HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travis Moen re-signed for 4 years, $1.85M per year (modified NTC)

Old
06-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
And then there's the modified NTC though... Not a huuuge thing, but not a good thing necessarily, either.
I don't think that's much of an issue. As you said it is modified. Really, not necessarily good but not worth worrying over either.

As for looking at a cap saving deal, we did get that. He was going to get over 2M on the open market, I'm pretty sure of that. He wasn't getting a decrease, no way he should anyways. I was more turned off by the length, but it really isn't that bad.

Moen is a very good serviceable player. Decent deal all together, not one we'll regret.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Moen is a very good serviceable player. Decent deal all together, not one we'll regret.
Yeah, for sure. Even if Moen dosen't play as well in the last year or two of his deal, he'll stiill make a solid 4th liner. I don't see a problem. This deal takes him to 34 years old. About right, if you ask me.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:46 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Love to hear it, and he takes a smaller cap hit, picks up an extra year, for the team....

These are the guys teams need...
This

People saying he's overpaid don't realize that with inflation and and increase salary cap, he's making like the same money he was doing in his last contract of 1.5M per. On the UFA market I'm 100% positive he could have gotten 2-2.5M easily 2-3+ years

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i don't know... given the season he had last year (aside from the injury, which he recovered from and was cleared to play prior to the end of the season), and his play over the duration of his last contract as a whole, he was looking at a raise regardless of the team cap number.

that the cap went up significantly, yet he only got a minor raise, i think falls into the "better than status quo" realm.

granted, the 4 year term ends up being what the club "gave up", but for a variety of reasons I think 4 years won't be a problem for us.

the modified NTC doesn't worry me much, Moen doesn't strike me as a player who would get too picky about destinations if he had fallen out of favor and was being used in minimal roles... and even then, at a 1.85M$ cap hit, a buy-out or burrying him in the minors, if it came to that, wouldn't be that problematic.

all in all I'd call it a very good signing. He would have hit 2M$+ on the open market, and as some like to emphasize, signing in Montreal (taxes) means he gave up even more than the actual salary difference to stay here... he's committed, in giving him 4-years we showed that we are committed, let's hope the hockey gods reward us both for showing such good faith!
I know what you're saying. I get it. But here's the thing. As enticing as Moen's streaks this year may have looked, he still hasn't had a season like he did in Anaheim in '06/07. Realize that after that season, still in his RFA years granted, he was "valued" at roughly $1 mil in a 50 mil cap world (2%). Since then, he has proven quite consistent. Not surprisingly, his consistency (plus UFA value) resulted in a modest raise to $1.5 mil in a 57 mil cap world (2.6%).

Now check out what $1.85 mil is in a 70 mil cap world. That's right, 2.6%. That's what I'm saying. His cap hit has scaled exactly according to the cap increase. But, like I said earlier, we're talking about a 4 year contract extending from age 32 to 36. If he remains consistent the whole way, then the $1.85 mil will have proven to be consistently good value. As I suggested earlier, "status quo".

But there are commonly increased risks and uncertainties in that age range; even today. So to put the addition of a limited NTC clause on what is already "average value", I still can't consider the signing/contract "fantastic". If he had signed for a number like $2 mil or above, I would have considered that a slight knock as well. Having said that, realistically, price differences in the 100s of thousands (either way) don't meaningfully impact cap management any more significantly than a sign of faith can positively impact a player.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:35 PM
MrNasty

Kypreos is saying Prust wants 3M per. moen deal is a good one.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Youpi ki yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I know what you're saying. I get it. But here's the thing. As enticing as Moen's streaks this year may have looked, he still hasn't had a season like he did in Anaheim in '06/07. Realize that after that season, still in his RFA years granted, he was "valued" at roughly $1 mil in a 50 mil cap world (2%). Since then, he has proven quite consistent. Not surprisingly, his consistency (plus UFA value) resulted in a modest raise to $1.5 mil in a 57 mil cap world (2.6%).

Now check out what $1.85 mil is in a 70 mil cap world. That's right, 2.6%. That's what I'm saying. His cap hit has scaled exactly according to the cap increase. But, like I said earlier, we're talking about a 4 year contract extending from age 32 to 36. If he remains consistent the whole way, then the $1.85 mil will have proven to be consistently good value. As I suggested earlier, "status quo".

But there are commonly increased risks and uncertainties in that age range; even today. So to put the addition of a limited NTC clause on what is already "average value", I still can't consider the signing/contract "fantastic". If he had signed for a number like $2 mil or above, I would have considered that a slight knock as well. Having said that, realistically, price differences in the 100s of thousands (either way) don't meaningfully impact cap management any more significantly than a sign of faith can positively impact a player.
Won't it be 30 - 34? He turns 34 on April 6, 2016.

Last edited by Youpi ki yay: 06-30-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: My Bad math skills: Oops he only turns 34 on April 6, 2016. Math was never my specialty.
Youpi ki yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Hum, a bit much, he didn't produce a whole lot last season, but still, he's an equivalent of Colby Armstrong pre-Toronto fiasco.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Good luck with that, Prust.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youpi ki yay View Post
Won't it be 30 - 34? He turns 34 on April 6, 2016.
Ha, yup, you're right. I must have just checked on a Brad Richards thread before those posts, lol.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not sure what you're getting at really..

Everybody wants better players, but free agency hasn't started and we're not in a position to make these amazing trades.
Moen was going to re-sign and the term is long, but the money is good, no reason to jump for joy, no reason to cry either. Noky is a right handed center good at faceoffs, we needed a 4th line center. Instead of signing a new one every year or trading picks, Halpern and Moore, might as well keep him.

But really, these guys are decent/good 3rd/4th liners, improving them isn't really the important part. We have to improve the top 6 and bring in better depth. We don't have to sign a superstar. Just make smart signings, like taking a risk on guys like Lats or Mueller that will likely come in quite cheap. If they pass their medicals, then the risk/reward is pretty interesting. Always can aim for the bigger names, but you know..I'm not even sure I'll be interested in knowing how much they'll be asking for.

Bergevin said in his post-hiring presser, there's a lot of work to do, and it's not going to take one year. He also said his philosophy in building a winner is through good drafting and player development. So, I'm guessing that it's what's gonna happen, so prepare to be patient buddy.
I disagree here. I think improving the bottom 6 is a priority and a big one.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I disagree here. I think improving the bottom 6 is a priority and a big one.
Sure, it's a priority, and a big one if you want, but a lesser one than improving the D and the top 6.

Eller-Moen-White-Noke are part of the bottom 6, one spot (3rd line) might be left to a youngster (Leblanc/Palushaj) and another rugged winger from open market.

What truly is important is to get some help to Plekanec and possibly getting a solid top 4 D. But I'm aware no changes to the D might be done.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro
Count me in among those who are skeptical re the 4yr deal at 1.85m per year. Habs better hope he's 3rd liner bcz 2much $ if hes 4th line
He's an idiot and said the habs should trade Cole.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:41 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The Habs only just finished hiring the management group so I think we'll see more 'impact' roster moves soon. I'd like to think so at least...wouldn't make too much sense otherwise. I don't expect a major overhaul, other teams would have to actually want the garbage, but I'm confident we'll see something.
With the Habs not buying out Gomez, it is pretty obvious they will be sending him to the minors unless there are a ton of injuries at the start of the season. Guys who score 39 points are not going to make the team as an offensive player.

That being the case, we have about $15M in cap space after signing Price at 6.5, Subban at 3.3 and Eller at 1.5.

That is PLENTY of space for the team to acquire impact players! Whether they will come via free agency or via trade remains to be seen.

Also, whoever is acquired, we are going to have a 2 year window with the group in place because there is not a single player of any importance who will be UFA after the next season, like we had with Gorges and Moen this year.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Hum, a bit much, he didn't produce a whole lot last season, but still, he's an equivalent of Colby Armstrong pre-Toronto fiasco.
Equivalent to Armstrong ?

Armstrong scored 22 and 15 goals before signing in Fail land

Prust had 13 and 5 in drama land.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:15 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

NTC for the first 2 years is not bad at all. It's the last 2 years that he might be good trade bait.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:05 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
4 years is a lot for a player like this but on the other hand its nice to have the team show some loyalty to the players who bleed for this team.

Huge Moen fan...very happy with this deal. Very happy
Great signing...so happy Moen wanted to stay in Mtl.

Smart, very disciplined, gritty, defensive warrior with some offense.
Perfect 3rd line warrior (and can temporarily replace injured top 6 players).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-01-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:03 AM
kojiro

That Gustad contract really makes the Moen deal look better and better to me in comparison. Gustad is a faceoff beast and a very servisable defensive center with size but a 3,25 cap hit is ridiculous for a guy with 25 points a year upside at best. Moen can do everything that he does (outside of winning faceoffs ) with the added bonus of being a decent fighter.

kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro
Count me in among those who are skeptical re the 4yr deal at 1.85m per year. Habs better hope he's 3rd liner bcz 2much $ if hes 4th line
After reading this stupid statement, I really want Spain to win today.

That fat ******* has got to be the worst media member ever.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Bump.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:28 PM
SouthernHab

Lets see if we can top the number of hate DD threads with hate Moen threads.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:28 PM
PhysicX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Bump.
Oh, and Moen's down.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Bump.
Well I always thought you were a decent poster.

Pretty lame bump. Very shortsighted.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:37 PM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Oh, and Moen's down.
Ironic, considering your avatar.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Well I always thought you were a decent poster.

Pretty lame bump. Very shortsighted.
What's the issue? It just reminds everyone how well-liked he was just a year ago. There's an ignore button if you need to add me to it

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:42 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Bump.
Come on man, I hate to be that guy, but it's just preseason and he didn't even play that poorly tonight.

I still think he's worth the money. He may have had a bad season last year, but he had an outstanding one the year before. Let's wait for the season at the very least to start judging his (relatively cheap) contract.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote