HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2012, 01:35 AM
  #851
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
that is like the polar opposite of a Carle outlet pass..



/melikes
More like the Carle letdown pass.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
  #852
threeGo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
that is like the polar opposite of a Carle outlet pass..



/melikes
You won't see many of those. For every one of those successful outlet pass you'll have 3-5 delay of games or turn overs right in front of your goalie. I've been calling for a trade since October about Schenn. I'm not saying JVR will be better because at this point I just look at the trade as something to get excited about as it is a change. Hope he works out well for you guys and that JVR becomes a true top 6 player.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:50 PM
  #853
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
You won't see many of those. For every one of those successful outlet pass you'll have 3-5 delay of games or turn overs right in front of your goalie. I've been calling for a trade since October about Schenn. I'm not saying JVR will be better because at this point I just look at the trade as something to get excited about as it is a change. Hope he works out well for you guys and that JVR becomes a true top 6 player.
Thanks for your perspective. There was a healthy tongue-in-cheek about Schenn's ability to hit a streaking forward for a breakaway, and I've seen enough Leaf games to have witnessed the ugly side of Luke Schenn treating the puck like an HIV-positive porcupine.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:07 PM
  #854
Top Cheese Danish
Registered User
 
Top Cheese Danish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Schenn brothers on Off The Record yesterday:

http://www.tsn.ca/shows/otr/

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:41 PM
  #855
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne Come Back View Post
Schenn brothers on Off The Record yesterday:

http://www.tsn.ca/shows/otr/
That was all right -- "He's studying the universe." -- but someone needs to coach the two of them on how to be good interviewees.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:53 PM
  #856
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That was all right -- "He's studying the universe." -- but someone needs to coach the two of them on how to be good interviewees.
they play on the same team as Hartnell and Bryz, they'll learn

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:57 PM
  #857
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne Come Back View Post
Schenn brothers on Off The Record yesterday:

http://www.tsn.ca/shows/otr/
They're like twins! They look alike, they sound alike, it seems like they are very similar personalities as well!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:22 PM
  #858
Wildlife
Registered User
 
Wildlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schennson View Post
"NHLFlyers Luke Schenn will wear #22 for the #Flyers"
I just saw this today and am wondering why the switch to #22? Does anybody know if there's a reason he didn't take #2 or did he just do it because he could?

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:23 PM
  #859
YuioIklo
Registered User
 
YuioIklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,394
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlife View Post
I just saw this today and am wondering why the switch to #22? Does anybody know if there's a reason he didn't take #2 or did he just do it because he could?
#2 is retired, it was Mark Howe's number.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:26 PM
  #860
Wildlife
Registered User
 
Wildlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
#2 is retired, it was Mark Howe's number.
Well now I feel like an idiot. I assumed that's what it was so I looked it up and the site I went to didn't have that listed as one of the retired numbers. Well, thanks!

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
  #861
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,337
vCash: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlife View Post
Well now I feel like an idiot. I assumed that's what it was so I looked it up and the site I went to didn't have that listed as one of the retired numbers. Well, thanks!
#2 has been used since Mark Howe (ceremony this season) wore it.
#7 (Bill Barber) was used as well - by Jay Wells for instance. Once the players made the Hockey Hall of Fame, the numbers were officially retired.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:18 PM
  #862
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 923
vCash: 463
You guys got a real good player. One of those low maintenance, character guys who have that extra gear when it's needed

Leaf fans roasted this guy for months. Dumb people failing to understand that the guy plays on a god awful team and is only 22, basically rode him outta town.
His confidence was shot to hell. Playing with good 2way players like Giroux and Coutourier, I'm sure he'll regain old form fast.

He's gonna be a Top shut down defenceman for you guys ie: Marc Staal, Girardi, Green (LA Kings), Hamuis.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
  #863
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
You guys got a real good player. One of those low maintenance, character guys who have that extra gear when it's needed

Leaf fans roasted this guy for months. Dumb people failing to understand that the guy plays on a god awful team and is only 22, basically rode him outta town.
His confidence was shot to hell. Playing with good 2way players like Giroux and Coutourier, I'm sure he'll regain old form fast.

He's gonna be a Top shut down defenceman for you guys ie: Marc Staal, Girardi, Green (LA Kings), Hamuis.
I totally agree. It's tough playing in Leafland and Schenn is a young kid, Dman don't blossom til they're 25 yrs and up, he never had a chance and his mentor was Pheneuf?
I think the Flyers will fit him in nicely and give him some confidence.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:55 AM
  #864
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I totally agree. It's tough playing in Leafland and Schenn is a young kid, Dman don't blossom til they're 25 yrs and up, he never had a chance and his mentor was Pheneuf?
I think the Flyers will fit him in nicely and give him some confidence.
Agreed. I think Schenn is going to be an awesome fit here. Not necessarily a #1, but I think he'll have a good impact for his tenure here.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
  #865
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
You guys got a real good player. One of those low maintenance, character guys who have that extra gear when it's needed

Leaf fans roasted this guy for months. Dumb people failing to understand that the guy plays on a god awful team and is only 22, basically rode him outta town.
His confidence was shot to hell. Playing with good 2way players like Giroux and Coutourier, I'm sure he'll regain old form fast.

He's gonna be a Top shut down defenceman for you guys ie: Marc Staal, Girardi, Green (LA Kings), Hamuis.
I really hope you are right. I am really excited to see how the two brother's play rubs off on each other.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:18 PM
  #866
hiptanaka
Registered User
 
hiptanaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Woonsocket
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
I was surprised to hear how the main boards had soured on Schenn when the trade was done. I remember watching him in his rookie year and admiring how he seemed to be playing better defense than most of the Pens' D.

hiptanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
  #867
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Im sure we'll all be ecstatic and over the moon if he turns out to be anything like Marc Staal or rock steady Hamhuis.

The Leafs poster is right on the mark about how god awful the Geafs are.

How bad? How starved for talent?

Last week, JVR had a team presser. Hordes of reporters reported and gave him as much coverage as Crosby got when he joined the Pens.

All this for a guy that played third line on the Flyers?

These guys talk about this rookie 'Nazim Khadr' as if he is the next coming of Christ.

Yup, that 'team' is pathetically starved for talent. As bad as it ever gets for Philly, we can always say .. 'At least we're not the Geafs!'

@ Geafs is my word for the Leafs..I always call em that..

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
  #868
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,231
vCash: 500
I'm not sure Toronto was the best place for JVR to prove detractors wrong with all the media attention..although he may do so.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
  #869
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I'm not sure Toronto was the best place for JVR to prove detractors wrong with all the media attention..although he may do so.
I believe he will there. He was totally misused here, even Brian Burke said it.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:54 AM
  #870
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I believe he will there. He was totally misused here, even Brian Burke said it.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
  #871
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I believe he will there. He was totally misused here, even Brian Burke said it.
Misusing him would be playing him as a center, which Brian Burke said will happen....

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:57 AM
  #872
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I'm not sure Toronto was the best place for JVR to prove detractors wrong with all the media attention..although he may do so.
Well you can say the same about Luke Schenn here.


JVR will receive more ice/pp time so he should improve just on that alone, but they aren't doing the kid any favors by attempting to try him at center right off the bat.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
  #873
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,751
vCash: 500
My guess is that Luke ends up wearing #5.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
  #874
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
My guess is that Luke ends up wearing #5.
Coburn wears 5. Schenn is wearing 22.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
  #875
DickTony
Registered User
 
DickTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
My guess is that Luke ends up wearing #5.
He's already announced he'll be wearing 22, no?

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.