HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Halpysback*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laika86 View Post
This is literally the worst idea I've seen on here. I wouldn't trade forsberg for Ryan straight up. Paying/trading for established stars is an awful way to build a team
Yes, I too would not trade a guy whose optimal projection is below Ryan is for Ryan.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:47 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Yes, I too would not trade a guy whose optimal projection is below Ryan is for Ryan.
You pulled that out of your ass.

Forsbergs comparisons have been Perry.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
Who? And what chokes? The only player integral in the Montreal "choke" was Jaroslav Halak.
Seriously?

As a higher seeded team, we choked away a 2 game lead against Pittsburgh. Semin played like crap (gets a pass because Orpik broke his hand) and Green was putrid. Schultz, ELC, was so bad that we had 2 or 3 dmen playing with broken feet and he was a healthy scratch.

As conference champ we got embarrassed by a 5 seed. With the exception of Ovechkin and Fehr, no one even bothered to show up. Green was especially putrid and Semin's "care" meter was at 0.

In our latest playoff adventure, we pissed away a series lead and Johansson, ELC, had one of the worst playoffs I've ever seen.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
You pulled that out of your ass.

Forsbergs comparisons have been Perry.
And I'm the one pulling things out of my ass

Sorry for being realistic. He'll look great next to future Zetterberg in Johansson though.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Carlzner

Quote:

Sorry for being realistic. He'll look great next to future Zetterberg in Johansson though.
You're ridiculous.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
You're ridiculous.
Yeah I know I'm aiming pretty low. Though it doesn't even matter since we'll be being backstopped by Michal Hasek by then.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:01 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Yeah I know I'm aiming pretty low. Though it doesn't even matter since we'll be being backstopped by Michal Hasek by then.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Carlzner

Well Hasek's first good NHL season wasn't until over a decade after he was drafted.

But of course, he peaked at 24 years old, just like Neuvirth and every other goaltender.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Well Hasek's first good NHL season wasn't until over a decade after he was drafted.

But of course, he peaked at 24 years old, just like Neuvirth and every other goaltender.
I agree with you bro. Zetterberg-Malkin-Perry with Hasek between the pipes is gonna be dope. Shame we traded Kesler to Dallas though, would have filled that lineup out nicely.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:21 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:

Its funny cause Swedes typically are weird in they develop, just like Zetterberg and look like 60 point tops player then magically for several years they are PPG or close to it.

Sedins, Zetterberg, Eriksson, Alfredsson.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
I agree with you bro. Zetterberg-Malkin-Perry with Hasek between the pipes is gonna be dope. Shame we traded Kesler to Dallas though, would have filled that lineup out nicely.
I'm just wondering, do you know the meaning of comparisons?

Forsberg was compared to Perry multiple times (even in the NHL.com scouting video) in his STYLE OF PLAY. That doesn't mean he'll be as good as Perry, it means he plays like Perry.

So this post is just making you look immature and stupid.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Its funny cause Swedes typically are weird in they develop, just like Zetterberg and look like 60 point tops player then magically for several years they are PPG or close to it.

Sedins, Zetterberg, Eriksson, Alfredsson.
You could make the same list for just about every nationality with a large enough sample size.

Likewise, you could make a far longer list of players didn't amount to that much or collapsed after looking promising.

Forsberg could become Perry I guess, in the sense that any player who hasn't proven himself to be something could prove himself to be something beyond everyone's expectations, but a Cole/Franzen level seems a lot more optimally realistic. I don't see him as a pain to play against on all fronts 40-40 player let alone 50-50.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
I'm just wondering, do you know the meaning of comparisons?

Forsberg was compared to Perry multiple times (even in the NHL.com scouting video) in his STYLE OF PLAY. That doesn't mean he'll be as good as Perry, it means he plays like Perry.

So this post is just making you look immature and stupid.
I'd think not understanding the difference between stylistic comparison and projection is bigger grounds for looking stupid. Stylistic comparison has absolutely no relevance to the argument that Forsberg projects lower or at realistic best around where Ryan is in terms of potential on ice impact. Whether he does it stylistically resembling Perry or Ryan or Franzen or Hejduk or whatever isn't particularly relevant.

Last edited by Halpysback*: 06-30-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old
06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika86 View Post
This is literally the worst idea I've seen on here. I wouldn't trade forsberg for Ryan straight up.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Jedgi

I don't understand why you all are making "optimal" or floor projections for people. How angry and nuts would people be going if they had originally projected Perry; at 28th overall, to win a Hart, Richard, and be a perennial all-star by the age of 27?

Old
06-30-2012, 08:19 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Sorry, but Forsberg has a highly touted drive, considered similar to Perry(without the love of taking stupid penalties) and the supporting cast of Ovi, Backstrom, MoJo, and Kuznetsov. Then on the back end its Green, Carlson, and Orlov, essentially a PMD for every pairing.

Its hard to not be a major optimist about him. He's a sniper with great drive, how many of those are in the NHL and aren't at least consistent 30 goal guys?

Old
06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
dashtary*

Does anyone think that Galiev can make the team out of TC? I've been watching him more ever since he was drafted by the Caps and he seems to have all the tools to one day be a really solid top-6er. Or do you start him out in Hershey and let him develop his game like Orlov (albeit for only about 25-30 games this season and last) until he's further developed and ready? I think that he'll surprise with his NHL "readyness" in Training Camp but what do you guys think?

Old
06-30-2012, 08:55 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashCapsCup View Post
Does anyone think that Galiev can make the team out of TC? I've been watching him more ever since he was drafted by the Caps and he seems to have all the tools to one day be a really solid top-6er. Or do you start him out in Hershey and let him develop his game like Orlov (albeit for only about 25-30 games this season and last) until he's further developed and ready? I think that he'll surprise with his NHL "readyness" in Training Camp but what do you guys think?
I'm not all that familiar with his play over the last few seasons, but I think if you look at him you can see a similar development pattern with Eakin. I think the plan is to keep him in hershey for the year with the occasional call ups due to injury or just inject a spark into the lineup. I would love to be surprised though and see him flourish on the big squad, but I think him breaking his arm last year may have hindered his development from easily making the squad with the to be vacant semin hole

Old
06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Depending on the signings, he could be top 6 player consistently next year...

I really think hes a great player who can step it up in the playoffs, so hopefully he makes the roster.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I'm not all that familiar with his play over the last few seasons, but I think if you look at him you can see a similar development pattern with Eakin. I think the plan is to keep him in hershey for the year with the occasional call ups due to injury or just inject a spark into the lineup. I would love to be surprised though and see him flourish on the big squad, but I think him breaking his arm last year may have hindered his development from easily making the squad with the to be vacant semin hole
Oh come on.

You can't just tee them up like that.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:41 PM
usiel

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
He still seems to have a bit of a small frame physically. Player like that can compensate if they have a high compete level so we'll see. He's sort of the dark horse top 6 prospect for the caps. Reminds me of Semin a bit with some height (not as much) and plays with a long stick.

06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
He still seems to have a bit of a small frame physically. Player like that can compensate if they have a high compete level so we'll see. He's sort of the dark horse top 6 prospect for the caps. Reminds me of Semin a bit with some height (not as much) and plays with a long stick.
You're right on that part. He looked bigger this year when he played in the Q, but still could use some more muscle/weight as could any prospect. Recently didn't he state that he's at 6'1/6'2 and 196? So he's starting to get there, much alike Orlov.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Atlas

I like what I've heard about Galiev the last 2 yrs. I don't expect him this yr but who knows. I do think he's a legit top 6 guy, and not "just barely."

Old
06-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Atlas

Fortune Favors the Bold.

There is a touch of boldness in the air. Trading for Ribeiro was not wimpy. Not earth-shaking but a good move.

Ted, maybe, is finally tightening the screws on the Caps and on the Bullets. Based only on a couple of recent quotes in the media.

If the Caps *are* serious about winning the Stanley Cup, then July 1 seems like a big day. But I wouldn't compromise much. I'd aim for the big dogs (after extensive internal discussions): Parise, Suter, Jokenin (semi-big-dawg),

and I'd be looking to add violence and malice in Konopka, Asham, Souray?,

I wouldn't settle for lesser, passive guys with low PIMs. The Caps have been too easy to play against lately.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM
artilector

I'm pretty optimistic on Galiev, but wouldn't pencil him anywhere, of course.

"The Caps have been too easy to play against lately".. whaaat? Please, let's not go back to this BS again. Beating Boston showed that the Caps are just fine in that department.

Playoff hockey, like Oates IMO correctly noted, is all about denying opposition space, interfering with zone exits, stifling transition, clearing your zone quick. Physicality is a nice bonus, but I'd say 80% of that is having fast players with a high work-rate and good positioning. You want players strong enough to withstand playoff hittting (looking at you Green), but that's all you need.

Literally in none of the playoff series that the Caps have lost could you say that being dominated/worn out physically was a factor. Caps need players with higher speed & work-rate, and less clueless/clumsy defensemen.

Closed Thread