HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency as a Preds fan.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
NHLwriter
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Free Agency as a Preds fan.

As a very content Preds fan, what I can usually expect on July 1st is more loss than gain, especially with this off season. In the not very distant past, Poile has brought in small bits and pieces, nothing special by any means. This season, with the probability of star D Ryan Suter being inked by any of the 29 other teams in the NHL, we would have to soften the blow to our Blue line. Of course next season is already going to feature many more appearances from Ryan Ellis and Roman Josi, I feel that Poile will still have to acquire some sort of replacement for Suter.

A good option to add to our arsenal of defense would be a guy like Matt Carle, a 27 year old blue liner who will most likely go to July 1st and test the market. Carle is one of the better D-men who will be UFA's, and I can assure you that there will be plenty of offers for his services. Him signing with the Preds is a stretch, but he knows that with the loss of Suter, he could be potentially playing along side one of the best in the business, Shea Weber. Trots, however, would start a player like Carle on the second Pairing, along side either Hal Gill or Roman Josi, as Kevin Klein will probably be a shoe-in for the top Pairing.

The Preds have been known for a Offense that aint pretty, but they get the job done. In 2011-2012, the predators had over 12 players with 10 or more goals. So offensive depth isnt the problem when you have guys like Sergai Kostitsyn, David Legwand, Mike Fisher and Martin Erat. But as i can't see Radulov re-signing with the preds, we need that go-to guy. We could go for someone like Bobby Ryan, but all players have a cost, a cost that Poile may not be comfortable paying. So we shift back to Free agency, and who would be available to be an actual 1st line player.

Alexander Semin would log important minutes in a preds uniform, however he is almost exactly what this team isn't, and that is lazy. You all saw what happened to Radulov in the playoffs, right? No thank you. A player that I would love to see us signing, not as a star player, but as a player that could push us past the second round if healthy, would be PA Parenteau, PA had two break out seasons with the islanders, earning 53 points in 2010-11, and following that up with 67 points in 2011-12. This player has really nothing but upside, and would be a great fit for a Preds top 6 Forward. PA has many reasons to sign with better teams than the Preds, but going into July 1st, if Poile has any interest in Parenteau, he will assure him plenty of ice-time.

This is the Free Agency that excites, and frightens a Predators Fan. The loss of an Elite defender, but the mysteries of what could potentially up David Poile's sleeve. The only thing people like me can do is wait and see, as there have been little rumors to go on in Nashville revolving free agency.

NHLwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
PredDave

I highly doubt you would ever see Kevin Klein paired up with Shea Weber. And you ask why? They are both right handed shots and Trotz & Co. usually pair up a righty and a lefty more often than not. You might see a guy like Josi paired up with Weber and see a really young guy like Ryan Ellis paired with Hal Gill. That leaves the second pairing for Kevin Klein plus < INSERT FREE AGENT SIGNING HERE > (maybe a guy like Matt Carle). I doubt Jonathan Blum ever makes it back out of Trotz' doghouse. Maybe a strong camp from Ekholm could start the season with Klein, but I doubt that would happen as well.

My gut tells me that Suter will be re-signed to Nashville for ridiculous money sometime around July 5th or 6th when he realizes we are the best location for him.

I could see Poile signing someone like Ollie Jokinen or Ray Whitney to give us a slight boost at forward. I strongly doubt we will land Doan, Ryan, or any other desirable free agent.

My 2 cents...

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Top 6 Spaling

post #1! Welcome aboard!

I agree with the above poster that Klein, a righty, wont get paired with Weber. I'd say Josi has that spot barring a FA signing or a trade (JBo).

As for July 1, I see Pole getting one bigger name forward (Doan/Whitney/PAP/Jokinen/(dream)Parise), one bigger name Dman (Suter/Carle/Allen/(trade)JBo), a backup goalie (Ellis/Mason), and a reclamation project (Latendresse/Mueller/etc.)

I hope he can get all of that done....

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Legionnaire11

I also think Josi is a good match with Weber, that of course if he continues the progression he showed last season. If he pulls a Blum/Ellis and tapers off, then we're in trouble relying on him like that. But I do think he has a chance to be the best of the bunch (Josi, Blum, Ellis, Ekholm)

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:03 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
I highly doubt you would ever see Kevin Klein paired up with Shea Weber. And you ask why? They are both right handed shots and Trotz & Co. usually pair up a righty and a lefty more often than not. You might see a guy like Josi paired up with Weber and see a really young guy like Ryan Ellis paired with Hal Gill. That leaves the second pairing for Kevin Klein plus < INSERT FREE AGENT SIGNING HERE > (maybe a guy like Matt Carle). I doubt Jonathan Blum ever makes it back out of Trotz' doghouse. Maybe a strong camp from Ekholm could start the season with Klein, but I doubt that would happen as well.

My gut tells me that Suter will be re-signed to Nashville for ridiculous money sometime around July 5th or 6th when he realizes we are the best location for him.

I could see Poile signing someone like Ollie Jokinen or Ray Whitney to give us a slight boost at forward. I strongly doubt we will land Doan, Ryan, or any other desirable free agent.

My 2 cents...
Olli Jokinen would be on our first line if we got him and I doubt that he would be too expensive. Ray Whitney is also a hard worker that can put up a lot of points despite his age, would love if we managed to get both of those guys.

Yes it would be nice to pick up Shane Doan or trade some pieces for Bobby Ryan, but at this current moment it is doubtful.

At this point we can throw money at Suter because of our cap situation and the fact that we have the most cap space in the NHL by a considerable amount will help us in that effort.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:08 PM
RaiderDoug

I like Carle, but as probably the 2nd best defenseman hitting UFA, I don't think i'd be comfortable locking into a contract that will be like, 5 mil over 5 years, with a decent but not great d-man like Carle.

Parenteau is a boom or bust. Would anyone be shocked if he signed for a huge sum and was never heard from again.

I still think Jokinen (less of a risk than Parenteau, plays Center) and Bryan Allen (cheaper than Carle) would be better options.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

i thought i seen carle could get up to 6 million per year.... yeah....

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:07 PM
maplepred

I second this entire post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I like Carle, but as probably the 2nd best defenseman hitting UFA, I don't think i'd be comfortable locking into a contract that will be like, 5 mil over 5 years, with a decent but not great d-man like Carle.

Parenteau is a boom or bust. Would anyone be shocked if he signed for a huge sum and was never heard from again.

I still think Jokinen (less of a risk than Parenteau, plays Center) and Bryan Allen (cheaper than Carle) would be better options.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:32 PM
NoNecksCurse

jokinen won't be cheap. 5 million per year is my guess

Old
06-29-2012, 10:38 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
jokinen won't be cheap. 5 million per year is my guess
His last contract was 3 mil a year; the one before it was 5.0-5.5 a year for 4. I don't see him getting more than 3.5 per.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:48 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
His last contract was 3 mil a year; the one before it was 5.0-5.5 a year for 4. I don't see him getting more than 3.5 per.
he will definitely get more than that imo

Old
06-30-2012, 12:00 AM
ilikeblocks

I'll be happy with anybody as long as we don't give up assets for Bouwmeester (as some are suggesting on the main board).

Old
06-30-2012, 12:40 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I'll be happy with anybody as long as we don't give up assets for Bouwmeester (as some are suggesting on the main board).
Then you had best hope we retain Suter; otherwise, I wouldn't pass up on the chance to acquire Bouwmeester. He's a big, mobile southpaw who can gobble up minutes in all situations. He would be a good option to have alongside Weber. Now, if Feaster wants, say, Josi, that's a bit different. But if he's looking for Wilson or Blum and picks, I think we would be very interested.

Jokinen would be a good buy on a 2-3 year contract if the money is right. It lets us play Smith on the wing where he can excel as a tenacious forechecking self and be a little more opportunistic on offense.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:57 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
he will definitely get more than that imo
Yeah he will. Let's not forget that recently Ward and Armstrong each got $3 on the open market.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Jokinen will get 4.5 at the very least.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Jokinen will get 4.5 at the very least.
That's what i'd offer, depends on the term I guess. It's not a pressing need but would be nice to have a clear #1 center*

*in terms of the preds, not necessarily a consensus NHL #1 C

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:02 PM
jusu11

aaaand there goes Justin Schultz. Well not a suprise but still...

jusu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusu11 View Post
aaaand there goes Justin Schultz. Well not a suprise but still...
He's a North American Alexander Radulov...

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:55 AM
randymc2641

Anyone know a good twitter handle to follow today to get all the signing updates? Tsn maybe?

randymc2641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

I just want Suter and Weber back. That's all I'm asking. Maybe that's out of reach at this point, but it sure would be great.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:10 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Funny I almost want just one of the 2 and a real offensive player....

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:09 PM
ilikeblocks

Is it wrong to thing Jagr in a Preds uni would be epic? Instant offense, he was good for the kids in Philly. Toss 4 mil at him.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Is it wrong to thing Jagr in a Preds uni would be epic? Instant offense, he was good for the kids in Philly. Toss 4 mil at him.
If it's any indication, Jagr was only here in NY for 3 seasons and he's one of my top 5 all time favorites, and I'm not alone. He has a bum reputation but fans of his team absolutely love the guy. I think Nashville would flip for him. Would love to see him in yellow.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Byrddog

TSN put a teaser out there that Suter has been offered 13 years 100 mil by an unnamed team.... Really

Oh and being a Pred fan at during F/A is akin to a month long colonoscopy...

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:42 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Oh and being a Pred fan at during F/A is akin to a month long colonoscopy...

A very long one from a first year rotation student performed without proper lubrication.