HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

UFA ENFORCER NEEDED: Why Do So Many Young Oilers Players Get Injured

Old
06-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Max Quackenbush

vCash: 500
UFA ENFORCER NEEDED: Why Do So Many Young Oilers Players Get Injured

The list of serious injuries in the young Oilers core is staggering. Is there a clear reason for this? Are they too small or rushed into the lineup when they are not ready? Do the Oilers lack a real enforcer to curb the contact against the young core? Maybe someone they can pick up as a UFA? I watch Hall and he makes me cringe. I keep hoping he is the next Messier but carrying the puck with his head down will make him the next Brett Lindros. Watching both Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner, they just seem to struggle as understrength high skill players going up against giants in the league: it is only their smarts that keep them from getting even more seriously injured. If Nail comes as advertised, like Bure, he will put his body at risk to make his darting plays in a league that has less space on the ice and more mobile D Men than in the dead puck era. Anyway, it will be interesting to see going forward, if this pattern of serious injures to top prospects and draft choices continues or if the Oilers pick up George Parros or someone to help them. The Oilers of old went this route.

Max Quackenbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Jody Shelley for future considerations.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:39 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Maybe it's the medical staff and lack of conditioning that's taught to the players?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but Dustin Penner commented just how much harder training was when he was traded to LA.

Enforcers are a dying breed, in my opinion. Seems like more teams are trying to roll 4 lines. Can't do that with some dude who plays < 5 mins/night

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:40 AM
medhatcanuck

Don't u guys already have eager? Jordin TooToo. Edmonton is closest to his home climate and you can have caribou jerkey.

Your team can only have so many Doug The Thug Glats.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:41 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Maybe it's the medical staff and lack of conditioning that's taught to the players?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but Dustin Penner commented just how much harder training was when he was traded to LA.

Enforcers are a dying breed, in my opinion. Seems like more teams are trying to roll 4 lines. Can't do that with some dude who plays < 5 mins/night
Got a source for that? Because I find that a little hard to believe. The Oilers were constantly and very publicly on Penner from almost day one to get his act together and get in shape.

And the Oilers weren't Penner's first organization, either. Did he go to Edmonton and forget all his conditioning from Anaheim?

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:41 AM
The Overseer*

Last year they brought in Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk, and Andy Sutton for this exact purpose.

Didn't do much good.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Wheatking

So many injuries to young players? Outside of Hall, who was injured because of a hit? RNH tripped on the blue line and Eberle got tangled up with Benn. Gagner slipped in preseason and fell feet first into the boards and sprained his ankle.

I agree that the Oilers need an enforcer but they also need a coach that will allow an enforcer to do his job. Ralph Krueger may be that guy but I don't know yet.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Yayamo

If you believe Souray, the training staff leaves a lot to be desired.

Yayamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
Last year they brought in Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk, and Andy Sutton for this exact purpose.

Didn't do much good.
Sutton and Hordichuk did just fine. It seems like Eager signed with the Oilers because he was dumb enough to think that they were so bad that he could get top 6 minutes. He didn't want to be a tough guy last season.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:56 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Got a source for that? Because I find that a little hard to believe. The Oilers were constantly and very publicly on Penner from almost day one to get his act together and get in shape.

And the Oilers weren't Penner's first organization, either. Did he go to Edmonton and forget all his conditioning from Anaheim?
I'll see what I can find. Posting from my phone so browsing sucks.

Either way, injuries won't be curtailed by an enforcer. There are other organizational issues that usually cause it. The Kings had it many years ago when Andy Murray seemed to overwork his players till they were injured.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:00 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayamo View Post
If you believe Souray, the training staff leaves a lot to be desired.
The Oilers did a total house cleaning a couple of years ago, so your comment doesn't hold any bases. They even dumped Kevin Lowe's brother, and be like most Oiler fans and take anything Souray said with a grain of salt.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:05 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Big John Scott is available...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
hlaverty06

Asham, Big mac, Barch, Hordichuk, Parros, Prust, Winchester, Staubitz, Bitz, Gillies, Scott

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post

Okay, I guess I misunderstood the quote differently. He does say he has worked harder in Los Angeles, but not necessarily about how much the Oilers focus on it. Here are a couple quotes on him working harder last summer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalty
“We started doing [lunges over] 1,000 [yards] in the third week of May,” Penner noted. “I said, ‘are you kidding me?’”
“[Adams] said, ‘wait until July,’” Penner added. “Now we’re doing 2,000 [yards]. I can’t wait for 1,000 [again].”
“After that, and after we regain consciousness (another joke), you have six to eight exercises [back in the weight room]. That’s another hour or hour and a half.”
Penner indicated that he was surprised by the intensity of the workouts.
“These workouts are something different from what I’ve had in Canada before,” said Penner. “It’s really exciting, especially with a guy like Tim Adams. [Prior to coming to the Kings], most of my workouts in the summer have been around two hours, maybe a little over, with an ice time session. Now, it’s pretty much an 8:00 – 2:00 job.”
“It’s different for a lot of guys who’ve come from other teams,” added Penner. “We all share that we weren’t used to this type of intensity.”
When told of Penner’s surprise, Murray was not disappointed or angry. Nevertheless, he was a bit discouraged that some players (not just Penner) across the NHL might not already have the same expectations in terms of what hard work is all about.
http://frozenroyalty.net/2011/07/12/...oning-finally/

Old
06-30-2012, 11:13 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post

I remember that, and it looked like he started TC with a spared tire and harder training really help his play during the season. LA was lucky he found his heart and played like he did in Edmonton.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:13 AM
hfboardsuser

----

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 07-15-2012 at 01:09 AM.
hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:14 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Taylor Hall plays like the Tazmanian Devil on speed, so he's going to hurt himself. If you actually look at his injuries, though, it's a lot of freak accidents. Going down weird in a fight, getting stomped on by a skate, etc.

I'm not sure how an enforcer is supposed to help that type of injury.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:15 AM
hfboardsuser

----

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 07-15-2012 at 01:09 AM.
hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Topside

Carkner is your man.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Beerfish

The oilers do not need an enforcer. They have shown through the years that they are TOTALLY unwilling to let any enforcer do their job. It's a joke that teams that have finished at the bottom the last three years did not let enforcers go wild and take suspensions to send big messages.

A huge fat FAIL from the organization.

If the oilers were once again looking for one, Parros is a ufa is he not?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:22 AM
zeus3007*

If you read between the lines from Ralph Krueger's first press conference, it seems to me that he believes the Oilers players weren't rested enough and that could have led to some of the injuries. I don't think an enforcer would have prevented any of the injuries to be honest. Hall getting in a fight with Dorsett would have happened even with an enforcer on the bench. RNH's freak shoulder injury could have happened to anyone, he hit a rut and hit the boards.

If Krueger uses Ben Eager more effectively than Tom Renney did, then we already have that player on the bench anyway.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:22 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Don't u guys already have eager? Jordin TooToo. Edmonton is closest to his home climate and you can have caribou jerkey.

Your team can only have so many Doug The Thug Glats.
I definitely see TooToo going to EDM, that little *****

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

I could see the Oilers trying to sign Prust for the money he wants.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:24 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Sutton and Hordichuk did just fine. It seems like Eager signed with the Oilers because he was dumb enough to think that they were so bad that he could get top 6 minutes. He didn't want to be a tough guy last season.
He was also suffering with back issues for most of the year. Hopefully he comes into camp healthy and realizes his role now.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:25 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
First of all. Oilers injuries have been going on for five years. And not all injuries were due to rough play. It was suggested that the oilers spend too much time workinh out in the gym and other places. A fitness expert was on one of their radio stations and suggested working out too much is worse then working out too little

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote