HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zach Parise - pending UFA Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Here is why that doesn't make sense.

1. The Pens just traded one of their best two way players in Jordan Staal. They got a good return that included Brandon Sutter, but it does not make the team better.

2. Pens also just loaded up the depth on D, having Simon Despres, Joe Morrow and Scott Harrington. Drafting Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maata in the 1st round this year, plus adding Brian Dumoulin in the Staal trade. While we need help on D, it was the way the D played in the playoffs that was the problem, not the skill. Orpik, Letang, Martin and Niskanen are good defensemen and can play better when playing a more structured, team defensive style.

3. They probably will add a defenseman, but it doesn't have to be a Suter, Garrison or Carle, it can be Bryan Allen as a veteran stop gap.

4. Despite what fans around the league (and some Pens fans) think about Fleury, he's a pretty good goalie, he's competitive and I think the Philly series made people forget that Fleury was one of the better goalies in the league last year, at least he was in my opinion. We needs help with the work load and needs motivation to stay on his game, Tomas Vokoun will help with both.
I think the Penguins could get Parise, but they would have to give up longterm flexibility to improve their roster later. They have 12mil in cap space, with 4 roster spots open. Assuming that Parise goes for around 7mil per season(likely going rate for him) the Penguins will have a grand total of 5 million to sign 3 players. Even if it is just for bottom 6 players that is a pretty tough. Malkin is also going to have to be resigned relatively soon, and the cap is going to go down with the new CBA.

And I'm not so sure anymore if MAF is really the answer at goalie anymore. Color me doubtful that he will remain a starter.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

According to our beat writer Russo, the Wild are willing to offer him upwards of $10 million per year if that's what it takes. Can't say I approve of that, it's pretty disgusting.

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...55701107392513

Old
06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You assume he'd top his career highs. Who says Crosby or Malkin make him break the barrier into a 100 point player?

I'm just saying you don't give that kind of contract to a player unless they've proven they can do it not on the basis of they could do it just because of Crosby or Malkin.
I can guarantee if Sid comes back in form, he makes Parise a 100 pt player. He's a significantly better hockey player than Neal. And Zach happens to play the game damn near identical to Sid.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but with an injury riddled team, Geno made Neal a ppg player. Just sayin'.

Old
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
According to our beat writer Russo, the Wild are willing to offer him upwards of $10 million per year if that's what it takes. Can't say I approve of that, it's pretty disgusting.

Yep. He's all yours if he wants anything close to that.

Old
Sh00terMcGavin
#FreeBeau

Quote:

Wow.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
I think the Penguins could get Parise, but they would have to give up longterm flexibility to improve their roster later. They have 12mil in cap space, with 4 roster spots open. Assuming that Parise goes for around 7mil per season(likely going rate for him) the Penguins will have a grand total of 5 million to sign 3 players. Even if it is just for bottom 6 players that is a pretty tough. Malkin is also going to have to be resigned relatively soon, and the cap is going to go down with the new CBA.

And I'm not so sure anymore if MAF is really the answer at goalie anymore. Color me doubtful that he will remain a starter.
Shero wouldn't have dumped Michalek for a 3rd round pick if he didn't intend to go after big names (Parise, Suter).

If he has to trade someone else on the roster to free up space, he will. Martin is the usual suspect here, but TK and even Kunitz/Orpik are possibilities if Shero has to. You're allowed to be over the cap limit until September if I recall correctly.

Speaking of Kunitz and Orpik, both of their contracts are up the year Malkin's is. That's a combined 7.5 mil of savings. Crosby's contract and overall speculation has led Pens fans to believe Malkin will not command a hefty raise.

As of yet, there has been no confirmation that the CBA talks will lead to reduced salary cap.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I can guarantee if Sid comes back in form, he makes Parise a 100 pt player. He's a significantly better hockey player than Neal. And Zach happens to play the game damn near identical to Sid.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but with an injury riddled team, Geno made Neal a ppg player. Just sayin'.
Yeah I'm sure Neal maturing had nothing to do with that. I mean, just give credit where it's due.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:57 PM
MadDevil

Quote:

I love Parise, but you're welcome to him for that kind of money. That's insane.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:00 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

That has to be posturing. If not, then good for the Wild. I like their team, market, and they've got some former Pens in Yeo and Fletcher.

I just don't see, when it really comes down to it, anyone offering over 8M for him on a long-term deal. I mean, how do you rationalize that when Sid just took 12 years at 8.7M.

Old
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
You assume he'd top his career highs. Who says Crosby or Malkin make him break the barrier into a 100 point player?

I'm just saying you don't give that kind of contract to a player unless they've proven they can do it not on the basis of they could do it just because of Crosby or Malkin.
I'd take that bet. Parise might not be a "superstar" in the sexy, traditional sense-but he is a fantastic all-around player that teams (such as the Pens) clearly covet, especially in a down year for FA's. IMO, a player like Crosby would make an already great player even better.

Old
mpp9

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure Neal maturing had nothing to do with that. I mean, just give credit where it's due.
He doesn't come close to a 40/40 season without Malkin. Neal is a sniper. He has yet to evolve into a player who can create offense on his own with regularity.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
No, give Malkin his due.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:

I'm with you on this.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
That has to be posturing. If not, then good for the Wild. I like their team, market, and they've got some former Pens in Yeo and Fletcher.

I just don't see, when it really comes down to it, anyone offering over 8M for him on a long-term deal. I mean, how do you rationalize that when Sid just took 12 years at 8.7M.
The only people the Wild have to rationalize anything to is themselves and their fanbase. A Minnesota born and bred stud is getting set to be a UFA and the Wild are going to offer him the moon. I'm not sure why so many people are shocked by this.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:04 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:

They'll have a harder time rationalizing to a majority of the fan base why they didn't get Minnesota hockey's golden boy. This is about more than winning games for the Wild.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:05 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
The Pens can't rationalize it but other teams simply don't care about what Sid got paid.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:06 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
The only people the Wild have to rationalize anything to is themselves and their fanbase. A Minnesota born and bred stud is getting set to be a UFA and the Wild are going to offer him the moon. I'm not sure why so many people are shocked by this.
Well, it appears they're offering them the moon and the sun if 10 years, 100M is accurate. I'm not shocked if they offer him 10 years, 80M.

And yes, I am bitter because that'll probably put us out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
The Pens can't rationalize it but other teams simply don't care about what Sid got paid.
Other teams don't care, but the fans will when/if they get a player that scores 70-80 points and causes them to not be able to sign other players or re-sign their own. That was my point. I really hope that Parise goes to MN if not Pittsburgh. He'd be great there.

Old
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
They'll have a harder time rationalizing to a majority of the fan base why they didn't get Minnesota hockey's golden boy. This is about more than winning games for the Wild.
Exactly. At the very least this is a great PR move by the Wild. If Parise is intent on signing elsewhere (say for "hockey" reasons), the team can say they did everything they could to sign him.

Old
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I love Parise, but you're welcome to him for that kind of money. That's insane.
I feel the same way. Love Parise but $10m a year for him is setting precedence I don't want to see for other FA's down the road.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Well, it appears they're offering them the moon and the sun if 10 years, 100M is accurate. I'm not shocked if they offer him 10 years, 80M.

And yes, I am bitter because that'll probably put us out
I'm not sure money is the only consideration here. The Pens would be a very attractive destination for Parise from a hockey standpoint.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:07 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:

Pure insanity

Old
06-30-2012, 07:09 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
Fair enough. I'm a Bills fan; I understand how that goes.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I'd take that bet. Parise might not be a "superstar" in the sexy, traditional sense-but he is a fantastic all-around player that teams (such as the Pens) clearly covet, especially in a down year for FA's. IMO, a player like Crosby would make an already great player even better.
If you're willing to accept the risk of overpaying and signing a guy who is three or four seasons removed from elite scoring who has never broken the 100 point barrier to that kind of contract because of a weak free agency then go right ahead. Same goes for if you're willing to accept the complications of keeping your team cap compliant with all of Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Parise, and Neal on your team.

Personally I'd rather spend that money on defensive help and wait to see how Fleury shakes out considering Fleury's performances since the Cup win and the defensive play of the team in general last post-season.

That's all I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He doesn't come close to a 40/40 season without Malkin. Neal is a sniper. He has yet to evolve into a player who can create offense on his own with regularity.
I bet he doesn't score 40 goals or put up 80 points, but I could definitely see him scoring 30 goals/70 points "on his own".
Quote:
No, give Malkin his due.
I do. I know he had a very positive impact on Neal's season. None of you seem to be giving Neal credit though considering you're all crediting the success of Neal to Malkin completely.

Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
I'm not sure money is the only consideration here. The Pens would be a very attractive destination for Parise from a hockey standpoint.
You're right, of course, but he'd be stupid to turn down 20M guaranteed to go home to play in a great hockey market, IMO. If I was a player I'd love to play in a place like Minny.

Old
Lim Ran

I think they might.

If Minnesota is offering $10m to Parise, I can only imagine they'd be alone in that.

By all means, he should take it. If money means more than winning. Which, let's be honest, when it's $2m+ more a year, would be pretty understandable to most.

There's also nothing really saying Minnesota can't be a winner in the future, but they're not looking good right now, and that contract would hamper things.

Either way, I genuinely hope my favourite team doesn't match a $10m offer for Parise. Just as far as making a point here. Because, again, I don't think anyone would.

Except maybe Burkie.

Closed Thread