HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr signs with Dallas; 1 year, $4.5M (post #253)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2012, 03:53 PM
  #201
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Parise had 69 points in 82 games and Jagr had 62 points in 81 games (including playoffs).

Not much of a difference

I keep saying he's the best bargain out there. His cap hit is small enough that he doesn't restrict you from landing another big target he is looking for a one-year deal requiring no long-term commitment. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:25 PM
  #202
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I keep saying he's the best bargain out there. His cap hit is small enough that he doesn't restrict you from landing another big target he is looking for a one-year deal requiring no long-term commitment. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I would like to have him back for another year. A you point out, it also frees up cap space next year since it is a one year deal. I don't want Nash or Ryan because I don't want to have to trade what it will take to get them. While Ryan and Nash are both better than Jagr, I would rather wait and see the options at the trade deadline and also leave cap room to resign our own players when it comes time for that.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:11 PM
  #203
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Parise had 69 points in 82 games and Jagr had 62 points in 81 games (including playoffs).

Not much of a difference
He also only plays half of the ice.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
  #204
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He also only plays half of the ice.


not sure if serious

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
  #205
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
If they don't sign Jagr, they are obviously going to sign somebody on the wing that can play top 6 minutes. Jagr takes minutes away from the younger players on the flyers and I think Voracek would do better than Jagr at this point anyway if he was given top line minutes.


Theres no reason to expect he doesn't have injury problems this year either. Injuries like the one he had last year aren't uncommon for players his age. I'm not saying I don't want Jagr next year if the price is right. I think he's a good guy for the younger players to look up to. I just don't think that he is going to be worth whatever kind of contract he ends up signing.
So jagr takes up top-six minutes, so we dont need him.

BUT we need to sign someone who can play top 6 minutes...

You won't find a better bargain than Jagr-- and while he could get hurt, its not a guarantee he will be injured come playoffs.


Think of it this way: if he gets hurt, then we can give our young guys those minutes

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:29 PM
  #206
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post


not sure if serious
What i'm sure she means is Jagr doesn't play well in his own zone. Which makes her right. You can't even compare him to Parise at this point in their careers. Parise is better. He plays in all three zones. So i'm not sure if your post is serious.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:31 PM
  #207
bauer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Parise had 69 points in 82 games and Jagr had 62 points in 81 games (including playoffs).

Not much of a difference
i think a better stat would be..

first 3 months of the season.. 32GP 12G 19A 31P

last 3 months of the season.. 41GP 7G 16A 23P

and he was invisible in the playoffs. it's clear he completely ran out of gas halfway through the season, and he's another year older now, the same thing would probably happen again. i don't see him having an injury-free year at this stage of his career either. it just isn't happening.

that said, i wouldn't hate having him back at 2M in a reduced role, but word is he won't accept that. he wants top 6 minutes. i'd rather see this team go after someone like Doan instead. at least then we'd get some added grit mixed in with the scoring.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:31 PM
  #208
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
What i'm sure she means is Jagr doesn't play well in his own zone. Which makes her right. You can't even compare him to Parise at this point in their careers. Parise is better. He plays in all three zones. So i'm not sure if your post is serious.
Thank you!

And this is precisely the problem we had with the Devils this playoffs. Too many 1 way players, not enough 2 way players.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:50 PM
  #209
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
What i'm sure she means is Jagr doesn't play well in his own zone. Which makes her right. You can't even compare him to Parise at this point in their careers. Parise is better. He plays in all three zones. So i'm not sure if your post is serious.
umm i didnt compare him to parise, but i can name about 6 guys of our top 12 worse than jagr at defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIi5rpjd4sw

I hate when people stereotype guys like Jagr and Malkin for not playing defense. Jagr poke checks like a fiend, and hooks and slashes a ton (and gets away with it too! )

If you actually watch him play, you know that reach of his is awesome on defense.

...Matt Read on the other hand

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:53 PM
  #210
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
umm i didnt compare him to parise, but i can name about 6 guys of our top 12 worse than jagr at defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIi5rpjd4sw

I hate when people stereotype guys like Jagr and Malkin for not playing defense. Jagr poke checks like a fiend, and hooks and slashes a ton (and gets away with it too! )

If you actually watch him play, you know that reach of his is awesome on defense.

...Matt Read on the other hand
Its not even worth going back and forth. Jagr isn't a two way player. Never was. The fact you think Matt Read isn't a good defensive player tells me all i need to know.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:02 PM
  #211
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Its not even worth going back and forth. Jagr isn't a two way player. Never was. The fact you think Matt Read isn't a good defensive player tells me all i need to know.
matt read was our worst defensive forward last year.

I'd go:
Read
Briere
Wellwood
JVR
Simmonds
Voracek
Jagr
Hartnell
Schenn
Giroux
Talbot
Couturier

from last year (worst to best)

unlike many on here, I don't judge defensive ability entirely on +/-

I actually watch them play as well as taking position, line mates, and opposition into account.

Matt Read is awful at defense. He plays against poor opposition, and often was out of place and unaware of what was happening defensively. He falls victim to 'Watching the play' too often. He's a rookie though, so maybe he will improve?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:07 PM
  #212
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
matt read was our worst defensive forward last year.

I'd go:
Read
Briere
Wellwood
JVR
Simmonds
Voracek
Jagr
Hartnell
Schenn
Giroux
Talbot
Couturier

from last year (worst to best)

unlike many on here, I don't judge defensive ability entirely on +/-

I actually watch them play as well as taking position, line mates, and opposition into account.

Matt Read is awful at defense. He plays against poor opposition, and often was out of place and unaware of what was happening defensively. He falls victim to 'Watching the play' too often. He's a rookie though, so maybe he will improve?
Really? Read and Wellwood? Really? How is that possible? Does anyone else share that sentiment?

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:17 PM
  #213
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Really? Read and Wellwood? Really? How is that possible? Does anyone else share that sentiment?
I don't know how many players who are the worst of the team defensively play on the penalty kill. But like i told him. Its not worth to go back and forth. I already know he has no idea what he is talking about.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:42 PM
  #214
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Really? Read and Wellwood? Really? How is that possible? Does anyone else share that sentiment?
who would you say was worse than read at defense?
(not including shelley, rinaldo, and other scratches)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:36 PM
  #215
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Really? Read and Wellwood? Really? How is that possible? Does anyone else share that sentiment?
Nope. I thought Read was really good defensively.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:42 PM
  #216
clodejirew
Registered User
 
clodejirew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
So jagr takes up top-six minutes, so we dont need him.

BUT we need to sign someone who can play top 6 minutes...

You won't find a better bargain than Jagr-- and while he could get hurt, its not a guarantee he will be injured come playoffs.


Think of it this way: if he gets hurt, then we can give our young guys those minutes
I'm saying that if Jagr is resigned, he is probably going to be on the same line he was on last season and he is not going to be as productive as somebody else they could put on that line (whether that player is somebody already on the team or if its somebody they sign.) At some point they have to give their younger players bigger roles on the team. Homer's focus should mostly be on defense at this point since we already have many scoring options. Jagr's older and he's most likely not going to progress from his last season. I wouldn't pay more than 3 mil for his services this season and he shouldn't be on the first line because at this point, there are other wingers on this team that could out-produce him in that spot.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:17 PM
  #217
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
The $$cost really isn't the issue. (Unless we get parise) we have cap space for this year, plus next year kimmo/hartnell come off the books.

Ice time is one thing, but since we traded jvr we'll have more room.

Schenn, simmonds, and couturier are really the only guys ready for more time.

Read/wellwood/harry z and company did a great job stepping up, but if we rely on them for big minutes all season (and playoffs)
We won't go very far.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:20 PM
  #218
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28
 
Giroux 4 MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
matt read was our worst defensive forward last year.

I'd go:
Read
Briere
Wellwood
JVR
Simmonds
Voracek
Jagr
Hartnell
Schenn
Giroux
Talbot
Couturier

from last year (worst to best)

unlike many on here, I don't judge defensive ability entirely on +/-

I actually watch them play as well as taking position, line mates, and opposition into account.

Matt Read is awful at defense. He plays against poor opposition, and often was out of place and unaware of what was happening defensively. He falls victim to 'Watching the play' too often. He's a rookie though, so maybe he will improve?
Pretty sure when your on the PK you aren't close to being the worst defensive forward on the team, Wellwood was brought up cause he has good speed and good defense and an extra PK man, I find this list ridiculous.

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:26 AM
  #219
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He also only plays half of the ice.
Parise was - 5 and Jagr + 5.

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:42 AM
  #220
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Parise was - 5 and Jagr + 5.
I don't use +/- as a legit stat.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
  #221
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Thank you!

And this is precisely the problem we had with the Devils this playoffs. Too many 1 way players, not enough 2 way players.
The reason we lost to the devils was the 6 left handed defenseman that we have playing a left wing lock system.

The devils pushed the puck to the other side of the ice in every single game. Exactly what the Rangers did last season too.

Crazy that huh..........

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:47 AM
  #222
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Is Svoboda scheduled to talk to the Flyers or the Flyers just as any other 30 teams now seeing we have no reports of contact between the 2 sides?

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:20 AM
  #223
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Jaromir Jagr's agent confirms he's now listening to offers from NHL teams other than #flyers. #JagrWatch2012
....

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:09 PM
  #224
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Not much to report on Pens' front at the moment. If things don't heat up, I'm calling Svoboda.
Good stuff!

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:46 AM
  #225
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
@tpanotchCSN

Svoboda tells me Jagr got 21 offers today!
LOL. Svoboda with his mind games again - I bet he is lying

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.