HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niskanen re-signs. Two years, $2.3 per

Old
07-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Lim Ran

vCash: 500
Good signing. Welcome back, Nisky.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:15 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
It would also insure that none of the pairings are GREAT.
Honour over Glory's pairings have first pairng D-men on the first. Second pairing D men on the second. Third on the third. All og them great matches as regards characteristics, handedness, offence/defence.

I guarantee that we are not signing Suter to play him with Niskanen.

Suter/Letang would be our Pronger/Niedermayer, Suter/Weber, Lidstrom/Rafalski.... without saying that it'd be as good.
If it actually forces Bylsma to think about matchups....all the better.
And the 2nd pairings on all those teams listed were vastly better than Orpik-Niskanen.

I think the "top pairing guy" thing is bunk, because in all honestly, top 4 defensemen play pretty much the same mins. In having Letang and Suter split up, you would ensure that you're never chasing a matchup.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
It would also insure that none of the pairings are GREAT.
Honour over Glory's pairings have first pairng D-men on the first. Second pairing D men on the second. Third on the third. All og them great matches as regards characteristics, handedness, offence/defence.

I guarantee that we are not signing Suter to play him with Niskanen.

Suter/Letang would be our Pronger/Niedermayer, Suter/Weber, Lidstrom/Rafalski.... without saying that it'd be as good.
If it actually forces Bylsma to think about matchups....all the better.
Orpik and Letang have most certainly been great before (hell, Letang and Martin looked solid last year), and Suter can absolutely anchor a great pairing. Having one of them making a lesser player look that much better for virtually the whole game would be my m.o. - most good teams have more than one potent scoring line.

But hey, let's just hope we can argue about this for years to come.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And the 2nd pairings on all those teams listed were vastly better than Orpik-Niskanen.

I think the "top pairing guy" thing is bunk, because in all honestly, top 4 defensemen play pretty much the same mins. In having Letang and Suter split up, you would ensure that you're never chasing a matchup.
Klein and Josi?
No argument about the others, but then again we have a couple of things those teams didn't have at forward.

Futile to debate this before having Suter signed of course, which I think is unfortunately not so likely, but the 'never chase a matchup' is what people have been saying here since Martin and Michalek signed, and also about the Sid/Malkin/Staal axis.
We SHOULD chase and adjust to matchups in the playoffs - just like everyone else. Just like we should be paying attention to making our own pairings as complimentary as possible. Because not doing that IMO was the reason Martin/Michalek didn't work out for us.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Shady Machine

There's not a doubt in my mind that if Suter signs here, it will be Letang-Suter to start out. That pairing would play 25+ min a game. Then Orpik-Nisky is a fine 2nd pairing to play 18-22 min and the 3rd pairing of Despres/Strait/Bort - Engelland will fill in the remaining minutes.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote