HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypothetical: Would you be happy trading MDZ for JVR?

View Poll Results: Would you be happy trading MDZ for JVR?
Yes - Trade MDZ for JVR 15 16.30%
No - Keep MDZ 73 79.35%
I just want to see the results of the poll 4 4.35%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Well, I believe that McDonagh is the better defenseman, that's for sure. But Erik Karlsson just won the Norris over a much better defensively Shea Weber. Offense rules.
Not always, in fact it had been trending the opposite the past few years. Green got snubbed twice for two 70 pt seasons.

Karlsson got it because he was the best player on his team, by a landslide(which couldn't be said about Green). He was also FAR ahead offensively than anyone else in the league at his position.

I still think Weber should have won it. But, in context, its not crazy to give Karlsson the award.

Now Lidstrom winning it the year previously? That was a bunch of crap...

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:58 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
would you guys trade DZ for L.Schenn IF the Rangers had another offensive Dman in the system?
Schenn is one of the most overrated young d-men in the game. That's what happens when you play in Toronto. You could throw a damn scarecrow out there and Toronto fans would call it a top 4 d-man.

The Leafs won that trade but there's no way in hell I'd give up MDZ for JVR or Schenn. Not even if we had another offensive d-man in the pipeline.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:00 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
I wonder how many people on this board would trade Del Zotto straight up for a signed Schultz? I have a feeling it'd be a disturbing number of people.
Hmm.. An NHL proven player vs a guy that's never stepped foot on NHL ice. Yep, Schultz would win by a landslide.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:02 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Hmm.. An NHL proven player vs a guy that's never stepped foot on NHL ice. Yep, Schultz would win by a landslide.

According to most people on this board, Schultz is better than DZ and can replace his minutes, defense, offense and everything else that comes with being a defenseman. I ignored the Schultz thread.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:28 PM
trilobyte

No, definitely not. I believe, as I always have, that Michael Del Zotto will be a huge plus to the Rangers.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

First of all, if Alex Goligoski can get James Neal and Matt Niskanen, why would a better D-man in MDZ only be able to secure an inferior player in JVR straight up, especially when Neal had already established himself as a better player even before the deal? MDZ for JVR in a 1-for-1 deal would be a horrible deal for the Rangers.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:33 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
As of today, there is no one on the Rangers who is NHL proven who has a similar skill set to MDZ. It would be a big mistake to trade him unless it was for an unbelievable return.
I haven't posted much and its early, but this.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I really like Del Zotto and I don't understand why a lot of people are looking to trade him. But I think van Riemsdyk is a lot better than most of you do and I would be tempted to do this if I thought that he was healthy and we have another offensive defenseman in the pipeline.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:29 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The pipeline means nothing. Don't count your chickens before they hatch as they say. No one knows what those players will become. We know what MDZ can do right now in the NHL and the potential that he has. We don't know what any of these guys in the pipeline can do in the NHL all we have is potential.

You never trade an NHL player because someone in the pipeline has potential to be as good or better.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:12 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89* View Post
According to most people on this board, Schultz is better than DZ and can replace his minutes, defense, offense and everything else that comes with being a defenseman. I ignored the Schultz thread.
Thats hillarious,he hasnt even played an NHL game!!! More often than not,posters on here are just ridiculous

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:15 AM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
I'd become an Islander fan if that ever happened. Del Zotto is our only offensive D-man. He's 22 years old and is coming off the best season of his career so far. Trading him would be incredibly stupid, especially for JVR.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't feel comfortable moving Del Zotto. I feel like we'll regret it greatly if we do.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:32 AM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't feel comfortable moving Del Zotto. I feel like we'll regret it greatly if we do.
Bro I'm with you. I've been one of the only advocates of keeping MDZ. I just don't see the logic in trading your 22 year old offensive D-man coming off his best season.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
Actually, quite a few people are very apprehensive of moving Del Z. Potential 60pt Dmen don't grow on trees.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I always loved calling out Laugh fans who thought Schenn was as good as Staal.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
The pipeline means nothing. Don't count your chickens before they hatch as they say. No one knows what those players will become. We know what MDZ can do right now in the NHL and the potential that he has. We don't know what any of these guys in the pipeline can do in the NHL all we have is potential.

You never trade an NHL player because someone in the pipeline has potential to be as good or better.

You may have set a speed record in contradicting yourself.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:36 PM
XLJ

Nope I wouldn't do that. I think we can get a better young forward than JVR if we traded Del Zotto.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Schenn is worse than MDZ at every facet at the game.

I think people are really starting to criminally underrate MDZ. I thought after his fantastic season he'd be getting OVERRATED, but wow this forum is really low on him.
He ended the season with two bad games so all the mouth breathers will point to those two bad games he had for why he will fail/bust and we must trade him before his stock goes down. I thank the powers that be in the universe everyday that the posters on this board don't run our org.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:56 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
You may have set a speed record in contradicting yourself.
What I'm saying is
NHL Experience + Potential > No NHL Experience + Potential

It's much more reasonable to think that someone will reach their potential when they've proven that they can perform at a high level in the NHL vs. someone who has never played an NHL game.

MDZ has already proven that he can perform at a high level in the NHL. Last season he finished in the top 20 in defensive scoring. Couple that with the fact that he's only 21 years old and that puts him ahead of anyone who hasn't played an NHL game. You don't trade trade player A because you think that player B may be better than A. Players are only expendable when someone proves that they have what it takes to take that other player's place. No one in the Rangers organization has even come close to proving that.

This isn't a situation where it's Sidney Crosby in his first year being virtually a sure thing to be a superstar. We're talking about players who would fit into the good to or possibly star categories.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:04 PM
emjking

Not comparing MDZ to Zubov in terms of skill or potential..MDZ may end up better or worse... Just have a bad feeling that letting go of MDZ so early would cause the same level of regret as when we let Zubov go ...

emjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Seriously, I don't understand why people want to get rid of MDZ so quickly.

He wouldn't be an add-on in a trade, he would be THE trade.

He played second pairing defense and put up 40 points, and he's not even 23. PLUS, unlike a lot of other offensive d-men, he's very physical as well.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Ola

No, and I think guys like MDZ, Dubi and AA are seriously undervalued around here...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Absolutely not.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
What I'm saying is
NHL Experience + Potential > No NHL Experience + Potential

It's much more reasonable to think that someone will reach their potential when they've proven that they can perform at a high level in the NHL vs. someone who has never played an NHL game.

MDZ has already proven that he can perform at a high level in the NHL. Last season he finished in the top 20 in defensive scoring. Couple that with the fact that he's only 21 years old and that puts him ahead of anyone who hasn't played an NHL game. You don't trade trade player A because you think that player B may be better than A. Players are only expendable when someone proves that they have what it takes to take that other player's place. No one in the Rangers organization has even come close to proving that.

This isn't a situation where it's Sidney Crosby in his first year being virtually a sure thing to be a superstar. We're talking about players who would fit into the good to or possibly star categories.

After you say that potential means nothing and then base your argument on your player having more potential I'm not really interested in you explaining further.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
People are looking to trade Del Zotto because IMO we have two holes that need to be filled to be true cup contenders. We need a 2nd right defenseman, and at least one more good goal scorer in our top 6 on the wing.

We have at least four NHL level left defenseman, maybe five if Tim Erixon can make the jump. And Erixon is an offensive defenseman that's in our pipeline.

At some point, you need to try and get something for Staal, McDonagh or Del Zotto. We simply won't be able to pay all three the money they'll demand soon. You can't keep three players of this caliber at one position. Staal and McDonagh are much more valuable to this team than Del Zotto. Del Zotto is not and will never put up Mike Green or Karlsson numbers IMO. He turns the puck over far too much to be an elite offensive dman. Stralman arguably looked better than him on the powerplay when it counted, too. I don't think this team would miss MDZ if it was McDonagh, Staal, Stralman and Erixon as our depth at left defenseman.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote