HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres could lose TJ Brennan for nothing in return

Old
07-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Superhero

vCash: 500

From my understanding, if players are sent back to the AHL in their 4th professional season, any team can sign that player without compensation.

The Sabres have
Myers, Erhoff, Leopold, Regehr, Weber, Sultzer, Sekera, and McNabb under contract which could leave Brennan as the odd man out. Brennan scoring 15 and 16 goals in the AHL gives me reason that someone will want to claim him.
The other option would be to keep McNabb in Rochester while Brennan sits the bench in Buffalo as the 8th Defenseman.

Pysyk Ang Guthier Leduc will also be starting the pro careers and will be in the mix at defense.

Maybe a trade somewhere is about to happen?

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Imlach a cup

Every team has a TJ Brennan in the AHL but not every team has a Pysyk and McNabb. I'll put Brennan in the Luke Adam category, a prospect thats about to get lost on the depth chart behind better prospects.

Imlach a cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I wouldn't be surprised if he or Weber are traded. That said, I don't think we should worry much about losing Brennan for nothing; it would be poor asset management but sometimes things like that just happen. It wouldn't exactly be a big deal.

I am not counting him out just yet in terms of the Sabres. He could get some decent time next season with injuries. If Weber doesn't improve his game then Brennan is probably better right now.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Superhero

What if Brennan becomes a double digit goal scorer in the NHL someday?

He's got a good hard shot.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:22 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he or Weber are traded. That said, I don't think we should worry much about losing Brennan for nothing; it would be poor asset management but sometimes things like that just happen. It wouldn't exactly be a big deal.

I am not counting him out just yet in terms of the Sabres. He could get some decent time next season with injuries. If Weber doesn't improve his game then Brennan is probably better right now.
Weber better show up to camp ready to play his ass off. If we see a player substantially similar to the one we saw last year after 20 games (presuming he's still with the team come October), Regier won't hesitate to bury him in the minors or trade him for scraps.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post

He's got a good hard shot.
I'm not saying anything against Brennan. But his trade value isn't going to be that high and his position in the organization right now isn't that high, yet he will be good depth for us this season, so I'm not concerned if they hang on to him and then lose him for nothing. I would prefer they trade him if it becomes clear he has no place going forward, but if they don't then it's just one of those things that happens now and then to every team in our position.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Imlach a cup

Brennan, Adam, Roy to anywhere for a veteran D on a 2 way contract and a top 40 pick

Last edited by Imlach a cup: 07-01-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Stupid phone
Old
07-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Brennan, Adam, Roy to anywhere for a veteran D on a 2 way contract and a top 40 pick
Sounds like overpayment. Roy alone could get something near that return depending on what "Veteran D on a 2 way" entails, because to me that entails a pretty middling bottom-pairing player.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Sounds like overpayment. Roy alone could get something near that return depending on what "Veteran D on a 2 way" entails, because to me that entails a pretty middling bottom-pairing player.
I firmly believe no one wants Roy. Darcy has done more in the past 18 months then the rest of his time in Buffalo, if Roy had value I think
he'd be gone already. I want the cap room for the Doan Parise double feature.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
I firmly believe no one wants Roy. Darcy has done more in the past 18 months then the rest of his time in Buffalo, if Roy had value I think he'd be gone already.
That's not true that no one wants Roy. You think he would pass through waivers? It's just that no one wants Roy at the price Darcy is asking. If Darcy said, "First person to give me a 4th gets Roy!" then he'd be gone before you could blink. I bet most teams want to give up what Washington gave up for Riberio. Darcy, on the other hand, is likely thinking, "Hmm, if Goose got a 1st then Roy can land..."

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:53 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
From my understanding, if players are sent back to the AHL in their 4th professional season, any team can sign that player without compensation.

The Sabres have
Myers, Erhoff, Leopold, Regehr, Weber, Sultzer, Sekera, and McNabb under contract which could leave Brennan as the odd man out. Brennan scoring 15 and 16 goals in the AHL gives me reason that someone will want to claim him.
The other option would be to keep McNabb in Rochester while Brennan sits the bench in Buffalo as the 8th Defenseman.

Pysyk Ang Guthier Leduc will also be starting the pro careers and will be in the mix at defense.

Maybe a trade somewhere is about to happen?
Your understanding is wrong.

A player can be assigned to the AHL before the waiver period begins. If that happens, they're not exposed to waivers unless recalled, and nobody can take a player from you without waivers.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Husko

I think Weber is a goner.

Husko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
That's not true that no one wants Roy. You think he would pass through waivers? It's just that no one wants Roy at the price Darcy is asking. If Darcy said, "First person to give me a 4th gets Roy!" then he'd be gone before you could blink. I bet most teams want to give up what Washington gave up for Riberio. Darcy, on the other hand, is likely thinking, "Hmm, if Goose got a 1st then Roy can land..."
You are correct no on is going to give us 65pnt center value for Roy. So I have stopped proposing trades using him at that value. I value him as the top tier third line center who might be able to get you a first. Throw in 2 prospects who in a year or two may have zero value to us (Adam at wing might be worth developing) to get a solid pick and a defenseman capable of playing sheltered NHL minutes with the flexibility of playing AHL when we are healthy. Of course this would be contigent on us signing some goal scoring tomorrow.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:12 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Your understanding is incorrect and to be honest, I wouldn't care if we lost Brennan. He's a generic prospect / player that every team has their own version of.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:02 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Your understanding is wrong.

A player can be assigned to the AHL before the waiver period begins. If that happens, they're not exposed to waivers unless recalled, and nobody can take a player from you without waivers.
Actually, your understanding is wrong.

Any NHL player that is being assigned to the minors has to clear waivers unless they are exempt.
For younger players, there's the games played/years since first NHL contract exemption and for older players there's the 10 games/30 days since last being waived and conditioning loan exemptions.
There is no mythical period of time before the waiver period begins when you can sneak waiver eligible players into the minors.

Brennan was exempt for three seasons or 160 NHL games.
He's played three seasons, so he is no longer waiver exempt and therefore must clear regular waivers to be assigned to the AHL.

As for the OP, I don't really care if they lose him on waivers.
He's intriguing but just hasn't been able to put it all together.
Teams have guys that are similar to him and may not even want to claim him if he's waived at the beginning of the season, as they'll likely have their rosters set.
If someone does claim him and he manages to stick, great for him.
If someone claims him and he doesn't stick, he gets waived again and Buffalo can claim him if they wish, and, if no one else put in a claim, assign him to Rochester without sending with through waivers again.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Almost everyone has a player of his ilk. If he isn't dealt this summer and makes it to camp and doesn't make the big club and then he gets claimed, more power to him and good luck. It isn't the end of the world.

Edit - Thread title edit for player name spelling.

07-01-2012, 09:45 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Actually, your understanding is wrong.

Any NHL player that is being assigned to the minors has to clear waivers unless they are exempt.
For younger players, there's the games played/years since first NHL contract exemption and for older players there's the 10 games/30 days since last being waived and conditioning loan exemptions.
There is no mythical period of time before the waiver period begins when you can sneak waiver eligible players into the minors.

Brennan was exempt for three seasons or 160 NHL games.
He's played three seasons, so he is no longer waiver exempt and therefore must clear regular waivers to be assigned to the AHL.

As for the OP, I don't really care if they lose him on waivers.
He's intriguing but just hasn't been able to put it all together.
Teams have guys that are similar to him and may not even want to claim him if he's waived at the beginning of the season, as they'll likely have their rosters set.
If someone does claim him and he manages to stick, great for him.
If someone claims him and he doesn't stick, he gets waived again and Buffalo can claim him if they wish, and, if no one else put in a claim, assign him to Rochester without sending with through waivers again.
Yes, there is. Read the CBA. Specifically, look at the dates when training camp starts, and when the waiver period begins.

EDIT: I might have mixed up the waiver period and cap compliance period in my own mind. I'll look later, and will be happy to admit if I was wrong.

Either way, who cares. It's TJ Brennan.

Last edited by SackTastic: 07-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old
07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Yes, there is. Read the CBA. Specifically, look at the dates when training camp starts, and when the waiver period begins.

EDIT: I might have mixed up the waiver period and cap compliance period in my own mind. I'll look later, and will be happy to admit if I was wrong.

Either way, who cares. It's TJ Brennan.
Yeah, pretty sure you're wrong on this one.

Waiver rules apply during the full period in which you can transfer players, which starts 12 days before the regular season and ends 1 day after the team's playing season.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:46 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

I would rather have Brennan on the roster than Weber because McNabb is basically a better Weber in my opinion.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:22 AM
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster

They should have just drafted Subban like I wanted them to instead of Brennan...

11Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
There are worse things than losing your #9 DMan.

Quote:
You can't worry about the what-ifs. You have to make decisions based on the information available today, and that information suggests that our other roster Dmen are better today and our other D prospects will be better tomorrow. That said we can still keep him a bit longer to gather more information to ultimately make a more informed decision.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:25 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Yeah, pretty sure you're wrong on this one.

Waiver rules apply during the full period in which you can transfer players, which starts 12 days before the regular season and ends 1 day after the team's playing season.
Yep, I mixed up the waiver and cap dates. Oops. My bad.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:43 AM
hockey18

He is a restricted free agent and can be signed for a 2 way contract and not have to clear waivers.

HOw in the world can we be waiting for weber to produce when he never really has? what is going to be different in his game then his previous seasons? he was never a scorer and not much of a shut down guy. Always jumps into the fight when people are breaking it up. IF brennan or some other d guys were given the rope that weber had last year, they would have outplayed him.

Buffalo plays to not lose, they don't put the best guys on the ice because they are interested in covering there butts for the bad moves they have made. Thats why they won't win.Leino, 5mill? regehr 4mill? please. IF they don't put the best guys on the ice to give us the best chance to win a game, how can we expect to win a Stanley CUp?

Brennan has the best shot in the AHL and has proven himself there. Buffalo PP is lethargic at best and he is a weapon they can put there. When he goes elsewhere and is given the same shot that weber, grags, myers has, he will be a good player for someone else

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
He is a restricted free agent and can be signed for a 2 way contract and not have to clear waivers.

HOw in the world can we be waiting for weber to produce when he never really has? what is going to be different in his game then his previous seasons? he was never a scorer and not much of a shut down guy. Always jumps into the fight when people are breaking it up. IF brennan or some other d guys were given the rope that weber had last year, they would have outplayed him.

Buffalo plays to not lose, they don't put the best guys on the ice because they are interested in covering there butts for the bad moves they have made. Thats why they won't win.Leino, 5mill? regehr 4mill? please. IF they don't put the best guys on the ice to give us the best chance to win a game, how can we expect to win a Stanley CUp?

Brennan has the best shot in the AHL and has proven himself there. Buffalo PP is lethargic at best and he is a weapon they can put there. When he goes elsewhere and is given the same shot that weber, grags, myers has, he will be a good player for someone else
Two-way contracts have no impact on waivers

Old
07-02-2012, 07:58 AM
hockey18

I believe if he makes over a certqain amount in his AHL salary, he has to clear waivers

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote