HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 12:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
It does take a while to negotiate contracts, so its probably to be expected.
I want more collusion.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:04 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Avs got Carkner and Mitchell. If those signings don't speed things up, then I don't know what will.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:06 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Reports are that Suter won't sign till tomorrow at the earliest. I just hope that other players aren't waiting for him for him to sign first.

It could be good for us to make a serious to pitch to Garrison or Carle today before the losers of the Suter sweepstakes join in.
that's a great assessment bleedblue1223 the clock is ticking

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
He's saying the same thing about Parise. I didn't really consider that their contracts would be so heavily front-loaded, which pretty much guarantees that we won't be signing either of them.
That's true. Obviously it won't be to the same scale, but I suspect that Garrison will want a pretty big signing fee. Having not earned a massive amount in his career, I wouldn't be surprised if he would want a $5m signing fee and $4m per year for 5 years. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem for us.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:14 PM
actionhank1786

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I actually fear the Red Wings signing Semin more than Parise.

If whoever signs Semin can get him playing with his head in the game every night, then he will be an outstanding addition and likely at a far more reasonable rate than Parise. I think the Wings might actually be able to get the best out of him.
The thought of a line with Semin playing like he does when doing well, and Dyatsuk has to be scary for anyone to face down.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:21 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

DRW going full court press.... Owner and Chris Chelios with RSuter....Holland and Company with ZParise.
Retweeted by Mark Spector Sports

not really a surprise but I really fear the worst thing that could happen will come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank1786 View Post
The thought of a line with Semin playing like he does when doing well, and Dyatsuk has to be scary for anyone to face down.
yeah, but the thought of him beeing an unmotivated so-called locker-room-cancer when things don`t work out well for him is pretty funny

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:24 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

DRW going full court press.... Owner and Chris Chelios with RSuter....Holland and Company with ZParise.
Retweeted by Mark Spector Sports

not really a surprise but I really fear the worst thing that could happen will come true

yeah, but the thought of him beeing an unmotivated so-called locker-room-cancer when things don`t work out well for him is pretty funny
Semin is a cancer much like Radulov was to Nashville IMO so there you go.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Semin is a cancer much like Radulov was to Nashville IMO so there you go.
I think the character on DET can overcome any perceived character flaws of Semin. If anything those character players would probably help him change.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:32 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
If this team isn't even willing to offer something to a big player, what happens when Pietrangelo wants his money? What if Tarasenko does end up being a legit scorer? This isn't only for the fans. You have to show your current players that you're willing to pay to compete or you end up in a bad situation like Nashville is now.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:32 PM
puckerdude10

I want to see us go after McClement as a third or fourth line center (idealy fourth) I know signing nichol makes that unlikely but the Avs just signed Mitchell so they may not re up Jay McC. If we could get him for 1.5 or less I think it would be totally worth it.

puckerdude10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:35 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckerdude10 View Post
I want to see us go after McClement as a third or fourth line center (idealy fourth) I know signing nichol makes that unlikely but the Avs just signed Mitchell so they may not re up Jay McC. If we could get him for 1.5 or less I think it would be totally worth it.
I'm pretty sure he was already making around 1.75 so he'll probably get 2 or more from somebody.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
If this team isn't even willing to offer something to a big player, what happens when Pietrangelo wants his money? What if Tarasenko does end up being a legit scorer? This isn't only for the fans. You have to show your current players that you're willing to pay to compete or you end up in a bad situation like Nashville is now.
If they don't sign a big star, then the will have the money to sign Petro. If Tratsenko does end up being legit, then the Blues are probably going to be a contender...so why would he leave. I think we are in a better position than Nashville.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Alklha

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he was already making around 1.75 so he'll probably get 2 or more from somebody.
Did he not reject $2m per from the Avs? I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him around $2.5m for 3 years. CBJ maybe?

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:45 PM
CarvinSigX

Wow...Whitney to Dallas. 4.5 cap hit on a 2 year deal.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Ray Whitney just got 2 years $9m from Dallas. Unbelievable; the guy is 39.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:48 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
exactly. The Blues are a couple of pieces away from being a special team. I'm certian it's been frustrating for the players as well as the fan the previous regime being cheap. No they don't have to spend to the cap ceiling like Boston or Philly, but they need to spend to improve the roster.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:50 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

The Blues will have the money to sign their players. That's always the number one priority with Doug Armstrong and I don't see that changing. Also, the only big money player we have is Pietrangelo. Whatever dollar amount he commands, the Blues will find the money to give him. He's a star player that doesn't come around too often. Tarasenko could end up being a legit scorer too, in which case the Blues will sign him too. We are not Phoenix or the Islanders. We get fans to the building, and they are very supportive. The money will be there to sign our players, there just might not be enough to go out and sign a big free agent every offseason. The core of this team is solid, with very few guys that are going to be making a lot of money. We probably will stick with this core as long as possible and add stop gaps every offseason or two in areas of weakness until be can fortify them long term. Jason Garrison would likely help solidify the left side for the near future if we can sign him. Garrison, Russell, Cole/Jackman, and Fairchild will be solid. Without Garrison, or someone comparable, the left side is a major weakness.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
I like this from a Blues standpoint. Dallas is only marginally better than when the season ended. Phoenix is worse.

(Thus far)

Last edited by Celtic Note: 07-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old
07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Wow...Whitney to Dallas. 4.5 cap hit on a 2 year deal.
What are you Wowing? 1st team all star last season?

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:52 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Whitney's a hell of player too bad he's a winger. I'm just happy he didn't sign with the wings

Old
07-01-2012, 12:53 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Ray Whitney is a freak of nature. He's 40 years old, yet just led his team in scoring. Very underrated player. Stars fans should be happy to sign him, although I don't think that helps their playoff chances a whole lot.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
The Blues will have the money to sign their players. That's always the number one priority with Doug Armstrong and I don't see that changing. Also, the only big money player we have is Pietrangelo. Whatever dollar amount he commands, the Blues will find the money to give him. He's a star player that doesn't come around too often. Tarasenko could end up being a legit scorer too, in which case the Blues will sign him too. We are not Phoenix or the Islanders. We get fans to the building, and they are very supportive. The money will be there to sign our players, there just might not be enough to go out and sign a big free agent every offseason. The core of this team is solid, with very few guys that are going to be making a lot of money. We probably will stick with this core as long as possible and add stop gaps every offseason or two in areas of weakness until be can fortify them long term. Jason Garrison would likely help solidify the left side for the near future if we can sign him. Garrison, Russell, Cole/Jackman, and Fairchild will be solid. Without Garrison, or someone comparable, the left side is a major weakness.
I think we will have money for them as well. We are a bigger market than Nashville and Pheonix. We are just starting to gain revenue traction buy pushing higher ticket prices, while our owner is trying to rectify our business structure issues and we are going to start getting better TV revenue.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:55 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
What are you Wowing? 1st team all star last season?
I didn't expect Dallas to make a big splash to be honest. He could have a great year with Eriksson and Benn...But Dallas is a one line team now.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
CarvinSigX

My worries are the offer sheets next year. I want Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk locked up NOW. Not when other teams have a say in their futures.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Don't get me wrong; I love Whitney, and he's saved my ass the last couple of years in my fantasy league. But 9 million over 2 years for a guy who is one injury away from retirement? It's insanity.

Also: Brad Boyes get 1 year, $1 million from NYI. Dude is Cheechoo v.2.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote