HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Kris Newbury (2 years)

Old
07-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

vCash: 500
Rangers re-sign Kris Newbury (2 years)

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Kris Newbury back to NYR on a 2 year, two-way deal.

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:14 PM
TheRightWay

Huzzah

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:32 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Huzzah
what does that mean??

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:42 PM
bernmeister

Not a fan. This guy is real deadwood.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
He's a great AHL player and won't hurt you as an extra forward. He'll likely spend the vast majority of his time in Hartford. What's the problem?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He's a great AHL player and won't hurt you as an extra forward. He'll likely spend the vast majority of his time in Hartford. What's the problem?
This. He will likely be in Hartford for 90% of the season. I don't care the slightest bit about this signing.

07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I actually think the plan is for Haley and Newbury to battle it out in camp for 4th line center...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Our assortment of signings today, while pretty smart and reasonable, makes us look like the scrappiest bunch of little agitators in the league. Only adding Konopka on top of that would have made it worse, but he went elsewhere.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I agree. This guy is a pro. It may not equate so much on an NHL level but he's become close to a point a game player in the AHL and he's a battler. He'll give our AHL team a 1st line vet player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:22 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I actually think the plan is for Haley and Newbury to battle it out in camp for 4th line center...
Haley I think would win. He has more to offer.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
94rangers

Newbury

Has a shot to become the Rangers 4th line center....nice mix of skill, grit, and speed.....I like this signing!

94rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
Anyone know the details of the contract?

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
This. He will likely be in Hartford for 90% of the season. I don't care the slightest bit about this signing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I agree. This guy is a pro. It may not equate so much on an NHL level but he's become close to a point a game player in the AHL and he's a battler. He'll give our AHL team a 1st line vet player.

Every AHL team worth its salt carries a handful of minor league veterans to provide leadership for its developing players. The reality of minor league hockey is that you might have 5 legitimate prospects on your AHL roster, if you're lucky. The rest of the roster is essentially there for depth and support.

If you try to fill your minor league roster entirely with younger "prospects", you will likely lose most of your games and wind up with dreadful evironment for player development. If you've ever followed minor league hockey, you'd know this to be true.

Ideally you should have at least one forward on your AHL roster (preferably more) with a touch of NHL experience, who can be productive on the top line but accepts his role as a mentor and emergency call up. Newbury, who was among the top ten scorers in the AHL last season, fits this role perfectly.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Haley I think would win. He has more to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94rangers View Post
Has a shot to become the Rangers 4th line center....nice mix of skill, grit, and speed.....I like this signing!
Newbury is a vastly more productive offensive player than Haley. That said, I think Newbury was signed for depth and to be a veteran leader on the Whale.

It isn't exactly that Haley has more to offer, but he's a bit younger & a much better fighter. Both Newbury & Haley are as scrappy as they come. But while Newbury will lose most of his fights, Haley for his diminuative size is one of the best fighters in hockey. Think PJ Stock.

With Asham & Rupp on the roster, I doubt there's room for Haley on the big club. But he's there if either of them falter.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:23 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Newbury is a vastly more productive offensive player than Haley. That said, I think Newbury was signed for depth and to be a veteran leader on the Whale.

It isn't exactly that Haley has more to offer, but he's a bit younger & a much better fighter. Both Newbury & Haley are as scrappy as they come. But while Newbury will lose most of his fights, Haley for his diminuative size is one of the best fighters in hockey. Think PJ Stock.

With Asham & Rupp on the roster, I doubt there's room for Haley on the big club. But he's there if either of them falter.
We're not just talking about AHL production though. Newbury's AHL numbers have never translated to the NHL. It may just be because of the kind of roles he's been put in when called up but at 30 years old now--that's not going to change.

Haley apparently has a two way contract the first year and a one way the second. That tells you the Rangers think he has at least a decent chance to become a big leaguer. As fighters--Newbury fights several times a year. Haley is more like Prust--he racks them up. Haley is also much better at it. He's quick and he can swing with either hand. He surprises a lot of his opponents with this ability to change hands which is one reason he often beats guys much bigger than him. And he can take a punch.

I think the Rangers are going to have to push Haley's game up a notch. If he can broaden his job description like Prust did--become a good defensive minded forward who blocks shots and kills penalties and chip in a few points here and there--essentially we'll have the same thing with him as we had with Prust--only a lot cheaper.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:32 AM
NYR Viper

Whale signing. He was great down in the AHL and he can be called up for a few games at a time and not look totally out of place. Good depth signing that knows the system and can play wing or center. I was hoping they would bring him back. Next would be Deveaux please.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:35 AM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Why are people getting hung up about re-signing an AHL veteran?

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:23 PM
94rangers

Newbury

Agreed, he provides good veteran leadership to a young (and getting younger) Whale core, and can fill in when needed with the big club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post

94rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
Because guys like him, Mitchell, and Deveaux always find their way onto the team and get played too much.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
Because guys like him, Mitchell, and Deveaux always find their way onto the team and get played too much.
Newbury played in 7 NHL games last season and cracked 7 minutes of ice time once.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Newbury played in 7 NHL games last season and cracked 7 minutes of ice time once.
He played 11 games in 2010-2011. Deveaux played 9 games last year too and had no place on an NHL roster. It's not a big deal though since we now have Boyle, Haley, Rupp, and Asham... all guys who should be 4th liners although I'm sure Boyle will be on the 3rd line to start the season.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
Newbury & Deveaux are productive veteran AHL players who saw limited time with the Rangers as emergency call ups. Mitchell stuck because Torts liked having a good faceoff & defensively responsible center on the 4th line, as opposed to a Christensen or Zuccarello as the 12th forward. That's a gripe you might have with Torts, but it shouldn't preclude the Rangers from putting together a quality AHL team.

I imagine your argument is that the Rangers should sign better players for their AHL team. But the reality is that players like Newbury are as good as it gets for that kind of veteran depth/leadership role. Players who are any "better" than that will be malcontents who don't want to be in the AHL, or young players who aren't ready to be emergency call ups. If not Newbury, then whom would you suggest for that role?

Old
07-03-2012, 05:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

2 years/$1.2M. Two way contract for both years.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=203

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Officially announced.

Seth Rothman ‏@RothmanHockey
#Rangers announce they've signed Kris Newbury. Believe it was done on Sunday, but, the ink is now dry. Believed to be two-year, two-way deal

07-03-2012, 02:37 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Good signing for the whale and even for the big club, he can be a call up for the 4th line when we need a gritty player.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote