HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke Marching marching in the Pride Parade tomorrow

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 07:43 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
This goes in circles. I will repeat what I already wrote above:
It's pretty simple.

1. Burke didn't expect an offer sheet because he thought it was an unwritten rule to warn a guy 1st.

2. He knew he had 2 options if he was offer sheeted. Match a fair deal, get overpaid in compensation for an exagerated offer.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Hoping Tootoo wears the blue and white come October !

Old
06-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
This goes in circles. I will repeat what I already wrote above:
So you are using what a situation that clearly turned out to be at least a wash, if not in his favour, as an example of him looking like he's incompetent.

Especially since he was left vulnerable for an offer sheet, pretty much the unicorn of hockey contracts? So rare that not one has taken place since?

Yikes. We have high standards here if we expect omnipresence.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:47 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
It's pretty simple.

1. Burke didn't expect an offer sheet because he thought it was an unwritten rule to warn a guy 1st.

2. He knew he had 2 options if he was offer sheeted. Match a fair deal, get overpaid in compensation for an exagerated offer.

Not sure what rule Burke was imagining there - the oilers offer sheeted Vanek of the Sabres before Penner. Maybe he thought the rule was no other GM would offer sheet one of his players without pre-warning.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:49 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

With the prices teams are paying for ufa's right now, I'll be more then happy if some of our RFA's are offer sheeted.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:53 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Burke was still in the drivers seat.

Quote:
Penner is the first restricted free agent to find a new home via offer sheet in a decade. Tampa Bay declined to match a Philadelphia offer to Chris Gratton in 1997.

When the Oilers tendered the offer to Penner last week, Burke lashed out at Lowe and called it "an act of desperation" by a GM "fighting to keep his job."

He wasn't feeling any better about it on Thursday.

"We do not believe these salaries make sense," said Burke. "If I think they don't make sense and I match them then I'm just as dumb as the team that extended the offer."

Burke claims not to have a problem with offer sheets being part of the collective bargaining agreement. He's just worried that this contract will inflate those of other players down the road.

"We're going to take three draft picks back and given Kevin's recent performance, I expect them to be excellent picks," said Burke.

After earning $425,000 last season, Penner signed the offer sheet with Edmonton last Thursday for a contract that will average $4.25 million per year.

Burke says he was presented with trade offers that would have allowed him to shed salary and fit Penner under his cap, but couldn't justify any of the moves.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:58 PM
devilishleafs

All I have to say is the guy has a ton of respect from me to come out and do this for the LGBT society. I think it takes courage (a million tons of courage) to put himself out there and for his son to come out like he did. It is really sad the way things went. The man stands by his word, no one should bad mouth him for that.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:00 PM
devilishleafs

quick note Im not saying anyone here has posted anything bad, just in general, if you know what I mean. Cheers

Old
06-30-2012, 08:03 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post

he's not going to be wearing a tutu tomorrow in the parade. stop hating.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
All I have to say is the guy has a ton of respect from me to come out and do this for the LGBT society. I think it takes courage (a million tons of courage) to put himself out there and for his son to come out like he did. It is really sad the way things went. The man stands by his word, no one should bad mouth him for that.
I just want him to do his job.
I fully support his philanthropy, as long as it's during his free time. Not during the most important day of the year for his job.
Things happen FAST during free agent frenzy, and this "walk at lunch" could quite possibly get in the way of a major signing.

Lots and lots of people support the gay community but have responsibilities that prevent them from attending the parade. That should most certainly include Burke.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I fully support his philanthropy, as long as it's during his free time. Not during the most important day of the year for his job.

Things happen FAST during free agent frenzy, and this "walk at lunch" could quite possibly get in the way of a major signing.

Lots and lots of people support the gay community but have responsibilities that prevent them from attending the parade. That should most certainly include Burke.
You don't think Burke won't have all his ducks in a row come tomorrow? Nonis and Poulin were probably given a list by him as to who they'll target and for what price range (Loiselle)

I think you underestimate the Leaf management group greatly by thinking this way. They're fully capable of handling the duties of communicating with agents for half a day.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:29 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post

He's got a entourage of very capable Execs in his corner and I really don't think signing a Prust or a Tootoo is going to require Burke "face time".

Old
06-30-2012, 08:35 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
He's got a entourage of very capable Execs in his corner and I really don't think signing a Prust or a Tootoo is going to require Burke "face time".
This must be part of the reason that leaf ticket prices keep rising.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

I seriously had to check the dates on the posts. They are same ones from last year.

Free agency starts at noon. He isn't going to be meeting anyone in person this year. That gives him about an hour before he gets busy or the parade at 2:00 to talk to them on the phone. If there was an important signing that needed to be addressed, he can do it before the parade. Last time I checked, phones work while you are walking or in the back seat of a convertible.

His staff can handle negotiations, he would probably be having Loiselle do it anyway.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Dio666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Same here. He will quickly become a fan favorite imo.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:43 PM
leafs in five

i'm glad Burke continues to do this. i'd take him as a mayor, GM of Leafs is a tougher call.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:21 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

It's 45 mins out of a 24 hour day. One of our dozen assistant gms(nonis) can handle it.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Winreims

Burke isn't big on trying to improve the team on big days, such as the beginning of free agency

Old
06-30-2012, 09:42 PM
93KILLER93

Sorry about the confusion. You should certainly feel proud about who are as a person and feel open to express yourself if you choose.I also feel it is important to send a strong public message that any form of discrimation is not to be tolerated however I just don't feel a parade is correct stage to send that message.I feel it serves to bring more disparity amongst the community as a whole. I think a parade should be used to unite people and not to boast a particular group of peoples.The gay community is special however no more special than the non gay community.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:51 PM
UFancyHuh

Good for him. this year's UFAs arent anything to brag about anyway (not counting parise and sutter who we wont be in on.)

Old
06-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFancyHuh View Post
Good for him. this year's UFAs arent anything to brag about anyway (not counting parise and sutter who we wont be in on.)
Why aren't we in on Parise? Is he another one of those "not Burke's type of player".

Old
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KILLER93 View Post
Sorry about the confusion. You should certainly feel proud about who are as a person and feel open to express yourself if you choose.I also feel it is important to send a strong public message that any form of discrimation is not to be tolerated however I just don't feel a parade is correct stage to send that message.I feel it serves to bring more disparity amongst the community as a whole. I think a parade should be used to unite people and not to boast a particular group of peoples.The gay community is special however no more special than the non gay community.
Those are some deep, deep words. I applaud you for not falling into the norm

Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Why aren't we in on Parise? Is he another one of those "not Burke's type of player".
I think Burke realize he has no chance at signing quality players. As these players want to go to team that in their opinion have a more credible and realistic rebuild plan.

But Burke has said, he doesn't want more small forwards - small I presume like Kessel and Grabbo are not that great as top 6 forwards. I don't buy Burke's version as you can see.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
if burke doesnt improve the club tomorrow say good bye to the playoffs again

Old
06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I think Burke realize he has no chance at signing quality players. As these players want to go to team that in their opinion have a more credible and realistic rebuild plan.

But Burke has said, he doesn't want more small forwards - small I presume like Kessel and Grabbo are not that great as top 6 forwards. I don't buy Burke's version as you can see.
If you buy that Kessel is not a great top 6 forward then I can understand why.

Closed Thread