HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
PVR/Lander, I've considered Omark an organizational afterthought since he came out flat in the preseason when he was already on thin ice

It's not so much of a league vs league difference and historical age spreads, but more a what's best for preparing for the NHL to me. Doubt Klefbom is ready right now, but seems like the type that could end up getting fast tracked sooner than later. The sooner he gets into an environment that prepares him for that without the pressure of the NHL spotlight, the better.

Smaller rinks, far more physical hockey, organizational specific defensive systems and cultural shifts. Add in a cluster of players to grow with(as I said before) and there are just a lot of good reasons to make the move over staying in the elite league.

Agree with this post 100%.

I think its critical to convince Kelfbom to come over here for this season & I don't think its a bad thing if he is on the roster out of camp....even if he's only playing limited minutes.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrushers View Post
I'm fairly sure that free and on loan is not the same thing.

What's best for his development is to get a full senior season instead of playing scrimmages and friendly games and then play in the AHL where the level of play is nowhere near what he will get in the SEL.

If you then add the personal aspect of this, Klefbom was brought up in Färjestad and leaving like that would put that organisation in heaps of problems right now. I'm not sure he would be very much liked around his hometown if doing it like that when making promises to everyone and everything.

Me, I hope that he has a brilliant NHL carrier someday but if he leaves now, I never want to see him in Färjestad again.
In OKC Lander, Paajarvi, and Omark all said that the SEL and AHL are pretty comparable. They said they are completely different styles, but neither league is a clear cut above the other quality wise. They mentioned that the top AHL teams could compete in Sweden on the big ice, and vice versa for the SEL teams on N.A ice. So don't get too ahead of yourself, because there is an adjustment period coming over, and all playing in the AHL would do is get him more familiar to the N.A style of play, which would hurt him in no way.

Both are good options though, looking forward to tracking his development.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:43 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
PVR/Lander, I've considered Omark an organizational afterthought since he came out flat in the preseason when he was already on thin ice

It's not so much of a league vs league difference and historical age spreads, but more a what's best for preparing for the NHL to me. Doubt Klefbom is ready right now, but seems like the type that could end up getting fast tracked sooner than later. The sooner he gets into an environment that prepares him for that without the pressure of the NHL spotlight, the better.

Smaller rinks, far more physical hockey, organizational specific defensive systems and cultural shifts. Add in a cluster of players to grow with(as I said before) and there are just a lot of good reasons to make the move over staying in the elite league.
I hear you, but I'll still play the euro-softie part here. If we were talking math here you'd be a 100% right, smaller rink, environment, etc., but I don't think we're talking math. He's a really young kid playing in the same team (or very close to) since he was a kid. Last couple of years he's been growing fast but if the choice is between AHL and SEL (for the record I don't think SEL is better than AHL) I think it would serve him best to develop in a familiar environment. Of course it doesn't hurt that he is on one of the top teams in the SEL. The small rink etc. is no real problem (all-star WJC small rink), the speed might be, but that is not a huge problem.

Oh, I'm only talking Klefbom playing in SEL vs AHL now. I still think they should try to keep him around for as long as possible during the preseason.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Usual_Suspect

Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer)
Oscar Klefbom has clearly seperated from the other D at Development Camp. Might be in NHL sooner rather than later!

Old
06-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Nail and Nuge

I am very interested in watching Klefbom come and join the Oilers- but you can tell his heart is on returning to Sweden and completing what he started. I agree with what a poster said earlier about feeling as though he owed them something and that rang true to me.

I predict top 4 but not convinced about top 2.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Koto

im really concerned with fighting hard to get him here for this season, and then 20 games in realizing hes in over his head.

just let him stay in sweden.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:44 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Oscar Klefbom has clearly seperated from the other D at Development Camp. Might be in NHL sooner rather than later!
Translation: If we miss on Schultz Tambo can use the "but this kid is NHL ready" as an excuse for why he couldn't add any defensemen via free agency or trade.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:15 AM
jebs

I want him to go back to the SEL.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:19 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
im really concerned with fighting hard to get him here for this season, and then 20 games in realizing hes in over his head.

My interpretation (which obviously may be wrong) of what has happened over the last week or so is that he is the one who beginning to have second thoughts about the whole situation. All I've heard from the organisation so far is that they will let him do what feels right for him. After the contract negotiations Klefbom even stated that he was surprised how "easy" Tambo was with regards to this, basically saying that Klefbom could do what he wanted to and that there was no pressure for him to come over this season.

It is of course possible that his second thoughts derive from the fact that he's getting a lot of attention lately and only good feedback with regards to his performance in camp so far. I just hope that his final judgement on this will be the right one, whether he decides to take his chances and stay here or not.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post

Because it's not they have that 9 game window or anything.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:37 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Now that Justin Schultz will be signing here, Oilers management should be happy with Klefbom playing in Sweden for another year.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Let him go back to SEL for another season and he'll be ready for a top 4 role next season.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Shanahanigans

Any chance the Oilers give him 9 games then send him back to the SEL, similar to what the Sens did to Zibanejad last year?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
for some reason my eyes read something about a separated shoulder, heart stopped there for a moment.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Any chance the Oilers give him 9 games then send him back to the SEL, similar to what the Sens did to Zibanejad last year?
Hmmm... this might be the best solution. I think it depends on what other roster moves are made before October.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:25 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
lets bring in Klefbom.

Petry-Smid
Klefbom-Whitney
J.Schultz- N.Schultz/Sutton

Old
06-30-2012, 11:26 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Not according to that one Swedish poster but I would like to see him in training camp and pre-season before we get to the point where we talk about 9 games. Still I do not want to pressure him into playing in the NHL since he has said he will play in the Sweden this up coming season.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Not according to that one Swedish poster but I would like to see him in training camp and pre-season before we get to the point where we talk about 9 games. Still I do not want to pressure him into playing in the NHL since he has said he will play in the Sweden this up coming season.
lol that's still an option, if Klefbom shows well enough in camp.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Shizuka

I like the fact that the kid wants to honour his contract with his Swedish team. That's pretty stand up for a young guy. I think he should, and the Schultz signing certainly eases things. Besides, he will develop further playing in the SEL than seeing limited minutes in a pressured role wouldn't he? Part of me feels for the Euro leagues too, losing their top guys to the NHL.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:35 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
lol that's still an option, if Klefbom shows well enough in camp.
Yeah true I am really excieted for him to be doing so well in Dev camp. With Justin now on the team it makes it a bit more hairy if we would want two rookie d in the line up on opening night. The plus in all of this is we have two d-men that are going to be competing with any one else on the team for a spot and that is a great thing.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:36 PM
dem

No reason for him to be in the NHL

Play out another season in Sweden where he will get leaned on.

Oilers are breaking in plenty of young players as is.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Yeah true I am really excieted for him to be doing so well in Dev camp. With Justin now on the team it makes it a bit more hairy if we would want two rookie d in the line up on opening night. The plus in all of this is we have two d-men that are going to be competing with any one else on the team for a spot and that is a great thing.
I personally don't care if the team has 10 rookies on the blueline, if they're good enough to be there and make the team better, that's all that matters in my mind.

If the talk is that Klefbom is as good, or better, then Ryan Murray, he's good enough to be on the team, bring him to camp and see if he is. How he plays in Sweden isn't that important.

Old
07-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Hynh

Let him finish up his Swedish contract. Tell him it's important to be loyal to the people you play with. That way in 8 years he reups rather than walking away as a UFA.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
Let him finish up his Swedish contract. Tell him it's important to be loyal to the people you play with. That way in 8 years he reups rather than walking away as a UFA.
Umm...pretty naive comment.

If he comes to camp it has to be with a fair chance to earn a spot. That means having to beat out Sutton, Potter, Peckham and J. Schultz. I think he'll probably be back to the SEL, because it's a big challenge to beat out veteran players like Sutton and Potter.

My problem with the SEL is that they only play 50 something games and the ice surface is different. I'd much rather see him come to OKC and play 70 plus playoffs and also be the no.1 or no.2 call-up option (with Teubert).

Old
07-01-2012, 01:52 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Umm...pretty naive comment.

If he comes to camp it has to be with a fair chance to earn a spot. That means having to beat out Sutton, Potter, Peckham and J. Schultz. I think he'll probably be back to the SEL, because it's a big challenge to beat out veteran players like Sutton and Potter.

My problem with the SEL is that they only play 50 something games and the ice surface is different. I'd much rather see him come to OKC and play 70 plus playoffs and also be the no.1 or no.2 call-up option (with Teubert).
Well to the 50 or so you have to add international games as well, I find it highly likely that Klefbom becomes a Tre Kronor regular next season which would mean something like 15-20 extra games. And SEL has playoffs as well, with Färjestad likely to go deep so the number of games shouldn't be a concern. I think the best path for Klefbom is another season in the SEL and then straight to the NHL for the 13/14 season, with the off chance he might need some AHL time and in that case split his time between NHL/AHL, though I believe he'll be NHL ready by the 13/14 season.

The thing I'm afraid of is that some swedes get lost in the AHL. Its reputation is getting better over here but a lot of player still sees it as a huge failure having to play in the AHL. Not saying Klafbom is that kind of guy but I prefer seeing players getting NHL ready back home before coming over.

Closed Thread