HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Murray is the new head coach of the Phantoms

Old
06-30-2012, 01:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Not at all. Sutter, Stevens, and several players on the team are all on record that Sutter didn't change anything defensively when he took over. A more aggressive forecheck was the main thing he altered.

Our firm has represented Bob Crocker for over 30 years and he said the same thing, but what would he know about LA King hockey?
So you acknowledge that the Kings went from also-ran/out of playoffs to Stanley Cup Champions because of offense and puck-possession and not the air-tight defense you demand.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
moosehead81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I was hoping he'd come aboard as an assistant on Lavy's staff, but I can live with this.
Surprised no-bodys' mentionned that, should Laviolette and his "system" fail part way into next season, there's an obvious replacement down the road who can teach defensive systems to young players. There may yet be some madness to the Flyers' thinking here.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Don't see Murray as the potential replacement.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Surprised no-bodys' mentionned that, should Laviolette and his "system" fail part way into next season, there's an obvious replacement down the road who can teach defensive systems to young players. There may yet be some madness to the Flyers' thinking here.
Because anyone with any knowledge of the situation would realize that is not the reason he was hired.. But someone had to bring it up so you win the prize.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:37 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Because anyone with any knowledge of the situation would realize that is not the reason he was hired.. But someone had to bring it up so you win the prize.
And you are a part of the Flyers brain-trust knowing why some-one is hired (or fired)? Please share your far-reaching knowledge of the situation with the rest of us plebes so we can all understand why TM was hired instead of just throwing out subjective platitudes. And lastly, please remind me of this little set-to if Laviolette happens to fail within the next year to be replaced by ??????

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:54 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
So you acknowledge that the Kings went from also-ran/out of playoffs to Stanley Cup Champions because of offense and puck-possession and not the air-tight defense you demand.
No. I've never said or acknowledged anything close to what you stated. I'll make it clearer for you since you're confused about where I stand.

I've never used the words "air-tight" or anything close when discussing what type of system I want the Flyers to play.

Click here for further clarification.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1186669

As you see, I used the following as one answer for that poll;

Defense First (something that resembles forwards playing some sort of defensive system)

Playing a defense first system doesn't mean you have to play "air tight" as you call it, or some type of a complete lock down.

The Kings won the cup because of their defense, plain and simple. They weren't reeling off 6-4 wins several times a series. That team is built to win tight checking, low scoring, playoff style hockey.

Pittsburgh was dumb enough to try and race up and down the ice and play pond hockey with us. Championship teams won't do that, they will have a much easier time dictating the pace of the game than we will.

NJ and Boston did it to us the last two years.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Homer wants to look at the way we defend, or play defense. He said something along those lines after we lost to NJ. If Murray isn't a potential replacement, then what is he doing here?

Oh that's right, he is gonna teach Lavy's system to the AHL club......

Old
06-30-2012, 09:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
No. I've never said or acknowledged anything close to what you stated. I'll make it clearer for you since you're confused about where I stand.

I've never used the words "air-tight" or anything close when discussing what type of system I want the Flyers to play.

Click here for further clarification.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1186669

As you see, I used the following as one answer for that poll;

Defense First (something that resembles forwards playing some sort of defensive system)

Playing a defense first system doesn't mean you have to play "air tight" as you call it, or some type of a complete lock down.

The Kings won the cup because of their defense, plain and simple. They weren't reeling off 6-4 wins several times a series. That team is built to win tight checking, low scoring, playoff style hockey.

Pittsburgh was dumb enough to try and race up and down the ice and play pond hockey with us. Championship teams won't do that, they will have a much easier time dictating the pace of the game than we will.

NJ and Boston did it to us the last two years.
The Kings won the Cup because they owned the puck, Quick just got the credit for it.

You do know that Murray was fired because the Kings didn't produce jack **** offensively right? They were playing the low-scoring, offense-optional game half the season, and it was excruciating to see that if they gave up more than 1 goal they were more than likely going to lose.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:35 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
The Kings won the Cup because they owned the puck, Quick just got the credit for it.
Exactly. Teams that play defense first tend to dictate pace and generally own the puck.

Quote:
You do know that Murray was fired because the Kings didn't produce jack **** offensively right? They were playing the low-scoring, offense-optional game half the season, and it was excruciating to see that if they gave up more than 1 goal they were more than likely going to lose.
Yes, and I also know that Sutter didn't change anything defensively. He adjusted the forecheck to create a few more offensive chances but they sacrificed nothing defensively while doing so.

The Kings played a defense first system all year, and won a cup doing it. It's the polar opposite of pond hockey.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:42 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Exactly. Teams that play defense first tend to dictate pace and generally own the puck.

Yes, and I also know that Sutter didn't change anything defensively. He adjusted the forecheck to create a few more offensive chances but they sacrificed nothing defensively while doing so.

The Kings played a defense first system all year, and won a cup doing it. It's the polar opposite of pond hockey.

Maybe you should learn how to multi-quote before you start preaching. Might be a good idea...

TheLegendkiller is online now   Reply With Quote