HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Full shield for cage question

Old
07-01-2012, 09:36 AM
drivesrf

vCash: 500
Full shield for cage question

So I currently use a Bauer Conept II face shield, but it fogs up and it's really hot in there. I have never used a cage, but I can assume it offers better air flow. The thing is i absolutely hate things touching my chin, and every cage I see has a chin cup. Does anyone know if they make cages that do not have a chin cup, and offers good visibility? Or can you remove the chin cup and still have the cage function. Thanks!

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:39 AM
AIREAYE

What's the point of having a cage without a chin cup? What's going to absorb a blow to the cage?

Why don't you wear a visor?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
OpenIceHit42

Your asking for trouble if you don't wear a chin cup inside your cage. You can be the best skater in the world but someway somehow you will find yourself on the ground.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Danglous

Full glass shields are crap. They fog too easily and nobody can hear you talk. The full cage will take a little getting used to but after a while it feels like there is nothing there. Try to find one of the newer models that are super light weight and offer more vision through the cage. Youll have to get used to the chin cup, but playing without it is just stupid.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Please don't try to wear a cage without a chin cup. You're just asking for stitches. Try to wear a cage for a handful of games, force yourself to not worry about the chin cup. After a couple games I guarantee you won't notice the chin cup anymore.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Try to find one of the newer models that are super light weight and offer more vision through the cage.
Any recommendations?

Old
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
Any recommendations?
Bauer Re-Akt. Lightest cage on the market.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Danglous

Any of the newer Bauer models will do. I got mine on clearance I think its a 9000 or 9500 or something like that

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:20 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Any of the newer Bauer models will do. I got mine on clearance I think its a 9000 or 9500 or something like that
Stay away from the 5100 cage. I have the helmet/cage combo, love the helmet but hate the cage on that thing. Seems like it rides to high on my chin and not real comfortable if I loosen it anymore.

I am looking for a decent priced 7500 or higher cage on eBay or Craigslist. Don't really want to pay $50 for another cage

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:13 AM
drivesrf

I think I'm going to go with wither the Bauer re-akt ,9500, or 9900. I have an Easton S9 helmet, size large, which size cage would I get? Also large?

Last edited by drivesrf: 07-02-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
AIREAYE

Perhaps; cages are sized according to your face so place a cage over your helmet and see which one fits your face better.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
I think I'm going to go with wither the Bauer re-akt ,9500, or 9900. I have an Easton S9 helmet, size large, which size cage would I get? Also large?
The Easton helmets runner a little slimmer so most Bauer cages will need to be bent slightly to fit the s9. So don be alarmed when it seems a little big for your helmet.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:53 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

I you're not scared of looking a bit like a tool you can loosen the cage. Just loosen where it snaps onto your helmet, so your cage dangles a little bit. The chin cup won be touching your chin, but if you get smashed in the face, the cup will still protect you.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Please don't try to wear a cage without a chin cup. You're just asking for stitches. Try to wear a cage for a handful of games, force yourself to not worry about the chin cup. After a couple games I guarantee you won't notice the chin cup anymore.

My chin seconds that thought.

Steelhead16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:02 PM
deanosaur

I'm sorry but bringing up weightness is kinda irrelevant. You won't buy a cage now adays that significantly weighs down your head.

If you're that crazy about anything touching your chin, just buy a big visor, like Dany Heatley.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

With my M11, my cage doesn't touch my chin, it's maybe 1/2" off? With my Reebok helmet, it touches the chin. It's tight into the J-clips, which should take the brunt of any impact.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:51 AM
drivesrf

So, I went with the Reebok 11k cage gun metal color. Used it last night and it was great didn't really affect my vision and the air flow was great, and OBVIOUSLY did not fog up on me haha. I felt that bauer re-akt that thing is like a feather! But the store didn't have a large and I did not want to spend $80 on a cage.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:22 PM
SkateThroughIt

I like the Jofa 480. Plenty of vision. Add some hang, never remove the chin cup. My chin cup never touches my chin. (Unless I get hit.)

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:45 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOway57 View Post
I like the Jofa 480. Plenty of vision. Add some hang, never remove the chin cup. My chin cup never touches my chin. (Unless I get hit.)
In which case, would do more damage than if it actually touched the chin...

Leaving the cage hanging is a comfort thing, though people say it adds style, no one really cares.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:02 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Leaving the cage hanging is a comfort thing, though people say it adds style, no one really cares.
I find that all the "I do it b/c it looks cool" starts to wear off quite a bit with age. I mean I prefer the way certain things look, but to me comfort and protection mean a lot more. I have the 9900 cage. Does it look as good as an FM 480? No, but it is light as hell and protects my teeth.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd have to think just wearing a cage, even if it's too big, 95% of the time you get "clipped" and don't notice, or maybe a couple times a year you take a puck or stick to the cage hard, but still don't notice. You'd have to get full on smoked to really smash your face, which might happen in high school or college, but men's league would be rare, and man it would still hurt like hell if you had a visor.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
SkateThroughIt

Quote:
In which case, would do more damage than if it actually touched the chin...

I disagree. I've had someone punch me in the face with hang and the way it was intended. Hang hurts less, hands down. When it has no hang, it feels like your going to pass out. I highly recommend trying this.

It's definitely a comfort thing. My chin cup is only 1/4" off my chin.

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:41 PM
oldfart

Quote:
What's the point of having a cage without a chin cup? What's going to absorb a blow to the cage?
gotta give big Kudos to my Helmet Cage combo...
I got clocked pretty hard on Monday Nite pickup and prolly woulda had a dislocated jaw if not for the helmet/cage.
I was movin up the right bds in pursuit of a loose biscuit and an opposing player cut over from the other side. I wasn;t thinking he was gonna hit me, but he did. He caught me with his shoulder pad at the side on the head, just at jaw line. Woulda caught my jaw from the side for sure, as the first point of contact. As it was the cage and Helmet/padding took most of the force and my head got spun a bit. I went down, saw some stars and planets, took a rest for a bit then slowly shook out the cobwebs.
Guy was a bigger, young noob (30ish 200+ lber), and was just shakey when he moved with speed. I was leaned forward and stretched, and reachin a bit - so not in the best position to get hit anyway.
He was real apologetic, and I absolved him of guilt. I think he was out of control before getting to me. I coulda been pissed, but he scared himself more than iff'n I had torn him a new one... He was much better controlled the rest of the session.
AS of today, my neck is still sore - but all ended OK.

For future, I will roll with more 'prep' when I sense Big Noobs in my space...
Anyway, the Chincup helped a lot. I keep mine tight enough to touch but not enough to restrict jaw movement - seems right after all the analysis.

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Fanned On It

I really don't understand all of the vision complaints people have with full cages. I use a white one and I can see fine all around me, I make the same plays I can make without it. I feel like the white helps add contrast against the puck so that MAYBE it would make the puck stand out more... could just be a placebo effect, though.

The only time I feel like a cage alters my on-ice vision is when I put it back on AFTER having it off for pick-up or clinic. After 10 minutes of skating with it back on everything is back to normal and I don't notice a difference.

I don't know, I think maybe everyone that says that it hampers their vision are just using that as an excuse because they like the way visors look. If you like visors because you think they "look cool", then say that... don't make up excuses lol.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOway57 View Post
I disagree. I've had someone punch me in the face with hang and the way it was intended. Hang hurts less, hands down. When it has no hang, it feels like your going to pass out. I highly recommend trying this.

It's definitely a comfort thing. My chin cup is only 1/4" off my chin.
The acceleration of any high energy impact will be compounded with any significant gap between the sending force and receiving object. Another thing that absorbs impacts are actually the J-clips. If your cage is large enough that it will hang naturally, any impact will have the cage hit the clips first before your chin.

I have some hang to my cage too, it's purely a comfort thing.