HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Doan won't sign until July 16 at earliest

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 10:15 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Your franchise hasnt made a dime of profit in those 16 years and has been threatened to be moved within the last 5 and when you cant sell out playoff games in the 3rd round despite cheap tickets I would call that sad...actually I would have used the word pathetic.
Guess this Wings fan forgot about the days of Joe Louis Arena not even half full for many years even with a population 20x higher then Glendale.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

This isn't speculation. My friend just got a pic with Shane Doan. He was at West Edmonton Mall shopping. Considering tomorrow is the start of free agency it kind of makes me wonder if the Oil are talking to him. He is from Halkirk which isn't to far. Doan on the Oilers would be sick!

Old
06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Some of you guys really havent paid attention to Coyotes saga.

Doan even publicly complained how lack of ownership hurt the players (thus the team).

We don't really know what is Doan looking for ?

A cup contender ? At his age most players are.
A family stability ? Coyotes or end of career if team moves.
Or turn the page and start over elsewhere.

I predict he could go Winnipeg to end it up where it all started or Edmonton like Iceonfire said. Family wize, if he like AZ but not the team uncertinity he could talk with Anaheim or LA.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Guess this Wings fan forgot about the days of Joe Louis Arena not even half full for many years even with a population 20x higher then Glendale.
Oh I havent forgotten but see we had a owner that turned things around and we are in a hockey market not in the desert. Even in those lean years with a poor team in a bad economy we probably drew more then Phoenix did.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Your franchise hasnt made a dime of profit in those 16 years and has been threatened to be moved within the last 5 and when you cant sell out playoff games in the 3rd round despite cheap tickets I would call that sad...actually I would have used the word pathetic.
Just goes to show our character you sound like a fan that is a recent bandwagonner, gets oblierated drunk at the games you attend, and mainly sit at your house watching. We've been dragged through **** for the past 4 years and we're STILL making sure people know we won't give up until we move. I'm fully aware we may move, but hey, I'm a hockey fan, not a closed minded pessimist.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Haha thanks for the reminder! Guess Go Wings is just in the midst of his glory years. Goes to show that people are naive to the business of hockey.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Oh I havent forgotten but see we had a owner that turned things around and we are in a hockey market not in the desert. Even in those lean years with a poor team in a bad economy we probably drew more then Phoenix did.
Because today's economy is just booming. I guess I should ask my boss where my bonus checks have been the past two years.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Some of you guys really havent paid attention to Coyotes saga.

Doan even publicly complained how lack of ownership hurt the players (thus the team).

We don't really know what is Doan looking for ?

A cup contender ? At his age most players are.
A family stability ? Coyotes or end ouf career if team moves.
Or turn the page and start over elsewhere.

I predict he could go Winnipeg to end it up where it all started or Edmonton like Iceonfire said. Family wize, if he like AZ but not the team uncertinity he could talk with Anaheim or LA.
Seems like you haven't really paid attention. Sounds like you catch a headline on TSN every now and then and figure you know what's going on. We face this everyday and the fact that Doan is holding out till the 8th goes to show he's in no rush to get out

Old
06-30-2012, 10:37 PM
drgregg
millenials get off

July 5th was originally put forth as the date to get the sigs in for a Nov. ballot, the 8th is 30 days from the vote and the sig deadline, it falls on a Sun. so sigs due Mon.

The other possible reason for the date is that it is one week after after UFA day.

PS wow, the unreasonable Coyote hate runs so deep all across these boards, apparently no thread is immune.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
This isn't speculation. My friend just got a pic with Shane Doan. He was at West Edmonton Mall shopping. Considering tomorrow is the start of free agency it kind of makes me wonder if the Oil are talking to him. He is from Halkirk which isn't to far. Doan on the Oilers would be sick!

Proof^^ Doan is coming to Edmonton lol

Old
06-30-2012, 10:43 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

IIRC, Doan spends the off-season in Alberta.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:44 PM
digmor crusher

He is not being loyal to the Yotes, he just does not want to leave Phoenix, enjoys living there and has deep roots there. He does not want to sign and then the franchise ends up in Quebec City or somewhere else in a year or two.

And a side comment, Phoenix looses 20-30 million a year, only way they can possibly get a new owner is if the city pays them millions per year and puts the city on precarious financial footing. Time to give it up, move somewhere else.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:49 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Seems like you haven't really paid attention. Sounds like you catch a headline on TSN every now and then and figure you know what's going on. We face this everyday and the fact that Doan is holding out till the 8th goes to show he's in no rush to get out
You got me there. Btw this is not Coyotes hate, it just sucks for me that such a great player would not like to come play in my hometown.

Also :

Quote:
"He's at that stage in his career where he has the ability to listen to other people," Maloney said. "But one thing I know for sure is I just don't believe he'd sign somewhere else without giving us a chance."

Maloney tried to execute a deal before Sunday, but the uncertainty of how long the Coyotes would remain in Arizona was an obstacle in negotiations.

"By no means does it indicate he's going elsewhere," Maloney said. "I think we're going through a process right now. I think, really, it's more Shane. This has nothing to do with economics at all. It's about his comfort doing a shorter- or long-term deal."

Source
Quote:
"They have been unbelievably open and honest and great with me and I can't say enough about how good they've been," Doan told radio station Arizona Sports 620. "And yet their hands are so tied with the whole stumbling block that keeps popping up with the team, and that is frustrating. I'd love for it to be the whole time in Phoenix. I've made no bones about that. I've really enjoyed my time here and like it here and this is where my family is from and it's what we want to do.

"But at the same time, it's such a unique and difficult situation."

Source
Quote:
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney believes Phoenix can still sign Doan despite the ownership issues.

"We feel confident we can re-sign him. It's just a matter of getting a little more clarity, hopefully when Greg Jamison's group may be able to take over the team.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it'll happen by July 1, so now you run the risk of going to July 1 and some of my good friends in the general managers seats saying 'Let me just see if I can make it more expensive for the Coyotes' or make a legitimate offer."

Source
I invite you to BOH to learn more about ''process'' ''comfort of short or long term'' ''ownership issues'' ''Greg Jamison''.

Last edited by powerstuck: 06-30-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Broken link
Old
06-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
IIRC, Doan spends the off-season in Alberta.
He lives in Phoenix. He has a house there with his family. Spending the off-season in Alberta doesn't make sense. He could have just been visiting his parents, that's what he told my friend. But doing so the day before free agency seems odd.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:57 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
He lives in Phoenix. He has a house there with his family. Spending the off-season in Alberta doesn't make sense. He could have just been visiting his parents, that's what he told my friend. But doing so the day before free agency seems odd.
Having a house somewhere doesn't means you will play there. Many players (I would say most but don't have proof of) have residences in their home towns (home by being place of birth or childhood).

I'm gonna speak about a local player, Simon Gagné who has a mansion in Lac Beauport yet it does not means he will play for Habs or Nordiques (when they get back). (TehMansion)

Old
06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
doaner

Quote:
He is not signing a contract for a week, so time and location don't matter too much at the moment.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:12 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Sad franchise
I'm not avoiding the insult, but what a hypocritical comment. Our town may not generate a lot of hockey fans, but we've had more success in the past 16 years (our whole existence!) than yours has had in 30.
Not really. TO has had 4 conference finals appearances in the past 20 years. PHNX has had a single run (this year).

Do your research.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM
drgregg
millenials get off

Quote:
Do you know anything about July temperatures in Phoenix?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:28 PM
drgregg
millenials get off

Some thoughts from Doan:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/sports/spor...x-coyotes-deal

"As a player and someone that has been here the whole time, it would be so enjoyable, I would be so happy for it to be done," said Doan.

"Players want to come and play in Phoenix, they do. They want to come to the Valley and live in the Valley. The season ends and all of a sudden I get phone calls from everybody that I've played with or become friends with that are like 'Hey, I'm coming to the Valley to play golf or do this,'" commented Doan.

"They hired me to do a job when I was 18 and that was to win the Stanley Cup and we've never won a Stanley Cup, so I haven't really done my job until that happens, so I want to win and I want to win here," said Doan.

Discuss.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:05 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
His options will be limited by July 8, I think.
limited yes.
I dont see competitive teams waiting for him. If he waits that long there is no reason to even bother testing the market. Rosters are set around July 3rd... after that you get the august trade flurry but thats it.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:22 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
Some thoughts from Doan:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/sports/spor...x-coyotes-deal

"As a player and someone that has been here the whole time, it would be so enjoyable, I would be so happy for it to be done," said Doan.

"Players want to come and play in Phoenix, they do. They want to come to the Valley and live in the Valley. The season ends and all of a sudden I get phone calls from everybody that I've played with or become friends with that are like 'Hey, I'm coming to the Valley to play golf or do this,'" commented Doan.

"They hired me to do a job when I was 18 and that was to win the Stanley Cup and we've never won a Stanley Cup, so I haven't really done my job until that happens, so I want to win and I want to win here," said Doan.

Discuss.
What a great attitude. It would be so easy to eventually try your luck with a different, more competitive franchise, especially since Doan is the kind of player that every team with Cup aspirations covets. Instead, he wants to get the job done in Phoenix. So much respect.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:28 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
on one hand, yes, this may limit his options.

on the other hand, the price will be set after parise/semin and PAP sign (he should slot somewhere in between IMO), and the teams who lose out on those two players will still be lusting after him.

anyone know if he's had that sit-down with jaimeson yet that he was supposed to have this week.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Sad franchise, that was one series win away from the Stanley Cup Final just months ago eh?
You have no doubt heard about the off ice issues of the Coyotes.

15 years, Doan has 15 goals in 55 playoff games. That is a sad franchise record with a sad franchise story. The NHL owns them.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:32 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
limited yes.
I dont see competitive teams waiting for him. If he waits that long there is no reason to even bother testing the market. Rosters are set around July 3rd... after that you get the august trade flurry but thats it.
With the limited amount of talent available, rosters won't be set by July 3. Unless something ridiculous happens tomorrow, the Canucks will have cap space and room for a top 6 winger.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:36 AM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I've been following the Coyotes saga on the BoH board for a long time and AFAIK July 8th isn't really a significant date.
Actually it is. Its the date that 1.) the new lease with Greg Jamison goes into affect. 2. Thats the date signatures are due for the petitions for refurendums.

Closed Thread