HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Bruins Prospect Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
That pretty much never works out.
Well there's a first for everything!

But seriously, use Koko in a deal for an impact player soon. Iginla prease

Old
06-25-2012, 09:00 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Well there's a first for everything!

But seriously, use Koko in a deal for an impact player soon. Iginla prease
That would be nice. I wonder if he'd stay in the NHL if he had a spot? I would imagine, but he won't have that on the Bruins. Calgary would be a different story though.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Alan Ryan

Torey Krug article by Joe McDonald: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...k-taste-of-nhl

Quoting Don Sweeney at the start of development camp:

“We obviously watched Torey for a long time and felt he would be able to handle that, and now the bar sort of resets for him. He’s made his impression and he did very well and now he’s got to go out and push someone out of the way and earn that spot. I think he’s excited to try to do that. He’s got some things we’re going to try build into his game. He’s not a ready-made guy, but he’s got a lot of attributes that certainly separate him from some of the younger kids.”

I'm very interested to see how the rookie defenseman plays in Providence.

Last edited by Alan Ryan: 06-30-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old
06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Alan Ryan

New Prospect Seth Griffith

ESPN Boston has a story on the Bruins new 5th round draft pick Seth Griffith: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...ffith-fired-up

The London Knights star lit up the OHL with 45 goals and 85 points last season and helped them to the Memorial Cup finals with 10 goals and 23 points in the playoffs. The Bruins are absolutely thrilled to have been able to get such a skilled and high-scoring player in the fifth round and are just as happy to have Griffith at their 2012 Development Camp.

Griffith has heard a lot about the Bruins organization while playing with Bruins prospect Jared Knight for the past two years. Knight was drafted by the Bruins in the second round (32nd overall) of the 2010 entry draft. "Well Jared Knight has really sold me on this team and this camp and just the culture," Griffith said. "I'm seeing now exactly what he was talking about. From the players to the trainers to the coaches and to Johnny Whitesides it's just a really well-run camp. They make you feel at home and part of a group but they also challenge you. And to be part of such a prestigious Original Six organization is great."

Don Sweeney compared Griffith to future hall of famer Ray Whitney, who will be one of the most sought-after unrestricted free agents when free agency opens Sunday. "Ray Whitney's had a very successful career," Sweeney said. "I think [Griffith] has a little bit of blend of those talents, and those types of goals at the OHL level I think speak volumes for that type of player that he is. Hopefully he can go and do that as he moves forward to play against stronger players. We like him; we like the player; and we didn't necessarily know for sure whether or not he'd be there, but we're happy that he was when he was."

Old
06-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
ESPN Boston has a story on the Bruins new 5th round draft pick Seth Griffith: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...ffith-fired-up

The London Knights star lit up the OHL with 45 goals and 85 points last season and helped them to the Memorial Cup finals with 10 goals and 23 points in the playoffs. The Bruins are absolutely thrilled to have been able to get such a skilled and high-scoring player in the fifth round and are just as happy to have Griffith at their 2012 Development Camp.

Griffith has heard a lot about the Bruins organization while playing with Bruins prospect Jared Knight for the past two years. Knight was drafted by the Bruins in the second round (32nd overall) of the 2010 entry draft. "Well Jared Knight has really sold me on this team and this camp and just the culture," Griffith said. "I'm seeing now exactly what he was talking about. From the players to the trainers to the coaches and to Johnny Whitesides it's just a really well-run camp. They make you feel at home and part of a group but they also challenge you. And to be part of such a prestigious Original Six organization is great."

Don Sweeney compared Griffith to future hall of famer Ray Whitney, who will be one of the most sought-after unrestricted free agents when free agency opens Sunday. "Ray Whitney's had a very successful career," Sweeney said. "I think [Griffith] has a little bit of blend of those talents, and those types of goals at the OHL level I think speak volumes for that type of player that he is. Hopefully he can go and do that as he moves forward to play against stronger players. We like him; we like the player; and we didn't necessarily know for sure whether or not he'd be there, but we're happy that he was when he was." [/B][/I]
Wat.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Alan Ryan

Tommy Cross article

csnne has a feature article on Bruins defense prospect Tommy Cross: http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...2&feedID=10428

Cross graduated from BC as Captain of the NCAA champion Eagles and now moves on to develop himself as a pro in Providence. P-Bruins Coach Cassidy is suggesting that Cross model his play after Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg.

“[Development] camp has been a great learning tool for me. It just so happened that I came to the first one when I was 17 years old and went to college for four years. I wouldn’t change that experience at all.”

Now the 22-year-old Cross is signed, sealed and delivered to the Bruins, and he’s likely headed to the Providence Bruins for some AHL seasoning while preparing for a run at an NHL job. Cross helped the Eagles to a pair of NCAA championships and overcame knee injuries that hampered his development in college, and now the Bruins are hoping that the 6-foot-3, 195-pound bruiser develops that same winning aura in the pros as he did in college.

Providence Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said he’d encourage Cross to watch video of Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg if he’s looking for directions to take his on-ice game. “He’s a very mature guy, he’s a winner and I think he’s going to figure it out. Whether he’s good enough, who knows? But that’s the game he needs to bring to us. Because he’s a big-bodied guy he can be a Seidenberg-type player where he physically moves guys and can make that good first pass.”

Old
06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Alan Ryan

Jared Knight article

Here is a story on Jared Knight at the Worcester Telegram: http://www.telegram.com/article/2012...45/1009/sports

Will he be in Providence this year or take the spot open in the Pouliot trade?

The third pick in the Toronto heist was a 2010 second-rounder, the Bruins using the 32nd overall selection on forward Jared Knight. The 20-year-old Michigan native likely will spend this winter in Providence, although Boston is a possibility. Those decisions are made by others. The only thing Knight can control is himself, and the plan is to show up here for training camp in September looking to make a positive impression.

“I’m just going to come in like I have the last few years, in shape and play my hardest,” he said this week during a break in the Bruins’ sixth annual Development Camp at Ristuccia Arena. “That’s really all you can do. It’ll be my third time going to a training camp, so I’ll kind of know what to expect and give it my best.”

The Bruins do have an opening up front after trading Benoit Pouliot to Tampa Bay last week. Although it’s apparently been bequeathed to Jordan Caron, the 5-foot-10, 198-pound Knight plays the kind of hockey the front office and fans in Boston are absolutely enamored with.

“Knighter is kind of a player who thrives on playing in straight lines and going to the net and playing in the dirty areas,” assistant general manager Don Sweeney said. “He just has to realize he’s been able to do some of the stuff physically at the junior level that, at the next level, these guys are going to be bigger and stronger and he’s going to have to understand how to get that space back against bigger players who can push back equally as hard as he can push. So there’s probably going to be an adjustment period for him.”

Knight will mix it up down low, but he’s more than a mucker. He’s got a hard, accurate shot and soft hands when it comes to passing. It all makes for a nice, balanced offensive game.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:56 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Knight will be a good call-up option this coming season for Boston, unless he outplays Caron in training camp. I do think based on Caron's play last season, it's his spot to lose. Knight also provides top 6 insurance and depth for the Bruins in case Marchand out-prices himself here or gets traded, injured, etc etc sometime in the next couple of years ( this also depends on Knight's development obviously ).

At his worse, I think Knight will be a lot like Kelly, a gritty two-way forward who's on-ice play and hustle outweighs what his stats indicate his worth to be. I think he's got better skills and talent potential than Kelly at the same age and hopefully that potential gets honed and the results follow suit.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:47 AM
Alan Ryan

Robbie O'Gara article

Today's Herald puts the spotlight on young defenseman O'Gara: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h..._comfort_zone/

In the spring, the 6-foot-4 O’Gara tried lacrosse for the first time and concentrated on spending a lot of time in the gym. And so far, it looks like that work’s paid off. O’Gara weighed in at 197 pounds at last year’s camp and this year he’s up to 205. Ideally, he said he’d like to be in the 210-215 range when he’s physically matured.

Assistant general manager Don Sweeney said there’s still a lot of room for growth, but he really likes O’Gara’s mindset.

“I think Robbie’s made some really good strides,” Sweeney said. “He’s still got a lot of strength to add, but you’re not changing the frame at 6-4, so he’s got a lot of room for that. The level of play is probably below obviously what other kids played at last year. That’s not a disparaging comment against prep school hockey. But he’s looking forward to going to Yale and it’s a good program.”

Old
07-01-2012, 06:04 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Today's Herald puts the spotlight on young defenseman O'Gara: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h..._comfort_zone/

In the spring, the 6-foot-4 O’Gara tried lacrosse for the first time and concentrated on spending a lot of time in the gym. And so far, it looks like that work’s paid off. O’Gara weighed in at 197 pounds at last year’s camp and this year he’s up to 205. Ideally, he said he’d like to be in the 210-215 range when he’s physically matured.

Assistant general manager Don Sweeney said there’s still a lot of room for growth, but he really likes O’Gara’s mindset.

“I think Robbie’s made some really good strides,” Sweeney said. “He’s still got a lot of strength to add, but you’re not changing the frame at 6-4, so he’s got a lot of room for that. The level of play is probably below obviously what other kids played at last year. That’s not a disparaging comment against prep school hockey. But he’s looking forward to going to Yale and it’s a good program.”

I commented on a post/link from Bob Mand about O`Gara too, is this kid a hidden gem???? Waay too early of course to make any proclomations but every article I read about him or D-Camp, the word "impressed" is often attached to him?

Old
07-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

O'Gara actually played lacrosse a year ago- before the Bruins drafted him. This would have been his second season of LAX.

Good to see he's putting on weight. He was the best defenseman in prep this past season despite playing on a young, inexperienced team. Logged about 35 minutes a night.

Bruins benefited from him having played just 1 year of prep hockey before being drafted. Most NHL teams get 2 years to look at guys at that level, so I think some clubs were asleep at the switch. Getting him with the last pick of the fifth round was fine value.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
O'Gara actually played lacrosse a year ago- before the Bruins drafted him. This would have been his second season of LAX.

Good to see he's putting on weight. He was the best defenseman in prep this past season despite playing on a young, inexperienced team. Logged about 35 minutes a night.

Bruins benefited from him having played just 1 year of prep hockey before being drafted. Most NHL teams get 2 years to look at guys at that level, so I think some clubs were asleep at the switch. Getting him with the last pick of the fifth round was fine value.
Kirk, you were right about him. H

e's having no issues with keeping up with the top players in camp. If he keeps it up then he is definitely going to be a steal.

I am Boston Strong

Old
07-01-2012, 10:45 AM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post

is he going the ncaa route? if so which school?

Old
07-01-2012, 10:54 AM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
is he going the ncaa route? if so which school?
He's going to Yale.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Alan Ryan

Anthony Camara article

WEEI has an article on Anthony Camara: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...-and-intrigue/

Based on where he was drafted and what he might be becoming, there are few Bruins prospects more intriguing than Camara. The B’s turned heads last June when they drafted Camara, a fighter first and foremost, in the third round. The 6-foot-1 left wing had only scored eight goals in the OHL in his draft year, and just six in the previous season, but Boston saw enough in Camara to take him 81st overall.

The Toronto native used last summer’s development camp to show that he was more than just a grinder, but this past season saw Camara really add the element of offense to his game. He scored seven goals in 35 games for Saginaw before being traded to the Barrie Colts. There, he added nine more goals in 31 games.

At this year’s camp, the Bruins have observed Camara — who got in 15 fights this past season — as being every bit as tough as he was when they drafted him, but more offensively potent.

“He’s better,” Providence coach Bruce Cassidy said after Sunday’s scrimmage. “… He wants to get noticed, finishing checks. He also prides himself on wanting to be able to to play with the puck. He doesn’t want to be typecast, so to speak, and he wants to have an all-around game.”

Old
07-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Alan Ryan

Ryan Spooner profile

NEHJ has this profile on Ryan Spooner: http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/br...-_Ryan_Spooner

Strengths: Blazing skater is both fast and elusive with the ability to separate from defenders with a breakaway gear, but can also shake opponents with shifty, rapid changes in direction. Deft stick handler who attacks the net with dazzling moves. Effective playmaker who has a superb feel for the flow of the play and can exploit seams and passing lanes in defenses with a soft touch for tape-to-tape passes. Quick release; not afraid to get the puck on net and likes to shoot rather than always looking for open teammates. Arguably Boston's top offensive prospect with the speed and skill to back defenses up and generate quality scoring chances. A conscientious player with the desire to improve his all-around game.

Weaknesses: Average size, but Spooner recently was measured at a shade under 6-foot, so he has grown about an inch since being drafted. Won't ever have ideal size or the strength to play a physical game in the NHL, so will need to play effectively in space. Defensive play has markedly improved since becoming a Boston prospect but is still a work in progress.

Projection: Top-six forward and power play ace after some developmental time in the AHL. The size will be a question for Spooner until he establishes himself at the NHL level, but at around 6-feet, he's more than equipped to be an impact player at the highest level.

While he does have a leg up on plenty of the competition in terms of experience, Spooner's slick offensive abilities are a notch above just about everyone taking part in d-camp.

Throughout the array of drills in the first few days of camp, his killer wheels -- both in terms of acceleration and smooth skating style -- were on full display. A crisp passer and effective shooter, the center's best asset is his stick-handling skills -- the highlight moment coming on Day 1 of camp when he juked Malcolm Subban out of position for a sweet backhanded goal on a breakaway drill.

It's obvious that Spooner's style is never going to be akin to a bull in a china shop, but everything he's shown in the OHL and in multiple camps with Boston indicates he should be able to overcome his size disadvantage

Old
07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Adding to Camara and Spooner:

when Camara was drafted, Dom and I had a talk as he was disappointed by the pick. I pointed out that even if you have one gritty guy in the system, having more always helps push the competition internally and gives options. Camara has done that and will do that. For those interested, I suggest going back to Dom's work this past season around the middle of it when Camara was asked to step up when injuries presented themselves: the kid carried on like a warrior and really proved his worth. Definitely a prospect to keep your eye on.

Spooner's defensive game has been a large product of the trade. Under the new mentoring he learned more of the 3 zone game. If he is to be an NHL center though, he still has significant work here. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Bruins have him take shifts at left wing- he's played it a bit in the past and has a decent enough shot. With a line that has options and a strong defensive center, it could create quite the threat. Again though, he'll still need to grow and work on his physical/board game if that type of move was made.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

When will HF update the prospect ratings and have the new draftees on there?

Old
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
bigbadbruins7

Koko signed with the Bruins. Guess he is more likely to come back than some people thought.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BOS|home

Old
07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
He's going to Yale.
thanks. i just played against a few kids who played on yale in a mens league. wow are they good

Old
07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

^ doesn't kick in until he leaves Khl

Old
07-03-2012, 12:08 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

on the Bruins homepage they talked to him and Chia about the KHL thing and it said he's going because it's a unique opportunity for him with his dad managing the team. He plans to go for a year and come back. He wants to be an NHL'er so I'm not too worried about him not coming back.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:17 AM
chizzler

We'll see. Things change over there. Having signed a contract means nothing. Once he's there, getting him out will be difficult. His father runs the show. I would think he's got more pull than the B's.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
redsox7327

I know I could probably research this myself, but I'm going to be lazy here... Does Grzelcyk have any chance of making the world junior team for the US? Is he expected to get an invite or the likes?

Old
07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
thebig0

US Junior National Team

Grzelcyk was one of 17 defensemen invited to the try-out camp at Lake Placid in August. How O'Gara was not invited to this same try-out camp is beyond me...?? I feel he deserved at least a try-out.

Closed Thread