HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke Marching marching in the Pride Parade tomorrow

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 11:39 PM
colchar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
if burke doesnt improve the club tomorrow say good bye to the playoffs again
Why? Does the season start on Monday? There will still be plenty of time to improve the club via trade and it actually makes sense to wait to do so as teams that have needs but fail to land free agents will then be more willing to deal. St. Louis has openly said they need d-men and, if they strike out in free agency, Burke can try to work out a deal for them for a center, one of their goalies, or whatever else in return for someone from our d-corps.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Cmillz

To protect and acknowledge that one group had their rights infringed upon for decades is important. If laws can silence someone's personal freedoms and equality, those same laws can be used to silence all of us. The parade is a symbol of human rights and the importance that all of us get treated the same, regardless of people's moral/religious values.

If Brian Burke is doing something wrong tomorrow in your eyes, you simply don't get it and maybe never will. So my simple response is this...nothing that happens tomorrow will be impacted by Brian Burke being in a parade. There are some things far more important then free agent day...like family. This is Burke sticking by the memory of his son, shame on anyone that doesn't see it.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:40 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
You should go to the Pride week festivities. My introduction to this came from two sources. A client who travelled here from out of town for Pride week because he felt, living in Texas, that he could not express himself there safely who felt totally supported and comfortable in Toronto for the first time ever, and through the son of one of my best friends, who pretty much felt the same thing.

It's a celebration of people being allowed to be who they are. In much of the world, being who they are is a condemnation, and maybe even a death sentence. The fact that they close 4 blocks of Church street for a week, and during that week people who would feel uncomfortable or unsafe anywhere else in the world come here to be accepted for who they are, is a fantastic thing and a great tribute to our city.

You should go. No one will bother you. It's a great party. I guarantee you will be struck by how moved many young people are that they can finally just be them when they are in that 4 block zone. It's amazing. They need our support and the world is a better place for accepting them.

It's cool. And we can all still get up on July 2 and be truculent. It's ok.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
How about the length of contract he is likely to want? How about the salary he is likely to get?
This isn't an aging 2nd line winger with a bad personality we are talking about. The Zach Parise's of the world don't come along everyday. You go after this kind of player with everything you've got. That's what seperates the Leafs from numerous other teams. There's a fear to go out and spend money and give a lengthy contract to a top line player. That's one reason why we haven't been close to a playoff spot since Burke took over.. We are always content while other teams in the NHL want to improve.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Not to put down Nonis or anything, because I think he was very capable as a GM, but he wasn't known for his time in Vancouver as a real go getter with regards to acquiring free agents. I think his best FA signing in 3 seasons with the Canucks was Anson Carter ... Now I know he is not the Leafs GM, and there are numerous executives at work tomorrow, but it's IMO that Burke should be there at noon.
You make a good point.

If Nonis is left behind doing the heavy lifting, working diligently at his JOB, and not off pursuing his own personally agendas, then perhaps MLSE would be better served if Nonis were the GM and Burke his assistant.

06-30-2012, 11:48 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
You make a good point.

If Nonis is left behind doing the heavy lifting, working diligently at his JOB, and not off pursuing his own personally agendas, then perhaps MLSE would be better served if Nonis were the GM and Burke his assistant.
I'm sure MLSE is quite upset that Burke is pursuing his "own agenda"

Old
06-30-2012, 11:49 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
You make a good point.

Nonis is the de facto GM and Burke is his boss.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:50 PM
colchar

Quote:

What MLSE has now realized is they bought themselves a small fish in a big pond,

Really? And you've spoken to the Board at MLSE and they've told you this have they?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:54 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
It is not good for the team, or the organization. It's good for Burke and Burke alone. For the second year in a row he's got to prove what a great guy he is by ignoring his job for the sake of non hockey publicity stunts. I fail to see how having the GM shooting water guns while sporting a banana sling on a parade float is in any way beneficial to the organization on any day, let alone on the opening of free agency. Burke is a grandstanding self promoter above all else, and this is just another example of him putting his own needs ahead of the team.

If you think this is about Burke and his (alleged) own needs then you are seriously seriously deluded.

Quote:
I'm personally happy for Burke that he's able to use his position to champion worthwhile causes, but not when it's at the expense of his job.

If you think him being out of the office for an hour or two is going to have any effect on negotiations then you really have no idea how these things work. Nonis does the majority of the work, not Burke.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:54 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I hear Nonis is in Osooyoos. Anyone remember when Burke was in Sweden to start UFA day? Yea, me too. That was funny.

Right now, I feel this team is obviously moving well in the right direction. If the best Mess and DO and Number 63 can come up with is "why are you wasting 45 minutes of the day", things must be OK.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Winreims

Quote:
You make a good point.

If the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year, Burke won't have to worry about his job here. He won't have it. You think that might mean something to him, but it appears he's content and isn't planning to be busy on the opening day of free agency

I don't expect to get Parise, but I'd like to know that HE, not Nonis or Fletcher, Brian Burke himself was on the phones pushing to get him. But, the consenus seems to be that it's to risky to offer an eite player a lot of money and term

Old
06-30-2012, 11:59 PM
colchar

Quote:
You make a good point.

And what is this 'agenda' of which you speak?

Old
07-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

So is it Burke or Nonis making the all-worldly signings like Komi, Connolly, Beauchemin, etc?

Old
07-01-2012, 12:00 AM
colchar

Quote:
But, the consenus seems to be that it's to risky to offer an eite player a lot of money and term

I can't believe you are unable to grasp this so I will spell it out for you in two simple words - salary cap.

Now think about that for a minute.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Don't do it

07-01-2012, 12:14 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
You make a good point.

Tell us wise one, what would you like Burke to accomplish tomorrow?

Old
07-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I can't believe you are unable to grasp this so I will spell it out for you in two simple words - salary cap.

Now think about that for a minute.
Yes, because it's impossible to create cap space. No team has ever tinkered with their roster to make room for a top line player before.

Last edited by Winreims: 07-01-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old
07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Incognito

So Nonis has absolute power to sign players to contracts while Burke is unavailable? As long as someone is manning the helm tomorrow at noon, then it's fine. I'll admit, I'm a little put off by Burke neglecting his primary duty, which is to build a better hockey team in Toronto. He can blow all the hot air he wants about how being a good citizen in the community and supporting various causes will lead to success for the team, but I'm sick of hearing it. Screw the community, his responsibility is to the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs fans who go to the games to watch the team are the ones who are paying his hefty salary, and we deserve a winning product for once. We aren't paying him to be a good man and solve world hunger or wipe out AIDS, we are paying him to help the Leafs win hockey games. So he'd better either be totally available tomorrow at the drop of a hat to do the job he was hired to do, or else let Nonis have control. If the latter is the case, then I apologize for overreacting. But if not, then I've just had it up to here with Saint Burke concentrating his efforts on winning the Nobel Prize while our hockey team spends yet another season in the doldrums while spiralling to the bottom of the standings yet again.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Disgruntled Observer

Is it possible that Burke being at his office, directly available in an instant, could make a difference?
Absolutely.

I don't understand the debate here at all.
Burke should go to work on the most important day of the year for his job. The end.
There are plenty of other ways/times that he can show his support of the gay community.

It's not like this is a black and white issue of "If you go to the parade, you support the gay community. But if you don't go to the parade, regardless of the reason, you HATE the gay community".

It's the most important day of the year for his job. Go to ****ing work.

Last edited by Disgruntled Observer: 07-01-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old
07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Tell us wise one, what would you like Burke to accomplish tomorrow?
Doesn't matter what I want, all I know is the GM is off parading in the sunshine and that isn't going to accomplish anything for the hockey team by that action.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:54 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Doesn't matter what I want, all I know is the GM is off parading in the sunshine and that isn't going to accomplish anything for the hockey team by that action.
Of course it matters what you want. You want him working 24 hours tomorrow. You obviously want something done, but it has to include:

1. Play the kids.

2. Win now.

I thought what you wanted him to accomplish, was nothing at all. You are creating something out of nothing and it makes absolutely no sense at all. You are hating for the sake of hating.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Of course it matters what you want. You want him working 24 hours tomorrow. You obviously want something done, but it has to include:

1. Play the kids.

2. Win now.

I thought what you wanted him to accomplish, was nothing at all. You are creating something out of nothing and it makes absolutely no sense at all. You are hating for the sake of hating.
I don't know what Mess wants, but I would like Burke at work - at noon - tomorrow. Simple as that really. Free agency begins at noon, I believe 29 other GM's are going to be working to improve their teams (even if it is just kicking tires). I would like the GM of my team to do the same.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:

1. Play the kids.

2. Win now.

I see two scenarios happening tomorrow.

1. Leafs sign a free agent, Mess points to previous history with free agents, bashes Burke, complains about not "playing the kids"

2. Leafs don't sign a free agent, Mess points to our record, bashes Burke for not improving the team.

Burke just can't win. He would literally have to save Mess's kid from a burning building to get any thanks or props.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
People are allowed to have opinions, just like you.

I personally haven't seen any "homophobia" in this thread at all, just lighten up.

**leaves thread before labeled as homophobe, bigot
I dealt with a similar situation last year when Burke went to Afghanistan. Apparently I didn't support the troops because I would have preferred him to be in Toronto when FA started.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I don't know what Mess wants, but I would like Burke at work - at noon - tomorrow. Simple as that really. Free agency begins at noon, I believe 29 other GM's are going to be working to improve their teams (even if it is just kicking tires). I would like the GM of my team to do the same.
Don't worry, Burke knows how to play the game. The game plan is set, the scenarios practiced, and there is nothing to worry about. Everything he can do, he can do by phone.

Closed Thread