HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CGY Acquires Dennis Wideman, signs for 5 years @5.2 mill per year (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
At what point does it take to get through the thick skulls of HF boards that you do not need to blow up a team to rebuild . You can gradually add youth while remaining competitive.
Yup, I'm a Rangers fan and I know first hand what rebuilding is while competing for the playoffs. You surround your team with young players, what Calgary is doing is signing marginal talent for more than they are worth.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Pointteen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yup, I'm a Rangers fan and I know first hand what rebuilding is while competing for the playoffs. You surround your team with young players, what Calgary is doing is signing marginal talent for more than they are worth.
A lot of the people giving the Flames hell for that are Oilers fans. We watched the Oilers flounder and compete for 8th with no improvement for the better part of a decade. We have an awful experience to relate to. We also want the Flames fans to suffer. I mean that in the nicest way.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Both strategies (giving Feaster a little too much credit here) can leave you in a marginal rut of mediocrity. 'Blowing it up' can result in a decade wandering of the desert like a CBJ or FLA, without a little luck at the top end of the draft like PIT or CHI. Same goes for the re-tooling of the NYR vs CGY. If we hit on a few more prospects and pulled off a McDonagh heist instead of acquiring Matt Stajan life could have been different right now. Now we're the perennial 9th place team and life sucks.

But the fact is nothing is guaranteed and attempting to stay afloat and keep butts in the seats isn't as crazy as Hockey's Future makes it out to be. I'd rather be a fringe team looking to hit it big with a few prospects than a crappy team looking to do the same thing for the next 10 years. Plus I think this crappy organization is run from the owners box, where a few more wins=a few more $$$. And why blow it up when your management would just screw it up anyways?

Old
06-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Roof Daddy

As an Oil fan, I wanted Wideman if we struck out on Schultz..... But not at those dollars or term. About a million more per year than he is worth. Also, the fact the contract is backloaded with a NMC means he is as untradeable as it gets. Maybe he lives up to the deal, but I have my doubts.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Dominate Kesler

Contract is brutal, I have a feeling this contract will bite them back in the future even though it shouldn't have that of an big effect right now.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:14 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
Contract is brutal, I have a feeling this contract will bite them back in the future even though it shouldn't have that of an big effect right now.
How in 2 years we have 18 million committed to the cap and as HF loves to point out our star players will be old. If anything this help us reach the cap floor than.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:57 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Gaustad just got 3.25 million a year. A useful player, but a guy who has only topped 30 points twice in his career. By sunday, this contract wont look too bad.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:15 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
I heard his No-Movement Clause has less to do with trades and more to do with his playstyle
Apologies for the older less funny joke, but the NMC was at the request of the other 29 teams.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:16 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
There's re-building and re-tooling, Flames are trying to re-tool.
They're bringing back almost the exact same roster they had last year. That's retooling?

They have the 3rd highest payroll in the league right now, with a roster that looks like it will give them a good chance at 9th-12th in the West.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Caged Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
They're bringing back almost the exact same roster they had last year. That's retooling?

They have the 3rd highest payroll in the league right now, with a roster that looks like it will give them a good chance at 9th-12th in the West.
From the draft last year

Out
Langkow
Hagman
Kotalik
Regehr
Moss
Jokinen
Bourque
Pardy
Kostopolous
Hannan (in then out)
Karlsson (won't be the backup)

In

Butler
Wideman
Comeau
Stempniak
Horak
Baertschi
Aliu
Cervenka
Cammalleri
2nd line RW yet to be determined
Irving

That's a decent start at re-tooling. I suppose though by your definition of retooling means get rid of Kipper, Iginla, Tanguay etc.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

This makes signing Karlsson long-term at 6.5M per annum look pretty good.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:00 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
This makes signing Karlsson long-term at 6.5M per annum look pretty good.
Not really.

RFA Years vs UFA years.

Norris Trophy defender vs All star defender.

Karlsson's contract looked good regardless of any other contract around the league.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Devonator

As it stands right now, this is the worse free agent signing of this season....we will see what happens tomorrow though.....

But in the meantime...congrats Calgary...continue spinning your wheels and heading for that coveted 12-9 spot...

Old
06-30-2012, 09:26 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
As it stands right now, this is the worse free agent signing of this season....we will see what happens tomorrow though.....

But in the meantime...congrats Calgary...continue spinning your wheels and heading for that coveted 12-9 spot...
Isn't he the only player to change teams so far so by default he is the worst and the best?

Old
06-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Paralyzer008

Calgary finally gets a true PP quarterback, who is pricey but fits nicely. I bet this means Bouwmeester is a goner.

Didn't seem like Washington was too keen on keeping Wideman, and they got a solid 5th rounder for a UFA's rights.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:51 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
How in 2 years we have 18 million committed to the cap and as HF loves to point out our star players will be old. If anything this help us reach the cap floor than.
With no one to play when Iginla and Kipper are gone.

We are looking at a lot of awful in the future.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:00 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
With no one to play when Iginla and Kipper are gone.

We are looking at a lot of awful in the future.
People want us to rebuild so this is the future regardless.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
TheMedicineMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Yeah it is actually. Bring in a few guys that can help out. Get rid of some of the people that weren't working. It's the very definition of re-tooling.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:15 AM
thaman8765678

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
So a right handed shooting powerplay quarterback is not what we need? Did you pay ANY attention to our PP last season?

As I said in the previous thread, if you don't like what the Flames are doing, feel free to cheer for another team.
You know what, people like you are getting sickening to listen to. If some Flames fans are no longer drinking the kool-aid after missing the playoffs 3 years in a row they have the right to bash management. It doesn't mean he should cheer for another team it means he has a different opinion than you. This is the reason so many Flames fans get pegged as delusional and whiners when people bash Feaster because people like you can't accept that you can cheer for a team AND disagree with moves they are doing. I also hold the same viewpoint and have been a fan for twenty years now so you can shut up with your little comments on being "a real fan".

And no, one powerplay quarterback is not going to be the difference between 9th place and 1st place and if you seriously think that you are delusional.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:42 AM
skipole
Professional Cynic

Problem with the Wideman deal has nothing to do with the money and term... both are high, but surely in line with what Garrison / Suter / Carle will get over the summer.

The problem with Wideman's contract, IMO, is two-fold... one, it indicates the Flames will not make a fundamental shift to move aging talent (ie. Kipper and Iginla) for packages of younger prospects and picks. Secondly, it includes a full NMC, which adds to their already sizable list of immovable players and further destroys hope for full rebuilds in the next 2-4 years.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I like it..

That is all, happy he's here.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:44 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipole View Post
Problem with the Wideman deal has nothing to do with the money and term... both are high, but surely in line with what Garrison / Suter / Carle will get over the summer.

The problem with Wideman's contract, IMO, is two-fold... one, it indicates the Flames will not make a fundamental shift to move aging talent (ie. Kipper and Iginla) for packages of younger prospects and picks. Secondly, it includes a full NMC, which adds to their already sizable list of immovable players and further destroys hope for full rebuilds in the next 2-4 years.
That was never the intention in the first place.

I can understand that viewpoint, but it is not the only solution. Calgary has already begun the process of building throughout the draft (yes, it can be done without a lottery pick) seeing as Feaster has already drafted the same amount of talent in the first two rounds of the draft (5 times) as Darryl did in his last five years as general manager here.

"Retooling" is a process that is comparable to rebuilding. They both take time, and don't happen over night. Management clearly believes that Iginla and Kiprusoff have more in the tank than the majority of you do, and until they significantly regress it allows us the time to continually add to and develop our prospect pool. In addition to that we still have a relatively strong supporting cast in Cammalleri, Glencross, Wideman, Giordano and Bouwmeester who are all under the age of 30 years old.

Again, I understand the criticism's but I truly believe it has gotten out of hand on this site. Time will tell.

It may be a while before Calgary becomes a true contender again, but the same could be said if they were to completely burn down their foundation, and hope to potentially draft and develop well enough to compete 6-8 years down the road. Everyone points to Edmonton and says that is the proper way to turn a franchise around, but as bad as they were...they were still VERY lucky to have the cards fall as they did. Drafting 1st overall for three straight seasons is quite frankly not an easy thing to accomplish and a ton of luck went into building the nucleus in which they have in place today.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Abraham85

He's no Jeff Finger.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:31 AM
RogerRoeper*

This is just a horrible contract. Why was he worth 5.2 million per?

Old
07-01-2012, 09:44 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This is just a horrible contract. Why was he worth 5.2 million per?
Unrestricted Free Agency. Or are you new to the whole concept of FA?

Closed Thread