HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Alex Semin - Plan B

Old
06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
So is Anisimov, and for the most part Stepan. Now if you tell me that they're good 2-way players, that's fine, but they play within a system, which is what Semin will do as well. As long as he isn't a liability, he should be able to do what we're bringing him in for.
That's patently untrue.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Alex Semin will not help us to win a Cup.

I'd take a flier for a year or two but I don't see any scenario where he accepts that. He wants to get paid and he wants to be "the guy".

Quote:
Even with a new coach coming for the Capitals following Dale Hunter's departure Monday, that role doesn't appear to be in Washington. He averaged 16:47 of ice time this season, the lowest since his rookie year.

"I think the issue is with the organization, not necessarily with the coach," Gandler said. "They told us Alex is not going to play short-handed, he's not going to play in the last minute. He's going to get the same ice time as everybody else ... Alex is not ready to be a role player. He wants to be a full-time player. It's important to him."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/79...ed-free-agency

06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'm not a huge fan of "by the numbers" analysis, but this article was pretty interesting:

Quote:
Maybe the most impressive thing I can point out about Semin is his overall 2-way performance relative to the rest of the league. Of 125 players with 2500 5v5 zone start adjusted minutes of ice time over the past 3 season, Semin ranks 5th in GF20 (trailing only D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Toews, and Stamkos) and he ranks 13th in GA20. It truly is a rare combination (for example, the Sedinís rank 28 and 38 in GA20, Toews 60th and Stamkos 105th).
http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/15...ed-free-agent/

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:29 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Semin should get more ice time. I dont know about playing on the PK but he should definitely be on the 1st line LW and on the ice during the last minute of a game with his shot. If he gets the ice time i believe torts can get him to buy into the system. This is not zherdev or lisin that were talking about. He is a world better compared to those guys.

I'm not a big fan of Semin but its crazy to not want his shot on the PP. One of the best in the game. Its no wonder he is one of the best in the past 3 season from that statistical measure posted above.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Alex Semin will not help us to win a Cup.

I'd take a flier for a year or two but I don't see any scenario where he accepts that. He wants to get paid and he wants to be "the guy".

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/79...ed-free-agency
Honestly, it sounds like agent grand standing. He knows he needs to up his vaule & has to say anything he can to get the most money for his client, & if that inculdes blaming the Caps orginazation as a whole & not just the coach than that's what he is going to do.

The more I think about it the less it makes sense. The coaching staff makes those types of on ice in game decsions, not upper management.

As intriguing as I think Semin is I just don't know if it would work here.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm not a huge fan of "by the numbers" analysis, but this article was pretty interesting:

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/15...ed-free-agent/
I'm unfamiliar with those stats.

Is that to mean he's 5th best in G for per 20min & 13th worst in G against per 20min?

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:45 AM
pwoz

Semin has a sick shot, but Torts would tear him apart.

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Baby Punisher

One thing for sure is that Semin would get to be the guy on the Rangers for a couple of months at least while Gabs is out. If he starts of slow & Gabs comes back slow as well than we have huge issues.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:03 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Semin has a sick shot, but Torts would tear him apart.
We shouldn't let Torts.
We need a sniper. Semin costs only $$.
A win win for both sides is pay 1 mil over the projected max he'd command (6, maybe 7 mil long term) BUT ONLY PAY THAT 8ish mil FOR 1 YR.
We get sniper we need w/o losing assets.
Maybe he works out and this is a basis of something positive going forward.

If it fails, it only costs us 1 yr.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:16 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
We shouldn't let Torts.
A win win for both sides is pay 1 mil over the projected max he'd command (6, maybe 7 mil long term) BUT ONLY PAY THAT 8ish mil FOR 1 YR.

A big UFA forward like him will want a longish contract with guaranteed money, not be overpaid just one year. What if he gets hurt?

A bird in hand...

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:43 PM
MadHookUp

A lot of mixed feelings on this.

For those that say he wants a long term contract, I am not so sure. It seems the league is very sour on him. He might think he is better served trying to remove that image with a 1 year contract and potentially sign for bigger money. If the guy wasnt such a headcase, he would probably be one of the best players in the league and command 7m+. But as it is right now, he wont get that.

At least a couple ex-teamates have come out and publicly said the guy is a headcase. How often does that happen? You must have some serious character flaws to get someone to do that.

I love the risk/reward with Semin, but I seriously doubt he will work here. If it was 1 year, I would probably do it. There are so many good players that are going to be available next season, I would be saving money for that class. So I wouldnt have any problems giving Semin 5m for a year. If the guy is a headcase, cut him. Dolan wont care about the money.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
A lot of mixed feelings on this.

For those that say he wants a long term contract, I am not so sure. It seems the league is very sour on him. He might think he is better served trying to remove that image with a 1 year contract and potentially sign for bigger money. If the guy wasnt such a headcase, he would probably be one of the best players in the league and command 7m+. But as it is right now, he wont get that.

At least a couple ex-teamates have come out and publicly said the guy is a headcase. How often does that happen? You must have some serious character flaws to get someone to do that.

I love the risk/reward with Semin, but I seriously doubt he will work here. If it was 1 year, I would probably do it. There are so many good players that are going to be available next season, I would be saving money for that class. So I wouldnt have any problems giving Semin 5m for a year. If the guy is a headcase, cut him. Dolan wont care about the money.
staal already off market and u can expect getzlaf and Perry to be by then too

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
eco's bones

If the Rangers were to give him a year at say $4.5. I could live with it--but nothing long term. There's a lot about him that doesn't compute. He would definitely have to prove himself--the game in game out effort would have to be there before I'd be ready to commit anything more.

Saying that--I imagine the Rangers already have their own perceptions about Semin and those perceptions might not be very good. I more than expect that they know more than I do.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:05 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
staal already off market and u can expect getzlaf and Perry to be by then too
I am not so sure. You have to imagine Ryan will be gone. Selanne should be playing his last season. The Ducks are a team that has a budget below the cap ceiling. There are quite a few reasons for wanting to leave.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
A big UFA forward like him will want a longish contract with guaranteed money, not be overpaid just one year. What if he gets hurt?

A bird in hand...
Entirely correct, except for 1 possible difference maker exception.
We guesstimate Semin at 6-7m value. He is a couple of pegs below Malkin, Stamkos, Crosby in stature. These guys are your 8+ m per.

If Semin will gamble on not getting injured, we give him the overpayment FOR THE ONE YEAR ONLY.

He gets a chance to prove his talent borders the very upper echelons, at least bordering the uber-elite, and he should thus be paid accordingly. If successful, for his part, now he is looking at top, top dollar closer to 9ish mil per on a long multiyear.

Of course, with the outlay made to Richards, there is no way we can undertake that kind of commitment even if we wanted to.

But for a 1 year, with what we got and the support we can offer (great D, talented linemates for him, shot at SC), it is a good fit, on paper, in theory. And if it works out, we have inside track on extension. If he puts up 50+ goals, I'd pay him accordingly.

Of course, Torts has got to be scaled down.
Who among us with that level of talent and ability to write their own ticket will take another x% more if there is a lot of abuse involved. Fuhgedaboutit.

In the end, we should make this offer, give him something to think about, and see what kind of "bird" he is getting offered; is it 3-4 years at max 5ish mil which would strongly encourage him to consider my proposed offer, or is it 7-8 years of a full 7+minimum, in which case even if we upped the offer from 8 to 9m, it's still too much $$ for him to leave on the table.

In the end, IF Torts is a non-factor cause he's promised no aggravation, just regular coaching, all things will be equal, and our intangibles are superior, so it will be the $$. Then as I say, competition as to the shape of that final offer will decide it.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Dorado*

Give him 2-3 tops and make it guaranteed with incentives .
This guy as nuts as he is can play and is actually probably better away from the puck than Nash

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Crease

I'd offer Semin a take-it-or-leave-it 2 x 6.5 contract. Won't be the best offer he gets though.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Parker

A lot of analysts have been blasting Semin but I think he'd be a good fit for the Rangers top 6 without having to give up assets to get him. Much rather see the Rangers get him than Nash.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Vitto79

You know what screw it. I am on board for this. The UFA list sucks, Rangers have some space and at the very least the guy is going to score goals. Yea he may drive us nuts based on some lazy play but this team works hard and maybe he buys in.

Semin, Richards, Callahan
Kreider, Stepan, Gaborik
Hagelin, Dubinsky, Anisimov
Rupp, Boyle, Asham
Haley or Wellman sitting on their rears

done and done

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Dorado*

Get this guy give a competitive offer and if Torts the Clown is such a great coach get him to play . far better than gutting the team for Nash .
Also should be looking at Wellwood in WPG

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Something tells me you don't think he is such a good coach, which kind of makes your argument illogical.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:43 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
3 years, 20 million

Get it done

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:59 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
We shouldn't let Torts.

Oh, I agree. Semin is a .87 PPG player and I think a 1-2 year deal would be smart (esp since Gaborik is done in 2 years).

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Get this guy give a competitive offer and if Torts the Clown is such a great coach get him to play . far better than gutting the team for Nash .
Also should be looking at Wellwood in WPG
Torts the clown? Oh thats rightttt i forgot we finished 1st and made it to the ECF because we had great scoring and young raw unexperienced players that could coach themselves.

I hate stupidity.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
You know what screw it. I am on board for this. The UFA list sucks, Rangers have some space and at the very least the guy is going to score goals. Yea he may drive us nuts based on some lazy play but this team works hard and maybe he buys in.

Semin, Richards, Callahan
Kreider, Stepan, Gaborik
Hagelin, Dubinsky, Anisimov
Rupp, Boyle, Asham
Haley or Wellman sitting on their rears

done and done
This maybe, the best realistic lineup I have seen anyone post this offseason, including the ones people have made with NASH and Ryan. Even if you put hagelin on the first instead of Callahan, both those player can make up for Semin's lack of D.

Stepan Gaborik Kreider could be a 1st line and Semin Richards Hagelin/callahan could be the second. If Semin put up the same numbers he did this year, I think that alone would make this a very deadly team.

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote