HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds re-sign Gaustad 4 years 13 million.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
  #26
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
20 years dead??
manically depressed ... I don't get this signing ... if it's any other team, they'd be taking a discount to play there ... it's ridiculous ... I think I'm staying away from twitter/hfboards for the next week

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
  #27
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
It's not really the money that bothers me, or him at all. I like Gaustad a lot. It's that our centers are now Fisher, Legwand, Spaling, and Gaustad. All tweeners/grinders with zero 1st line potential.

I know it's not too late for roster moves or upgrades, but I'm less hopeful now. One of these guys either needs to be traded or moved to wing. And we all know Fisher and Legwand are going nowhere.

I still maintain that weak centermen is the piece holding us back from reaching that next level. I really hope we address this.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:32 PM
  #28
ilikeblocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Tim Connolly signed a contract with a 4.75 million cap hit last season. UFA time is crazy.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:43 PM
  #29
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's not really the money that bothers me, or him at all. I like Gaustad a lot. It's that our centers are now Fisher, Legwand, Spaling, and Gaustad. All tweeners/grinders with zero 1st line potential.

I know it's not too late for roster moves or upgrades, but I'm less hopeful now. One of these guys either needs to be traded or moved to wing. And we all know Fisher and Legwand are going nowhere.

I still maintain that weak centermen is the piece holding us back from reaching that next level. I really hope we address this.
This basically affirms the belief we will not get an upgrade at center. Great.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:44 PM
  #30
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,686
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
manically depressed ... I don't get this signing ... if it's any other team, they'd be taking a discount to play there ... it's ridiculous ... I think I'm staying away from twitter/hfboards for the next week
Sid Crosby is the only player i know thats truly taken a hometown discount this year... i think with the uncertainty of the next CBA everyone is getting everything they can get while the getting is good

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:44 PM
  #31
Broom of the System
Registered User
 
Broom of the System's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's not really the money that bothers me, or him at all. I like Gaustad a lot. It's that our centers are now Fisher, Legwand, Spaling, and Gaustad. All tweeners/grinders with zero 1st line potential.

I know it's not too late for roster moves or upgrades, but I'm less hopeful now. One of these guys either needs to be traded or moved to wing. And we all know Fisher and Legwand are going nowhere.

I still maintain that weak centermen is the piece holding us back from reaching that next level. I really hope we address this.
Spaling played on Smithson's wing alot so all hope isn't lost, but sadly, I doubt we add another center.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
  #32
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
yeah our centers are weak. legwand, fish, spaling, gaustad.. not horrible but not a group of centers im confident in either. our top 2 centers can be incredibly inconsistent and both focus defense heavily. which both are pretty good in a shut down type role as well.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
  #33
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
yeah our centers are weak. legwand, fish, smith, gaustad.. not horrible but not a group of centers im confident in either. our top 2 centers can be incredibly inconsistent and both focus defense heavily. which both are pretty good in a shut down type role as well.
FTFY, otherwise, I agree with everything you said.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:47 PM
  #34
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Sid Crosby is the only player i know thats truly taken a hometown discount this year... i think with the uncertainty of the next CBA everyone is getting everything they can get while the getting is good
yeah players want the max with uncertainty looming with the CBA.

other than crosby, couple guys on vancouver took discounts. but its a rarity.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:48 PM
  #35
tserberis*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's not really the money that bothers me, or him at all. I like Gaustad a lot. It's that our centers are now Fisher, Legwand, Spaling, and Gaustad. All tweeners/grinders with zero 1st line potential.

I know it's not too late for roster moves or upgrades, but I'm less hopeful now. One of these guys either needs to be traded or moved to wing. And we all know Fisher and Legwand are going nowhere.

I still maintain that weak centermen is the piece holding us back from reaching that next level. I really hope we address this.
I like the way you think...

Without real Center corner piece, we still the same team.



P.S. I would like to hear one good reason why is it an over-payment???

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
  #36
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
I totally agree we need to find a #1C, but that doesn't make this a bad signing. If anything, I think this helps. We can now deal Fisher or Legwand (more likely Legwand) and still have (whoever we get), Fisher, Goose, and Spaling as our centers, plus Wilson and Smith both can play down the middle.

Speaking of which, don't forget that Smith could progress into a #1C if we cant find one.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:52 PM
  #37
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
FTFY, otherwise, I agree with everything you said.
you think trotz puts smith at center? id love to see it. our centers need an infusion of skill and offense. just hard to come by with trotz. his system of team defense that has worked well for him would put alot of responsiblity on smith in the defensive zone. trotz was scratching smith/wilson down the stretch.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:54 PM
  #38
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
you think trotz puts smith at center? id love to see it. our centers need an infusion of skill and offense. just hard to come by with trotz. his system of team defense that has worked well for him would put alot of responsiblity on smith in the defensive zone. trotz was scratching smith/wilson down the stretch.
kid was first year out of college ... don't throw the baby out with the bath water ... unless we score an upgrade in trade ... I think Smith should be given a chance to improve our skill @ the center position.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:55 PM
  #39
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,686
vCash: 50
I don't think signing Goose precludes us signing Doan or Jokinen if it came to pass that we could have them... Spaling could play wing or even be traded

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:00 PM
  #40
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I don't think signing Goose precludes us signing Doan or Jokinen if it came to pass that we could have them... Spaling could play wing or even be traded
Leggy to third line if we bring in Doan or Olli Jokinen ... or Doan at right wing, Leggy still at center, with Spaling and Gaustad centering the bottom lines.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
  #41
JR303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
after watching all the games Gaustad played with us, I honestly thought he could/should have centered the 3rd line (assuming 12 & 11 are 1 & 2). I think his role needs expanding. He's got more to him than faceoffs, and with his size I think he can certainly maintain a forecheck. He did so a little bit, but many times was pulled off the ice after a faceoff win. I was wanting to see a Gaustad, Wilson, Tootoo line last season.

JR303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:05 PM
  #42
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
after watching all the games Gaustad played with us, I honestly thought he could/should have centered the 3rd line (assuming 12 & 11 are 1 & 2). I think his role needs expanding. He's got more to him than faceoffs, and with his size I think he can certainly maintain a forecheck. He did so a little bit, but many times was pulled off the ice after a faceoff win. I was wanting to see a Gaustad, Wilson, Tootoo line last season.
I wonder how much of his limited ice time with us was a result of the shoulder injury.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:06 PM
  #43
Firestorm
Registered User
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada Eh?
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
A lot of other teams are mocking the 'overpayment' for Gaustad.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:14 PM
  #44
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
A lot of other teams are mocking the 'overpayment' for Gaustad.
We got a deal on Gill, over paid on Goose. 5.25mil combined on average. How many of those other teams have a Redden, Martin, Statsny, Camms, Gomez type deal in their recent history?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
  #45
MarkMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
A lot of other teams are mocking the 'overpayment' for Gaustad.
Yeah, I wonder if the mocking will evolve into worry that this is cap-inflation at work, then gradually turn into acceptance that $3.25M in a $70 million cap environment with a thin free-agency suddenly doesn't look too bad.

Not great, but not too bad.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
  #46
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
A lot of other teams are mocking the 'overpayment' for Gaustad.
ha just wait till all the signings start pouring in tomorrow...

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
  #47
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
A lot of other teams are mocking the 'overpayment' for Gaustad.
Trick comment? It is an overpayment and more years than I would've liked to boot.

I worry that now we won't upgrade our centers, the position we need to upgrade the most.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:29 PM
  #48
tserberis*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Yeah, I wonder if the mocking will evolve into worry that this is cap-inflation at work, then gradually turn into acceptance that $3.25M in a $70 million cap environment with a thin free-agency suddenly doesn't look too bad.

Not great, but not too bad.
When he signed his contract with Buffalo it was 4.05% of total salary cap.
Right now it is 4.63% So I dont think it is that bad, considering he is UFA and got more experienced...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:46 PM
  #49
JR303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I wonder how much of his limited ice time with us was a result of the shoulder injury.
Quite possible. I am anxious to see if he is more of a cog of our team this season. I think he can play a higher role than he was given last season (possibly because of the injury) and if Spaling stays, I think that our PK will be better in the long ron.

JR303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
  #50
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,415
vCash: 500
I like Gaustad for what he brings. I don't like him nearly that much. The money is crazy, but ever since Sammy Pahlsson had his great run in the 2007 playoffs, defensive forwards have become exponentially more expensive. Personally, I would rather put that money towards a guy who knows which end of the proverbial gun makes the loud noises, but Goose will be useful and consistent.

Let's just hope the new CBA doesn't dramatically slash the players' share, or this deal could look really, really bad...


Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-30-2012 at 09:53 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.