HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 UFA season frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 02:53 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
2012 UFA season frenzy

Mods, I think this is worth a sticky.

Let us discuss all the non-Sharks signings in this thread; that way I do not have to peruse the main boards. Presumably, anyone the Sharks sign will get his own thread.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Le Rosbeef

I predict within 24 hours, I'll be looking at Detroit as hands down favourite to win the Stanley Cup next season.*

*I really hope I'm wrong.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:53 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
I predict within 24 hours, I'll be looking at Detroit as hands down favourite to win the Stanley Cup next season.*

*I really hope I'm wrong.
Cups are won in July.

Old
07-01-2012, 04:00 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Cups are won in July.
Nah. Cups are won in the late stages of June, in between the draft and the UFA period.

You might think the teams are doing nothing, but what they're really doing is winning the cup.

as for this thread, it's probably best just to have a single "GDT" for UFA day the way we do for the trade deadline. Shark discussion can happen here until such time as the team does something to warrant it's own thread. No need to restrict this to just paying attention to the 29 other clubs, otherwise it'll likely be largely useless.

and I'll stick it in the morning unless another mod gets to it first.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
07-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice

sharks are usually associated with frenzies, but we are like whale sharks at this time of year, hopefully DW turns into a tiger shark, or a nurse shark.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:31 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Im confused, what is this thread for?

Old
07-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanxstereo View Post
sharks are usually associated with frenzies, but we are like whale sharks at this time of year, hopefully DW turns into a tiger shark, or a nurse shark.
This stance confuses me.

Look at how many millions get spent each year. What did LA do last year? They added Gagne, a guy that most teams barely wanted to touch, and that was IT. How Did Jagr, Richards, Ville Leino (*splutter*), Ehrhoff, Wisniewski all work out for their teams chasing a cup?

The year before, the Bruins added Nathan McIver, Jeremy Reichand re-signed a few 3/4th line players. How did the millions thrown at Michalek, Martin, Jokinen, Gonchar, Tanguay, Volchenkov, Kubina, Corvo and co work out?

What about the year before with Bouwmeester, Gaborik, Cammalleri, Halvat and co work out? I'll grant you that Hossa and Kopecky went in as FAs to Chicago and won the cup but that season they also re-signed Brouwer, Versteeg, Bolland. Hossa was as much replacing Havlat as it was anything else.

The point I'm trying to make is that rarely do the millions and millions put a team over the top. Sure, would Parise and Suter help? Absolutely. But these are not guarantees and you can guarantee someone will overpay for them - look at those contracts listed above. There aren't too many of them I'd want on the Sharks right now all things considered and I'll be stunned if Parise and Suter come in less than 7m per year in any case. We can't afford those.

Address some needs, roll the dice. But going crazy on July 1st is overrated. It's more - in my humble opinion - about hockey starved fans getting excited about a year ahead. Let's keep level.

Wilson does a good job, all things considered, with trades. And that's not a bad thing. Hockey in the 21st century is as much about asset management as it is the game on the ice and July 1st is less likely to win you a cup than it is to ensure you won't for the forseeable future. That said, if Detroit sign BOTH of Suter and Parise as I expect them to, that's the sort of home run that could make my argument largely redundant...

EDIT: Just seen Wideman has signed for 5 years, $26m ($5.2m per) in Calgary.... this is exactly what I'm talking about. Ville Leino part 2...

Last edited by Le Rosbeef: 07-01-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old
07-01-2012, 07:07 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I don't think offering $7m to Sutter/Parise is crazy. Not that we would ever find out, but I EXPECT that we make offers on both.

We should offer Parise 6yr/$42m NTC/NMC
We should offer Suter 6yr/$45m NTC/NMC

If their agents go, "we're looking for more money", then fine. Just say thanks for listening to our offer but we can't go higher, and walk away.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
LA might as well be Carolina when they won they cup. They were gift wrapped two playoff series.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:26 AM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
LA might as well be Carolina when they won they cup. They were gift wrapped two playoff series.
I still think what might've happend if the Sharks placed 8th instead of 7th. Ugh.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
I don't think offering $7m to Sutter/Parise is crazy. Not that we would ever find out, but I EXPECT that we make offers on both.

We should offer Parise 6yr/$42m NTC/NMC
We should offer Suter 6yr/$45m NTC/NMC

If their agents go, "we're looking for more money", then fine. Just say thanks for listening to our offer but we can't go higher, and walk away.
I expect both to sign huge deals which have their cap hit deflated by front loading contracts. Watch for Ehrhoff-like money on both up front., I reckon. That's the biggest issue - Wilson has never shown a willingness to engage in these sorts of deals and I'm inclined to agree with the policy - it's a short term placation with a long term consequence. Look how many of those contracts look silly already?

As for offering NMCs, I'm also skeptical about them at this stage - teams who overburden themselves with a lot of these are really limiting their options further down the line. CapGeek suggests we already have 5 (JT, Patty, Handszus, Boyle and Burns) - adding 2 more (and presumably on long term deals) seems dangerous to me, but perhaps I'm just risk averse...

Old
07-01-2012, 09:19 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
I expect both to sign huge deals which have their cap hit deflated by front loading contracts. Watch for Ehrhoff-like money on both up front., I reckon. That's the biggest issue - Wilson has never shown a willingness to engage in these sorts of deals and I'm inclined to agree with the policy - it's a short term placation with a long term consequence. Look how many of those contracts look silly already?

As for offering NMCs, I'm also skeptical about them at this stage - teams who overburden themselves with a lot of these are really limiting their options further down the line. CapGeek suggests we already have 5 (JT, Patty, Handszus, Boyle and Burns) - adding 2 more (and presumably on long term deals) seems dangerous to me, but perhaps I'm just risk averse...
Despite trading for Heatley and Havlat (and signing Burns to his deal), I think DW has gone on record saying that he likes to sign 3 to 4 year deals.

DW/Sharks probably won't offer a front-loaded 10 year contract. Maybe they would reconsider if Parise/Suter's agent said either would definitely sign here for such a deal...oh wait, they see San Jose as being no man's land way out west with horrendous travel, so they would never even make such a request (IMHO).

Old
07-01-2012, 09:39 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Carle and the Monster testing the UFA waters:

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Matt Carle indeed going to market.
Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

No surprise but J. Gustavsson going to market. Didn't feel Winnipeg was a fit for him

Old
07-01-2012, 09:40 AM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

My predictions:

I'm fully expecting to see Winnik sign elsewhere today (hope not), and it'll be bittersweet to see Torrey go. Moore I'm on the fence about, but I have a gut feeling he'll re-up. Heck, while I'm at it, I can also see Winchester sign again, too. He'll come cheap and probably dress for 50 games, but I'm okay with that.

#2 & #5, TTYL!

Would be nice to sign someone like Mueller or Whitney (or Doan in a week for a reasonable price/term). Prust is on my wishlist, but I don't see it happening.

Really, given this crop of FA's, that's about it in my eyes. Surprise me in a good way, DW!

Old
07-01-2012, 09:48 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Should be fun to check through out the day.

I'm expecting 0 moves from SJ.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:54 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post

Except maybe signing a player who will be UFA on July 1, 2013 to an extension. I remember a few years back when the "big splash" for the Sharks on July 1 was signing Thornton to an extension. Maybe MEV signs an extension today.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post

Maybe it's me, but hasn't Wilson already gone in print as saying he's not going to get anyone on July 1st? I could have sworn Pollack posted words to this effect not that long ago.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe it's me, but hasn't Wilson already gone in print as saying he's not going to get anyone on July 1st? I could have sworn Pollack posted words to this effect not that long ago.
I thought DW said that none of our UFA's will be re-signed 'before' July 1st.

07-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

This is the worst day to go get paid to do video game testing. I have to leave at about 9:15 and I don't get done until about 4. They also take our cell phones once we start.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:14 AM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

I don't think the Sharks are going to do anything big today

Old
07-01-2012, 10:18 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
heeehhhh, i came to this thread thinking a move had already been done. Then again this DW we are talking about, then I sighed and went damn nothing will be done today for Sharks.

BOO friggin WHOO!

Old
07-01-2012, 10:23 AM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
heeehhhh, i came to this thread thinking a move had already been done. Then again this DW we are talking about, then I sighed and went damn nothing will be done today for Sharks.

BOO friggin WHOO!
Ya, but we can watch as other teams sign players and watch the list dwindle down to scraps.

Or MAYBE.......?

Old
07-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

I personally think the Sharks will make a significant addition today.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
I personally think the Sharks will make a significant addition today.
Go ooooooooooooooooooooon?

Old
07-01-2012, 10:25 AM
KzooShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I still think what might've happend if the Sharks placed 8th instead of 7th. Ugh.
Take a 2-1 series lead over Vancouver before the Sedins reunite and win the next three?

Closed Thread