HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Switching from senior to intermediate stick

Old
06-30-2012, 02:11 AM
Apoptosis

vCash: 500
Switching from senior to intermediate stick

A bit about myself:
5'8"
165 lb (pretty weak)
C/D level, play 1-2/week

Sticks used:
Easton S11 85 Iginla, liked it but snaped on a slapshot
Bauer X:40 77 p88, for some reason I dislike the balance, blade feel and kickpoint

I am considering getting down to an intermediate as I have a hard time flexing my last senior sticks (also due to technique) + I cut them down to 57" anyway.

Would the Eaton EQ50 65 flex (on clearance) would fit my needs ? My only concern is the traditional shaft dimension.

Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:38 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

You're having shaft problems?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Apoptosis

I have been told that size doesn't matter as long as you know how to use it.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Vuronov

I'm about 5'6"-7" 150lbs and not the strongest arms in the world and I switched from having always used sr stick sto int sticks and it's been a huge benefit to my shooting and passing. My feel for the puck and shot strength and elevation are much improved.

It hasn't suddenly turned me into Chara or Ovechkin but I do consistently get better shot velocity and feel like I'm using my stick and not fighting it.

I think it's worth a shot and I'd wager you'd like it.

Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Stickchecked

Isn't it the case that the more you cut the stick, the more the flex changes?

It seems if you want what the stick advertises, you need to get one as close to your ideal size as possible. Otherwise it's an unknown variable you're adding to the equation.

And honestly, senior, intermediate, makes no difference if the stick fits and gives you what you want.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:47 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Isn't it the case that the more you cut the stick, the more the flex changes?

It seems if you want what the stick advertises, you need to get one as close to your ideal size as possible. Otherwise it's an unknown variable you're adding to the equation.

And honestly, senior, intermediate, makes no difference if the stick fits and gives you what you want.
Huh?

OP: Definitely try intermediate if you feel the 77 flex was too stiff for you. Don't worry about balance, feel and kickpoint as you can choose which attributes you like among different sticks.

Why are you concerned about the traditional shaft dimension?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:55 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Huh?

OP: Definitely try intermediate if you feel the 77 flex was too stiff for you. Don't worry about balance, feel and kickpoint as you can choose which attributes you like among different sticks.

Why are you concerned about the traditional shaft dimension?
x2 I agree. I am 5'9'' and about 200 lbs not the strongest guy, but wish I had purchased an intermediate stick instead of a new senior one. The puck feel and my shot was a bit better the few times I have borrowed an intermediate stick from a friend.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I'd definitely go intermediate. I'm 200lbs 5-10 and I benefitted from switching down. I bought a 3 pack right away thinking I'd snap it in an instant but I'm still on the first. They're lighter and you can flex them pretty good. Plus, they're a lot cheaper.

Another thing, being 5-10, intermediates come in the perfect height; no cutting for me, just tape em up.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:59 AM
neksys

I'm the same height and 10 pounds heavier. I use intermediate sticks exclusively.

The nice thing is INT sticks tend to be a bit cheaper. Pick a decent one up on clearance and you can test it out pretty easily.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:06 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I'm 6ft 180lbs and use intermediates. Love the more flex for being able to get off snap shots quick.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

The switch from senior to intermediate sticks was the best move I've made.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 50
For your size definitely go intermediate.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Apoptosis

Thanks everyone for the advice, I was afraid to buy a noodle.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Im 5'9-5'10 and around 130 pds ( :S ) and I use a senior stick and I dont cut it down. I have to say that I have one of the better shots. All about the technique but I'd reccomend the senior because in my point of view it works the best.

BTW, please dont call me skinny cause I already know I am. Trying to gain muscele and little fat this summer at the gym so maybe I will see improvements in how I play.

EDIT: I double checked to make sure my stick is a senior and I am 99% sure it is. 87 flex on a One95 and almost as tall as I am. Maybe I should try out an intermediate for my next stick.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
Im 5'9-5'10 and around 130 pds ( :S ) and I use a senior stick and I dont cut it down. I have to say that I have one of the better shots. All about the technique but I'd reccomend the senior because in my point of view it works the best.

BTW, please dont call me skinny cause I already know I am. Trying to gain muscele and little fat this summer at the gym so maybe I will see improvements in how I play.

EDIT: I double checked to make sure my stick is a senior and I am 99% sure it is. 87 flex on a One95 and almost as tall as I am. Maybe I should try out an intermediate for my next stick.
We're not PHEW lol, don't worry bud.

I find that while I'm by no means a particularly strong player, I cannot use intermediates because the shaft size is too small for my hands, hence 70-77 flex SR for me. Another thing to consider.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Apoptosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I find that while I'm by no means a particularly strong player, I cannot use intermediates because the shaft size is too small for my hands, hence 70-77 flex SR for me. Another thing to consider.
I'll put a Tacki-Mac grip if I have this issue. I just wish I was a jock somedays.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoptosis View Post
A bit about myself:
5'8"
165 lb (pretty weak)
C/D level, play 1-2/week
How are you 5'8", 165 lbs and weak? I'm exactly the same and I don't consider myself weak at all. I'm not jacked by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm far from weak. Where is the bulk of your mass, lower body, upper body? I have a very strong lower body, so it works out great for hockey. Just curious.

Anyway, I don't see a huge difference between using an 80-85 flex senior stick vs. using a 75 or so intermediate. I'd probably just snap the 75 flex much quicker. I also prefer sticks that are a bit longer. Helps me reach pucks since I'm so short, but that's just my preference.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Apoptosis

Bulk of my strengh is definitely in my lower body, since I can skate and squat pretty hard.

I believe 65 flex will help learn the techique to load my stick, as it is pretty much non existing right now (I have only been plaing hockey for 2 years).

Old
07-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Vuronov

I know that one of the major differences for me was that the intermediate stick was shorter to begin with at a given flex rating than the senior, and thus I had to cut it must less to get the length that I wanted, and the result was a stick with a smaller flex.

My intermediate stick is a 65 flex that I only needed to cut an inch or so and was left with a flex of 70 (the stick had lines indicating the flex when cut to such a length) whereas with a senior stick, being longer to begin with and slightly higher flex, I had to cut much more to get a length that was comfortable for me, and by that point a 85 flex stick is closer to maybe 95 more.

Intermediate is worth a try and I know I will never go back to senior sticks.

Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm the same specs you listed but 40 pounds heavier (ugh). I have used intermediates exclusively the last few years. So much better. And cheaper.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Wooty

I am 5'8" and have used intermediates and normal sticks cut down. I have found some success with both of them but they take getting used to. Perhaps I did not concentrate enough on taking advantage of the intermediate wippiness to fully appreciate it though.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:38 AM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I'm 5' 7" and could never flex my senior stick. Luckily I found a Bauer Supreme One95 intermediate stick at a Play It Again Sports for $14.00. Best purchase ever.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoptosis View Post
I have been told that size doesn't matter as long as you know how to use it.
they lied

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I'm a 5'6 or 5'7 forward and cut my stick almost to my collarbone, I can bend a 90 flex stick but I switched to intermediate and loved it only for snappers/wristers. It's like no effort at all to take quick release shots.

My one-timers suffered though.. with the int stick I would have to lower my grip for one timers and since I often take one timers, I still keep my stiffer stick on the bench.

But there is more plus in using an int stick (for me at least), it fits my smaller hands better. It is lighter and I can feel the puck a lot better.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote