HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds re-sign Gaustad 4 years 13 million.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:09 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Yet neither provide the dynamic scoring needed in the playoffs to take this team to the next level.

And regardless, does anyone feel like having that much money tied up in defensive centers is smart usage of money?
Legwand has 22 points in 28 playoff games across the past three seasons. Perception vs reality. Fisher has 11 points in 22 playoff games as a Pred. They get labeled as "defensive centers" but somehow we have two of them in the top 30 of league scoring at the position. That to me indicates solid two-way play from them while a guy like Gaustad is a defensive center.

The guys we bring in to score goals ... say Radulov ... aren't there. Gaustad had as many playoff goals as Rads, not quite filling the role of sniper as expected.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Legwand has 22 points in 28 playoff games across the past three seasons. Perception vs reality. Fisher has 11 points in 22 playoff games as a Pred. They get labeled as "defensive centers" but somehow we have two of them in the top 30 of league scoring at the position. That to me indicates solid two-way play from them while a guy like Gaustad is a defensive center.

The guys we bring in to score goals ... say Radulov ... aren't there. Gaustad had as many playoff goals as Rads, not quite filling the role of sniper as expected.
And yet we haven't made it out of the second round. Still not enough.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
And yet we haven't made it out of the second round. Still not enough.
Easy to blame one position for not making it out of the second round ... which isn't a rare thing for franchises to experience for prolonged periods of time. This was the first time the Kings made it past the 2nd round since they lost in the finals .... the second time the Blues or Rangers did it since the Preds came into existence, first time for the Jets/Yotes since the 80s. Just making the conference finals is a rare occurrence.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Easy to blame one position for not making it out of the second round ... which isn't a rare thing for franchises to experience for prolonged periods of time. This was the first time the Kings made it past the 2nd round since they lost in the finals .... the second time the Blues or Rangers did it since the Preds came into existence, first time for the Jets/Yotes since the 80s. Just making the conference finals is a rare occurrence.
Not blaming that one position. My thought process is that the Predators need more scoring (in terms of dynamic scoring) to reach that next level. I feel like the Predators have too much money tied up into those 3 centers when that money could perhaps be used on more scoring. I like Gaustad, Legwand and Fisher, however I think we only need 1 or 2 of the three. But that's my opinion. We'll see how it plays out. So far it hasn't worked out.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Not blaming that one position. My thought process is that the Predators need more scoring (in terms of dynamic scoring) to reach that next level. I feel like the Predators have too much money tied up into those 3 centers when that money could perhaps be used on more scoring. I like Gaustad, Legwand and Fisher, however I think we only need 1 or 2 of the three. But that's my opinion. We'll see how it plays out. So far it hasn't worked out.
With two of the top 30 scoring centers, yet only one of the top 30 left or right wings (of a 60 possible) ... is it a problem at center, or wing?

Old
07-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Stranger

Quote:
With two of the top 30 scoring centers, yet only one of the top 30 left or right wings (of a 60 possible) ... is it a problem at center, or wing?
We need better wingers.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:39 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
A lot of other teams are mocking the 'overpayment' for Gaustad.
Well, the dough-boy out in LA - Penner - just got $3.25 for a year. 7G 11A last year. We can all say OverPay for Goose all day, but I'd gladly take him over Penner; although I'd prefer 3 yrs not 4.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Well, the dough-boy out in LA - Penner - just got $3.25 for a year. 7G 11A last year. We can all say OverPay for Goose all day, but I'd gladly take him over Penner; although I'd prefer 3 yrs not 4.
He took a $1M pay cut to stay. Stoll took a sizable one to stay in LA, as well. Both have much more offensive potential than Goose, even though they both had down years last year. Lombardi has a much better chance of getting his money's worth out of those two than we do out of Gaustad.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:01 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He took a $1M pay cut to stay. Stoll took a sizable one to stay in LA, as well. Both have much more offensive potential than Goose, even though they both had down years last year. Lombardi has a much better chance of getting his money's worth out of those two than we do out of Gaustad.
He took that paycut cause no one would give him more. It's a 1yr deal - that's the club saying "we think you've hit a decline that's permanent" and the player saying "I'll prove you wrong".

G -29,23,17,32,23; then 7. A -16,24,20,31,22; then 10? On a better team, with better linemates? In a prominent offensive role? That's not a down year, that's lost. Sure, Lombardi might get a few more points outta' Penner, but better overall contribution for the buck? Not so sure. But money's worth; they're all overpaid, but that's free agency in today's NHL.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Shea Weber

NHL network had him listed as the 2nd best Center available. Supply is low, price goes up. Econ 101.

It's a lot of $ for a bottom 6 guy but he has Predator hockey written all over him. Its just too good of a fit, we need a guy like this. Smart signing imo.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:20 AM
VaporTrail
GOODBYE D'arse !!!

vCash: 200
The Goose strikes fear into many a man. You got to watch it when the Goose is Loose !!!

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote