HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke Marching marching in the Pride Parade tomorrow

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Why aren't we in on Parise? Is he another one of those "not Burke's type of player".
burke likes defense young goalies and 4th line forwards

Old
06-30-2012, 10:41 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If you buy that Kessel is not a great top 6 forward then I can understand why.

Parise is the best forward available in the ufa, so no I don't buy the he is too small for the league or the leafs. And so if Burke thinks Parise is too small to be effective in the NHL than I presume he must think that Kessel and Grabbo are too small and not "burke type player"

Old
06-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KILLER93 View Post
Sorry about the confusion. You should certainly feel proud about who are as a person and feel open to express yourself if you choose.I also feel it is important to send a strong public message that any form of discrimation is not to be tolerated however I just don't feel a parade is correct stage to send that message.I feel it serves to bring more disparity amongst the community as a whole. I think a parade should be used to unite people and not to boast a particular group of peoples.The gay community is special however no more special than the non gay community.
You should go to the Pride week festivities. My introduction to this came from two sources. A client who travelled here from out of town for Pride week because he felt, living in Texas, that he could not express himself there safely who felt totally supported and comfortable in Toronto for the first time ever, and through the son of one of my best friends, who pretty much felt the same thing.

It's a celebration of people being allowed to be who they are. In much of the world, being who they are is a condemnation, and maybe even a death sentence. The fact that they close 4 blocks of Church street for a week, and during that week people who would feel uncomfortable or unsafe anywhere else in the world come here to be accepted for who they are, is a fantastic thing and a great tribute to our city.

You should go. No one will bother you. It's a great party. I guarantee you will be struck by how moved many young people are that they can finally just be them when they are in that 4 block zone. It's amazing. They need our support and the world is a better place for accepting them.

It's cool. And we can all still get up on July 2 and be truculent. It's ok.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
if burke doesn't want to work on canada day then imo he should be fired july 2nd

Old
06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Why aren't we in on Parise? Is he another one of those "not Burke's type of player".
Anyone who thinks that has never seen Parise play a game of hockey.

He is a fantastic 2way player and a grinder. He just has the hands of a superstar forward.
We aren't really in on Parise because we aren't likely to be on his list of choice destinations.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
if burke doesn't want to work on canada day then imo he should be fired july 2nd
It is 30 - 45 mins out of a 24 hour day. Nonis can handle negations for that short time.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Tweekin
Too much Pressure!

Quote:

Old
06-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
if burke doesnt improve the club tomorrow say good bye to the playoffs again
How easy do you think it will be to improve the team tomorow?
There are 2 big name UFAs. Both will be drastically overpaid because of the weak market and both dont seem to have us on their list of choice destinations.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
if burke doesnt improve the club tomorrow say good bye to the playoffs again
When Burke was hired MLSE thought they were getting a big fish in a small GM pond by making him the highest paid GM at $3mil per and letting him go to work reshaping the team quickly behind his experience and their financial backing and a UFA market ripe for the picking annually.

What MLSE has now realized is they bought themselves a small fish in a big pond, and while all the marquee prized UFAs go elsewhere year after year, Burke is left fishing in the shallow end for the leftovers, and the disappointing team results of his perennial bottom 10 teams bare the fruits of his hard work.

So that is why Burke feels he can take the start of the UFA season off joining a parade down Toronto streets enjoying himself, instead of working the phones trying to land Parise, Brodeur and Suter.

He knows he isn't a player on the prize fish that could reshape Leafs fortunes dramatically, and there is plenty of time to scoop up the left over minnows by overpaying them as we have all seen with his UFA track record to date. If they don't work out he can just buy them out or send them to the AHL to remove them.

So hope Burke enjoys the time off and the sunshine tomorrow, as his fellow GMs in Pittsburgh and Detroit try to reel in the big fish and compete for the Stanley Cup. Everyone has different priorities in Life and Burke is choosing his here, perhaps to the determent of his own career in the end.

06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
UFancyHuh

weren't 3/4 of LACK UFA signings? they hvnt worked out too well under burke for whatever reason.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

This year's crop sucks anyways so not a big loss if we don't get anyone anyway. Parise and Suter would cost a lot and both of them, while being an elite addition, would only be adding to positions of depth. It'd be nice if we got one of them but thankfully we're deep at wing and D so we should be okay if we don't get them.

Moen is also off the market which stinks, same with Biron Vokoun and Harding..who really is there to sign? Prust?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:06 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
When Burke was hired MLSE thought they were getting a big fish in a small GM pond by making him the highest paid GM at $3mil per and letting him go to work reshaping the team quickly behind his experience and their financial backing and a UFA market ripe for the picking annually.

What MLSE has now realized is they bought themselves a small fish in a big pond, and while all the marquee prized UFAs go elsewhere year after year, Burke is left fishing in the shallow end for the leftovers, and the disappointing team results of his perennial bottom 10 teams bare the fruits of his hard work.

So that is why Burke feels he can take the start of the UFA season off joining a parade down Toronto streets enjoying himself, instead of working the phones trying to land Parise, Brodeur and Suter.

He knows he isn't a player on the prize fish that could reshape Leafs fortunes dramatically, and there is plenty of time to scoop up the left over minnows by overpaying them as we have all seen with his UFA track record to date. If they don't work out he can just buy them out or send them to the AHL to remove them.

So hope Burke enjoys the time off and the sunshine tomorrow, as his fellow GMs in Pittsburgh and Detroit try to reel in the big fish and compete for the Stanley Cup. Everyone has different priorities in Life and Burke is choosing his here, perhaps to the determent of his own career in the end.
Just because you're articulate doesn't mean you're right. You're post fell apart at it's thesis

Old
06-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Anyone who thinks that has never seen Parise play a game of hockey.

He is a fantastic 2way player and a grinder. He just has the hands of a superstar forward.
We aren't really in on Parise because we aren't likely to be on his list of choice destinations.
It was a poor attempt at sarcasm :/

Old
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
It's awesome that Burkie does this. Nonis is the guy for signings and the march probably isn't an all day thing anyway. It's good for the team, the organization and obviously it's an important thing personally for Burke to do as well.
It is not good for the team, or the organization. It's good for Burke and Burke alone. For the second year in a row he's got to prove what a great guy he is by ignoring his job for the sake of non hockey publicity stunts. I fail to see how having the GM shooting water guns while sporting a banana sling on a parade float is in any way beneficial to the organization on any day, let alone on the opening of free agency. Burke is a grandstanding self promoter above all else, and this is just another example of him putting his own needs ahead of the team. The ruse is that being good citizens will lead to a good organization, but so far being the sort of good organization that cares about gays, lesbians and soldiers has done nothing to make us a better hockey team. We haven't been able to attract flies in free agency for the longest time, and I doubt having our gm involved in this stuff is going to have any impact on that. I'm personally happy for Burke that he's able to use his position to champion worthwhile causes, but not when it's at the expense of his job. If he wants to honor his son he can be the first father of a gay kid to manage a stanley cup champ, and then enjoy a parade. I'm getting pretty sick of this, and I've always been fairly supportive of the job he's done but enough is enough.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
It is not good for the team, or the organization. It's good for Burke and Burke alone. For the second year in a row he's got to prove what a great guy he is by ignoring his job for the sake of non hockey publicity stunts. I fail to see how having the GM shooting water guns while sporting a banana sling on a parade float is in any way beneficial to the organization on any day, let alone on the opening of free agency. Burke is a grandstanding self promoter above all else, and this is just another example of him putting his own needs ahead of the team. The ruse is that being good citizens will lead to a good organization, but so far being the sort of good organization that cares about gays, lesbians and soldiers has done nothing to make us a better hockey team. We haven't been able to attract flies in free agency for the longest time, and I doubt having our gm involved in this stuff is going to have any impact on that. I'm personally happy for Burke that he's able to use his position to champion worthwhile causes, but not when it's at the expense of his job. If he wants to honor his son he can be the first father of a gay kid to manage a stanley cup champ, and then enjoy a parade. I'm getting pretty sick of this, and I've always been fairly supportive of the job he's done but enough is enough.
So when you define someone supporting this cause by referring to him as shooting water guns while wearing a banana sling, you pretty much define who you are.

Just sayin.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Your definitely not alone with that opinion. I just think it's hilarious that all of these things he is a part of, fall on arguably the most important day of the off-season The trip to Afghanistan last year and now the parade. I'm not fully against him participating in it tomorrow, but I hate the fact that he leaves it up to his "assistants" to deal with for another year in a row. I would like to know that the GM of my team is on the phones personally to attract FA's (even if it is a "weak" group), but oh well.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

So you are deathly agaionst the man signing a free agent because it blocks the way of playing the kidds, but yet flame him for not taking part in 45 minutes of overpaying overhyped players?

The best thing Burke can do tomorrow is turn off his phone, and make offers to no one. OK, maybe to 2 players, but that's it.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
mooseOAK*

Burke will say that they have a plan with names and numbers and he really doesn't need to be there in person, like he has said the past two years.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:26 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I just want him to do his job.
I fully support his philanthropy, as long as it's during his free time. Not during the most important day of the year for his job.
Things happen FAST during free agent frenzy, and this "walk at lunch" could quite possibly get in the way of a major signing.
How? Nonis has the authority to make deals so if Burke is out of the office for an hour Nonis can do the work. They will have worked out beforehand who they are after and what they are willing to pay and Nonis can easily handle it for the time that Burke is out of the office. Even if an issue came up that Nonis had to speak to him about all he has to do it text, email, or call him and Burke can communicate via cell phone.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:31 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KILLER93 View Post
I have zero issues with someones sexual orientation. It doesn't bother me one bit how someone else leads their life. People who are gay will tell you that it is not a choice but rather the way they were born.The "choice" in lies in how one then chooses to lead their life.
That said, I disagree with the notion of the Gay Pride Parade. All I ever hear about is the need for equality. I fail to see how a parade accomplishes this...

The parade evolved out of protests against the bathhouse raids that took place in 1981. Those were considered discriminatory and, as the protests evolved into a parade, it became about awareness and equality.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Tweekin
Too much Pressure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Even if an issue came up that Nonis had to speak to him about all he has to do it text, email, or call him and Burke can communicate via cell phone.
Didn't you read the above post, he will be too busy with water guns to answer the phone that he won't have because there is no where to put it in his "banana sling" Some of the posters on here are showing their true colors, not only sheer ignorance of what the Parade is / represents (for Burke or the LGBT community) but the perceived necessity of the entire management team to sit in some bunker surrounded by phones and computers in order to sign players.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Just because you're articulate doesn't mean you're right. You're post fell apart at it's thesis
The sign of good GM is one that prioritizes what is best for the company he works for, and team he manages ahead of his own personal ones. IMO

There is no "I" in team as the saying goes, but there is in pride.

Therefore to me a Stanley Cup Parade should come before Gay Pride Parade when a GM is prioritizing his daily responsibilities.

But to each his own, its not my job on the line but his and this is a crucial season ahead the results of which will effect him personally. If he feels his time is best spent on other activities like this one, rather than reshaping the Leafs, that is his choice.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:33 PM
colchar

Quote:
Burke isn't big on trying to improve the team on big days, such as the beginning of free agency
Can you blame him for not overreacting on a day on which GMs traditionally overpay? People complain about bad contracts so why get into the frenzy and hand out more?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:35 PM
colchar

Quote:

How about the length of contract he is likely to want? How about the salary he is likely to get?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Winreims

Not to put down Nonis or anything, because I think he was very capable as a GM, but he wasn't known for his time in Vancouver as a real go getter with regards to acquiring free agents. I think his best FA signing in 3 seasons with the Canucks was Anson Carter ... Now I know he is not the Leafs GM, and there are numerous executives at work tomorrow, but it's IMO that Burke should be there at noon.

Closed Thread