HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz (Update: will sign with Edmonton)

Old
06-29-2012, 01:01 PM
tuckrr

vCash: 500
Isn't the hype that he's > than Gardiner ?

IF that is true:

Schultz > Gardiner > MAB/Gus

how's my math?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
That assumption is incorrect, but it's not your fault. I just put the premise of my point out there with out ever clearly making it, so it's understandable you took it how you did. I said what I did more to emphasize that MAB and Gus are certainly not less deserving of a shot at the top four than Schultz at this point (and no, they are probably not inferior hockey players to him overall once we get past the hype).

I did not make the comparison in order to imply that Schultz can't step in as a decent 4/5 guy. In fact I think MAB or Gus fit best as 4/5/6 guys (though Gustaffson probably has some upside to be more a little than that IMO). Schultz just makes little sense for the Flyers. We already have comparably capable defenseman on the roster that have shown more at the NHL level. If we make moves or sign guys, it should be to improve at a roster spot as opposed to clog the depth chart. And though it wasn't my point with my previous post, yes I believe penciling Schultz into the line up is probably a lateral move at best this season, given the growing pains Schultz is likely to go through, and we don't know that it's an improvement in seasons going forward.

Homer would be better served to let the guys he has now play and get better. This team has plenty, plenty of talent. They just need a year or two of the roster not being over-managed to gel and I think they can be awesome.
You're still missing the point of my post. I said IF the hype is true and he lives up to it. IF that is the case then he would be an improvement over MAB or Gus. If you honestly think that MAB and Gus are top four defensemen, then I guess you just don't agree with what I am saying, but I don't know how you could think MAB or Gus is a top four defenseman at this point in their careers, seeing as how neither have shown the ability to even be a consistent 5/6 defenseman in the league. And again, that post was NOT saying that I think Schultz is going to live up to the hype or even that he IS better than either of these two, simply that IF HE DOES live up to his hype (that being that he could step in as a top four defenseman right now), he would be an improvement over those two.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:39 PM
RussianRocket10

A great tweet from Bobby Ryan.

Quote:
What time is "the decision" Justin Schultz edition on tomorrow? Want to make sure I tune in.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I really don't even like this kid. He will be one disliked player in the NHL among his peers. I doubt he even signs here. He wants a "guaranteed" spot like he has even worked hard to earn a spot like the other NHLers who put in work to get where they are at.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I really don't even like this kid. He will be one disliked player in the NHL among his peers. I doubt he even signs here. He wants a "guaranteed" spot like he has even worked hard to earn a spot like the other NHLers who put in work to get where they are at.
First, once he is under contract, there's nothing stopping the GM from sending him down.

Second, I don't think it unreasonable all for his camp to rule out any place where he doesn't figure to get immediate NHL time. It isn't an ego thing, it is the difference of $800+ between his NHL and AHL salary on the two-way contract he is required to sign under the terms of the CBA.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
First, once he is under contract, there's nothing stopping the GM from sending him down.

Second, I don't think it unreasonable all for his camp to rule out any place where he doesn't figure to get immediate NHL time. It isn't an ego thing, it is the difference of $800+ between his NHL and AHL salary on the two-way contract he is required to sign under the terms of the CBA.
No its him being a self entitled prima donna. There is a unwritten code amongst the NHL players to earn an NHL spot. This is how you get respect by proving yourself. There are many players who don't want to play in the AHL. But they suck it up and work hard to make it to the NHL. Spare me the dumb crap. Players have already come out showing their displeasure in this saga. He will be disliked among his peers in the NHL.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
No its him being a self entitled prima donna. There is a unwritten code amongst the NHL players to earn an NHL spot. This is how you get respect by proving yourself. There are many players who don't want to play in the AHL. But they suck it up and work hard to make it to the NHL. Spare me the dumb crap. Players have already come out showing their displeasure in this saga. He will be disliked among his peers in the NHL.
I don't doubt that some players will hold this against him, but I think others will recognize he's doing the only thing he can under the terms of the CBA.

So, you're saying, that if you were offered two positions, one likely to pay $92,500, the other likely to pay $925,000 you should take the lesser, simply because it is... what, less egotistical?

I really don't follow.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
BernieParent

As well, might the Schultz hold-out have the potential for other top-tier draftees to try to wait things out to choose their own destiny?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
As well, might the Schultz hold-out have the potential for other top-tier draftees to try to wait things out to choose their own destiny?
Well, I think most assume that this is somehow going to be addressed in the new CBA---perhaps requiring them to re-enter the draft.

But yeah, it will sent a precedent for some players--but keep in mind, a guy has to follow a pretty specific career pattern to get to this point, right? No CHL, three years in college, etc.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't doubt that some players will hold this against him, but I think others will recognize he's doing the only thing he can under the terms of the CBA.

So, you're saying, that if you were offered two positions, one likely to pay $92,500, the other likely to pay $925,000 you should take the lesser, simply because it is... what, less egotistical?

I really don't follow.
I'm not saying that is what i will do. But your problem is you aren't looking at the whole picture. A guy who blew off Anaheim. He didn't even have the balls to call the and tell them he wasn't going to sign there even when he told them earlier that he was stoked and ready to play for the organization. This guy didn't even return their calls when they were trying to get in contact with them.

Then comes the “shortlist” to tease people for days. Now he’s trumping the league’s vets by announcing his decision a day before FA officially starts.

Don't like him a bit. He's handled this whole situation wrong.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I'm not saying that is what i will do. But your problem is you aren't looking at the whole picture. A guy who blew off Anaheim. He didn't even have the balls to call the and tell them he wasn't going to sign there even when he told them earlier that he was stoked and ready to play for the organization. This guy didn't even return their calls when they were trying to get in contact with them.

Then comes the “shortlist” to tease people for days. Now he’s trumping the league’s vets by announcing his decision a day before FA officially starts.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

Anaheim did nothing other than draft him--it isn't like they cultivated his development and then he bolted.

As for the timing, blame the CBA. He couldn't talk to teams until last weekend, and he can't sign before tomorrow. All told, he took about 1 week to make the biggest decision of his life. He hasn't paraded in front of the cameras--as far as I can tell, he hasn't said a word to anyone in the media.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Are the Flyers out on him? Or could we be the "mystery team"?

I recall us being in the original 5...which apparently became 7 and DIDN'T include the Flyers. I missed when this happened...

edit: but the two teams with his friends on it AND his hometown team all being OUT, may be a good time for Homer to jump in and make him an offer he can't refuse.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:34 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Philly is always the mystery team

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Officially done, to Edmonton.
Quote:
Edmonton Oilers ‏@NHL_Oilers
The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with Justin Schultz. More details to come.
https://twitter.com/NHL_Oilers/statu...54813315858432

Old
06-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Prongo
Beer

So Edmonton it is for the kid. Good luck to him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:52 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
In the west, I'm fine with that.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:20 PM
RussianRocket10

That team is going to be scary in the next few years.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:08 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
That team is going to be scary in the next few years.
They might be scary in a few years, but the big question is how are they going to afford everyone. That's the problem with being a crappy team for so long. And even then, I'm still not convinced they're going to be that great as long as they continue to have the same clowns running the show there. Steve Tambellini is probably the worst GM in hockey. Every decision he's had to make has been an easy decision. Even then, with the easy decisions, he's managed to blow some of them (Ales Hemsky at 10 million over 2 years is a good place to start). I'm not worried about the Oilers at all as long as the triumvirate of Lowe, Tambellini and MacTavish are in place.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:

I am not so sure that Schultz is actually handling the situation ? Surely he is being advised by a VERY savy agent who is doing his job within the NHL rules to get his client the best situation he can get......Such is professional sports.The Flyers sign players to long term deals then trade them away right after the contract etc. Not saying it was a bad move by the Flyers, but its all part of the game. It works both ways, and in this case Schultz and his handlers got what they wanted ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
What's he supposed to do, sign with a team that has one of the deepest group of D-men so he can be the 7th guy? LOL

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:17 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
What's he supposed to do, sign with a team that has one of the deepest group of D-men so he can be the 7th guy? LOL
I agree with this......Gretzky and Coffee evidently do not dislike the way he played his cards to come to Edmonton ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote