HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Zach Parise - pending UFA Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 06:11 PM
MNState0fHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm not sure money is the only consideration here. The Pens would be a very attractive destination for Parise from a hockey standpoint.
Exactly. The Pens got Sid to take less. Maybe they can convince Zach to.

I am still impressed they got Sid to take what he did.

Props to your front office.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Garbage Goal

From a Wild standpoint compared to a Pens standpoint I'd be more comfortable giving 10 mil a year to him on a team that lacks any major contracts or superstar players that's also offensively inept (therefore needing Parise, not to mention he's a home-town boy) rather then spending 8 mil a year to bolster an already elite offense on a defensively weak and shaky goaltending team loaded with superstars and major contracts.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:14 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Fair enough. I'm a Bills fan; I understand how that goes.
I'm just afraid it's going to be a Joe Mauer situation all over again

Old
06-30-2012, 06:15 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
I think they might.

If Minnesota is offering $10m to Parise, I can only imagine they'd be alone in that.

By all means, he should take it. If money means more than winning. Which, let's be honest, when it's $2m+ more a year, would be pretty understandable to most.

There's also nothing really saying Minnesota can't be a winner in the future, but they're not looking good right now, and that contract would hamper things.

Either way, I genuinely hope my favourite team doesn't match a $10m offer for Parise. Just as far as making a point here. Because, again, I don't think anyone would.

Except maybe Burkie.
Burke has already said he's not interested in Parise because he's too small and he's sick of small players in general here in Toronto. Said he's looking for size.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:16 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
I'm just afraid it's going to be a Joe Mauer situation all over again
Oversigning a guy to appease the fanbase to prove that you're committed to building a winner? Yeah, been there for that one too many times

Old
06-30-2012, 06:17 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Oversigning a guy to appease the fanbase to prove that you're committed to building a winner? Yeah, been there for that one too many times
Glad someone understands my trepidation

Old
06-30-2012, 06:18 PM
RehnX

I'm really starting to get sick of reading "But da pens won't b able to sign Malkin!1!1!!1".

Malkin, Evgeni "Geno" Malkin. Has said "I shouldn't make more money than Sid", which is why when the front office gave him and Sid blank contracts, fully prepared to offer max term, Sid took 8.7 million as to not handcuff the team, and Malkin took that so he would stay true to his word.

Fast forward to next year when Malkin is a Free Agent. His 8.7 million comes off the books and he is asked how much he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. When he says "8.7 million", any player who is signed between now and then is irrelevant. Malkins contract coming off the books will cover Malkins contract.

The ONLY player of any concern to resign is Letang, and based on contracts like Karlsson's, that is a minor concern.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:19 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Any time a player looks at signing a deal as large as the Wild are supposedly offering they have to look at the repercussions it will have long term. 10 mill per is going to cut into the cap and keep Parise from moving down the road if he desires to do so.

And for a talent like Parise, the money is always going to be there.

Old
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

If Zach signs that kind of deal in Minnesota, there's going to be a lot of pressure on him. Wonder if some Devils fans could chime in with their analysis on whether or not they think Zach would be fine with dealing with that or he'd prefer to be more low key.

The most money to go home is enticing but there's definitely cons to taking that kind of deal also. Eating up a 7th of your entire cap is going to have all eyes on you on that team. At least with NJ, Pit, or Detroit he can blend in a bit.

Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
From a Wild standpoint compared to a Pens standpoint I'd be more comfortable giving 10 mil a year to him on a team that lacks any major contracts or superstar players that's also offensively inept (therefore needing Parise, not to mention he's a home-town boy) rather then spending 8 mil a year to bolster an already elite offense on a defensively weak and shaky goaltending team loaded with superstars and major contracts.
Aren't you a fan of the team with equally horrific defense with a worse goaltender that's going hard after Nash?

Old
06-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Prattio

I seriously dont get why Min fans care so much that hes from there. Wouldnt you rather build a good team then give a 70-80pt player the highest paid contract in the NHL? Not worth 10 mil. That would handicap any team he signs with at that price.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Claypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prattio View Post
I seriously dont get why Min fans care so much that hes from there. Wouldnt you rather build a good team then give a 70-80pt player the highest paid contract in the NHL? Not worth 10 mil. That would handicap any team he signs with at that price.
At the end of the day you need to start spending money or get better at drafting. If I'm a Wild fan, I don't care how much Parise makes, just as long as he suits up for the team next year.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Aren't you a fan of the team with equally horrific defense with a worse goaltender that's going hard after Nash?
...And what does that have to do with what I said? Does it somehow make what I said less valid? I don't run Flyers management or impact their decisions. So whatever the Flyers organization does doesn't dictate my opinion.

Our defense was horrific last season and I think it's been proven that Bryz isn't "clearly" a worse goalie then Fleury. They were both horrible last playoffs though.

W/e, the Flyers have nothing to do with what I said so your post is moot. For the record, I wouldn't go after Nash because of how high his cost is. I'd rather make a big push for Suter or, even via trade, another defender. That's where our needs are at and you can tell so just by looking at the team on paper. We're loaded at forward and center specifically with an excess of young talent. Meanwhile our defense is led by an aging number one d-man making over 6 mil per and we just lost arguably our best offensive d-man. So, yeah.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 06-30-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old
06-30-2012, 06:28 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Hardcore fans dont care where he's from, they just care that he would fill a major need on the team.
The reason Leipold would be willing to overpay significantly is because the Parise name would attract alot of casual fans.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:32 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Many of us don't care as much as others, and would prefer that they stick to the plan. Offer him a reasonable contract and move on if he declines. But there is a lot of frustration building up within the fan base (4 straight years of missing the playoffs will do that). Some people seem more focused on winning now.

As for why it's a big deal that he's from here to some...

We have generally always been a very provincial hockey market. Kids generally grow playing in a community-based youth system instead of prep or Tier I hockey. Our hockey world revolves around our state high school tournament. And we have a strong in-state college hockey tradition. Remember, Gopher hockey only recruited in-state for 25+ years. They refused to go out of state for players.

All of this has produced a very community-loyal, but provincial, hockey culture. There are some perks though. Hockey in Minnesota has grown faster than anywhere else in the country, and Minnesota kids seldomly decommit from their college hockey commitments (probably only important to us college puck fans). It is even rarer to see a Gopher commit do so.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Bullrun

For Minny:

PMB will be coming off soon 4.25mil
Backstrom (6mil) will be replaced by Harding (2mil) and/or Hackett (entry level)

Meanwhile, the 4-5 touted forward prospects will all be on entry level deals over the next 3 years, after which, Heatley (7.5mil) expires...

the wild can make 10mil/yr work capwise considering the short-term influx of entry level players

after 3-4 years the cap should go up as well (if business is good)

and from a business standpoint, Parise will be a big draw

Old
06-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Flamesfan102

Z.Parise will end up in one of these 3 places - DET, PIT, or MIN

Old
06-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Lim Ran

vCash: 50
Z.Parise will end up in 1 places if he's offered 10m/year by MIN.

MIN.

He'd be insane not to take it, any any contending team would be insane to give him 10m/year.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:49 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
Z.Parise will end up in 1 places if he's offered 10m/year by MIN.

MIN.

He'd be insane not to take it, any any contending team would be insane to give him 10m/year.
Maybe Parise doesn't want to play where he's from? Maybe he's driven by other reasons beyond just money?

Old
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm not sure money is the only consideration here. The Pens would be a very attractive destination for Parise from a hockey standpoint.
I'm not too sure the Pens will be very attractive honestly

Parise should know he would add little to the Pens. Ya he would get a great boost in scoring but the team is already a scoring machine with or without Zach

Signing Zach mean money to sign any more significant roster player, not just this year but for the foreseeable future, will be dried up

The "great" depth some of the posters are talking about regarding Pens defense are mostly all prospects. For us, the Kings has (had) great defense prospect depth but it was veteran UFA signing like Scuderi and Mitchell that really solidify the defense. And its the veteran guys like Scuderi that the Pens were missing, sadly

If I'm Shero then I don't think i'm taking more than a sniff at Parise. But I could see Crosby being adamant about the team going after his buddy and told Shero before he agreed to that extension. Which in this case would handcuff Shero, because what Crosby wants, Crosby gets

Old
06-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
I'm not too sure the Pens will be very attractive honestly

Parise should know he would add little to the Pens. Ya he would get a great boost in scoring but the team is already a scoring machine with or without Zach

Signing Zach mean money to sign any more significant roster player, not just this year but for the foreseeable future, will be dried up

The "great" depth some of the posters are talking about regarding Pens defense are mostly all prospects. For us, the Kings has (had) great defense prospect depth but it was veteran UFA signing like Scuderi and Mitchell that really solidify the defense. And its the veteran guys like Scuderi that the Pens were missing, sadly

If I'm Shero then I don't think i'm taking more than a sniff at Parise. But I could see Crosby being adamant about the team going after his buddy and told Shero before he agreed to that extension. Which in this case would handcuff Shero, because what Crosby wants, Crosby gets
Well said.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:54 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan102 View Post
Z.Parise will end up in one of these 3 places - DET, PIT, or MIN
If the reported offers are true? It's a 2 horse race
Pittsburgh for the best chance to win now or
Minnesota to get paid

I dont see detroit being able to match either

Old
06-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Claypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
If the reported offers are true? It's a 2 horse race
Pittsburgh for the best chance to win now or
Minnesota to get paid

I dont see detroit being able to match either
Detroit has more cap space than either of those teams. They're also set up to win now AND later.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:58 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
I'm not even a Sid fan but I have a feeling he signs at $8.7M/per either way. Dude just wants to win and he knows by signing for what he did, he leaves the window open every season for his team to make a run at the UFA flavour of the moment.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Detroit has more cap space than either of those teams. They're also set up to win now AND later.
How are they set up to win later? They're barely even set up to win now. They don't have a good prospect pool, their two best players are aging (Datsyuk is 33, Zetterberg is 31), Franzen is 32, Kronwall is 31, Lidstrom just retired, and the only young gun star on their team currently that I can think to build around is Howard and he's not even that young for an NHL player.

Closed Thread