NHL rules there is no way we will be a cap-floor team.

So may as well make that about $15-16M.
Why do the Devils have to spend above the cap floor? Other than the fact they won't be a very good team if they have to be cap floor (cause that means bye-bye Zach and at least one of the goalies).

Old
guyincognito

Quote:
Well yeah but I was already slotting in minimum salary for the four spots, so that's $2+ million. That was why I said $6-7 million above minimum salary. God help us if the only way they can do that is throw a lot of money at Fayne and Marty (or Moose), and call it a day with minimum salaried players elsewhere, though like I said if they were in such trouble they could barely make the floor the NHL would have already put its heel down.
The floor for the Devils is closer to $59M. Keep that in mind. Kovy's overage.

Here's a roster.

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m)
David Clarkson ($2.667m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Mattias Tedenby ($0.875m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Steve Bernier ($0.750m)
Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Ryan Carter ($0.775m) /
Eric Boulton ($0.663m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)
Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fayne ($1.000m)
Peter Harrold ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Scott Wedgewood ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $47,666,666; BONUSES: $547,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $22,533,334

They have around $7M to spend on either a forward or a goalie. Or a little of each.
That's just to scrape the floor, no one scrapes the floor, it's probably closer to $9-10M.

Old
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Quote:
Why do the Devils have to spend above the cap floor?
He's talking about actual dollars. Not just money that goes against the cap.

Click the salaries tab above the roster, lot of players on tail end of deals that are the most expensive part

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20

Old
06-30-2012, 09:52 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
He's talking about actual dollars. Not just money that goes against the cap.
That's already there though...the cap number is $45 million but what they're spending is closer to $49 because of the Kovy salary bump. Either way they have to spend $9 million more to get to the floor but they don't have to spend any more than that.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Why do the Devils have to spend above the cap floor? Other than the fact they won't be a very good team if they have to be cap floor (cause that means bye-bye Zach and at least one of the goalies).
Because I'd be very surprised if Lou brought in minimum-paid players to fill the rest of his roster to fit the cap floor only.

Also, if that is the case, byebye Parise.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Because I'd be very surprised if Lou brought in minimum-paid players to fill the rest of his roster to fit the cap floor only.

Let's trade for Gomez!

Old
06-30-2012, 10:01 AM
guyincognito

Quote:

They can't, the roster I posted only has two open roster spots. They could go to 23, but they're not going to 23 with anyone who costs anything.

They are going to have to sign/trade for someone big. Big as in expensive.

Of course they could pull the turd move and trade for Gomez and buy back around $2M of Kovy's overage, but again, that's just a brutal move.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
They can't, the roster I posted only has two open roster spots. They could go to 23, but they're not going to 23 with anyone who costs anything.

They are going to have to sign/trade for someone big. Big as in expensive.

Of course they could pull the turd move and trade for Gomez and buy back around $2M of Kovy's overage, but again, that's just a brutal move.
I know they can't fill the roster with $500K players, I just meant "minimum-paid" in the sense they are paid exactly what is necessary to hit the cap floor.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:04 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
I know they can't fill the roster with $500K players, I just meant "minimum-paid" in the sense they are paid exactly what is necessary to hit the cap floor.
I mean, still for 2 guys you're getting decent players. Looking at what Schnieder got paid. Even in the nutball scenario in which they bring in Luongo, they'd have money left over, considering some money would go back.

Closed Thread