HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

i never would've thought...(semin)

Old
06-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
i never would've thought...(semin)

but the more i look at it... the more interested i am in signing Semin...

(understanding that it would necessitate moving other contracts in trade)

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:38 PM
gallagt01

I asked in another thread but didn't get much of a reply - as someone who hasn't seen many Caps games in recent years, how is his work ethic? I vaguely recall concerns regarding his work ethic and 200-foot game a few years ago, but I know very little now.

He's always been enigmatic but the guy can score.. That said, I don't think he really makes Buffalo a tougher team to play against.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Sabreality

considering what else is out there, i wouldnt be oppossed

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Someone would have to go.

06-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I asked in another thread but didn't get much of a reply - as someone who hasn't seen many Caps games in recent years, how is his work ethic? I vaguely recall concerns regarding his work ethic and 200-foot game a few years ago, but I know very little now.

He's always been enigmatic but the guy can score.. That said, I don't think he really makes Buffalo a tougher team to play against.
1. the advanced stats tell a good all around story
2. i didnt watch enough caps in the regular season, but his game in the playoffs didn't leave me with the impression that the russian "work ethic" stigma was as serious as i'd been led to believe
3. mostly, i think he's signing fits with the transition from the rochesters core to the "new" core over the next 2 years.

i think we should be walking away from a lot of the rochester core over the next 2 years... and it will create a TON of cap space.

4. the russian connection with grigs
5. elite goal scoring skill is hard to come by

Last edited by vcv: 06-30-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old
06-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Jame
Dream '16

yes, vanek would have to go... and hopefully the return on that trade would allow for roy to be moved too

Old
06-30-2012, 09:43 PM
JPurp26

Can't deny his raw skill, now that we got grigs maybe we can look to more Russians

JPurp26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

Sounds eerily similar to many of the arguments against acquiring someone like Jeff Carter.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
In all seriousness, my two strongest concerns with Semin are:

#1 Relationship with Ruff. I could see this not going well as Semin is a bit mercurial, Russian, and extremely talented

#2 He's a big strong guy but he still manages to get banged up every year. That is a concern with high-level UFAs, imo. I think his career high is around 77 games. Every season is mid-60s or mid-70s.

That said, here are some myths:
#1 Not a playoff performer: In terms of raw statistic totals, he's only had 2 poor playoffs. His other 3 are around a PPG. His playoff totals are comparable to Parise's, but a little bit behind.

#2 He's a one-dimensional player: He's actually a decent two-way player and when you factor in his ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone, you'll understand why advanced statics show he actually has a good on-ice impact on goals against.

#3 He's a one-man show: Again, statics show that in most case, linemates get a bump in on-ice goals for compared to playing without him. I haven't looked in to how much of that is he himself scoring the goal but it doesn't really matter so long as more goals are being scored with him than without him. This positive impact includes Ovechkin, by the way, and there's only one puck for them to share.

#4 Play4Miracles and I strongly agree that the Sabres need to get bigger and nastier on the wing. Semin is 6'3 and over 200 pounds. Marc Staal is a tough customer, but Semin taught him a lesson he'll never forget when they dropped the gloves.

OK, so in some seriousness.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:

Much improved. Responsible two way forward for the most part. Definitely not the liability he's been pegged as.

Depending on what else happened, it would be interesting to say the least. I think he and Vanek would have boatloads of chemistry, although that's probably one of the deals you're talking about moving.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I'd be ok with signing him. I'd also be ok with letting him sign with another team. He's a great player when he wants to be, has a RIDICULOUS shot, and would immediately become one of the most talented guys on our team. However, he also scares the **** outta me, doesn't make us harder to play against, and has struggled recently in the playoffs (12 points in his last 30 playoff games, compared to 22 points in his first 21 playoff games).

*shrug*

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:49 PM
ColonelForbin

Why would they need to move a contract? Doesn't he play both wings? Thought they had cap room.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:51 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
confused

1. the advanced stats tell a good all around story
2. i didnt watch enough caps in the regular season, but his game in the playoffs didn't leave me with the impression that the russian "work ethic" stigma was as serious as i'd been led to believe
3. mostly, i think he's signing fits with the transition from the rochesters core to the "new" core over the next 2 years.

i think we should be walking away from a lot of the rochester core over the next 2 years... and it will create a TON of cap space.

4. the russian connection with grigs
5. elite goal scoring skill is hard to come by
1) Good
2) Good
3) I'm not sure Regier would have the same line of thinking, but in principle, I like it.
4) Sign ALL the Russians. If it makes the team better, I'm for it, but if it's not a good fit I wouldn't want to sign him just for Grigorenko (which is where the rest of your points come into play anyways).
5) Absolutely.

Quote:
yes, vanek would have to go... and hopefully the return on that trade would allow for roy to be moved too
Again, I'm not sure Regier's line of thinking would be to sign Semin to trade Vanek. He publicly stated that he wants to add scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Sounds eerily similar to many of the arguments against acquiring someone like Jeff Carter.
I didn't really pose an argument as much as made an inquiry so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Much improved. Responsible two way forward for the most part. Definitely not the liability he's been pegged as.
Good, thanks. He's got a bad reputation in this regard, so it's nice to hear it debunked a bit.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Imlach a cup

Can't say I know much about him. Where would he fight in line combo wise. Definitely agree this roster needs 1more scoring threat to be an effective 3 line attack.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

for me...

there are a lot of debates where we take very strong opinions.
"i WANT this guy more then that guy"
"my biggest FEAR is that we sign so and so"

i saw Semin listed a few times in the "fear" thread... and i thought that was weird.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:56 PM
gallagt01

If they add Semin, okay - I just feel that a more physical presence is still needed in the top six.

I think people have been understating the significance that Tropp's physical presence had on that Vanek-Hodgson line late in the year. The line is undoubtedly more talented if you plug Semin into Tropp's spot, but does the line "work" as well?

Sign Semin, Sign Doan, Trade Vanek.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
for me...

there are a lot of debates where we take very strong opinions.
"i WANT this guy more then that guy"
"my biggest FEAR is that we sign so and so"

i saw Semin listed a few times in the "fear" thread... and i thought that was weird.
for the same reason Grigs fell to us at 12

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

I went from wanting to vomit at the thought a few weeks ago, to thinking, "Eh, it could be worse, right?" Progression!

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:00 PM
JPurp26

2 things for sure needed to add to this squad. One is scoring which semin provides the other is grit size defensive center

Old
06-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

5 yrs / 30 million / 6 cap

trade vanek + gerbe for pavelski and clowe

trade roy for ott

semin-hodgson-pommer
clowe-pavelski-leino
foligno-ennis-stafford
kaleta-ott-tropp/mccormick

Old
06-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Could they/would they look to move Stafford if they sign Semin, say to SJ for Pavelski if they could make it work?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Could they/would they look to move Stafford if they sign Semin, say to SJ for Pavelski if they could make it work?
i think they are too enamored with the "chemistry" on that line

but if san jose is after nash... and doesn't land him... could vanek be a guy they'd trade pavelski/clowe for?

Old
06-30-2012, 10:14 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

He's very polarizing.

I for one would be on board.

To think, all we would have to is wave Leino and we could sign Semin and only take about $2 mil in extra cap hit.

More realistically we would have to move Stafford or Roy (but only if they really think Grigs is NHL ready).

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

but if san jose is after nash... and doesn't land him... could vanek be a guy they'd trade pavelski/clowe for?
Yeah, I suspect Stafford was the player Regier mentioned in his pre-draft interview about not disrupting chemistry. Then again, it may be more smokescreen if they haven't gotten an offer for a player they view as an improvement in another area.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
JPurp26

Quote:

Hope so