HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Michael Leighton (1-year @ $900k)

Old
07-01-2012, 03:10 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
you're saying Leighton was the reason why we steamrolled Montreal?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Justified
Amaro out

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:12 PM

This is getting a little ridiculous. He's not THAT bad. Aside from that one series against Chicago he actually did pretty alright for us.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
you're saying Leighton was the reason why we steamrolled Montreal?
Nobody is saying that. He was a part of the reason though.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:14 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Nobody is saying that. He was a part of the reason though.
Montreal had nothing left, physically or emotionally

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:19 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
He's an NHL backup, AHL starter. Good signing, he deserves it after saving the season for us in 2010.
He got $3.1 million as a thank you for 2010. The Flyers don't owe him a ****ing red cent. He is NOT an NHL player. He is a good AHL goalie and that's where he belongs.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Cardds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Montreal had nothing left, physically or emotionally
I hate to say this but I guess Pittsburgh left a mark on them just as they did to the Flyers? Or was the MTL-PHI and NJD-PHI series' woes for both teams unrelated to playing Pittsburgh prior? Jw bc I'm not that smart

Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
YES YES YES..

welcome back Leights. lets get to work earning that starter position..

wohooo..

sooo happy right now
As I posted earlier, this post pretty much sums up why I didn't want Leighton. If you like the guy as the backup, eh, but if you're actually excited that he could be our starter if something happens to Bryzgalov...

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Cardds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
As I posted earlier, this post pretty much sums up why I didn't want Leighton. If you like the guy as the backup, eh, but if you're actually excited that he could be our starter if something happens to Bryzgalov...

Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
The biggest problem I have with this deal, is that there are a bunch of people who I know that are un-intelligent Flyer fans and still think Michael Leighton is some great answer to our goaltending problems. I can't wait until Bryzgalov goes through another struggle and people start jumping on the start Leighton express.
No sarcasm.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I can't believe there are peeler who think Leighton is an NHL player despite the tremendous amount of evidence which proves otherwise

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
let me guess.. if the teamplays good this year. itll be the teams effort. but if we play poorly its all Leights fault..

yea thats what i thought..

broken record is broken
If the team plays poorly MFL is utterly incapable of bailing them out.

07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
He got $3.1 million as a thank you for 2010. The Flyers don't owe him a ****ing red cent. He is NOT an NHL player. He is a good AHL goalie and that's where he belongs.
And then lied about an injury to boot, and put the team in a tough spot to start the season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

WTF! What this guy have to do to be banished from this team forever....this is absurd. He's a liar and a choker and they sign him......I hope there is some other method to this madness.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

The back-up pool was pretty shallow this season.

I can see the one year deal; not terribly happy with the signing, but it certainly isn't the end of the world. The team wins with Bryz in net; whoever the back-up was going to be wasn't going to be the answer this year.

The one year deal suggests they're hoping for a better free agent pool for next year. Leighton's a back-up stop gap.

07-01-2012, 05:34 PM
RussianRocket10

Meh it's cheap. Back-up goalie. Doesn't bother me.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:52 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
And then lied about an injury to boot, and put the team in a tough spot to start the season.
What caused him to lie? I think every player who ever lied about an injury did so because he most likely felt management might not take care of them if they knew. Self preservation.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:02 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
What caused him to lie? I think every player who ever lied about an injury did so because he most likely felt management might not take care of them if they knew. Self preservation.
Wow. Are you a relative or something? Leighton's behaviour from hoping one or two of his teammates gets injured, to throwing his teammates under the bus and blaming them for sucking, and then lying to the team about a serious injury, is vile and disgusting. He's a lowlife where his career is concerned. If he showed any sign of professionalism, he might not get the amount of hated he's earned. And make no mistake, he's earned every ounce he gets.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:16 PM
IceHot

setting the record straight

Some people are not being logical, they are speaking through emotions, so lets get the facts straight.

ML is no longer that AHL journeyman he showed to be before getting to that goalie maturity level and no longer that type of scrub before Reese pointed out and worked on his flaws that dramatically improved his game. ML has a quick glove hand that is superior to many of the goalies we see today. ML is poised and not dazed by pressure or bad defensive outings, he does bounce back and can steal games during poor defensive lapses.
ML does however seem to have a problem with long season heavy work loads which he was not accustomed to after sitting on the bench, therefore as the season goes on his play tails off at the very end like last year in the AHL and that series against Chicago.
Of course we were playing the best team that was stacked offensively that our guys were to exhausted to cover and it was an offensive style series where both goalies were left to hang out to dry, so penalizing who ML is through his developing past or situations somewhat out of his control is extremely unfair, unwarranted and unappreciative to what he did do and can do.
Let's see if 1) he truly is the backup this year (this could be insurance in case we can't grab one)
and 2) let's see how he does with this defense in front of him in this new situation and how the team plays in front of him
Then we can pass judgment.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
Some people are not being logical, they are speaking through emotions, so lets get the facts straight.

ML is no longer that AHL journeyman he showed to be before getting to that goalie maturity level and no longer that type of scrub before Reese pointed out and worked on his flaws that dramatically improved his game. ML has a quick glove hand that is superior to many of the goalies we see today. ML is poised and not dazed by pressure or bad defensive outings, he does bounce back and can steal games during poor defensive lapses.
ML does however seem to have a problem with long season heavy work loads which he was not accustomed to after sitting on the bench, therefore as the season goes on his play tails off at the very end like last year in the AHL and that series against Chicago.
Of course we were playing the best team that was stacked offensively that our guys were to exhausted to cover and it was an offensive style series where both goalies were left to hang out to dry, so penalizing who ML is through his developing past or situations somewhat out of his control is extremely unfair, unwarranted and unappreciative to what he did do and can do.
Let's see if 1) he truly is the backup this year (this could be insurance in case we can't grab one)
and 2) let's see how he does with this defense in front of him in this new situation and how the team plays in front of him
You're funny.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I know, right?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:25 PM
BringBackStevens

Leighton is not an NHL player. This was a poor move, especially with what we have seen from bryz

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Leighton showed signs of a seriously flawed personality between comments to the media and his lying, to take our organization as fools and milk 3 million for nothing more than a lucky steak.

Leighton is a piece of **** and holmgren is a moron for bringing him back.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Damaged Goods

In 30 years we will be erecting a Michael Leighton statue at the Art Museum to celebrate one of the great redemptive folk-heroes of our time.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote