HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan Tested Free Agency, Got Back on His Horse and Stayed!

Old
06-29-2012, 12:16 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Doan making an announcement would give everyone a more concrete idea of what is happening than jst about anything bettman, daly or Jamison could say.

If a contract for anything longer than a year is announced, I would be pretty darn confident in them staying.

But if a contract with any other team came out of it, That would be a pretty telling bad sign. Unless, of course, it were a bryzgalov style contract with huge sums.

I find it funny that my iPad actually autocorrected "bryz" to the full name. Have I really typed it so often?

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:50 PM

Doan likely gets a 4 year deal. It's weird though, it's almost as if Maloney has been able to acquire players with contracts but not give out those contracts himself. Other than Hanzal & Yandle, what contracts has he given out 3+ years in the past 3 years since the ownership mess? I get the feeling there is some limit there, otherwise Doan just signs with us now to a 4 year deal, and if the team moves he has a gentleman's agreement to get traded where he wants. That hasn't happened so it only makes sense that there is something preventing it.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Other than Hanzal & Yandle, what contracts has he given out 3+ years in the past 3 years since the ownership mess?
Other than Hanzal and Yandle, who has deserved one? Michalek and Bryzgalov are the only two big names the Coyotes lost. In Michalek's case, he went for stability, and in Bryzgalov's case, he went for a deal the Coyotes would have been insane to offer in the first place.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Doan likely gets a 4 year deal. It's weird though, it's almost as if Maloney has been able to acquire players with contracts but not give out those contracts himself. Other than Hanzal & Yandle, what contracts has he given out 3+ years in the past 3 years since the ownership mess? I get the feeling there is some limit there, otherwise Doan just signs with us now to a 4 year deal, and if the team moves he has a gentleman's agreement to get traded where he wants. That hasn't happened so it only makes sense that there is something preventing it.
The thing preventing it is that is a terrible deal for Doan.

Think about that. Say he accepts a four year deal with us worth sixteen million. We lose Whitney, Doan has a couple of injuries, the team struggles, he ends up with 57gp 9g 13a 22pts. He's 36 years old, coming off a bad season, and GMs are skeptical that he may have gotten old fast. His cap hit is 4mil for three more years. None of Vancouver, San Jose, or Los Angeles want to touch him with that contract. They know full well that if the team relocates to QC he can sue for UFA as a clause in his contract (hypothetical of course). There are no takers so it's time to become UFA again. He sues for UFA and wins. Now Vancouver, San Jose and Los Angeles will only go one or two years for two or three million bucks. They've got him over a barrel. They know he won't go far from home and if he wants a shot at a cup he'll have to sign with them.

His other option is to go ahead and sign with one of those teams next week and get a garanteed three or four year deal for four or five million a year.

Signing a contract with this organization before July first is a huge risk Shane Doan.

06-29-2012, 03:19 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The thing preventing it is that is a terrible deal for Doan.

Think about that. Say he accepts a four year deal with us worth sixteen million. We lose Whitney, Doan has a couple of injuries, the team struggles, he ends up with 57gp 9g 13a 22pts. He's 36 years old, coming off a bad season, and GMs are skeptical that he may have gotten old fast. His cap hit is 4mil for three more years. None of Vancouver, San Jose, or Los Angeles want to touch him with that contract. They know full well that if the team relocates to QC he can sue for UFA as a clause in his contract (hypothetical of course). There are no takers so it's time to become UFA again. He sues for UFA and wins. Now Vancouver, San Jose and Los Angeles will only go one or two years for two or three million bucks. They've got him over a barrel. They know he won't go far from home and if he wants a shot at a cup he'll have to sign with them.

His other option is to go ahead and sign with one of those teams next week and get a garanteed three or four year deal for four or five million a year.

Signing a contract with this organization before July first is a huge risk Shane Doan.
Eh, I don't know if that follows. For one thing, it's by no means a given that he could sue for free agent status. Is there any precedent for that?

Plus, if he's a free agent, he can sign with any team he wants. That's a good thing for Doan, but it's a bad thing for every team that isn't his top choice. What if Vancouver wants him, but San Jose is his first choice? Vancouver would be more than happy to overpay him by a million dollars as opposed to not having him at all.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Ryan Smyth has collected a few warts the last couple of years and you don't see Canucks fans wishing for him. If Doan's flawless image takes a hit, it could cost him a lot of money.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Morris. Though he hasn't been afraid to trade for guys on larger contracts with a couple years left.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Ryan Smyth has collected a few warts the last couple of years and you don't see Canucks fans wishing for him. If Doan's flawless image takes a hit, it could cost him a lot of money.
I think that's more a result of Smythe being on 4 different teams in the past 4 seasons than his actual production. No matter what happens I don't see Doan hopping from place to place.

You lay out the worst case scenario and while it's possible, it's not necessarily likely. Things could just as easily go well for him. If anything the more likely scenario is somewhere in the middle but if he signs before July 1 I would think he feels the odds are in his favor. Either way let's not forget while I'm sure money is important to him, Doan has been making millions of dollars for years now, he should have plenty flexibility in making his decision.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

If there's a lockout this year, at least it could buy GJ more time.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:41 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
What team in the league is Doan a third line wing on?
he did on the Coyotes... when he double shifts!

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Apparently, the Flames are going to pursue him, Jagr, and Semin really hard. Jesus Christ, Calgary is becoming the Canadian Islanders in the sense that everybody thinks it's adorable when they pursue names way above their caliber.

Old
06-30-2012, 04:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It's still June. Those rumors have to be bogus. If Feaster mentions Doan, Semin, or Jagr, that's tampering. Nobody in that front office is naming specific names outside of the confines of the front office. Rumors are ********.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if some teams get away with tampering. Lots of guys sign pretty darn quick on July 1.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:22 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Not sure if this means anything...

Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan
Press release from Lagardère Unlimited says Shane Doan has taken on Terry Bross as his agent.

Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan
Doan is their first NHL client. His previous agent was J.P. Barry, who also represents Ray Whitney.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

So much for that talk GJ claims he will have with Doan.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
So much for that talk GJ claims he will have with Doan.
Maybe they had dinner last night. Maybe lunch today. Who knows?

Old
06-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

After seeing Doan behind the scenes for a few seasons and carefully watching what he's done in public since I moved to Phoenix, he's more than earned the right to do whatever he wants. From talking to the media in the offseason about the ownership crap going on (when he didn't have to) to being the face and identity of the franchise during the season, he's huge piece of the Coyotes present and Future.

Sure, there's a spot already reserved in the rafters at the Job for his number. That much is a given right now. However, his NHL legacy is still being written and he gets to choose how he can best write the final chapters of his career starting tomorrow.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow for some Coyotes fans but deep down inside you all know he more than deserves to go after a cup (or sign elsewhere) if he wants.

He's a rare breed of class off the ice and a warrior on the ice along with the Igilna's, and Yzerman's of the world. His work ethic is second to none and he can be a huge addition to any team needing a top six forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Oh, definitely higher than that. No doubt he would get at least $4M per year on the market.
More. Much, much more. He's got a lot left in the proverbial tank.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:40 PM
doaner

When was that meeting going to take place?

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
When was that meeting going to take place?
Post 66.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:00 PM
doaner

Quote:
Post 66.
Yeah. Saw that after posting. That really stinks!

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Paul Gaustad just got four years, thirteen million. He's a career fourth line player.

Doan and Whitney are gonna get PAID.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:53 PM
hockey_nut

Here's some big Doan news... he won't sign with Coyotes or anyone until July 8 at the earliest until he knows what the ownership situation looks like.

From TFP:

Quote:
owever, Doan isn't itching to leave the organization and "wants to give the Coyotes every opportunity" to sign him, his agent, Terry Bross, told TFP Saturday evening.

Speaking to TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta, Bross indicated the earliest his client would sign a contract -- with the Coyotes or another club -- would presumably be July 8, the date in which the Coyotes will have a clearer picture as to whether or not they'll be staying in Arizona.

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I don't buy the "go somewhere for a shot at the cup". Is it just me or were we in the final four? I didnt just imagine that, did I? If he moves on, of course he will choose a contender, but it will be for stability and thats it. Stability.

And, yeah, he totally deserves it. Even if he signs a contract three hours into free agency I won't hold it against him.
Me neither, he has just as good a chance to win the cup here as anywhere else, particularly if Whitney decides to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
Here's some big Doan news... he won't sign with Coyotes or anyone until July 8 at the earliest until he knows what the ownership situation looks like.

From TFP:
I'm glad Doan went this route, it certainly seems the wisest thing to do on his part.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What a guy. Seriously, what an awesome dude.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:18 PM
drgregg

Many around these boards were saying that this would Jamison's acid test. If Doan met with him and said he was signing elsewhere, Jamison was a sham et al. The corollary of this being Jamison convinced him that he was ready to step in in fairly short order should Cobb and Water Bill Guy fail in their signature gathering. I have a feeling that important piece may get lost in this. Just like all of the imaginary deadlines and that have happenned, with the team still being here. Doan is a rare human being where the more you learn about him, the more his legend grows rather then diminishes.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote