HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zac Rinaldo

Old
06-30-2012, 03:38 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Zac Rinaldo

Zac is one of our young players i am really looking forward to watch play this year.I think Lavy is going to look for him to transition a little more toward becoming more of an offensive player and cutting down on his time spent in the box.
There were times last season that i saw some pretty nice flashes of nice puck handling,passing and shooting skills that made me realize that the young lad is not a one trick pony,and can become a pretty nice threat offensively as well as make the big timely open ice hit which he showed on a regular basis....Looking forward to see him maybe netting 12-15 goals next season?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Eh, I dont really expect that at all. Zac has ALWAYS been a one trick pony. He really has no offensive ability. He can hit and annoy people. Thats pretty much it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:41 PM
TheLegendkiller

I'm just hoping he rips Letang a new *******.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:43 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

He was the only Flyer trying in Game 5.

I really like the guy, he always gives it everything (for better or worse).

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Zac is one of our young players i am really looking forward to watch play this year.I think Lavy is going to look for him to transition a little more toward becoming more of an offensive player and cutting down on his time spent in the box.
There were times last season that i saw some pretty nice flashes of nice puck handling,passing and shooting skills that made me realize that the young lad is not a one trick pony,and can become a pretty nice threat offensively as well as make the big timely open ice hit which he showed on a regular basis....Looking forward to see him maybe netting 12-15 goals next season?
I'm just going to be very polite and say he has NEVER done that at any level since juniors. Heck, he's hit that many points TWICE in his entire career.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:44 PM
DeflatedFootball7

While I agree that Zac can put up more goals if he keeps it clean, which he did for the most part, I have my doubuts he even makes the team next year. Refs treat him unfairly. Doubt he's back in a long term role.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

He's never been an offensive player at any level to date, so there's no reason to think he will be relied upon for any kind of offensive production whatsoever. If he gets 15 points it should be considered a wild success. The kind of player he is is slowly becoming extinct.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:48 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Marked man, only adds useless penalties. I like his hits but it's clear the nhl isn't going to let zac play clean or not, so we need to move on. His skills are easily replaced by someone who isn't going to get 2 mins for reputation.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Big fan of Rinaldo, but I think I'd rather see Sestito out there. Wouldn't be opposed to both, either (I know a lot of people will not like that sentiment). Rinaldo has shown he can be an effective player out there and on a line with Talbot you are going to get a lot of people who don't like playing against them. Throw Sestito into the mix and you have a tough line to play against. Not the pretties, and none of them are winning scoring titles or Norris trophies, but I think they could be a tough line to play against.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:21 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

I do like Rinaldo a lot. He's not the nutcase people typically make him out to be. If he were bigger, or a better fighter, his spot in the lineup would be much more solidified. However, tis not the truth. Is he a one dimensional player? At this point in his career: yes. But I don't think people give him enough credit for his hockey sense. What he lacks in skill I do believe he makes up for in smarts (again: contrary to popular belief, because he does seem to lack judgment in terms of hitting everything that moves and tending to not let up when he does). But there is a reason the higher ups have been saying that Rinaldo would be an NHL player for years and a reason why Lavi said he expected him to have an elevated role next year. Will Rinaldo ever become a well-rounded grinder with a long NHL career ahead of him? I'd call it 50/50, to be honest. But I do believe he has the potential to be a solid utility player down the line.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Rinaldo will never be an offensive player. He will always be a good energy/agitator guy.

If he wants to continue to get better he needs to work hard defensively to stick around the league.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:37 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He's never been an offensive player at any level to date, so there's no reason to think he will be relied upon for any kind of offensive production whatsoever. If he gets 15 points it should be considered a wild success. The kind of player he is is slowly becoming extinct.
Rinaldo is not an enforcer. If anything Rinaldo's are becoming more relavent. Shelley's are going the way of the Dodo. Rats like Lappiere, Rinaldo, Neil etc are becoming more common.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Rinaldo is not an enforcer. If anything Rinaldo's are becoming more relavent. Shelley's are going the way of the Dodo. Rats like Lappiere, Rinaldo, Neil etc are becoming more common.
Lapierre and Neil hold a spot in the league because they do a few other things despite being marginal players. When your game revolves around what goes on near the penalty box, it's always an uphill battle. Lavy finally got the scoop when he realized he couldn't play Rinaldo in the playoffs.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:12 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, I dont really expect that at all. Zac has ALWAYS been a one trick pony. He really has no offensive ability. He can hit and annoy people. Thats pretty much it.
Sometimes when a coach or club gets a player who is willing and able to mix it up, agitate, make the big hit etc, they are automatically given a set role on a team as such, whether it be minors, juniors, NHL etc.....Zac can certainly do those things, but i see the potential for more offense outta the lad because of some of the things i saw him do during his limited shifts.....It may not happen certainly, but i would not really be very surprised if he reaches double digits in goals and assist if is penalty minutes are held to an acceptable number.
I remember Dave Schultz netting 20 goals one year ? Although i will agree Schultz was a scorer in the minors before he found his calling as an a$$ kicker in the NHL.Rinaldo on the other hand was not a scorer, but he can certainly skate much faster and handle the puck much better than the hammer could ?

Old
06-30-2012, 05:53 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I really don't see any offensive promise. I think the best move for Rinaldo would be to spend the entire season with the Phantoms killing penalties, taking face offs and playing a checking line role to develop into a Lappy or Ott type of player. The kids only 22 y/o so a season in the A won't hurt derail his career.

lancer247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

He has a better chance at being a PKer than and offensive player, which is fine by me

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
He has a better chance at being a PKer than and offensive player, which is fine by me
I really wish we'd let him stay in the AHL for a season or so in order to get full time PK duty. You can't learn on the job at the NHL level.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:57 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
That would be fine ! Maybe some short handed goals to boot ?

Old
06-30-2012, 08:53 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I really wish we'd let him stay in the AHL for a season or so in order to get full time PK duty. You can't learn on the job at the NHL level.
Yes you can

For instance: Simon Gagne

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:55 PM
bp spec

Love Rinaldo, but 12-15 goals are very unlikely.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Hate him. Never want to see him see a lick of icetime this season. I know the second he goes onto the ice, he will get called for a useless penalty just for being out there, whether he commits a penalty or not. The fact he even got playing time last season was mind-boggling to me.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

I'll take 8 goals and call it a day

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:17 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Yeah, he and Scrabbles would probably have been better off spending some more time in the AHL to be more complete players down the road. Rinaldo performed better than I expected last season, but I hope he won't play as many games this upcoming one.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It's hillarious the hate that Rinaldo gets.

He's easily a top 5 hitter in the league. That volchenkov hit is technically perfect and just so happens to be against one of the toughest defenseman in the league.

He's been taking penalty killing lessons from some of the other guys on the team. I see Rinaldo taking a bigger stride this year towards more icetime. He's a terror on the ice, and his hits are game changing.

Doesn't zac draw more penalties than take them on the ice?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's hillarious the hate that Rinaldo gets.

He's easily a top 5 hitter in the league. That volchenkov hit is technically perfect and just so happens to be against one of the toughest defenseman in the league.

He's been taking penalty killing lessons from some of the other guys on the team. I see Rinaldo taking a bigger stride this year towards more icetime. He's a terror on the ice, and his hits are game changing.

Doesn't zac draw more penalties than take them on the ice?
No such thing as 'game changing hits.' That hit on Volchenkov changed the game so much that the Flyers gave up 4 unanswered goals to end their season after although they did score score one themselves after the hit.

And no, he ended up taking more penalties than he took:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

Had the league lead for a while as I recall, until referees caught up to his act. He didn't draw a single penalty in the playoffs.