HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Tanner Glass (2 years | $1.1M per)

Old
07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Pancakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Cool, but if you're talking about sending him to the minors, he probably won't clear waivers. Then we've lost a good prospect for nothing.

I'm fine with starting Tangradi on the 4th line and seeing where things go from there, I think he's earned at least that much.
And what if he sucks (as he has in basically ever call-up so far?)? Then we waive him and we're stuck with nothing.

A good compromise if people are that intent on keeping Tangradi up: sign another 4th liner as insurance and let Adams/Tangradi/Vitale/Glass fight for playing time.

I'm just not comfortable with handing him the reigns completely. I'm fine with giving him a chance, but I'd like to have insurance in case he continues to be ******.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
It's not giving up on him. If he does well he can still come up and earn a spot depending on injuries, etc.

Just giving Tangradi a spot without making him earn it. That's a bad plan. Especially on a team with cup aspirations. We aren't in the business of throwing young players on the team and hoping they don't sink. They need to earn their spots. We're in win now mode.
You don't throw away a potentially good player to keep Craig Adams. He will be in the NHL this year. If its not with us, someone else will pick him up on waivers. And he has earned a spot over Adams. He is a better player. With Glass here, Adams is now at best our number 5 PK guy behind Cooke, Dupuis, Sutter and Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I don't really care how 'good' our 12th forward is. I want someone that's going to help keep Sid and Geno in one piece
Right, Asham has done a great job of that

Quote:

I'm just not comfortable with handing him the reigns completely. I'm fine with giving him a chance, but I'd like to have insurance in case he continues to be ******.
But you are happy with Adams there, who is **** and is getting ****tier

Adams as the 13th is fine I guess, though honestly I'd rather Jeffrey.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
But you are happy with Adams there, who is **** and is getting ****tier

Adams as the 13th is fine I guess, though honestly I'd rather Jeffrey.
Adams is a good pker. He's horrible at even strength. Tangradi does...absolutely nothing.

I'm all for giving him a chance, just uncomfortable with just giving the guy a spot. Give him a shot but don't say it's his no matter what. If he gets his shot and sucks, you've got to have a backup plan.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Adams is a good pker. He's horrible at even strength. Tangradi does...absolutely nothing.

I'm all for giving him a chance, just uncomfortable with just giving the guy a spot. Give him a shot but don't say it's his no matter what. If he gets his shot and sucks, you've got to have a backup plan.
Right. Adams or Jeffrey as the 13th. But by the end of last year, Tangradi was clearly the better player. Adding an extra PK guy just lowers Adams value. If we manage to get Parise, Adams will have no role here.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
A quote from one of my posts in the offseason discussion thread.

Good call.

I like it. He adds decent size and a lot of physicality.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Jacob

Quote:
And what if he sucks (as he has in basically ever call-up so far?)? Then we waive him and we're stuck with nothing.

A good compromise if people are that intent on keeping Tangradi up: sign another 4th liner as insurance and let Adams/Tangradi/Vitale/Glass fight for playing time.

Glass, Vitale, Jeffrey, Adams and Tangradi will all be competing for a job on that 4th line. Between those 5, we should be able to find 3 capable 4th liners.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:24 PM
JTG

Definitely needed a guy like him. Glad to see him coming to Pittsburgh

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:40 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I like Tangradi. I do. I just don't get the all out nut-hugging love affair people on here have with him. He played a 4th of the season last year and didn't have a goal. He's never produced anything, except for screening a goalie on our one PP goal a few years ago in the playoffs. Some guys on here would have him on a top line with Sid and Geno.
Could you show me an example of this "all out nut-hugging love affair"?

I see people saying Tangradi should play on the 4th, MAYBE the 3rd line. Is that really "all out nut-hugging love affair" level in your mind?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
New Penguin Tanner Glass, "I'm extremely excited to be in Pittsburgh. Thanks to everyone who made my time in Winnipeg so enjoyable."

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
More Tanner Glass, "I'm looking forward to wearing the Penguins sweater."

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Not big on paying a 4th liner over $1mm, but I am happy that we replaced Asham. Still, a lot better than paying Prust over $2mm (ridiculous) or Tootoo $1.9mm. This is the first year I recall 4th liners cashing in so much. All things considered, worse money could have been spent.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Could you show me an example of this "all out nut-hugging love affair"?

I see people saying Tangradi should play on the 4th, MAYBE the 3rd line. Is that really "all out nut-hugging love affair" level in your mind?
Yeah, I saved all the posts. Hell, go back to any GDT's and you'll see major ******** every time Tangradi is scratched. What I heard quite a bit was, 'he'll just waste away on the 3rd and 4th line, he should be playing w/ Geno, etc". Cause remember that year Geno and Malone played well together for like 3 months? Surely the same thing would happen with Tangradi.

Like I said, I like the kid, and he deserves a legitimate shot at a spot. I'd rather see him over Adams honestly. Tangradi-Vitale-Glass would be okay with me. But before he can live up to his 'potential', he needs to pot a goal or two.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Tanner Glass had "almost identical" offer from Vancouver, but chose the Penguins instead.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
Not big on paying a 4th liner over $1mm, but I am happy that we replaced Asham. Still, a lot better than paying Prust over $2mm (ridiculous) or Tootoo $1.9mm. This is the first year I recall 4th liners cashing in so much. All things considered, worse money could have been spent.
It looks like it's pretty hard these days to get a 4th line banger/scrapper for under 1 million.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:50 PM
SirBrad

4th line looks have decent.

Glass-Vitale-Adams

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post

Glass-Vitale-Adams
with competition from Jeffrey and Tangradi.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post

Glass-Vitale-Adams
VAG line, I like it.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Didn't wanna read all the post here, but surely this "Dan talked to me this morning" has to be bc of the timezone, right? Otherwise, wouldn't that be tampering?

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLiquorLicense View Post
I like the signing. Reminds me of a younger, more chippy Craig Adams. Ivy League. PK ability. Zero offensive instincts. Below average fighter(though Glass is probably better in that department). Similar size.
Basically hit the nail on the head.

He's your classic north-south energy player, he plays an almost exclusively dump and chase game and hits anything that moves. Also, from all accounts he's an extremely well liked guy among teammates and in the community.

Real blue-collar player who should endear himself to Pens fans.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:09 PM
JTG

We just need him to run guys through the boards. That's all we need.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

I wish we could just waive Adams to be honest.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I wish we could just waive Adams to be honest.
one of him, Tangradi or Jeffrey are on their way out. My guess is at camp to allow for competition.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:58 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

I am really happy about this signing. I could be mistaken, but I believe I got the Tanner Glass conversation going between us. It's finally nice to get one right with all of you brilliant hockey minds around! I think he is a perfect fit for us.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:36 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
I was hoping for Tootoo, but considering the salaries I'm fine with Glass. Should be a good addition. Hits, plays defensive, and plays good D. Sounds good to me.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:01 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Upgrade over Asham. Less skilled, but we're not using the fourth liner for skills, are we? I love the signing. Guy is a fan favourite wherever he's been.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Honour Over Glory

Not sure if it was mentioned but the Canucks offered him the same contract to bring him back and he chose the Penguins to be on a team that could win the cup. I sort of remember him with the Canucks and the Jets and remember a decent fighter that was physical and decent hands.

He has better hands than Adams, which isn't saying a whole lot, because Adams sucks but Glass is a decent guy with the puck, he can cycle down low and surprise you with a nice play here and there. I like that signing for the bottom 6.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote