HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds re-sign Gaustad 4 years 13 million.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:55 PM
tserberis*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I like Gaustad for what he brings. I don't like him nearly that much. The money is crazy, but ever since Sammy Pahlsson had his great run in the 2007 playoffs, defensive forwards have become exponentially more expensive. Personally, I would rather put that money towards a guy who knows which end of the proverbial gun makes the loud noises, but Goose will be useful and consistent.

Let's just hope the new CBA doesn't dramatically slash the players' share, or this deal could look really, really bad...
I doubt it'll go below 52%

57 now, they'll drop 5. That is it, and maybe make it fixed.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:07 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
If the cba shrinks the players share of the revenue and makes the cap go down there will either be a corresponding percentage markdown of all existing salaries(like in the last cba) or more likely allowances made for cap exemptions for contracts signed before the new cba

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:30 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Seems like Poile is will trying to make up for trading a 1st round pick for him.

"yeah we had no 1st rounder, but we got a solid contributed for 4 years (even though I overplayed big to acquire him and to extend him, don't worry about that though."

This signing smacks of Florida having to overpay FAs in order to reach the cap floor. Good times in Nashville.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I totally agree we need to find a #1C, but that doesn't make this a bad signing. If anything, I think this helps. We can now deal Fisher or Legwand (more likely Legwand) and still have (whoever we get), Fisher, Goose, and Spaling as our centers, plus Wilson and Smith both can play down the middle.

Speaking of which, don't forget that Smith could progress into a #1C if we cant find one.
In what parallel universe is this that Poile and Trotz trade Legwand or Fisher? I would be looking for the coming of the apocalypse if either were dealt.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't get why anyone would think it's potentially a sign of Poile trying to save face for the pick he gave up. If you think you looked bad after the trade why make yourself look even worse with an overpayment for a guy you don't think you need? We're talking about the same guy who realized his mistakes with AK and Radulov, and was able to sever ties.

As I posted on the FA Forum, we're looking at an overpayment for sure. With that said, there is a lot of context missing if you simply say "overpayment". There is a need for Gaustad. He is good in the circle. He is an excellent PKer (the early, and pathetic, PK may have been the difference between 4th and 2nd seed this past year). He is a veteran that will be needed on and off the ice with a still-young team. Speaking of that young team, a lot of players on the roster next year will be on cheap contracts. If the summer turns disastrous with Suter and Weber, money HAS to go somewhere.

It's an overpayment, but not a terrible one. At least needs are filled.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Seems like Poile is will trying to make up for trading a 1st round pick for him.

"yeah we had no 1st rounder, but we got a solid contributed for 4 years (even though I overplayed big to acquire him and to extend him, don't worry about that though."

This signing smacks of Florida having to overpay FAs in order to reach the cap floor. Good times in Nashville.
3.25mil on an over 70.2 million cap ... 54.2 mil floor. His deal is 5.9% of the cap floor ... meaning if the team average salary equaled his we'd barely be over the midpoint. Meanwhile, Gill is signed at $2mil per season ... with both of them signed we're still at about 15-16mil to the cap floor with 15 players under contract. Suter and Weber at $8mil per on average puts us at the floor. Hmmmmmm

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Legwand still has the same NTC he had the last time he was mentioned as a possible player to trade.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:41 AM
ChesterCopperpot1*

I look at it like us not wanting to get nothing for that first rounder we traded.

I like the signing, yeah it's a little much for a 4th line center but all accounts point to us being a cap team, well according to a tweet by Coop, we were 32 million under said cap. Gotta spend it somewhere.

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

That is ALOT of money for Gaustad

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:17 AM
INDhockeyfan

I am fine with this signing. It may be overpayment but 4 yrs from now it won't look as bad as everyone's salary is going to go up. Gaustad fills a need for the team. He's one of the best faceoff guys in the league and we are a team that wins or loses by 1 goal most of the time. He'll win us some games just by getting us possession in the 3rd period.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:18 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That is ALOT of money for Gaustad
a Rangers fan has ZERO room to criticize any team for overpayments, EVER

(yes I know you like the Preds too, but still.....)

Old
07-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Jarnberg

Remember this when we do not have the budget to upgrade scoring.

Legwand $4.5 million
Fisher $4.2 million
Gaustad $3.25 million

Sure they are good defensive players. But where is scoring down the middle? It would be nice to have just one of those guys and use the remaining 7-9 million on scoring.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:48 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
a Rangers fan has ZERO room to criticize any team for overpayments, EVER

(yes I know you like the Preds too, but still.....)
An overpayment is an overpayment. I didn't like it when the Rangers did it and I'm not gonna like it when the Preds do it. I like it when the Penguins do it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
An overpayment is an overpayment. I didn't like it when the Rangers did it and I'm not gonna like it when the Preds do it. I like it when the Penguins do it.
fair enough.. but I made a long post in the Trade/Free Agent board Gaustad thread that I won't copy and paste here but will summarize..

this team had a need... options to fill that need were players up and coming in the system (Latta?), trade(not likely) or UFA.

we already know for sure what we are getting in Goose, and apparently he fills the need quite well, and so IMO its a hell of a gamble if you let him walk.... the only way you come out ahead is if you find a player who fills the need just as well AND is willing to play in Nashville for less money than what Gaustad wanted... otherwise the "overpayment" is actually money well spent

Old
07-01-2012, 08:01 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
We're talking about the same guy who realized his mistakes with AK and Radulov, and was able to sever ties.

What mistakes? They delivered in hockey aspect. They were 1 and 3 in scoring.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:12 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

this signing open up some options in the bottom six. Now we have a solid young bottom six guy that can be dealt in a package without any problem. Couple that with a young puck mover (blum, ekholm, or both) and a wilson or smith and you have a trade package for an elite talent.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:24 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Legwand $4.5 million
Fisher $4.2 million
Gaustad $3.25 million

Sure they are good defensive players. But where is scoring down the middle? It would be nice to have just one of those guys and use the remaining 7-9 million on scoring.
We complain about their scoring, yet Fisher and Legwand are both in the top 30 scoring centers for last season (29th and 26th) ... Fisher was the 14th highest goal scoring center in the league with Legwand 30th in that category.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Goose! I'm fine with it. If we were hamstrung by the cap, might be a different issue.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
We complain about their scoring, yet Fisher and Legwand are both in the top 30 scoring centers for last season (29th and 26th) ... Fisher was the 14th highest goal scoring center in the league with Legwand 30th in that category.
Yet neither provide the dynamic scoring needed in the playoffs to take this team to the next level.

And regardless, does anyone feel like having that much money tied up in defensive centers is smart usage of money?

Last edited by Jarnberg: 07-01-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old
07-01-2012, 11:19 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Um..... Wasn't Nashville in the top 10 in scoring last year? Also Nashville uses there center like an old time rover. I wants a guy who's lIke a 3rd defenseman and with some offensive skill

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Um..... Wasn't Nashville in the top 10 in scoring last year? Also Nashville uses there center like an old time rover. I wants a guy who's lIke a 3rd defenseman and with some offensive skill
Inflated by reliance on the PP. Which in the playoffs got shut down.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:35 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I still don't see how overpaying by $500k-$750k for Gaustad is what will cripple the team in terms of finding a dynamic scoring forward. I also don't think the team absolutely needs that forward to be a center, though finding a legitimate #1C would be nice. Considering how very few of those types of forwards exist, what is the better idea? Waiting around to hope you are able to deal pieces (one of which may be Smith who would play 4th line C if Goose wasn't re-signed) for one of the few that is available, or filling a need while you can without handcuffing the team and leaving yourself open to still make that move if it arises? Signing Gaustad does not mean Poile cannot land a top line forward, so what's the big deal?

Old
07-01-2012, 11:44 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Goose has intangibles - he's faceoff skills were remarkable in the first round of the playoffs and he's reliable. Better 3.25 for him that 4.5-5 on Jokinen.
I agree. Nashville needs centers that win faceoffs. It will keep Pekka from being bombed every game. With more puck possession, more goals by the Preds.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
I am fine with this signing. It may be overpayment but 4 yrs from now it won't look as bad as everyone's salary is going to go up. Gaustad fills a need for the team. He's one of the best faceoff guys in the league and we are a team that wins or loses by 1 goal most of the time. He'll win us some games just by getting us possession in the 3rd period.
Especially if the economy picks up and the US gets big inflation. Nashville needs good centers to advance in the playoffs. Phil Espositos don't grow on trees.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:58 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Legwand $4.5 million
Fisher $4.2 million
Gaustad $3.25 million

What happens if one of those three gets hurt, retires or is traded? Who will you sign to replace them, Mike Santorelli? Who will you call up from Milwaukee to replace them? I am not expecting another Kariya to show up in the near future to boost the scoring threat and force the opponents to spread out their good defenders.