HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Sharks Nor Cal Sports Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Franchise13

vCash: 500
Remembering this off of memory but...

Skip Bayless once said Lebron could improve if he "played like he did in HS" so Jalen Rose, or someone forget who, looked up his HS stats and called him on live TV and confronted him on his 2 minutes a game he played at the varsity level. Asked him how Lebron could improve by sitting on the bench. He stuttered just as much as he did in the Cuban vid.

Now, while I don't think a successful sports writer/personality has to necessarily have a playing background, when you say something like that you really open yourself up to be exposed to what you really are. I do believe that having played high level sports gives someone an extra dimension to draw from which obviously gives them an edge in the profession.

Most sports writers are like Skip, just less abrasive and annoying. They make up these superlatives and whatnot about athletes, not realizing what actually goes into preparing for games, seasons etc... Ratto is another one of those fluff guys, Kawakami (sometimes) another.

Skip's lack of respect for players really made me hate him. Glad Cuban did what he did in the matter he did. He didn't outwardly trash skip, he did it with far more class than skip ever has.

IMO the good sports writers have actual sources and players who talk to them. Why? Because they respect what the player does and understands or tries to understand things from the player's eyes. Maiocco and Barrows (less so) have legit sources from the 49ers, and Baggarly for the Giants and it's evident in their writing/reporting.

From an NHL standpoint, I think LeBrun and McKenzie (more so) are really fair in their reporting and have a good rapport with players. I don't get the feeling Pollak is that "inside" the Sharks as much as Maiocco is to the Niners. But that's just a gut feeling, can't say for certain though.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:59 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Remembering this off of memory but...

Skip Bayless once said Lebron could improve if he "played like he did in HS" so Jalen Rose, or someone forget who, looked up his HS stats and called him on live TV and confronted him on his 2 minutes a game he played at the varsity level. Asked him how Lebron could improve by sitting on the bench. He stuttered just as much as he did in the Cuban vid.

Now, while I don't think a successful sports writer/personality has to necessarily have a playing background, when you say something like that you really open yourself up to be exposed to what you really are. I do believe that having played high level sports gives someone an extra dimension to draw from which obviously gives them an edge in the profession.

Most sports writers are like Skip, just less abrasive and annoying. They make up these superlatives and whatnot about athletes, not realizing what actually goes into preparing for games, seasons etc... Ratto is another one of those fluff guys, Kawakami (sometimes) another.

Skip's lack of respect for players really made me hate him. Glad Cuban did what he did in the matter he did. He didn't outwardly trash skip, he did it with far more class than skip ever has.

IMO the good sports writers have actual sources and players who talk to them. Why? Because they respect what the player does and understands or tries to understand things from the player's eyes. Maiocco and Barrows (less so) have legit sources from the 49ers, and Baggarly for the Giants and it's evident in their writing/reporting.

From an NHL standpoint, I think LeBrun and McKenzie (more so) are really fair in their reporting and have a good rapport with players. I don't get the feeling Pollak is that "inside" the Sharks as much as Maiocco is to the Niners. But that's just a gut feeling, can't say for certain though.
LeBrun is much better than Bobby Mac. I get what you're saying though. Pollak is a good beat writer and seems to have a good connection with the Sharks. Skip and others like him just seem bitter and have an axe to grind.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:42 AM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Missed the Giants game because I crashed hard after work, but I heard on KNBR on my way to Safeway that the shutout streak ended on the first pitch? Bahaha, I'm not disappointed...that's hilarious.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:30 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

In addition to Cuban and the Jalen Rose story, Skip Bayless has also gotten into it with Charles Barkley (who called him an ass-hole and the one person on TV he couldn't stand), Terrell Suggs (called him a d-bag after Bayless insinuated Suggs was making excuses for the Ravens losing a game), Troy Aikman (Bayless wrote in his book that Aikman was gay based on a whole bunch of unsubstantiated rumors), Shaq (when Shaq announced his retirement, Bayless slagged his career, calling it a "disappointment"), Chris Carter (disagreed about the magical mystical powers of Tim Tebow), and Chris Bosh (invited Bosh on his show, then showered him with insults for 10 minutes while never really engaging in a proper conversation/debate)

Skip Bayless is the Jerry Springer of sports journalism, a sideshow designed to get eyeballs and mouse clicks by being as sleazy and smarmy as possible. Only difference is that with Jerry Springer, the show was an act. Can't be so sure with Bayless.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Franchise13

I would've been perfectly ok with Lebron giving a big f you to Skip Bayless after the NBA Finals.

...Probably would've won over the nation.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:16 PM
rangerssharks414

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-incident.html

Aldon Smith was stabbed last night and suffered minor injuries. Hopefully, he'll be ok.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Kitten Mittons

What kind of house parties does a millionaire like that attend?

Old
06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Rickety Cricket

Sounds like he's going to be ok, but hopefully this is a reality check for him. I don't know Aldon or claim to know him, but he might need to evaluate who he hangs out with. Being a successful millionaire can attract a lot of people from the wrong crowd.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
What kind of house parties does a millionaire like that attend?
To me it sounds like he had a party at his house that got out of control.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

I hope Aldon recovers in speedy fashion. He needs the benefit of a full offseason, especially regarding dropping and coverage responsibilities.
If Aldon isn't careful he very easily could end up dead the next time. In order for him to learn about smart decision making, he should move in with Patrick Willis. Maybe Pat's maturity would rub off on him.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50
well that Quakes/Galaxy game sure was spirited

Old
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Beckham leaves the field real pissed.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:20 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
well that Quakes/Galaxy game sure was spirited
That game has pumped me up! So glad there were 50,000 plus to see it.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:33 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Great game, but man Beckham was pissed at the end - lol at him kicking the ball at the downed player at the end, then acting like he wanted to fight after his mates were in front of him.

Seeing him pissed was the best part

Old
07-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Niiiiiiiice. Melky beat out Braun. Ha

Panda and Posey also made it. But Only Cain from the rotation. boo to that.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Niiiiiiiice. Melky beat out Braun. Ha

Panda and Posey also made it. But Only Cain from the rotation. boo to that.
Late last week I would have preferred Bumgarner over Cain but this is good. Really surprised Sandoval is starting though. Probably should have been Wright.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Late last week I would have preferred Bumgarner over Cain but this is good. Really surprised Sandoval is starting though. Probably should have been Wright.
And Yadier Molina should be starting behind the dish as well. But hey, it's a popularity contest. I'm just happy the Giants are on the right side of it. Been a while. haha.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:09 PM
SJSharksfan39

While I'll be missing the All Star Game, I wonder if Posey can catch the Knuckleball. I'm assuming RA Dickey is starting right?

Old
07-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Shape

I would assume so. Especially considering each of their last starts.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:15 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

what a sham...Josh Reddick not making the All-Star team...

Old
07-01-2012, 01:17 PM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
That surprised me a lot. Yeah Cook has been decent (Not recently though) but Reddick has been consistent all season long. I don't get it.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Stash
Gonna miss this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Yep. Did they really need three DH's? Reddick has been better than Dunn and Butler. What should happen: Swap Reddick for Dunn straight up OR swap Reddick for Butler then Cook for Collins/Crow (because KC needs a rep). You could make the same argument for Austin Jackson deserving to be there: remove Cook, Butler, Dunn; add Collins/Crow, Reddick, Jackson. Stupid Ron Washington.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:38 PM
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton

Thank you Jay Bruce!

Old
07-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

pretty crappy for the a's that their last in voting is for pitchers. Jonathan Broxton? really?

Old
07-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Jay Bruce FTW

Closed Thread