HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds re-sign Gaustad 4 years 13 million.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
20 years dead??
manically depressed ... I don't get this signing ... if it's any other team, they'd be taking a discount to play there ... it's ridiculous ... I think I'm staying away from twitter/hfboards for the next week

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

It's not really the money that bothers me, or him at all. I like Gaustad a lot. It's that our centers are now Fisher, Legwand, Spaling, and Gaustad. All tweeners/grinders with zero 1st line potential.

I know it's not too late for roster moves or upgrades, but I'm less hopeful now. One of these guys either needs to be traded or moved to wing. And we all know Fisher and Legwand are going nowhere.

I still maintain that weak centermen is the piece holding us back from reaching that next level. I really hope we address this.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:32 PM
ilikeblocks

Tim Connolly signed a contract with a 4.75 million cap hit last season. UFA time is crazy.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's not really the money that bothers me, or him at all. I like Gaustad a lot. It's that our centers are now Fisher, Legwand, Spaling, and Gaustad. All tweeners/grinders with zero 1st line potential.

I know it's not too late for roster moves or upgrades, but I'm less hopeful now. One of these guys either needs to be traded or moved to wing. And we all know Fisher and Legwand are going nowhere.

I still maintain that weak centermen is the piece holding us back from reaching that next level. I really hope we address this.
This basically affirms the belief we will not get an upgrade at center. Great.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:44 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
manically depressed ... I don't get this signing ... if it's any other team, they'd be taking a discount to play there ... it's ridiculous ... I think I'm staying away from twitter/hfboards for the next week
Sid Crosby is the only player i know thats truly taken a hometown discount this year... i think with the uncertainty of the next CBA everyone is getting everything they can get while the getting is good

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:

Spaling played on Smithson's wing alot so all hope isn't lost, but sadly, I doubt we add another center.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
NoNecksCurse

yeah our centers are weak. legwand, fish, spaling, gaustad.. not horrible but not a group of centers im confident in either. our top 2 centers can be incredibly inconsistent and both focus defense heavily. which both are pretty good in a shut down type role as well.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
yeah our centers are weak. legwand, fish, smith, gaustad.. not horrible but not a group of centers im confident in either. our top 2 centers can be incredibly inconsistent and both focus defense heavily. which both are pretty good in a shut down type role as well.
FTFY, otherwise, I agree with everything you said.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:47 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Sid Crosby is the only player i know thats truly taken a hometown discount this year... i think with the uncertainty of the next CBA everyone is getting everything they can get while the getting is good
yeah players want the max with uncertainty looming with the CBA.

other than crosby, couple guys on vancouver took discounts. but its a rarity.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:48 PM
tserberis*

Quote:

I like the way you think...

Without real Center corner piece, we still the same team.

P.S. I would like to hear one good reason why is it an over-payment???

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I totally agree we need to find a #1C, but that doesn't make this a bad signing. If anything, I think this helps. We can now deal Fisher or Legwand (more likely Legwand) and still have (whoever we get), Fisher, Goose, and Spaling as our centers, plus Wilson and Smith both can play down the middle.

Speaking of which, don't forget that Smith could progress into a #1C if we cant find one.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:52 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
FTFY, otherwise, I agree with everything you said.
you think trotz puts smith at center? id love to see it. our centers need an infusion of skill and offense. just hard to come by with trotz. his system of team defense that has worked well for him would put alot of responsiblity on smith in the defensive zone. trotz was scratching smith/wilson down the stretch.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
you think trotz puts smith at center? id love to see it. our centers need an infusion of skill and offense. just hard to come by with trotz. his system of team defense that has worked well for him would put alot of responsiblity on smith in the defensive zone. trotz was scratching smith/wilson down the stretch.
kid was first year out of college ... don't throw the baby out with the bath water ... unless we score an upgrade in trade ... I think Smith should be given a chance to improve our skill @ the center position.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I don't think signing Goose precludes us signing Doan or Jokinen if it came to pass that we could have them... Spaling could play wing or even be traded

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I don't think signing Goose precludes us signing Doan or Jokinen if it came to pass that we could have them... Spaling could play wing or even be traded
Leggy to third line if we bring in Doan or Olli Jokinen ... or Doan at right wing, Leggy still at center, with Spaling and Gaustad centering the bottom lines.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
JR303

after watching all the games Gaustad played with us, I honestly thought he could/should have centered the 3rd line (assuming 12 & 11 are 1 & 2). I think his role needs expanding. He's got more to him than faceoffs, and with his size I think he can certainly maintain a forecheck. He did so a little bit, but many times was pulled off the ice after a faceoff win. I was wanting to see a Gaustad, Wilson, Tootoo line last season.

JR303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
after watching all the games Gaustad played with us, I honestly thought he could/should have centered the 3rd line (assuming 12 & 11 are 1 & 2). I think his role needs expanding. He's got more to him than faceoffs, and with his size I think he can certainly maintain a forecheck. He did so a little bit, but many times was pulled off the ice after a faceoff win. I was wanting to see a Gaustad, Wilson, Tootoo line last season.
I wonder how much of his limited ice time with us was a result of the shoulder injury.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Firestorm

A lot of other teams are mocking the 'overpayment' for Gaustad.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:14 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
We got a deal on Gill, over paid on Goose. 5.25mil combined on average. How many of those other teams have a Redden, Martin, Statsny, Camms, Gomez type deal in their recent history?

Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Yeah, I wonder if the mocking will evolve into worry that this is cap-inflation at work, then gradually turn into acceptance that $3.25M in a $70 million cap environment with a thin free-agency suddenly doesn't look too bad.

Not great, but not too bad.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
ha just wait till all the signings start pouring in tomorrow...

Old
06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Trick comment? It is an overpayment and more years than I would've liked to boot.

I worry that now we won't upgrade our centers, the position we need to upgrade the most.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:29 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Yeah, I wonder if the mocking will evolve into worry that this is cap-inflation at work, then gradually turn into acceptance that $3.25M in a $70 million cap environment with a thin free-agency suddenly doesn't look too bad.

Not great, but not too bad.
When he signed his contract with Buffalo it was 4.05% of total salary cap.
Right now it is 4.63% So I dont think it is that bad, considering he is UFA and got more experienced...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:46 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I wonder how much of his limited ice time with us was a result of the shoulder injury.
Quite possible. I am anxious to see if he is more of a cog of our team this season. I think he can play a higher role than he was given last season (possibly because of the injury) and if Spaling stays, I think that our PK will be better in the long ron.

JR303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I like Gaustad for what he brings. I don't like him nearly that much. The money is crazy, but ever since Sammy Pahlsson had his great run in the 2007 playoffs, defensive forwards have become exponentially more expensive. Personally, I would rather put that money towards a guy who knows which end of the proverbial gun makes the loud noises, but Goose will be useful and consistent.

Let's just hope the new CBA doesn't dramatically slash the players' share, or this deal could look really, really bad...

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-30-2012 at 09:53 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote