HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke Marching marching in the Pride Parade tomorrow

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2012, 07:43 PM
  #51
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
This goes in circles. I will repeat what I already wrote above:
It's pretty simple.

1. Burke didn't expect an offer sheet because he thought it was an unwritten rule to warn a guy 1st.

2. He knew he had 2 options if he was offer sheeted. Match a fair deal, get overpaid in compensation for an exagerated offer.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 07:44 PM
  #52
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job
 
Leafs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Romania
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 500
Hoping Tootoo wears the blue and white come October !

Leafs87 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 07:46 PM
  #53
Andrew Mack
Registered User
 
Andrew Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara Region, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
This goes in circles. I will repeat what I already wrote above:
So you are using what a situation that clearly turned out to be at least a wash, if not in his favour, as an example of him looking like he's incompetent.

Especially since he was left vulnerable for an offer sheet, pretty much the unicorn of hockey contracts? So rare that not one has taken place since?

Yikes. We have high standards here if we expect omnipresence.

Andrew Mack is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 07:47 PM
  #54
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
It's pretty simple.

1. Burke didn't expect an offer sheet because he thought it was an unwritten rule to warn a guy 1st.

2. He knew he had 2 options if he was offer sheeted. Match a fair deal, get overpaid in compensation for an exagerated offer.

Not sure what rule Burke was imagining there - the oilers offer sheeted Vanek of the Sabres before Penner. Maybe he thought the rule was no other GM would offer sheet one of his players without pre-warning.

number72 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 07:49 PM
  #55
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
With the prices teams are paying for ufa's right now, I'll be more then happy if some of our RFA's are offer sheeted.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 07:53 PM
  #56
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Burke was still in the drivers seat.

Quote:
Penner is the first restricted free agent to find a new home via offer sheet in a decade. Tampa Bay declined to match a Philadelphia offer to Chris Gratton in 1997.

When the Oilers tendered the offer to Penner last week, Burke lashed out at Lowe and called it "an act of desperation" by a GM "fighting to keep his job."

He wasn't feeling any better about it on Thursday.

"We do not believe these salaries make sense," said Burke. "If I think they don't make sense and I match them then I'm just as dumb as the team that extended the offer."

Burke claims not to have a problem with offer sheets being part of the collective bargaining agreement. He's just worried that this contract will inflate those of other players down the road.

"We're going to take three draft picks back and given Kevin's recent performance, I expect them to be excellent picks," said Burke.

After earning $425,000 last season, Penner signed the offer sheet with Edmonton last Thursday for a contract that will average $4.25 million per year.

Burke says he was presented with trade offers that would have allowed him to shed salary and fit Penner under his cap, but couldn't justify any of the moves.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 07:58 PM
  #57
devilishleafs
Registered User
 
devilishleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
All I have to say is the guy has a ton of respect from me to come out and do this for the LGBT society. I think it takes courage (a million tons of courage) to put himself out there and for his son to come out like he did. It is really sad the way things went. The man stands by his word, no one should bad mouth him for that.

devilishleafs is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:00 PM
  #58
devilishleafs
Registered User
 
devilishleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
quick note Im not saying anyone here has posted anything bad, just in general, if you know what I mean. Cheers

devilishleafs is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:03 PM
  #59
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Hoping Tootoo wears the blue and white come October !


he's not going to be wearing a tutu tomorrow in the parade. stop hating.

ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:19 PM
  #60
Disgruntled Observer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
All I have to say is the guy has a ton of respect from me to come out and do this for the LGBT society. I think it takes courage (a million tons of courage) to put himself out there and for his son to come out like he did. It is really sad the way things went. The man stands by his word, no one should bad mouth him for that.
I just want him to do his job.
I fully support his philanthropy, as long as it's during his free time. Not during the most important day of the year for his job.
Things happen FAST during free agent frenzy, and this "walk at lunch" could quite possibly get in the way of a major signing.

Lots and lots of people support the gay community but have responsibilities that prevent them from attending the parade. That should most certainly include Burke.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:29 PM
  #61
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I just want him to do his job.
I fully support his philanthropy, as long as it's during his free time. Not during the most important day of the year for his job.

Things happen FAST during free agent frenzy, and this "walk at lunch" could quite possibly get in the way of a major signing.

Lots and lots of people support the gay community but have responsibilities that prevent them from attending the parade. That should most certainly include Burke.
You don't think Burke won't have all his ducks in a row come tomorrow? Nonis and Poulin were probably given a list by him as to who they'll target and for what price range (Loiselle)

I think you underestimate the Leaf management group greatly by thinking this way. They're fully capable of handling the duties of communicating with agents for half a day.

Darkhorse1280 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:29 PM
  #62
gravyface
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I just want him to do his job.
I fully support his philanthropy, as long as it's during his free time. Not during the most important day of the year for his job.
Things happen FAST during free agent frenzy, and this "walk at lunch" could quite possibly get in the way of a major signing.

Lots and lots of people support the gay community but have responsibilities that prevent them from attending the parade. That should most certainly include Burke.
He's got a entourage of very capable Execs in his corner and I really don't think signing a Prust or a Tootoo is going to require Burke "face time".

gravyface is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:35 PM
  #63
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
He's got a entourage of very capable Execs in his corner and I really don't think signing a Prust or a Tootoo is going to require Burke "face time".
This must be part of the reason that leaf ticket prices keep rising.

number72 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
  #64
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,168
vCash: 500
I seriously had to check the dates on the posts. They are same ones from last year.

Free agency starts at noon. He isn't going to be meeting anyone in person this year. That gives him about an hour before he gets busy or the parade at 2:00 to talk to them on the phone. If there was an important signing that needed to be addressed, he can do it before the parade. Last time I checked, phones work while you are walking or in the back seat of a convertible.

His staff can handle negotiations, he would probably be having Loiselle do it anyway.

crump is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
  #65
Dio666
Registered User
 
Dio666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Macedonia
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Hoping Tootoo wears the blue and white come October !
Same here. He will quickly become a fan favorite imo.

Dio666 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 08:43 PM
  #66
leafs in five
Registered User
 
leafs in five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: guelph/ottawa
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 500
i'm glad Burke continues to do this. i'd take him as a mayor, GM of Leafs is a tougher call.

leafs in five is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:21 PM
  #67
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,267
vCash: 500
It's 45 mins out of a 24 hour day. One of our dozen assistant gms(nonis) can handle it.

cyris is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
  #68
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Burke isn't big on trying to improve the team on big days, such as the beginning of free agency

Winreims is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:42 PM
  #69
93KILLER93
Registered User
 
93KILLER93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Sorry about the confusion. You should certainly feel proud about who are as a person and feel open to express yourself if you choose.I also feel it is important to send a strong public message that any form of discrimation is not to be tolerated however I just don't feel a parade is correct stage to send that message.I feel it serves to bring more disparity amongst the community as a whole. I think a parade should be used to unite people and not to boast a particular group of peoples.The gay community is special however no more special than the non gay community.

93KILLER93 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 09:51 PM
  #70
UFancyHuh
Registered User
 
UFancyHuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lost
Posts: 10,865
vCash: 500
Good for him. this year's UFAs arent anything to brag about anyway (not counting parise and sutter who we wont be in on.)

UFancyHuh is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 10:01 PM
  #71
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFancyHuh View Post
Good for him. this year's UFAs arent anything to brag about anyway (not counting parise and sutter who we wont be in on.)
Why aren't we in on Parise? Is he another one of those "not Burke's type of player".

Winreims is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
  #72
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KILLER93 View Post
Sorry about the confusion. You should certainly feel proud about who are as a person and feel open to express yourself if you choose.I also feel it is important to send a strong public message that any form of discrimation is not to be tolerated however I just don't feel a parade is correct stage to send that message.I feel it serves to bring more disparity amongst the community as a whole. I think a parade should be used to unite people and not to boast a particular group of peoples.The gay community is special however no more special than the non gay community.
Those are some deep, deep words. I applaud you for not falling into the norm

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
  #73
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Why aren't we in on Parise? Is he another one of those "not Burke's type of player".
I think Burke realize he has no chance at signing quality players. As these players want to go to team that in their opinion have a more credible and realistic rebuild plan.

But Burke has said, he doesn't want more small forwards - small I presume like Kessel and Grabbo are not that great as top 6 forwards. I don't buy Burke's version as you can see.

number72 is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
  #74
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,847
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
if burke doesnt improve the club tomorrow say good bye to the playoffs again

Leaf Lander is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
  #75
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I think Burke realize he has no chance at signing quality players. As these players want to go to team that in their opinion have a more credible and realistic rebuild plan.

But Burke has said, he doesn't want more small forwards - small I presume like Kessel and Grabbo are not that great as top 6 forwards. I don't buy Burke's version as you can see.
If you buy that Kessel is not a great top 6 forward then I can understand why.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.