HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets sign G Curtis McElhinney one year, two way

Old
07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
If this is the last goaltender signed, then

If this guy is slated for Springfield and viewed as injury insurance, then I don't have an issue with him. He's a cheap, mediocre back up on a two-way. As organizational depth and a 3/4 guy, seems ok to me.

At least the amazin' Howson didn't sign him to a 2 year, one-way like he did Boll.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:49 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
C'mon, John. Take a look at the list of UFAs. Trust Howson to sign from the limited list that is left?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
do you honestly think howson is gonna make a splash?
I never expected much of a splash. It's just not something that often happens with a team so far away from competing. Last year was a 'splash' so to speak, and we know how that worked out.

I've yet to see a player signed today other than Ray Whitney who I feel any tinge of disappointment about.

I think any real changes are going to come through trades and development. I doubt the CBJ sign more than 1 or 2 players at any position.

I would have like to have seen a huge overhaul like what Florida did last off season, but it doesn't seem to be what's going on here....although the blue line has been dramatically altered in a short time. The complete lack of skill at F kind of freaks me out. Far more so than the G situation, frankly.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I never expected much of a splash. It's just not something that often happens with a team so far away from competing. Last year was a 'splash' so to speak, and we know how that worked out.

I've yet to see a player signed today other than Ray Whitney who I feel any tinge of disappointment about.

I think any real changes are going to come through trades and development. I doubt the CBJ sign more than 1 or 2 players at any position.
Filip Kuba is off the market...run for the hills!

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
nateinjapan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post

Bob/Mason... start drinking CBJ fans.
this is obviously not a signing for the NHL club. they're just making a depth signing for our farm teams i can't imagine this will be the last move for a goalie since we were in need of goalies at just about every level. expect a move to happen here eventually or else

nateinjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:00 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateinjapan View Post
i can't imagine this will be the last move for a goalie since we were in need of goalies at just about every level. expect a move to happen here eventually or else
This is why I'm scared.... I think that was the last move for a goaltender. And I know, McBackup will be the 3, and we needed one of those, but we still need an NHL starter and the list is almost non existant at this point, barring a trade....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

If the plan for this coming season is to go with Mason and Bob, then that proves that Howson didn't learn a damn thing from last season on the goaltending front. He was lucky that Sanford played very respectably; otherwise, the CBJ would have had a season for the NHL record books (and not in a good way).

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:14 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
If the plan for this coming season is to go with Mason and Bob, then that proves that Howson didn't learn a damn thing from last season on the goaltending front. He was lucky that Sanford played very respectably; otherwise, the CBJ would have had a season for the NHL record books (and not in a good way).
This is what I'm talking about. Before last season already started we were talking about how the best possible outcome would be for Dekanich to overtake Mason and claim the #1 spot. All Scott Howson has really done is bring in competition for Mason, to hopefully, elevate his game. He missed the entire excerise in futility that was last season in net. He is handling it in almost the exact same way, if it wasn't for Bob's NHL experience, it would be exactly the same.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Skraut

Yeah, how dare Howson not sign that #1 netminder available on a short term deal that is willing to come here.

And how dare he not trade for a #1 netminder because every team is just dying to trade theirs to us.

Where's my pitchfork and torch, we demand something now!!!!

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yeah, how dare Howson not sign that #1 netminder available on a short term deal that is willing to come here.

And how dare he not trade for a #1 netminder because every team is just dying to trade theirs to us.

Where's my pitchfork and torch, we demand something now!!!!

I, for one, haven't been demanding a true, established #1, so to speak (not that I'd turn one away if one became available). I'd settle for another NHL-caliber goaltender to come in and compete with Bob who isn't Steve Mason.

Fresh blood.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I, for one, haven't been demanding a true, established #1, so to speak (not that I'd turn one away if one became available). I'd settle for another NHL-caliber goaltender to come in and compete with Bob who isn't Steve Mason.

Fresh blood.
I think this is fair. I don't know that it's going to happen, but I'm willing to wait and see before setting fire to any great public building.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
This is how I feel that Mason is even being considered as an option for this coming season. He does not deserve a spot on this team.

When it comes to Steve Mason, Howson should be thinking of that old saying, "Fool me once; shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me - fool me four times, .......".

Old
07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
This is how I feel that Mason is even being considered as an option for this coming season. He does not deserve a spot on this team.

When it comes to Steve Mason, Howson should be thinking of that old saying, "Fool me once; shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me - fool me four times, .......".
This. I'm not burning anything down, but it seems like Howson has learned nothing. I think he's content to ride this out because he thought defense in front of the goalie was the biggest issue, well Sanford played better and in front of the same defense. I think he's handled this in typical Howsonian Fashion (Patent Pending), try to do the bare minimum and hope for the best. I don't think this team has faith in Mason anymore. Leaving him on the roster in anyway is extremely risky that he may get the call for extended action and we all know how damn difficult it is to acquire goaltenders during the season.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Skraut

Quote:

I agree, I don't want to see him in goal either, but what options are there?

Nobody is touching him with that contract, unless they desperately need to get to the cap floor.

This year's crop of UFA goaltenders have been dismal at best, yet it seams nearly every team is trying to pick through the bones of what is out there.

I don't think the team can afford it cash wise but I'd like to see Mason in the Springfield. I'd also like to see a more "tandom-ish" partner to push Bob. But unless the team trades for Bernier, that isn't going to happen. And it doesn't seem like it is going to happen.

I'm not thrilled about this move, but at the same time, I don't know what other options Howson has.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Dekanich?

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

Nobody is touching him with that contract, unless they desperately need to get to the cap floor.

This year's crop of UFA goaltenders have been dismal at best, yet it seams nearly every team is trying to pick through the bones of what is out there.

I don't think the team can afford it cash wise but I'd like to see Mason in the Springfield. I'd also like to see a more "tandom-ish" partner to push Bob. But unless the team trades for Bernier, that isn't going to happen. And it doesn't seem like it is going to happen.

I'm not thrilled about this move, but at the same time, I don't know what other options Howson has.
Agree with all of this.

Two obvious options, IMO, exist via the trade route - Luongo (probably not but I'd for sure be in on that) and Niemi (of whom I'm not a big fan, but I'd feel better about Niemi/Bob than Bob/Mason).

UFA options (including Clemmensen, (IMO) were never really that promising.

There may be some creative trade work that could be done on the goaltending front. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Dekanich?
Damn that becomes kinda interesting...

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 07-02-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:53 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:

I've typically been willing to give Howson the benefit of the doubt over the years. Last year, with the Dekanich signing, I think I said almost the exact same things you just did.

But this year? I'm done.

Goaltending has been a glaring need for at least months if not years (depending on who you ask around here). Howson himself has repeatedly acknowledged this.

It isn't about the options that aren't here NOW, it's about all the options and opportunities that seem to have passed between the declaration of needing help in net and this point today.

A few caveats -- I understand there is still time to go in the summer to address this and we don't really know what he has looked at in net. But it certainly looks/feels like he hasn't chased a whole lot of options there. Gustavson and ....

With four goaltenders under contract for the NHL/AHL it's starting to feel like this may be a finished product ... and that is scary.
I can understand the need to keep Mason when McEilhenny and York are your 3/4, but man do I really HATE the decision process that led to this point and question its wisdom.

Also, I don't buy the "can't get rid of Mason" argument.

This team has had ZERO problem buying out guys in the past.

Mason's deal only has one year left on it so it's hardly crippling to anyone. And, he is still young and has shown some talent.

You can't tell me there isn't at least one coach out there looking at him and thinking ... "Those guys screwed him up, but I can save him."

Bring someone else in. Then trade, waivers or buyout for Mason.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:54 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Dekanich?
Bob/Dex/Mase Battle Royale. Last two left standing are the tandem? The third is banished to Springfield to Battle with McBackup??

Maybe, but I reserve the right to say its a stupid idea IF Mason wins a spot. I flat want this kid gone and as Kallio pointed out, with one year left and likely no chance at resigning him short of a Stanley Cup on his back, I think you do the prudent thing here and just cut him loose. As I said, almost any tandem with Bob/???? is better than Bob/Mason. Dex better be healthy though. And in all honesty, with the way the his season went, I'd be surprised if anybody offered him a chance to win even a backup job in the NHL at this point.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Bob/Dex/Mase Battle Royale. Last two left standing are the tandem? The third is banished to Springfield to Battle with McBackup??

Maybe, but I reserve the right to say its a stupid idea IF Mason wins a spot. I flat want this kid gone and as Kallio pointed out, with one year left and likely no chance at resigning him short of a Stanley Cup on his back, I think you do the prudent thing here and just cut him loose. As I said, almost any tandem with Bob/???? is better than Bob/Mason. Dex better be healthy though. And in all honesty, with the way the his season went, I'd be surprised if anybody offered him a chance to win even a backup job in the NHL at this point.
Which would certainly make him available.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Bring someone else in.
This is the whole point of the discussion...

WHO?????

It's all the rage for politicians these days to run on the "I'm not the other guy" platform without giving any information about themselves. This argument seems the eerily similar. If all you're saying is it should be "Someone other than Mason" you really aren't providing any solutions to the problem.

Because McElhinney is was brought in, and he's not Steve Mason, and you're still not happy.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:13 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
This is the whole point of the discussion...

WHO?????

It's all the rage for politicians these days to run on the "I'm not the other guy" platform without giving any information about themselves. This argument seems the eerily similar. If all you're saying is it should be "Someone other than Mason" you really aren't providing any solutions to the problem.

Because McElhinney is was brought in, and he's not Steve Mason, and you're still not happy.

I'm not. McElhinney is probably one of the few goals I want less than Mason.

But you're ignoring the first part of this problem which is everything that happened before yesterday.
No Sanford, no Vokun, no Gustavson, no Clemmenson, etc. Some of these have been explained -- they didn't want Vokun for some reason, they wanted Gustavson but clearly missed on him.

My point is there WERE several whos who could've replaced Mason.

There are fewer whos now.

But if you need names, I'll gladly take Dex back for one.
Loungo and Bernier both could be had in trade. Though neither are likely to wind up in Columbus (my interest varies on cost), a move of either could shake another goaltender loose elsewhere.
Maybe a Nash trade will return a goalie (something I've been hoping it wouldn't come to).

As I said earlier, I concede there is still time to address what I (and clearly others) see as a problem with Steve Mason, but at this point in time, it isn't looking good... and much of that is by Howson's own doing.

To be perfectly clear, I understand the reality that Mason may be the #2 goaltender on this team in the fall. Understanding that, however, doesn't mean I have to like it and it sure as hell doesn't mean I have to throw my hands up and say "oh well, what could ever have been done!"
I think we both see the situation exactly the same other than the fact that I'm unhappy with it and you're willing to just shrug and regard it as just some bad luck for ol' Howson and the CBJ.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
But if you need names, I'll gladly take Dex back for one.
Loungo and Bernier both could be had in trade. Though neither are likely to wind up in Columbus (my interest varies on cost), a move of either could shake another goaltender loose elsewhere.
Maybe a Nash trade will return a goalie (something I've been hoping it wouldn't come to).

As I said earlier, I concede there is still time to address what I (and clearly others) see as a problem with Steve Mason, but at this point in time, it isn't looking good... and much of that is by Howson's own doing.

To be perfectly clear, I understand the reality that Mason may be the #2 goaltender on this team in the fall. Understanding that, however, doesn't mean I have to like it and it sure as hell doesn't mean I have to throw my hands up and say "oh well, what could ever have been done! Poor Howson."
Your list + Josh Harding would have been my list. IMO Dex would have be on a two-way contract vs. the one way he was on last year.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Skraut

Quote:
I think we both see the situation exactly the same other than the fact that I'm unhappy with it and you're willing to just shrug and regard it as just some bad luck for ol' Howson and the CBJ.
Probably...

Being from Cleveland I know an awful lot about losing, and have no concept of winning.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Probably...

Being from Cleveland I know an awful lot about losing, and have no concept of winning.
Buffalo Bills and New York Mets fan here, believe me I'm sympathetic.