HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

"DOAN" Deal?

Old
06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Sorry. i donīt know what i was thinking, my thought was to reply here but i did new thread.

If i were Gm, i would do anything to bring Doan here, then upgrade Voracek to Ryan and bring UFA allround defender. If there is still cap, bring bottom six guy like Steve Ott, who can be pain in the ass and do some points, hit and fight.

Something like this:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Shane Doan ($5.000m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Tom Sestito ($0.605m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Jason Garrison ($3.000m) / Bryan Allen ($3.000m)
Matt Carkner ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Chris Mason ($1.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,364,444; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $835,556

Garrison and Allen is there cause i didnīt get any better ideas there, but good defenders , why not.
Put down the xbox controller...

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Per Eklund for what it's worth..posted in the worst nightmare thread as well. Pitt is annoying the crap out of me if this is true which I'm sure it is. Shero is throwing money around like no tomorrow after dumping salary..

Quote:
On Shane Doan...

No shortage of teams interested in Doan. The Flyers have come into the fray today, but favorites remain Pittsburgh and LA.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Viller

How can the Flyers have just come into the fray when they are not allowed to talk to anyone yet? ****ing rumour business is getting ****ing ridiculous and fans just eat it up.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:29 PM
bauer

Eklund is a complete moron. he just makes stuff up and people actually pay for it. it's incredible.

anyways, assuming the Flyers don't get any of the bigger names out there, Parise, Suter, Ryan, etc.. Doan would be an excellent addition. so would Ray Whitney. i'd be very happy with one (or both) of them. as far as our forwards go, i think Doan/Whitney would be an upgrade over Jagr/JVR.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:38 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
How can the Flyers have just come into the fray when they are not allowed to talk to anyone yet? ****ing rumour business is getting ****ing ridiculous and fans just eat it up.
Possible his "sources" are just telling him they are preparing an offer sheet or he's "heard" they have interest. Doesn't mean they made an official offer and to take it literally. That's my guess with his rumor..

Anyway...I'm sure Pitt will make an attempt at him just like tons of teams will so his insight is pretty much a moot point.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

So Pittsburg is either making another team or the salary cap doesnt count for them for they seem to be the front runners for EVERY SINGLE FREE AGENT.

Like honestly... every one of them...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:13 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Yup, teams aren't allowed to talk to anyone before July 1st.

Yet players will be signing complicated multi-year deals 10 minutes into free agency.

Weird, huh?

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:23 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So Pittsburg is either making another team or the salary cap doesnt count for them for they seem to be the front runners for EVERY SINGLE FREE AGENT.

Like honestly... every one of them...
Maybe the NHL told Pitt the cap doesn't apply to them so Crosby can keep winning Cups and he can be the poster boy for the NHL for the next decade.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:20 AM
SilkyMitts

definitely want doaner. on a young team, he would be a huge asset.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:05 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
Eklund is a complete moron. he just makes stuff up and people actually pay for it. it's incredible.

anyways, assuming the Flyers don't get any of the bigger names out there, Parise, Suter, Ryan, etc.. Doan would be an excellent addition. so would Ray Whitney. i'd be very happy with one (or both) of them. as far as our forwards go, i think Doan/Whitney would be an upgrade over Jagr/JVR.
He called Richards and Carter last year. He has some sources sometimes, just saying.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:13 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
He called Richards and Carter last year. He has some sources sometimes, just saying.
His source certainly trolled him when the source said that the Leafs and Flyers are having discussions. "NOT about JVR for Schenn."

20 minutes later: Confirmed with link.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Jack de la Hoya

I don't hate the idea of Doan, but I'm wary of a longer-term, 35+ contract.

But I think some here are overstating the case.

For his career, he's basically a 50-60 point player--he had one season approaching PPG average. He has hasn't scored more than 22 goals since 2008-2009. Yes, Phoenix plays a defensive system, but Doan has never been the high-end goal-scorer that I think most of us would like to see paired with Giroux.

Would he bolster our top-six? Sure. But it will basically come at the expense of Schenn, who'd likely get bumped to the third line.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Doan-Briere-Simmonds
Schenn-Couturier-Read

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:43 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I like Doan, but I'm beginning to wonder if the money ought to be spent elsewhere, say on a franchise guy, instead of a very good player for 3-4 years.

The reason why: That money will be needed to pay Roo/Schenn/Cooter, but it'll be tied up with shorter term players. The space available is best used on signing "the guy" type players, rather than expensive short-term solutions.

Perhaps the money should be spent on someone like Parise, Suter, Semin, for a long term contract, for someone who will be "the guy" or at least "an important long term piece", so that money spent is not money removed from the young core of future "the guys".

For instance: If Parise signs and the Flyers cannot, for whatever reason, make the moves necessary to keep Schenn (note the condition: That they are unable to make the moves necessary), then it isn't the worst situation: You already have that money sunk into "your guy" and not an expensive +35 contact for 3-4 years.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:03 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't hate the idea of Doan, but I'm wary of a longer-term, 35+ contract.

But I think some here are overstating the case.

For his career, he's basically a 50-60 point player--he had one season approaching PPG average. He has hasn't scored more than 22 goals since 2008-2009. Yes, Phoenix plays a defensive system, but Doan has never been the high-end goal-scorer that I think most of us would like to see paired with Giroux.

Would he bolster our top-six? Sure. But it will basically come at the expense of Schenn, who'd likely get bumped to the third line.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Doan-Briere-Simmonds
Schenn-Couturier-Read
I'd bump Simmonds to the 3rd line in that grouping rather than Schenn. Either way, I'm not concerned with some minor mix-and-matching. And we know what we're getting with Doan, not expecting 60-70-80 pts. I'd be thrilled with 55, leadership, defensive play, and 200 hits.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'd be thrilled with 55, leadership, defensive play, and 200 hits.
I think that depends where the cap hit comes in, doesn't it? Those things are great at around $4--preferably to Jagr's qualities at $3.5.

But if you start getting above $5 per year, particularly over term, for a guy who is over 35, I'm just not sure. Do you really want a $5+ cap hit on Shane Down when he's 38 or 39, potting maybe 15 goals and 25 assists per year?

Old
06-30-2012, 01:20 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I think that depends where the cap hit comes in, doesn't it? Those things are great at around $4--preferably to Jagr's qualities at $3.5.

But if you start getting above $5 per year, particularly over term, for a guy who is over 35, I'm just not sure. Do you really want a $5+ cap hit on Shane Down when he's 38 or 39, potting maybe 15 goals and 25 assists per year?
No, I'm hoping for around 4-4.5. Anything more is a bit high.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Jack de la Hoya

From the Trade Board:

Doan's agent told TFP that he won't sign with the Coyotes or any team until July 8 at the earliest.

Quote:
However, Doan isn't itching to leave the organization and "wants to give the Coyotes every opportunity" to sign him, his agent, Terry Bross, told TFP Saturday evening.

Speaking to TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta, Bross indicated the earliest his client would sign a contract -- with the Coyotes or another club -- would presumably be July 8, the date in which the Coyotes will have a clearer picture as to whether or not they'll be staying in Arizona.
Gotta wonder how this will play out in the market. Article says they'll still take offers, but won't make decisions until the 8th or later.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phx120630.html

Old
06-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Canteen Boy
Pretttty Good

IMO a player like Doan is exactly what this team needs. He'd be a Pronger replacement in the sense of his experience and leadership and his impact would be invaluable on this young team. Sign me up.

Canteen Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
King Fish

Doan is going to Pittsburg and Parise is heading to LA according o Eklund!

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canteen Boy View Post
IMO a player like Doan is exactly what this team needs. He'd be a Pronger replacement in the sense of his experience and leadership and his impact would be invaluable on this young team. Sign me up.
What experience does he have? This was the first year he made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Unless you're including all those World Championships he played in.

I'd also question a guy's leadership when he's trying to start fights in the handshake line.

Also, don't see Doan wanting to be in the same room as Bryz again.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Firestorm

I thought Doan only plays on the right side?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:01 AM
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

Also, don't see Doan wanting to be in the same room as Bryz again.
Why?

I will be more than happy if we land Doan,Tootoo, Prust.

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Why?

That team was all too quick to throw Bryz under the bus the last two years he was there. Despite being captain, he doesn't hold himself accountable.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote