HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Michael Leighton (1-year @ $900k)

Old
07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Broad st phantom

vCash: 500
Whatever, we all knew ML was gonna be the backup anyways after Bob was traded.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
Whatever, we all knew ML was gonna be the backup anyways after Bob was traded.
Doesn't make it less stupid. I'm going to want to puke whenever I see him on the bench or in net. It's bad enough he was so awful against the Hawks, that wasn't totally his fault because he was put in a position that he couldn't live up to but seeing him vs Buffalo in the 2011 playoffs should have been enough of a reminder to Homer that he was not an NHL goalie, starter or backup. But it appears the bike accident must have obliterated that performance from his memory.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Doesn't make it less stupid. I'm going to want to puke whenever I see him on the bench or in net. It's bad enough he was so awful against the Hawks, that wasn't totally his fault because he was put in a position that he couldn't live up to but seeing him vs Buffalo in the 2011 playoffs should have been enough of a reminder to Homer that he was not an NHL goalie, starter or backup. But it appears the bike accident must have obliterated that performance from his memory.
What is so stupid about signing a backup goalie to a sub-$1 million contract? He was not signed to be the starter, you know.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What is so stupid about signing a backup goalie to a sub-$1 million contract? He was not signed to be the starter, you know.
Because he's not even backup quality, and because he cost us the Cup with the single worst SCF goal ever, and because Flyers fans don't like him due to that and due to his ****** personality, and because it weakens our goalie depth and limits how many games Bryzgalov can skip.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Because he's not even backup quality, and because he cost us the Cup with the single worst SCF goal ever, and because Flyers fans don't like him due to that and due to his ****** personality, and because it weakens our goalie depth and limits how many games Bryzgalov can skip.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:43 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Are you serious? He's NOT a good backup! You've been around long enough to have seen his performances. There was absolutely no reason to sign him as soon as free agency began. Nobody claimed this guy when he was put on waivers so every other team knew his worth. If he was the last option, sign him for the league minimum because even with the cap space, we don't have a full roster yet and we don't know what the cap will really be once the new CBA is out. We all know he wasn't the last option so why not part ways and get someone better?

Old
07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Bottom line is no matter who the backup is if they are playing a significant amount of time because Bryz is not playing well, we're not going to win the Cup anyway. Doesn't matter who they bring in to be the backup. This was strictly a move to save money to spend it in other places because we spent a large amount of money on a #1 goalie last summer and he needs to start playing like it.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Flyerfan4life

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

We all forgot the worst part about Leighton hanging around

Quote:

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Are you laughing at yourself? Because that would make more sense.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
Bottom line is no matter who the backup is if they are playing a significant amount of time because Bryz is not playing well, we're not going to win the Cup anyway. Doesn't matter who they bring in to be the backup. This was strictly a move to save money to spend it in other places because we spent a large amount of money on a #1 goalie last summer and he needs to start playing like it.
dont you know its ALWAYS Leights fault..

pssh.. get with the program..you must be new here.. hahaah

Old
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
If you're expecting your backup to play a lot because you're expecting Bryz to fail then you should probably sign an NHL goalie.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
dont you know its ALWAYS Leights fault..

pssh.. get with the program..you must be new here.. hahaah
haha this is why i usually just read and don't post listen were there other options that are better then leighton, yes, am i going to get really upset at homer about it, no, because Bryz needs to be a #1 this year or else we're going nowhere. we can all agree on that!

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Are you serious? He's NOT a good backup! You've been around long enough to have seen his performances. There was absolutely no reason to sign him as soon as free agency began. Nobody claimed this guy when he was put on waivers so every other team knew his worth. If he was the last option, sign him for the league minimum because even with the cap space, we don't have a full roster yet and we don't know what the cap will really be once the new CBA is out. We all know he wasn't the last option so why not part ways and get someone better?
So who was your choice? Like I said in an earlier post, he'll get 20 or so starts, 12 or so wins, GAA around 3, and sv pct around .900. Just like most other backups, just like his career numbers. He's the backup. That's what backups do.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
So who was your choice? Like I said in an earlier post, he'll get 20 or so starts, 12 or so wins, GAA around 3, and sv pct around .900. Just like most other backups, just like his career numbers. He's the backup. That's what backups do.
There's a difference between starting and being a backup. Some goaltenders need the work to be effective, not start once every two weeks. That's the biggest reason why Leighton never stuck in the league to start with. You're basing your opinion on less than 50 games of NHL experience, and mainly on a hot streak when the Flyers finally adapted to Lavy's system in December of '09, and a few games against a Canadiens team that couldn't score.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
There's a difference between starting and being a backup. Some goaltenders need the work to be effective, not start once every two weeks. That's the biggest reason why Leighton never stuck in the league to start with. You're basing your opinion on less than 50 games of NHL experience, and mainly on a hot streak when the Flyers finally adapted to Lavy's system in December of '09, and a few games against a Canadiens team that couldn't score.
Guess we'll see.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Ryker

If there's one thing I have to hand it to him, it's that he didn't go home and sulk, but seemingly worked on his game in the AHL. Based on what I've seen - hey, I might be wrong - Bob would've just caved in and ran away along with his translator, vowing to never speak a word of English.

Like I said, I'm not overly happy with this signing, and I'm hoping Hovinen plays in the NHL next year, but this isn't the end of the world. It is true, though, that in the past couple of years teams that made the SC finals had better backups (yes, even the Kings with beach ball Bernier).

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Guess we'll see.
We've already seen

07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
In 30 years we will be erecting a Michael Leighton statue at the Art Museum to celebrate one of the great redemptive folk-heroes of our time.
You are clearly confusing Leighton with Laughton....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
We've already seen

can i get this weeks lotto numbers then ???

kkthxbye

Old
07-01-2012, 09:14 PM
hockeyphan25

The hatred for Leighton is unbelievable, meanwhile people want to resign Carle, better yet at 5-6m. I guess its better to make a bunch of mistakes every time your on the ice rather than one in the Cup after you were a huge part of getting the team there in the first place.

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
The hatred for Leighton is unbelievable, meanwhile people want to resign Carle, better yet at 5-6m. I guess its better to make a bunch of mistakes every time your on the ice rather than one in the Cup after you were a huge part of getting the team there in the first place.
Matt Carle is a NHL player. Michael Leighton is an AHL player.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
You don't know how many starts/wins he's going to get. Our team defence is way worse now than it was in 2010 and 2011 so he's not going to get the benefit of people cleaning up his atrocious rebounds. If Bryz gets injured, sick or melts down, are you really confident that Leighton is going to do the job? I would have taken Roloson, Ellis or Niitty ahead of him. That's just to start.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
If there's one thing I have to hand it to him, it's that he didn't go home and sulk, but seemingly worked on his game in the AHL. Based on what I've seen - hey, I might be wrong - Bob would've just caved in and ran away along with his translator, vowing to never speak a word of English.

Like I said, I'm not overly happy with this signing, and I'm hoping Hovinen plays in the NHL next year, but this isn't the end of the world. It is true, though, that in the past couple of years teams that made the SC finals had better backups (yes, even the Kings with beach ball Bernier).
So much fail...

Old
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
nuclear reactor

I like the signing just to see all the usual experts around here get their panties in a bunch.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote