HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Free Agency 2012 (7/1/12)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 11:22 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Rangers gave Brad Richards a 9 year deal worth $60M last summer (AAV of $6.67). With signing bonuses, Richards will earn $24M in the first two years of his contract, then he will earn $9M in year three, $8.5M in years four and five, $7M in year six, and then drops to $1M in the final three years.

This could be the final year that teams could offer deals like that, so if the Kings want to impress Parise and his reps, they may have to make a big splash like the Rangers did with Brad Richards.
If Parise signs here, he will be no doubt have to leave several better offers on the table because the Kings won't outbid the Wild or Penguins (at the very least)

Old
06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Dennis Bernstein‏@DennisTFP

Text just received from NHL agent (not Newport Sports) saying Kings will be all in on Zach Parise 'want him very badly'. We'll see.
looks like zach to me
And here we go.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Penner will be let go if Parise signs with the Kings tomorrow. But it is an upgrade (no **** Sherlock)...although I really wish we could have returned the entire team to defend the Cup.
And I'd imagine Dean has been very up front with Penner about that scenario as well.

As great as Penner was in the playoffs, he was so, so bad during the regular season. He's the one guy even after the Cup win I'm still having heartburn about seeing back and I think Dean is as well, mainly because Dean just doesn't "reward" poor effort. There was way too much lack of effort in the regular season to completely wash away with a great playoff run. Players sense that as well I'm sure. While they'll be bummed to see him go, Parise is a night and day upgrade in the effort department.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:30 PM
johnjm22

If the Kings somehow signed Parise to a Kovalchuk type contract, they'd still have around 4m-5M in cap space.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:34 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
If Parise signs here, he will be no doubt have to leave several better offers on the table because the Kings won't outbid the Wild or Penguins (at the very least)
Kings supposedly matched the Rangers offer for Brad Richards, and he's making 12M per season right now.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Next summer, the Kings will have a little over $48M committed to 12 players (including Quick's new contract).
RFA's in 2013 will be Clifford, Lewis, Nolan, Martinez, Voynov, Bernier.
UFA's in 2013 will be Gagne, Richardson, Scuderi, Drewiske.

If the cap ceiling remains at $70M, that gives the Kings $22M in cap space next summer to re-sign six players, with four holes to fill. If Parise is signed between $6-7M, they'll have three spots to fill and still have about $15-16M to re-sign six players. It is feasible to entertain the thought.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:41 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
If we get PAP you better dream of LA winning Cups and Kopi hitting 100 points.

And wow, Nash is not worth Schenn and Couturier. Hopefully Homer isn't convinced otherwise
I think PAP benefited from playing with Tavares, not saying he's useless without him but Tavares definitely helped him.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:42 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Replace Parise's name with Kovalchuk's in re: to Ekland's info and it all sounds way too familiar. I'll go into tomorrow expecting Penner to be re-signed and hopefully Parise and Suter not signing on the same team and I'll be happy with that. If something crazy happens, then I'll be surprised as anyone.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:43 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Welcome to salary cap hell in a year if Parise signs with Kings. Totally worth it if the stacked Kings raise the Cup again in 2013.
I'm not getting my hopes up but we all know Dean looks years ahead when talking about free agents and keeping the core, I feel he'll have the same thoughts when fitting Parise in.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:43 PM
bobafettish*

well the kings have been in on every big UFA since DL has gotten here,
guess the media is just copy and pasting from the years before.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I'm not a cap guru, so how would we fit Brown in when his contract's up if Parise signed?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
bcking

We should all know by now not to get your hopes up when it comes to the top ufa, the majority of them choose the east coast. I will be happy if all we do tomorrow is re-sign Penner.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:47 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Next summer, the Kings will have a little over $48M committed to 12 players (including Quick's new contract).
RFA's in 2013 will be Clifford, Lewis, Nolan, Martinez, Voynov, Bernier.
UFA's in 2013 will be Gagne, Richardson, Scuderi, Drewiske.

If the cap ceiling remains at $70M, that gives the Kings $22M in cap space next summer to re-sign six players, with four holes to fill. If Parise is signed between $6-7M, they'll have three spots to fill and still have about $15-16M to re-sign six players. It is feasible to entertain the thought.
I think it's got to be near or under $6MM AAV for Parise. Wingers aren't centers or #1 D. $6.5+ AAV is too much for a winger (that'd be ~1.2MM/yr more than Carter makes, and I don't know how you justify that). I don't think Parise should be paid much more AAV than Carter who is at 5.2MM.

If I'm Parise, and I get offered a Quick-like contract to play for the Kings, I take that deal in a heartbeat if his #1 priority is trying to win sometime in the next few years. If the Pens offer Parise a similar deal, then I think it's a much tougher choice and the Penguins probably have an edge with the easier travel, the easier adjustment to another East team and let's face it - aside from the debatable question marks in net, they've got as stacked a team as any and are locks for making a run every year.

The Kings have as good a chance as anyone to contend as well and they can offer a lot of stability within the roster. All the biggest impact players are all signed long-term. That's a pretty rare carrot to dangle.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:47 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Welcome to salary cap hell in a year if Parise signs with Kings. Totally worth it if the stacked Kings raise the Cup again in 2013.
amount cap left players
Parise 6.7 14.8 13
King .850 13.95 14
Nolan .850 13.1 15
Richards 1.2 11.9 16
Scuds 3.0 8.9 17
Clifford 1.0 7.9 18
Voynov 2.0 5.9 19
Martinez .850 5.05 20
Manch
Goalie .650 4.4 21
DD2 .850 3.55 22
penner 2.5 1.05 23

Thats keeping Penner and signing Parise. And say the CBA makes it 50/50 the new cap would still equal about what the cap is at this year. And that assumes that there is no type of relief in the CBA for contracts signed before it went into effect. Which there will need to be. This is keeping the team together and adding problem is could we actually get Parise at 6.7. But say we signed him a 7 if they gave a credit for the 7% his cap hit would actually be 6.51.
We wouldn't have any room to do anything except what we would get in relief but it would add up. Just going off the contracts signed without the addition of some of these that would be signed before it would be 4.6 so we would have close to 6 mil under the cap. It is also giving a few players raises that are high.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I'm not a cap guru, so how would we fit Brown in when his contract's up if Parise signed?
The Kings will have over $30M in cap space by that time, but that is with the assumption that the cap is at $70M+ and does not including RFA signings. With Parise in the mix, the Kings will still have a lot of cap flexibility.

Also, don't forget that Brown already is earning a little over $3M. I don't think his next contract will be significantly higher than that. Maybe $2M more for a cap hit of $5M.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:51 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I think it's got to be near or under $6MM AAV for Parise. Wingers aren't centers or #1 D. $6.5+ AAV is too much. I don't think Parise should be paid much more AAV than Carter.

If I'm Parise, and I get offered a Quick-like contract to play for the Kings, I take that deal in a heartbeat if his #1 priority is trying to win sometime in the next few years. If the Pens offer Parise a similar deal, then I think it's a much tougher choice and the Penguins probably have an edge.

The Kings have as good a chance as anyone to do that again and they can offer a lot of stability within the roster. All the biggest impact players are all signed long-term. That's a pretty rare carrot to dangle.
I would hope he goes there but since he made 6 this year just going off the cap increase would be around 6.6.
But the problem is the amount of money Det has they can offer both Parise and Suter 8 mil each and not even blink.

Old
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure Dean has it all figured out.

Old
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,6965191.story
Quote:
Kings President and General Manager Dean Lombardi has a way of crunching the numbers with his staff but joked a few days ago that he felt with free agency approaching he was "staring at that board in 'Beautiful Mind,' except nothing is calculating."

Old
06-30-2012, 11:57 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Brown will probably get a deal ending in 2018 or 2021 (Dean's got major deals structured to all end on different years. 2021 and 2018 are "open" slots at present. I'd imagine he'll continue taking a hometown discount and will probably sign for an AAV in the ~$5MM range, probably a 1.5-2MM premium over what he's making currently.

Gagne, Richardson, and Drewiske all come off the books next year (~5MM in salary) and there are kids in Manchester that can easily fill all of the bottom 6 holes. Scuderi will need to be replaced or extended. No real savings there. In any case, so long as the Kings don't mind being a cap team for the next several years (and Phil has already told Leiweke that he has a blank check to spend for the foreseeable future thanks to the Cup win and a wife who is a die-hard Kings fan), it's not going to be a problem.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcking View Post
We should all know by now not to get your hopes up when it comes to the top ufa, the majority of them choose the east coast. I will be happy if all we do tomorrow is re-sign Penner.
Here is the difference this year:

The Stanley Cup resides on the West Coast.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:10 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
I would hope he goes there but since he made 6 this year just going off the cap increase would be around 6.6.
Doesn't matter what his salary will be. It's all about average annual value (AAV) of his new deal. $6MM was a one year contract. Remember Parise was rumored to be leaving Jersey LAST year but wound up signing a one year deal instead. The contract's AAV will likely be around that again as Parise will get a contract structured similar to Quick's. Front-loaded with a few years at the end tacked on to lower his overall cap hit.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:38 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
If Parise signs with the Penguins, I have a feeling we are going to see the Flyers do something REALLY stupid
Like signing Scott Parse to a 10 year deal with a $6.66M cap hit???

Old
07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Doesn't matter what his salary will be. It's all about average annual value (AAV) of his new deal. $6MM was a one year contract. Remember Parise was rumored to be leaving Jersey LAST year but wound up signing a one year deal instead. The contract's AAV will likely be around that again as Parise will get a contract structured similar to Quick's. Front-loaded with a few years at the end tacked on to lower his overall cap hit.
When are these contracts considered cap circumvention?

Old
07-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
When are these contracts considered cap circumvention?
The Kovalchuk contract was deemed as a cap circumventing move, which will cost the Devils a first round pick (and they were also levied with a hefty fine). I guess it depends on what lengths a team will go. That original 17 year deal made a mockery of these other contracts that we've seen over the years.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
Brown will probably get a deal ending in 2018 or 2021 (Dean's got major deals structured to all end on different years. 2021 and 2018 are "open" slots at present. I'd imagine he'll continue taking a hometown discount and will probably sign for an AAV in the ~$5MM range, probably a 1.5-2MM premium over what he's making currently.

Gagne, Richardson, and Drewiske all come off the books next year (~5MM in salary) and there are kids in Manchester that can easily fill all of the bottom 6 holes. Scuderi will need to be replaced or extended. No real savings there. In any case, so long as the Kings don't mind being a cap team for the next several years (and Phil has already told Leiweke that he has a blank check to spend for the foreseeable future thanks to the Cup win and a wife who is a die-hard Kings fan), it's not going to be a problem.
I gotta think Scuderi is gonna be replaced for cheap internally. Hopefully Forbort, but with Muzzin, Hickey etc.. all in the pipe that would leave us with some definite options internally.

Not saying those kids could provide the same role, but the talent is there to still have a talented 6 defensemen, maybe not ideal but still should be more then good enough.

Between these top 5 defensemen: Doughty, Mitchell, Martinez, Voynov, and Greene. We could certainly find a 6th defensemen in Forbort, Hickey, and Muzzin plus the rest of our pipeline.

Closed Thread